UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Non Hunting Judge
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Todd Vermeulen
UKC Forum Member

Non Hunting Judge

Can a non hunting judge be used anytime? Even at a local club hunt with one cast?

Few weeks back I judged a cast, three nite champion dogs. I did not have a dog entered. I scored a situation at the end of the hunt where two dogs (one was winning) were scratched for off game. Was told few days later by one of the guys on the cast, that UKC told him that there should not have been a non hunting judge. That the cast should have voted on it and I should have only guided and kept score.

UKC apparently told him that they are only used for final four of major hunts.

I have talked to other guys and read up on it and I just wanted some clarification on this.

Thanks Todd

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 12-18-2018 03:55 PM
Todd Vermeulen is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Todd Vermeulen Click here to Send Todd Vermeulen a Private Message Click Here to Email Todd Vermeulen Find more posts by Todd Vermeulen Add Todd Vermeulen to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jeffrey robinso
UKC Forum Member

Non-hunting judges can be used anytime a club sees fit to do so.

Old Post 12-18-2018 04:19 PM
jeffrey robinso is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jeffrey robinso Click here to Send jeffrey robinso a Private Message Click Here to Email jeffrey robinso Find more posts by jeffrey robinso Add jeffrey robinso to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ssgied
UKC Forum Member

A non hunting judge can be assigned to any cast.

Old Post 12-18-2018 04:21 PM
ssgied is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ssgied Click here to Send ssgied a Private Message Click Here to Email ssgied Find more posts by ssgied Add ssgied to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Allen / UKC
Administrator

Re: Non Hunting Judge

quote:
Originally posted by Todd Vermeulen
Can a non hunting judge be used anytime? Even at a local club hunt with one cast?

Few weeks back I judged a cast, three nite champion dogs. I did not have a dog entered. I scored a situation at the end of the hunt where two dogs (one was winning) were scratched for off game. Was told few days later by one of the guys on the cast, that UKC told him that there should not have been a non hunting judge. That the cast should have voted on it and I should have only guided and kept score.

UKC apparently told him that they are only used for final four of major hunts.

I have talked to other guys and read up on it and I just wanted some clarification on this.

Thanks Todd

That's funny. Whomever told that "story" apparently didn't think you'd ask UKC if that's what they said. Not based on this specific info.

Old Post 12-18-2018 06:24 PM
Allen / UKC is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Allen / UKC Click here to Send Allen / UKC a Private Message Click Here to Email Allen / UKC Find more posts by Allen / UKC Add Allen / UKC to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Allen / UKC
Administrator

To clarify....

If you were not assigned by the official to serve as the non-hunting judge then you should not have been judging the cast. Cast members do not have the authority to assign an individual to act as a non-hunting judge. That must be done by the event official.

A non-hunting judge may be used for any cast at any time at any hunt for any reason. Again, that's a decision made by the club or club official.

Not sure where the "only for final fours" comes from.

Hope this helps Todd.

Old Post 12-18-2018 06:31 PM
Allen / UKC is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Allen / UKC Click here to Send Allen / UKC a Private Message Click Here to Email Allen / UKC Find more posts by Allen / UKC Add Allen / UKC to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Todd Vermeulen
UKC Forum Member

Allen,

Thank you for your clarification.

It was at my club. I was the acting HD. I didn't have a dog to hunt and thought that it would be the best way to impartially judge the cast, seeing that two guys came to the hunt together. I didn't want to see problems arise in any voting situation based on that idea.

I am just stating information that we have exchanged back and forth through texts. I just wanted to verify that I was doing things the right way.

I have heard some really interesting interpretations as of late on some of the rules on the back of the card and other that don't even exist.

Your help is much appreciated!

Todd

Old Post 12-18-2018 06:37 PM
Todd Vermeulen is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Todd Vermeulen Click here to Send Todd Vermeulen a Private Message Click Here to Email Todd Vermeulen Find more posts by Todd Vermeulen Add Todd Vermeulen to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Allen / UKC
Administrator

Ahh.. I understand your logic but, for future reference, know that rules require the HD to remain at the clubhouse. Even with only one cast.

Old Post 12-18-2018 07:02 PM
Chuck Allen
UKC Forum Member

This non-hunting judge rule should probably be used more often or at least the implied intent of using it. LOL

When the law of the land becomes unjust outlaws will rise to take their place in history.

Old Post 12-19-2018 12:46 PM
Chuck Allen is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Chuck Allen Click here to Send Chuck Allen a Private Message Find more posts by Chuck Allen Add Chuck Allen to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Bruce could take Peter hunts under his wing and teach him to be a hunt director.

Tar

Old Post 12-19-2018 01:08 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

If there is only one cast, why couldn't/shouldn't the Hunt Director go with the cast?

Old Post 12-19-2018 02:21 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bill(Chew)
UKC Forum Member

Richard, the HD can not make a decision. They have to convene a panel to hear the question.

If it's bad enough to have only one cast it's probably bad enough that I would rather stay at the club.

Old Post 12-19-2018 10:35 PM
Bill(Chew) is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bill(Chew) Click here to Send Bill(Chew) a Private Message Click Here to Email Bill(Chew) Find more posts by Bill(Chew) Add Bill(Chew) to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

If the hunt is using a MOH and only one cast, can the MOH go with them as a non hunting judge?

Old Post 12-19-2018 11:13 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote