UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Who here is in Florida?
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Peterhunts101
UKC Forum Member

Who here is in Florida?

I've been browsing this forum for a little bit and I'm curious who else is from Florida. I haven't seen one person yet, am I the only one lol

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 12-16-2018 04:50 PM
Peterhunts101 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Peterhunts101 Click here to Send Peterhunts101 a Private Message Find more posts by Peterhunts101 Add Peterhunts101 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JRoss4English
Banned

What part of Florida are you from

Old Post 12-16-2018 05:13 PM
JRoss4English is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JRoss4English Click here to Send JRoss4English a Private Message Find more posts by JRoss4English Add JRoss4English to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JRoss4English
Banned

I'm in central Florida

Old Post 12-16-2018 05:17 PM
JRoss4English is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JRoss4English Click here to Send JRoss4English a Private Message Find more posts by JRoss4English Add JRoss4English to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Peterhunts101
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by JRoss4English
I'm in central Florida

I'm in south florida in Palm beach county, not much hunting land around me its all been developed sadly

Old Post 12-16-2018 05:21 PM
Peterhunts101 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Peterhunts101 Click here to Send Peterhunts101 a Private Message Find more posts by Peterhunts101 Add Peterhunts101 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JRoss4English
Banned

I'm on the Polk/Seminole county line area... some hunting butt there are no clubs around here..

Old Post 12-16-2018 05:27 PM
Peterhunts101
UKC Forum Member

quote:
I'm on the Polk/Seminole county line area... some hunting butt there are no clubs around here..

I’m sure it’s better then where I am lol, do you coonhunt mostly public lands or do you have some good spots?

Old Post 12-16-2018 05:42 PM
JRoss4English
Banned

Yes I train on my property and then i run on public land /my dog will tree a coon at night or she will run a bobcat during the day I'm blessed in her ability....

Old Post 12-16-2018 06:04 PM
Peterhunts101
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Yes I train on my property and then i run on public land /my dog will tree a coon at night or she will run a bobcat during the day I'm blessed in her ability....

That’s cool, are there a lot of coon hunters around you? Also are you allowed to run your dogs on public land outta season if you’re not killing the coon? I know you can hunt small game year round, but the WMAs that I’ve seen all have individual seasons, and I’m not sure but some might not allow dogs out of season

Old Post 12-16-2018 09:14 PM
JRoss4English
Banned

Not too many with the coonhunting... a lot of hog guys .. Like is said I run some racoon.... During the day I will run bobcat hard we will go 10 to 30 miles a day ..... and yes I have permits for the wma there is a few of them..

Old Post 12-16-2018 09:54 PM
JRoss4English
Banned

It legal too shoot out a coon on your own land

Old Post 12-16-2018 09:56 PM
Peterhunts101
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Not too many with the coonhunting... a lot of hog guys .. Like is said I run some racoon.... During the day I will run bobcat hard we will go 10 to 30 miles a day ..... and yes I have permits for the wma there is a few of them..

I don’t have much land only bout an acre, not enough to hunt on. So I’m limited to other people’s land and wmas. How are gators up by you?

Old Post 12-16-2018 10:54 PM
JRoss4English
Banned

There are gators I like too think that it is another accomplishment for us too keep hunting I try my best not too putt my hound o that situation...

Old Post 12-16-2018 11:01 PM
JRoss4English
Banned

It's Balls too the walls when we run so if it would happen I dought anything would happen I gott my stuff together garmin GPS maps ...its not a game when where in the field... . PRACTICE MAKES PERFECT EXCEPT EVERYTHING IS ON THE LINE

Old Post 12-16-2018 11:11 PM
Peterhunts101
UKC Forum Member

quote:
There are gators I like too think that it is another accomplishment for us too keep hunting I try my best not too putt my hound o that situation...

How do you avoid them? Arent they everywhere in Florida in the swamps? Do you wade a lot where you are?

Old Post 12-17-2018 12:59 AM
gcblues
UKC Forum Member

North east florida

Old Post 12-17-2018 01:05 AM
gcblues is offline Click Here to See the Profile for gcblues Click here to Send gcblues a Private Message Find more posts by gcblues Add gcblues to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Peterhunts101
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by gcblues
North east florida

Alright you’re north of me a ways that’s cool. What’s the coonhunting like up there?

Old Post 12-17-2018 11:26 AM
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

NE Fl here. Palatka area. Conditions are always changing. Things were improving from the summer rains we had but the rain from the past week made things kind of bad again. But it is what it is and if you want to hunt you have to face the facts.

Old Post 12-17-2018 12:28 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Peterhunts101
UKC Forum Member

Re: .

quote:
Originally posted by Bruce m. Conkey
NE Fl here. Palatka area. Conditions are always changing. Things were improving from the summer rains we had but the rain from the past week made things kind of bad again. But it is what it is and if you want to hunt you have to face the facts.

It seems like everyone is from more north and central Florida lol south Florida must be really bad for coon hunting

Old Post 12-17-2018 06:55 PM
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

I was born and raised in South Fl. Left there in 1980 and it is like everywhere else. Rural land means more hunting. I had to drive 70 miles one way just to drop a dog and that was bak in the 60's and 70's. I think the Corbett WMA should be close to you and your best bet on land to hunt. Nothing easy about it but that is just the state we live in.

Old Post 12-17-2018 08:58 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Peterhunts101
UKC Forum Member

Re: .

quote:
Originally posted by Bruce m. Conkey
I was born and raised in South Fl. Left there in 1980 and it is like everywhere else. Rural land means more hunting. I had to drive 70 miles one way just to drop a dog and that was bak in the 60's and 70's. I think the Corbett WMA should be close to you and your best bet on land to hunt. Nothing easy about it but that is just the state we live in.

Did you ever coon hunt Corbett? I’m close to Corbett but they don’t allow dogs to even just tree coons not even shoot em outside of hunting season which is a stupid rule. By the way Are there any breeders or people selling dogs up by you? I’m looking at buying a finished dog in the next couple of months

Old Post 12-17-2018 11:10 PM
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

I really don't know any for sale.

Old Post 12-17-2018 11:35 PM
Cry Tough Blues
UKC Forum Member

Umatilla here up by Ocala National Forest

Old Post 12-18-2018 02:22 AM
Cry Tough Blues is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cry Tough Blues Click here to Send Cry Tough Blues a Private Message Find more posts by Cry Tough Blues Add Cry Tough Blues to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Peterhunts101
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Cry Tough Blues
Umatilla here up by Ocala National Forest

I’ve been wanting to go up there for a while, I hear the biking is pretty good

Old Post 12-18-2018 05:11 PM
Steve Fielder
UKC Forum Member

I'm in Pasco County on the west coast. I routinely drive 50 miles inland to hunt on private land. Coon hunting in Florida is the most challenging I've encountered and I've hunted in virtually every state where raccoons are hunted with hounds. Here are the normal challenges to Florida hunting;

1. Finding territory that will give a hunter permission to run dogs within reasonable driving distance.
2. Overcoming the natural tropic-related hardships of heat, humidity, snakes, gators, impenetrable thickets, deep water.
3. Finding clubs within reasonable distances that have ample guides to put the dogs in safe places to hunt.
4. While it is true we can hunt here when it's all snowed-in and cold up north, high water often is a deterrent even though the temperature is conducive to running hounds.

Old Post 12-21-2018 03:22 PM
Steve Fielder is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Steve Fielder Visit Steve Fielder's homepage! Find more posts by Steve Fielder Add Steve Fielder to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Peterhunts101
UKC Forum Member

Steve

My biggest problem that I’ve seen has to probably be number one. I’ve been looking at the property appraisers map, and everything is all developed, owned by some form of gov that won’t let you run dogs cause south Florida is like a mini downstate ny with so many rules it’s absurd. Then there’s some farms but they all seem to be factory farms. I gotta get outta this state lol

Old Post 12-22-2018 01:00 PM