UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > snake proof
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
PJ SPANGLER
UKC Forum Member

snake proof

just wondering how many people use snake proof gaiters vs snake boots . thinking of buying gaiter my snake boots are worn out.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 06-11-2019 02:29 AM
PJ SPANGLER is offline Click Here to See the Profile for PJ SPANGLER Click here to Send PJ SPANGLER a Private Message Click Here to Email PJ SPANGLER Find more posts by PJ SPANGLER Add PJ SPANGLER to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BGathright
UKC Forum Member

I live in north Texas. I wear Danner snake boots, just in case I dont see them.

Old Post 06-11-2019 04:26 PM
BGathright is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BGathright Click here to Send BGathright a Private Message Click Here to Email BGathright Find more posts by BGathright Add BGathright to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

PJ

I always wore snake boots and snake proof chaps over them. May have been over protection, but I felt safer, especially in rattlesnake country. The chaps provided additional protection against braiars, etc. Ask yourself the question, is the extra weight worth the peace of mind? In my case it was and will be. Dave

Old Post 06-12-2019 11:17 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

PJ

I always wore snake boots and snake proof chaps over them. May have been over protection, but I felt safer, especially in rattlesnake country. The chaps provided additional protection against braiars, etc. Ask yourself the question, is the extra weight worth the peace of mind? In my case it was and will be. Dave

Old Post 06-12-2019 11:40 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gary Roberson
UKC Forum Member

I wear the Chippewa Snake boots in the months when snakes are crawling here in Texas. When hunting in the mountains of NM and AZ, I don't worry about snakes though there are a few up there.
Adios,
Gary

Old Post 06-13-2019 05:45 PM
Gary Roberson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Gary Roberson Click here to Send Gary Roberson a Private Message Click Here to Email Gary Roberson Find more posts by Gary Roberson Add Gary Roberson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Gary Roberson

Have you ever been hit by a snake while hunting? I figure you probably get plenty if chances to get bit as much as you hunt. Just curious! Dave

Old Post 06-13-2019 09:41 PM
Gary Roberson
UKC Forum Member

Dave, luckily I have not been bitten. I have been struck at several times and was just out of range. I have had many dogs bitten but have only lost two of them. I have stepped on a couple in thick vegetation and that is the only reason that I was not bitten...the snake could not wheel around because of the thick stuff. By the time the snake could get to me, I was out of harms way.
I remember as a youngster walking my hounds around a big thicket, trying to find a bobcat. I was walking down a cow trail and an older dog was a couple of steps in front of me. It was dark and there was a heavy dew on the ground, about 60 degrees. I noticed something in the trail right in front of the old dog and before I could get him stopped, he walked right over the snake. I stepped back and said something, hopefully not a curse word and when I did the old dog turned around and walked back over the big rattler. This time, I saw him step right on the head of the tightly coiled snake. The snake never moved and did not rattle when I thumped him over the head with a stick. The snake simply was trying to stay warm and dry and did not want to be disturbed.
Snakes don't like to be in wet vegetation when it is cool and will lay in game trails or in roadways. They will crawl out on highways in the spring and fall at night as temperatures drop as the roads will be warmer and drier.
Adios,
Gary

Old Post 06-14-2019 02:25 PM
Gary Roberson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Gary Roberson Click here to Send Gary Roberson a Private Message Click Here to Email Gary Roberson Find more posts by Gary Roberson Add Gary Roberson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote