UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > ? About coonhunters
Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
wjoey
Banned

Here is the deal with coonhunters , every dog they send out to be hunted is the best you will ever hunt so there doing you a favor to let you hunt it and on top of that giving you $300 because there so generous and when you dont win with it is your fault

UKC PREFORMANCE SIRE Nt ch pkc ch BAM BAM The only one out of WORLD CH BIG D X GRNT SKIPPERS UMFORGIVEN SAIGE she has 21 pups 4nt ch 5 grnt ch thats 42.85%
He is a coon dog!
Nt ch ch Insane Minnie MouseInsane cain x Malden Branch Mouse

HOME OF 2 TIME AQHA HORSE OF THE YEAR
World champion working cow horse snaffle bit
SMART LITTLE LEGEND
ETCHA CHAMPION
HCHA CHAMPION
Top 16 NCHA WORLD Champion
Home of GHSRA All Around Cowboy Champion Chris wilbanks

Jerico Rebel our Movie star horse hes been in three films now 35 years old
Just passed away February 4th 2016

MY OLD DOGS GONE BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN
The one I will allways miss now deceased 01/09/2013
GR CH GRAND NT CH Handosme Trudy
SIRE PKC WLD CH GR NT WHATS UP DOC
DAM GR NT HUTCHINS SUGAR

GRCH GR NT CH COBBLER CREEK WENDY
GR NT STYLISH TUFF - WENDY X STYLISH LIPPER
GR NT STYLISH TACK - WENDY X STYLISH LIPPER

NT CH SOUTHERN STYLE - JP'S HIGH STYLE X HOUSES LADY

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 12-08-2018 05:18 AM
wjoey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wjoey Click here to Send wjoey a Private Message Find more posts by wjoey Add wjoey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
thomasg
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by TylerOSU
Not all dogs have what it takes to be at my standards of keeping around. All of them I've sold has went on to do big things but they had one thing or another I didn't like so they went down the road. I made the UKC top 100 with an 18 month old pup... he had a few mental quirks so down the road he went. I'm a dog hunter/trainer not a miracle worker
just about anything some one sends you as been so messed up it takes at least 90 days to start seeing any results . the last one i took on for some one i hunted it one night and called him the next day and explained to him the best thing for me to do would be lay the dog up for a month and just work on some basic things around the house and gain some measure of trust with it . .not much you can do with one that goes and hides under the truck when turned loose ,lol

Old Post 12-08-2018 10:12 AM
thomasg is offline Click Here to See the Profile for thomasg Click here to Send thomasg a Private Message Click Here to Email thomasg Find more posts by thomasg Add thomasg to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Coonhounds in my opinion are different that other breeds when it comes to training. Most of the stuff a coonhound does comes from its heart and genetic package. You just have to put it in the woods and let it unleash its fury on the coon. Most guys send dogs off to be trained because they don't have the time to put the dogs in the woods on a regular basis and train the dog through repetition. Thing is that these guys get the dog back and they still don't have the time to hunt it and it sits in the pen. If your going to coon hunt and don't have much time. Get yourself a trained dog as it is cheaper and easier in the long run. If you get a pup but at a certain young age you want more hunting on the pup that you can do or you want another set of hands on the dog for a while. Then get someone like Tyler to hunt the dog for you.
I had a lot of things going on back in September with AO and then a Family vacation right after that. So I sent a young one up to Cecil Pittman's in South Ga. Figured it would be better that him sitting the pen. He spent a month with him and he came back a better dog than he was when he left here. That is all a man can ask for.

Old Post 12-08-2018 01:00 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ole hoss
UKC Forum Member

I use to hunt a lot of dogs for people. I can tell you now it made me hate dogs and the stud dogs they were out of until I realized it never was the dogs it was the FOOLISH people leading them. In order to make a solid coon dog it doesn’t start at 2 yrs old. It starts at the womb. Everything you do to a SMART well bred pup from that moment on in reputaition will either make or break the pup.
If you compition Hunt and our as picky as I am it takes ALOT of time to train them. I don’t care what the dog is out of and how much momma and daddy have won!! It takes ALOT of rubber to get one compition ready. Let me explain competition ready in my eyes. Must lead with out pulling me, Must leave good when snap is popped, Must be looking to get treed and try to have a coon, Must not pay attention to the other dogs, Must recut as good as he left the first time, Must stay treed, must stay away from ALL lights, Must not bog down on the track much, and must KNOW HIS NAME!!
Now I can’t make that in 30 nights!! Send me a dog someone FOOLISH has had and I may never be able to fix what he’s had done all his life. Sometimes when something bad happens to me I never forget it and neither does a dog.
So to answer the question ALOT it would take someone ALOT to get me to hunt a dog. I can make more starting and getting pups headed in the right direction than I can hunting a dog for someone that someone else has messed up or that just dont got what it takes. I enjoy hunting a young dog that I have raised a lot more than I do someone else’s mistakes

Old Post 12-09-2018 01:49 AM
ole hoss is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ole hoss Click here to Send ole hoss a Private Message Click Here to Email ole hoss Find more posts by ole hoss Add ole hoss to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JiM
UKC Forum Member

I understand what you are saying Jason but seriously, there aren't one dog in a thousand out there that measures up to your criteria and if your comp ready dogs were the only ones at the hunts, every club in the country would close.
But I agree the owners today have far more shortages that the pups being born.
Our society today is instant everything. Very few can or will put in the hours necessary to make the winning hounds.

AKC/UKC GrNtCh Sizemore's Timber Jam Jessi 12/21/04 to 1/21/2011 R.I.P.

Old Post 12-09-2018 02:22 AM
JiM is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JiM Click here to Send JiM a Private Message Click Here to Email JiM Find more posts by JiM Add JiM to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rip
UKC Forum Member

All right now you will get some from the other side LOL.

I used to hunt 4 to 5 nights a week. Always had a good hound. Won my share. It was from putting time in the woods.

Now I am on the other end. I don't have the time to hunt but I can pay someone to hunt a dog or two for me.

Most ain't worth nowhere near 300 a month and feed. Always some excuse, raining, cold, had to go here or there. Dog don't get hunted much more than if I kept it here and hunted it on my limited schedule only difference is I pay someone to have the fun I would have had with results about the same as me cause they really ain't hunting it much more than I would.

Sure the right person would be easily worth 1000 bucks per month and I would gladly pay that to the right person.

They are as hard to find as a good dog.

Old Post 12-09-2018 03:24 AM
Rip is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rip Click here to Send Rip a Private Message Click Here to Email Rip Visit Rip's homepage! Find more posts by Rip Add Rip to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ole hoss
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by JiM
I understand what you are saying Jason but seriously, there aren't one dog in a thousand out there that measures up to your criteria and if your comp ready dogs were the only ones at the hunts, every club in the country would close.
But I agree the owners today have far more shortages that the pups being born.
Our society today is instant everything. Very few can or will put in the hours necessary to make the winning hounds.

I put the time in. Does not matter about the weather, or time of year at dark I go hunting. I don’t know what it is I just have to go. I have took more time off this week than I have since I started. My wife’s son was killed in a car accident and I feel she’s more important than any dog. Visitation today, funeral tomorrow and then ill be back in the woods to grieve my way.
I do agree jim the dog I lead in a comp hunt is hard to find. Nearly impossible. But!! It’s not because of the dogs it’s because the people doesn’t put the time in. I can’t do it in 30 days I can’t mske it in 90 days but I can make them and I’ve proven it time and time again at a HIGH LEVEL.
IF a man wants to hunt on that level and can put up with my honesty and will pay me for my time then I’m willing to take 1. But I’m not gonna do it for nothing!!

Old Post 12-09-2018 04:30 PM
ole hoss is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ole hoss Click here to Send ole hoss a Private Message Click Here to Email ole hoss Find more posts by ole hoss Add ole hoss to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rip
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by ole hoss
I put the time in. Does not matter about the weather, or time of year at dark I go hunting. I don’t know what it is I just have to go. I have took more time off this week than I have since I started. My wife’s son was killed in a car accident and I feel she’s more important than any dog. Visitation today, funeral tomorrow and then ill be back in the woods to grieve my way.
I do agree jim the dog I lead in a comp hunt is hard to find. Nearly impossible. But!! It’s not because of the dogs it’s because the people doesn’t put the time in. I can’t do it in 30 days I can’t mske it in 90 days but I can make them and I’ve proven it time and time again at a HIGH LEVEL.
IF a man wants to hunt on that level and can put up with my honesty and will pay me for my time then I’m willing to take 1. But I’m not gonna do it for nothing!!

If what you say is accurate I would have no problem paying you what it is worth.

The problem I have is that most are NOT worth the 300 and a bag of feed LOL.

This is just one mans perspective but I have been on both sides and finding someone to hunt a dog right is harder than finding a finished shore nuff coondog.

Old Post 12-09-2018 04:33 PM
Rip is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rip Click here to Send Rip a Private Message Click Here to Email Rip Visit Rip's homepage! Find more posts by Rip Add Rip to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ole hoss
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Rip
If what you say is accurate I would have no problem paying you what it is worth.

The problem I have is that most are NOT worth the 300 and a bag of feed LOL.

This is just one mans perspective but I have been on both sides and finding someone to hunt a dog right is harder than finding a finished shore nuff coondog.

I agree and the thing about it is there’s so many that will lie in order to get that $300!! I’m not the lying type and it’s costed me thousands but has also allowed me to lay my head down at night. I’ll tell anyone when they ask about my Grnt ch Pkc PCH chkc GR CH 4 yr old that he’s just a dog. Most nights I hate him some nights he’s alright but I am very hard to please and I’m always looking to make whatever I got a lil better.

Old Post 12-09-2018 05:31 PM