UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > UKC Free Classifieds > Coonhound Classifieds > Treeing Walkers: Dogs and Puppies For Sale > Battle of the Greats: Gann's Finisher vs Swinney's Diamond Jim
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Hounder2014
New UKC Forum Member

Battle of the Greats: Gann's Finisher vs Swinney's Diamond Jim

Hello,

Since I'm kind of a history freak, I thought a great topic would be some of the famous dogs of the past that may have gone head to head in competition.

This thread will probably be aimed more towards the seasoned gents who remember well the great ones and many even hunted with them. I'm sure HistoryNutt will have some commentary to provide

Now, I'm not sure of these dogs ever butted heads, but if they did, someone please chime in with the details. If they never competed against each other, perhaps we can talk about the what-if's

This Round: Gann's Finisher vs. Swinney's Diamond Jim. Both World Champions, both LEGENDS

We'll feature other dogs/battles in future threads, so let's just keep this about Finn and Jim (in future, might be Jim vs. Carolina Casey, or Beanblossom Buck vs. Hillbilly Mac)

Last edited by Hounder2014 on 06-28-2014 at 01:11 AM

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 06-28-2014 12:32 AM
Hounder2014 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Hounder2014 Click here to Send Hounder2014 a Private Message Click Here to Email Hounder2014 Find more posts by Hounder2014 Add Hounder2014 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Joe~mcavoy
UKC Forum Member

Winner takes on Carolina Casey

Old Post 06-28-2014 01:06 AM
Joe~mcavoy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Joe~mcavoy Click here to Send Joe~mcavoy a Private Message Click Here to Email Joe~mcavoy Find more posts by Joe~mcavoy Add Joe~mcavoy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sauk Talking
UKC Forum Member

Swinney's Diamond Jim gets my vote,, had many a grand pup of his, the only thing I liked better was when you crossed his blood with Crowding Billy, was the best I ever had..

Old Post 06-28-2014 01:16 AM
Sauk Talking is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sauk Talking Click here to Send Sauk Talking a Private Message Find more posts by Sauk Talking Add Sauk Talking to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hounder2014
New UKC Forum Member

BUMP for a good cause! C'mon guys, let's talk about the oldies but goodies

Old Post 06-29-2014 05:19 PM
Hounder2014 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Hounder2014 Click here to Send Hounder2014 a Private Message Click Here to Email Hounder2014 Find more posts by Hounder2014 Add Hounder2014 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Riverbottom Ron
UKC Forum Member

1st round

I WOULD GIVE TO DIAMOND JIM,,I HAD A MALE OUT JIM HE WAS A BIG DOG WITH A CALICO EAR THAT WAS THE BEST WALKER ID EVER OWNED ,,IF I HAD ONE LIKE HIM NOW DAYS I WOULD STILL BE HUNTIN WALKER DOGS BEANBLOSSOM BUCK COME ON.

ALWAYS REMEMBER GOD GAVE US FRIENDS AND COONHOUNDS, " I AM A GREATLY BLESSED",HIGHLY FAVORED" " IMPERFECT BUT FORGIVEN CHILD OF GOD "KEEP YOUR {FAITH IN GOD } FAITH SEES THE INVISIBLE,BELIEVES THE INCREDIBLE,AND RECIEVES THE IMPOSSIBLE. WERE BLESSED !!

Old Post 06-29-2014 08:45 PM
Riverbottom Ron is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Riverbottom Ron Click here to Send Riverbottom Ron a Private Message Find more posts by Riverbottom Ron Add Riverbottom Ron to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gunslinger266
Banned

I used to sit at Buddy Gilberts house and listen to stories about Jim and Billy, Buddy really loved the Jim dog. I have heard lots of old timers say Jim was the best they ever saw.

Old Post 06-29-2014 09:58 PM
gunslinger266 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for gunslinger266 Click here to Send gunslinger266 a Private Message Click Here to Email gunslinger266 Find more posts by gunslinger266 Add gunslinger266 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RedCreek Hunter
UKC Forum Member

Correct me if I’m wrong but I believe they went Head to Head in 74’ in the final cast of the ACHA world championship that Jim won. Finn placed 3rd.

Old Post 03-13-2020 03:22 PM
RedCreek Hunter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RedCreek Hunter Click here to Send RedCreek Hunter a Private Message Find more posts by RedCreek Hunter Add RedCreek Hunter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dbpro56
UKC Forum Member

I would think John Monroe or James Merchant would have some insight on this! My good buddy, Jim Moore, who passed away a couple years ago, has told me stories about some of the past legends, and hunting against them. He had a great story about a Plott hound vs a famous Walker dog in a challenge hunt. I can't remember who owned the Walker dog, but I believe Benny Moore owned the Plott. The hunt was held in Greenfield, Ohio.

Bruce Profitt

Old Post 03-13-2020 04:16 PM
dbpro56 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dbpro56 Click here to Send dbpro56 a Private Message Click Here to Email dbpro56 Find more posts by dbpro56 Add dbpro56 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
arkansas cooner
UKC Forum Member

I got some stuff with crowding billy x diamond jim up pretty close!

Old Post 03-13-2020 05:23 PM
arkansas cooner is offline Click Here to See the Profile for arkansas cooner Click here to Send arkansas cooner a Private Message Click Here to Email arkansas cooner Find more posts by arkansas cooner Add arkansas cooner to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
arkansas cooner
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by D Ray
How close is pretty close?

Pm sent

Old Post 03-14-2020 12:04 AM
arkansas cooner is offline Click Here to See the Profile for arkansas cooner Click here to Send arkansas cooner a Private Message Click Here to Email arkansas cooner Find more posts by arkansas cooner Add arkansas cooner to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
stonehill
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by dbpro56
I would think John Monroe or James Merchant would have some insight on this! My good buddy, Jim Moore, who passed away a couple years ago, has told me stories about some of the past legends, and hunting against them. He had a great story about a Plott hound vs a famous Walker dog in a challenge hunt. I can't remember who owned the Walker dog, but I believe Benny Moore owned the Plott. The hunt was held in Greenfield, Ohio.
The Plott was Trents Rowdy and the walker was Banjo II owned by James Merchant . English breeder Berton Oney judged the hunt and Banjo II won it.

A houndsmans drive is not the thrill of the kill it's the sound of the hound !!!

Old Post 03-14-2020 10:21 AM
stonehill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for stonehill Click here to Send stonehill a Private Message Click Here to Email stonehill Find more posts by stonehill Add stonehill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dbpro56
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by stonehill
The Plott was Trents Rowdy and the walker was Banjo II owned by James Merchant . English breeder Berton Oney judged the hunt and Banjo II won it.

I think you're right! My friends name was Jim Moore, and he was a spectator on that hunt! I don't remember how he said it turned out.

Bruce Profitt

Old Post 03-16-2020 04:14 PM
dbpro56 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dbpro56 Click here to Send dbpro56 a Private Message Click Here to Email dbpro56 Find more posts by dbpro56 Add dbpro56 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RedCreek Hunter
UKC Forum Member

BTT

Old Post 12-11-2020 06:25 PM
RedCreek Hunter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RedCreek Hunter Click here to Send RedCreek Hunter a Private Message Find more posts by RedCreek Hunter Add RedCreek Hunter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
James B Grice
UKC Forum Member

Arkansas Cooner, How close to Crowding Billy ?

Old Post 12-11-2020 11:52 PM
James B Grice is offline Click Here to See the Profile for James B Grice Click here to Send James B Grice a Private Message Click Here to Email James B Grice Find more posts by James B Grice Add James B Grice to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
D Ray
New UKC Forum Member

Jim/Finn

There’s some of that Jim and Finisher Blood still around

---------------- NITECH SHETLER’S SONNY BOY
------------- NITECH ‘PR’ FINLEY RIVER CHIEF
---------------- BIXLER’S SUPREME SALLY
--------- CH NITECH ‘PR’ SPRING CREEK CB
---------------- CH NITECH MOTLEY’S MO MAJOR
-------------"PR" MONROE’S CINDY
---------------- MOTLEY’S OKLAHOMA CANDY
-----GRCH GRNITECH ‘PR’ SPRING CREEK ROCK
----------------OAK RIDGE HIRED HAND
------------‘PR’ STONE COUNTY BOSS
----------------SHETLER’S BAWLING QUEEN
---------‘PR’ WILLOW SLOUGH KATE
---------------- GRNITECH DEEP RIVER MIKE
------------ ‘PR’ MILLERS SUE
---------------- NELSON’S QUEEN
Pups
---------------- ‘PR’ HURON RIVER JIM
--------------GRNITECH SWINNEY’S DIAMOND JIM
---------------- ‘PR’ JOLLYS HURON RIVER SUE
--------- GRNITECH ‘PR’ MOFFET’S W.C. DEAMON
---------------- GRNITECH'PR" GANNS FINISHER
-------------"PR" FUTRELLS QUEEN
----------------"PR" MARTINS CANDY GIRL
------‘PR’ MORGAN’S DIAMOND GEM
---------------- GRNITECH ‘PR’ HOUSE’S CLINT
------------GRCH GRNITECH ‘PR’ HOUSES’S LIPPER
---------------- ‘PR’ HOUSE’S QUEEN LOU
---------‘PR’ MORGAN’S QUEEN
---------------- GRNTCH ‘PR’ MACHINEGUN CASEY
------------ ‘PR’ MACHINE GUN STYLISH RUBY
---------------- NITECH ‘PR’ STYLISH JEWEL

Old Post 01-28-2023 12:59 PM
D Ray is offline Click Here to See the Profile for D Ray Click here to Send D Ray a Private Message Find more posts by D Ray Add D Ray to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
stsims65
UKC Forum Member

Ganns Finisher

Loved those hounds . i had a grand pup out of him , one of the best i owned

Old Post 02-02-2023 05:07 AM
stsims65 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for stsims65 Click here to Send stsims65 a Private Message Click Here to Email stsims65 Visit stsims65's homepage! Find more posts by stsims65 Add stsims65 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
stsims65
UKC Forum Member

Ganns Finisher

Loved those hounds . i had a grand pup out of him , one of the best i owned

Old Post 02-02-2023 05:07 AM
stsims65 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for stsims65 Click here to Send stsims65 a Private Message Click Here to Email stsims65 Visit stsims65's homepage! Find more posts by stsims65 Add stsims65 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote