UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > New Father Question
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
arkansas cooner
UKC Forum Member

New Father Question

Father’s Day is here and I’ve never been a Father before. My wife and I are having a baby boy July 20th. I’ve coon hunted hard all my life. Nothing more I enjoy more than chasing these hounds. But I’ve never been a Dad before.

For the Dads out there, how do you balance the 2? My son will always come first, but I don’t want to quit hunting, or slow down to the point of not doing the dog justice. Did y’all quit hunting when your newborn was here? My wife has told me several times she still wants me to hunt hard but tht could change when he gets here. Lol
Just worried about it I guess

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 06-16-2018 12:19 AM
arkansas cooner is offline Click Here to See the Profile for arkansas cooner Click here to Send arkansas cooner a Private Message Click Here to Email arkansas cooner Find more posts by arkansas cooner Add arkansas cooner to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
joey
UKC Forum Member

Take care of mamma and the rest will be ok. Dogs do not need hunted as much as some think.

http://www.sunspotlights.com/
When brightness matters!!

Home Of:
PKC Ch, Grch Grnch 2008 Tx state champion They call me Crazy Betty

PKC SCh CH Grnch They call me Howler too

Old Post 06-16-2018 12:55 AM
joey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for joey Click here to Send joey a Private Message Find more posts by joey Add joey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
arkansas cooner
UKC Forum Member

Thank you sir

Old Post 06-16-2018 12:56 AM
arkansas cooner is offline Click Here to See the Profile for arkansas cooner Click here to Send arkansas cooner a Private Message Click Here to Email arkansas cooner Find more posts by arkansas cooner Add arkansas cooner to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nextcoonhunters
UKC Forum Member

The secret is a good wife. Yeah slow down your hunting a Little help her out and enjoy. Beside the first year with the baby is a lot like coon hunting a lot of sleepless nights

Old Post 06-16-2018 12:58 AM
nextcoonhunters is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nextcoonhunters Click here to Send nextcoonhunters a Private Message Find more posts by nextcoonhunters Add nextcoonhunters to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Roy Grant
UKC Forum Member

Congrats. To both of you. This the hardest job God will ever give you too do, and get you the least prepared do it. Heck they don't even come marked this side up. You will never be done being a parent now.

Old Post 06-16-2018 01:40 AM
Roy Grant is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Roy Grant Click here to Send Roy Grant a Private Message Click Here to Email Roy Grant Find more posts by Roy Grant Add Roy Grant to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SOUTHERNSTYLE
UKC Forum Member

New Dad

Had twins born Halloween, most of the time I don’t think about hunting to be honest, I never would’ve believed it until I experienced it! There will be another dog brother enjoy your kid, only little once! I do manage to go once a week. The dog and you will make it count! Definitely not enough to train a pup though...

TRAIN EM ALONE!

PKC CH GRNTCH GRCH 'PR' MIDNIGHT FLY

Old Post 06-16-2018 02:01 AM
SOUTHERNSTYLE is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SOUTHERNSTYLE Click here to Send SOUTHERNSTYLE a Private Message Click Here to Email SOUTHERNSTYLE Find more posts by SOUTHERNSTYLE Add SOUTHERNSTYLE to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
B&Ttreed2017
Banned

Congrats!!

Its a totally different life when you have a child. We have 2 boys, Bradley just turned 7 and Darik just turned 9 and Ive been coon huntin since I was 13 and Im 41 now. I took both boys huntin a couple times and they both got "bit" by the coonhuntin bug. They now have their own hounds and they both eat, sleep,and relax with Coonhuntin on their minds. If they arent outside messin with their hounds they are sittin on the couch readin " Walk With Wick" books to each other. One Proud Father!!

Qualified for UKC World 2017
Won his first 4 Shows in a row
Made Champion at 11 months
Qualified for the Illinois Govenors Cup 2017
Owned & Handled by 10 yr old Lil Darik
Titus has been found!!! 4 hours north of us. Dariks Happy Again!
God Is Great!!

Bradleys Tenacious Super Star
Leons Darkside x Blue Label Lilly
2 Wins towards UKC Show Champion
Owned & Handled by 9 yr old Bradley__________________________
618-320-0880 Cell
~Rest In Peace Ole Boy~
Biehls Tenacious Jet
Hobo Hoss x Kansas Jewell

Old Post 06-16-2018 02:35 AM
B&Ttreed2017 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for B&Ttreed2017 Click here to Send B&Ttreed2017 a Private Message Click Here to Email B&Ttreed2017 Find more posts by B&Ttreed2017 Add B&Ttreed2017 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MR.RATMAN
Banned

Kids in bed is when its dad's time to play weather that time is in the woods or in bed with the wife. That will be your choice, but don't miss out on time with the kids. After they hit 4 or 5 then it's time to include them into the wood time. If you got a good women then she will understand that a man needs his relaxing time in the woods with his hound just don't forget that she needs her relaxing time as well now with a newborn

PKC CH Byers Boogar Hollow D
( Mojo On Tap X Midnight Fly )

Old Post 06-16-2018 05:15 AM
MR.RATMAN is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MR.RATMAN Click here to Send MR.RATMAN a Private Message Click Here to Email MR.RATMAN Find more posts by MR.RATMAN Add MR.RATMAN to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Congratulations and you have been given some good advice. I think life should be Structured as God first then Family and then the other things will still be there and just be another Blessing in your life. You will be amazed and how much time you have for everything. Congratulations and Happy Fathers Day.

Old Post 06-16-2018 12:26 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Triple K Kennel
UKC Forum Member

Kids & Coon Hunting.......

Believe it or Not, there is No Right or Wrong Answer Here.......You will just know on any given night. Let your Heart guide you in your decision.
Dont ever forget that this fine Hobby we do is just that.....a Hobby. Family Always should come first.
Just wait until your Son is Old enough to start helping you with the Hounds, such as feeding, Pen Cleaning & eventually Hunting them.
I have a Son that is 32 & a Daughter that is 13 & I have Coon Hunted for almost 39 yrs. I have made so many Wonderful Memories that involved Coonhunting with my Son, Daughter & Wife.
The Fun is about to begin for you........😉

Tim

Quality, Dependable Coon Lights--Built by a Coonhunter for Coonhunters
==================================
** Superior Lights

** Sunspot Hunting Lights

** Zepp's--Quality Products

** Boss Lights

**Brighteyes Lights

** They Twist it until they start believing it themselves**

Purina Dog Food
** Proven Results **

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Competition Coonhunters and Politicians
** Win anyway you have to & tell everyone what they want to hear **

Last edited by Triple K Kennel on 06-16-2018 at 12:38 PM

Old Post 06-16-2018 12:36 PM
Triple K Kennel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Triple K Kennel Click here to Send Triple K Kennel a Private Message Find more posts by Triple K Kennel Add Triple K Kennel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Black And Tan Man
UKC Forum Member

You have received some good advice. Just remember, you only get one chance to raise that boy. 18 years will fly by. There will always be dogs. Like it was said before, keep your family first, the rest will take care of itself.

Old Post 06-18-2018 12:37 AM
Black And Tan Man is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Black And Tan Man Click here to Send Black And Tan Man a Private Message Click Here to Email Black And Tan Man Find more posts by Black And Tan Man Add Black And Tan Man to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
chaz2012
Banned

Good dogs are hard to come by and woman are a dime a dozen, hunt harder your kid will respect you for that choice.

Charlie Portwood Jr.

Old Post 06-18-2018 03:21 PM
chaz2012 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for chaz2012 Click here to Send chaz2012 a Private Message Click Here to Email chaz2012 Find more posts by chaz2012 Add chaz2012 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gone walkin
UKC Forum Member

New father

Congrats on having a baby. Each family is different so not one awnswer is correct. Me and my wife have 5. 3 boys and 2 girls they range from 11 to 1 . All have been to the woods except the baby. I usally start taking them around 3 years old coonin squirrel deer turkey it dosnt matter. I dont care how loud they are how much they move nothing just get them in the woods for them to have fun. As far as chasing hounds at night it goes in waves for me some weeks i can get out every night and others im lucky to go once. I go to the woods to enjoy my dog shes not what she could be if i hunted hard but she gets it done for me. Dogs will come and go just enjoy the kids while they are kids.

Old Post 06-19-2018 12:16 AM
gone walkin is offline Click Here to See the Profile for gone walkin Click here to Send gone walkin a Private Message Find more posts by gone walkin Add gone walkin to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
cavecreek
UKC Forum Member

My son just turned 7 months old and I hunted just as hard as anyone before he came along. But now when I get home from work I want to stay in and play with him these hounds don’t bother me like they used to take the time you have coming with him cause like me you will wake up and he be almost a year old! But I do manage to hunt 2to maybe 3 nights a week most weeks.but when he gets here your heart will change good luck sir .

-nite ch. rough creek easys ragin crow (rip
-grandnite rough creek little Ann

Home of.
-nite ch. cavecreek coles storm

- pr- cavecreek dirty sally

Old Post 06-19-2018 03:02 AM
cavecreek is offline Click Here to See the Profile for cavecreek Click here to Send cavecreek a Private Message Click Here to Email cavecreek Find more posts by cavecreek Add cavecreek to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hey Preacher!!!
UKC Forum Member

1) God
2) Wife
3) Kids
4-Infinity) Everything else, including coon hunting.
Get this right and everything should work itself out just fine.
Oh, and congratulations on your first born!!!

...", nevertheless I am not ashamed, for I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that He is able to keep what I have committed to Him until that Day" - 2 Timothy 1:12

"Are we at last brought to such humiliating and debasing degradation that we can not be trusted with arms for our own defense?" - Patrick Henry

"Those who would give up essential Liberty,to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety" - Benjamin Franklin

Old Post 06-19-2018 03:14 AM
Hey Preacher!!! is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Hey Preacher!!! Click here to Send Hey Preacher!!! a Private Message Find more posts by Hey Preacher!!! Add Hey Preacher!!! to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jdgher
UKC Forum Member

New Father

Most of what i would say has been said already here. God, family and then the dogs for sure.
This reminded me. My wife use to get pretty fed up with me hunting too much and tell me about it. So I'd back off and stay home a few nights til she cooled off. For some of my buddies it was different, they'd say, ah my wife don't complain at all, she understands, as they hunted 5 nights a week or more. Most of those guys ended up divorced. I'm still married (26 years). My kids are grown now.
It's most important that you stay home and help your wife with that new born. You can still hunt, just don't overdue it.
When the boy gets old enough to hunt, be careful not to burn him out, taking him hunting too much, keep him wanting to go. Keep it fun.

Enjoy it. Time fly's.

GRNTCH PR' Steve-O and Chili's Red Flow
NTCH PR' Twisters Musical Red Huey DNA-VIP Perf Sire 06'07 Deceased 11/07
Former Home of
NTCH 'PR' Swann's Lonesome Red Music/ Kitty
NTCH. CH PR' SawBlade Red Reckon
NTCH. CH PR' Gher's Timber Mt. Brandy
Breeder of
GRNTCH PR' Daugherty's Red BUBBA
NTCH CH PR' BA'S Tree Top Rockin Griddle
NTCH PR' Lickcreek Backwoods Lil Red Annie

Old Post 06-20-2018 04:25 AM
jdgher is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jdgher Click here to Send jdgher a Private Message Click Here to Email jdgher Find more posts by jdgher Add jdgher to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

Years ago when I was hunting 5-6 nights a week my wife asked me this question. "Do those dogs live for you or do you live for them? " Made me realize I had my priorities wrong. Started putting God first, then my family. Married 48 years to the best woman I've ever known.

Old Post 06-20-2018 03:59 PM
Preacher Tom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Preacher Tom Click here to Send Preacher Tom a Private Message Click Here to Email Preacher Tom Find more posts by Preacher Tom Add Preacher Tom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
cstjohn
UKC Forum Member

Just remember dogs come and go. You can always Coonhunt at different times in your life. But you only have limited time and memories with your children. Sometimes you have to put hunting on hold for a while. It won’t kill you I promise. I hunted 7 nights a week until my little girl was born almost 4 years ago until I held her coonhunting was all I thought about. Not so much anymore I still hunt but it’s just more to scratch an itch. Congrats on your baby boy. We are expecting a boy on July 20 as well. Just don’t forget those little moments with him because you can never get them back. I’m glad I chose my kids over hunting that’s for sure

Old Post 06-20-2018 04:55 PM
cstjohn is offline Click Here to See the Profile for cstjohn Click here to Send cstjohn a Private Message Click Here to Email cstjohn Find more posts by cstjohn Add cstjohn to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote