UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > How goes your kill season so far?
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Larry Hall
UKC Forum Member

How goes your kill season so far?

Ranger and I are having a pretty good fall this year so far.. Started in MI on Oct 1 and rolled thru into Indiana's season on Nov 8th.. I've had to travel a couple of week long stints for work, but been able to hunt a good bit..

I've treed just over 120 coons so far and knocked out around 80 of them.. Most I've treed in one night is 8..

Slick trees are far less prevalent this year than last.. Big difference between hunting a one year old vs a two year old.. Really looking forward to next year and even more maturity. Though the nights we have had troubles with them this year have been "special"

I believe this season has been harder than last from a weather stand point - We have had a bunch of tough nights, covering a lot of ground and only treeing a few coons. Lot of dens and holes in the moon cycle to boot. I have caught him crossing roads more this season so far than I can ever recall in past years with any dog.

Hoping we get a decent stint of weather prior to Christmas in the dark of the moon..

Been a pretty darn good year so far and am enjoying it immensely.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 12-10-2019 02:05 PM
Larry Hall is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Larry Hall Click here to Send Larry Hall a Private Message Click Here to Email Larry Hall Find more posts by Larry Hall Add Larry Hall to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

Well my season isn't near as good as yours. I've got a young female off of Cuz that can tree coons but seems to only want to run a warmer track. Which can be good some nights and terrible the next. Couple that to the fact I had to have back surgery in August and get tired pretty fast walking. Its not near as much fun as years past for me. The old dog I've got is still able to tree coons but she's getting old fast at 11. She has the want to go but can't handle hunting more than a 2 days a week.

And
Partners on a few common trashy young dogs

Gone but not forgotten

GrNtCh, PKC Ch Hillbilly Bildo
Pr Broken Oaks Wild Blue Gypsy

Old Post 12-10-2019 02:25 PM
novicane65 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for novicane65 Click here to Send novicane65 a Private Message Click Here to Email novicane65 Find more posts by novicane65 Add novicane65 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Larry Hall
UKC Forum Member

Eric - sounds like the back problems are hopefully behind you after you heal up..

Real young dogs and real old dogs are certainly a different proposition.. I'm getting ready to start a pup in the near future that just turned 5 months old, so will have that same situation this spring and summer..

She's already gamey and interested in track and tree scent.. led her into a couple of trees and shot the coon out to her and pranked her with a coon hide a few times.. She will be ready to start when and if we get a January thaw I believe..

She leads, loads, rides, knows to come and has some manners, so the ground work is done.

Got down to 17 degrees here last night and similar again tonight so a bit of a break, but calling for nice temps Thur-Friday..

Old Post 12-11-2019 01:58 PM
Larry Hall is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Larry Hall Click here to Send Larry Hall a Private Message Click Here to Email Larry Hall Find more posts by Larry Hall Add Larry Hall to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote