UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Inbred/linebred
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
MJRKENNELS
UKC Forum Member

Inbred/linebred

Grandpup to grandma let’s hear everyone’s opinion

nitech moe's hardwood stone RIP 8/4/14
moe's hardwood buster
moe's hardwood june
L&R hardwood gun

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 10-16-2018 04:46 PM
MJRKENNELS is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MJRKENNELS Click here to Send MJRKENNELS a Private Message Find more posts by MJRKENNELS Add MJRKENNELS to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Larry Atherton
UKC Forum Member

Inbred is usually father to daughter, mother to son, brother to sister. That is breeding to a direct and not extended relative. Line breeding is considered everything else.

Grandpup to grandmother would fall under line breeding.

Technically, line breeding is a form of inbreeding. Line breeding is usually a safer alternative to direct inbreeding. Other words, it is less likely to combine nasty recessive genes. Notice it is not a guarantee that nasty recessive genes won't happen. This is one reason a good knowledge base of a dog's family can be important.

Aim small miss small

Old Post 10-16-2018 05:02 PM
Larry Atherton is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Larry Atherton Click here to Send Larry Atherton a Private Message Click Here to Email Larry Atherton Visit Larry Atherton's homepage! Find more posts by Larry Atherton Add Larry Atherton to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
4play
UKC Forum Member

Re: Inbred/linebred

quote:
Originally posted by MJRKENNELS
Grandpup to grandma let’s hear everyone’s opinion

Line breeding!

Grand mother to Grand son
Grand father to Grand daughter
Uncle to Niece
Aunt to Nephew

jmo

Nitech Stylish Clover Shark Jill - RIP 'Ole Girl
{Great White Shark x Brush Creek Patch}

Old Post 10-16-2018 05:32 PM
4play is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 4play Click here to Send 4play a Private Message Click Here to Email 4play Find more posts by 4play Add 4play to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

Re: Re: Inbred/linebred

quote:
Originally posted by 4play
Line breeding!

Grand mother to Grand son
Grand father to Grand daughter
Uncle to Niece
Aunt to Nephew

jmo

And half brother to half sister which we have done successfully several times.
Any of the above combos are considered line breeding. Father to daughter or mother to son is considered inbreeding and your papers will be marked as such.
If you have a line with traits you wish to carry on these are all good ways to do it. Recessive genes many of which are good will be carried on but always be on the lookout for the bad.

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER PRO SPORT TRUCK WINNER

RIP
*GRNITECH PKC SCH REDNECK MAFIA PKC HALL OF FAME REPRODUCER INDUCTED 2022
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Old Post 10-16-2018 07:51 PM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
johnny reb
UKC Forum Member

With inbreeding or tight linebreeding the best and the worst traits will double up. So if there are certain traits that you are looking for that the line has you will get them and the. Bad

Old Post 10-16-2018 08:07 PM
johnny reb is offline Click Here to See the Profile for johnny reb Click here to Send johnny reb a Private Message Click Here to Email johnny reb Find more posts by johnny reb Add johnny reb to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Adam Davis
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: Inbred/linebred

quote:
Originally posted by Redneck Mafia
And half brother to half sister which we have done successfully several times.
Any of the above combos are considered line breeding. Father to daughter or mother to son is considered inbreeding and your papers will be marked as such.
If you have a line with traits you wish to carry on these are all good ways to do it. Recessive genes many of which are good will be carried on but always be on the lookout for the bad.

They don't stamp papers anymore, I believe or my last inbreed ones were not stamped

Old Post 10-16-2018 08:17 PM
Adam Davis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Adam Davis Click here to Send Adam Davis a Private Message Find more posts by Adam Davis Add Adam Davis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Just my limited experience but you have to be careful to breed well balanced dogs. If you breed tight mouth dogs, you might get silent hounds. If you breed open mouthed dogs, you might get babblers. If you breed quick tree dogs you might get slick tree dogs. You can turn not so bad traits into traits that are unacceptable. Also when linebreeding you have to look at not only the 2 dogs that you are breeding but the traits of their whole family or line.

Old Post 10-16-2018 08:43 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Larry D Walker
UKC Forum Member

Hunting an inbred pup now

I am hunting a 12 month old female from a mother to son cross...i see so many similarities its amazing really..similarities from both dam an sire...so far i am very well pleased and glad i made the cross...time will tell with final product..i suspect she will reproduce my kinda dog regardless of her final ability...i like what i am seeing...

Indiana

812-327-8224

Old Post 10-17-2018 10:06 PM
Larry D Walker is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Larry D Walker Click here to Send Larry D Walker a Private Message Find more posts by Larry D Walker Add Larry D Walker to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lambert
Just my limited experience but you have to be careful to breed well balanced dogs. If you breed tight mouth dogs, you might get silent hounds. If you breed open mouthed dogs, you might get babblers. If you breed quick tree dogs you might get slick tree dogs. You can turn not so bad traits into traits that are unacceptable. Also when linebreeding you have to look at not only the 2 dogs that you are breeding but the traits of their whole family or line.

I agree with Richard...

A well bred young dog that is line bred and inbred and from a long line of outstanding dogs that hunts pretty good is worth quite a bit to me...

A great young dog that is scatter bred is not worth that much to me...I don't just look at the pup...I place a lot of value on parents, grand parents and great grand parents...

Linebreeding carefully is very important...a line bred dog could be half Walker and half Chow...etc

Old Post 10-18-2018 02:20 AM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkinriver
UKC Forum Member

Reuben please explain how a half walker and half chow could be linebred. That is considered a F1 hybrid. Breeding for traits in two different breeds isn't linebreeding. True linebreeding is family breeding or so I've been taught.

Old Post 10-18-2018 03:47 AM
yadkinriver is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkinriver Click here to Send yadkinriver a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkinriver Visit yadkinriver's homepage! Find more posts by yadkinriver Add yadkinriver to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
honalieh
UKC Forum Member

Linebreeding/Inbreeding

The best article I ever read on linebreeding/inbreeding was written by Dr. Braxton Sawyer, and was published in the American Cooner. It was written in layman's terms and made perfect sense to me. I think that it was 1978 when it was first in the Cooner, and it was republished sometime later (80's) in the Cooner.

I also remember reading an article by Dr. Richard Guill (a coonhunter, and a geneticist by trade). It was a little too technical (with mathematical formulas for calculating coefficients of inbreeding). I did hunt with one of his Gr. Nite Ch. stud dogs (not the caliber of dog I'd want).

Over the years, I've seen people that may struggle to even spell "genetics" consistently produce dogs that are much better than those produced by the so-called genetic experts.

In "Run For The Roses" by Dan Fogelberg, he sings: "It's breeding, and training, and something unknown". I think that fits best. It seems that some overthink this process. Well, thinking about it doesn't make coondogs. Knowing what you are doing, knowing what you are seeing and a good doggie eye work much better than any level of genetic(pedigree) knowledge.

Old Post 10-18-2018 04:58 AM
honalieh is offline Click Here to See the Profile for honalieh Click here to Send honalieh a Private Message Click Here to Email honalieh Find more posts by honalieh Add honalieh to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kler Kry
UKC Forum Member

Dog Breeding

If you don't want another dog just like poorest of the dogs being considered for the mating then don't make the cross no matter what the relationship.
I've observed that inbreeding or linebreeding does not usually improve the overall ability above that of the parents but allows you to maintain the level that you have in the parents. If you are trying to maintain traits that are recessive it is a great way to do that.
Inbred crosses can increase purity and give the breeder a chance to eliminate unwanted traits such as aggressive behavior as it is dominant and individuals that don't display it can be used in future generations without fear of the trait being passed on.
Poor quality results are often blamed on linebreeding or inbreeding, but poor results are usually because of one of the parents is carrying genetic faults and maybe not both. One of the parents would probably produce unwanted traits if completely outcrossed.
I prefer to use linebred or inbred dogs because they are more likely to reproduce whatever they are in their offspring. Proper evaluation and selection is individuals is more important than the relationship of the possible mates. This is my opinion. Ken Risley

Old Post 10-18-2018 08:30 AM
Kler Kry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Kler Kry Click here to Send Kler Kry a Private Message Click Here to Email Kler Kry Find more posts by Kler Kry Add Kler Kry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Re: Dog Breeding

quote:
Originally posted by Kler Kry
....... Proper evaluation and selection in individuals is more important than the relationship of the possible mates. This is my opinion. Ken Risley

I would say that proper evaluation and selection is just as important as the relationship. When you put the 2 together then you make what should be a good cross. Using just one without the other is just like breeding a nice stud to a below average female and expecting to get nice pups.

Old Post 10-18-2018 06:54 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by yadkinriver
Reuben please explain how a half walker and half chow could be linebred. That is considered a F1 hybrid. Breeding for traits in two different breeds isn't linebreeding. True linebreeding is family breeding or so I've been taught.

I said that to get folks to thinking...it is radical but I believe this happens with purebred dogs...using the chow was really a purebred dog of the same breed but from a mediocre line of the same breed which could be like breeding to that chow in this way...the dog might be a Walker in looks but none of the right traits are there in said dog nor in many of its relatives...so I thought I would use the chow in the example...

So we breed that top Walker named Joe Boy to that chow gyp...Joe Boy's sire is a great Walker himself who is linebred from great walker dogs...we keep a female out of the chow and Joe Boy cross and we cross her back to her sire (Joe Boy). So in my opinion those 3/4 walkers with the 1/4 chows have a somewhat decent pedigree...the pups are inbred and linebred...IMO that is one reason we have a high percentage of culls...

I used chow to minimize confusion...but in reality it could be a Walker that doesn't fit in the breeding program...

Old Post 10-19-2018 01:57 AM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkinriver
UKC Forum Member

OK Gotcha Reuben. The half and half isn't linebred but after breeding a daughter back to her sire making it 3/4 and 1/4 it is.

Old Post 10-19-2018 06:02 AM
yadkinriver is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkinriver Click here to Send yadkinriver a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkinriver Visit yadkinriver's homepage! Find more posts by yadkinriver Add yadkinriver to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote