UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Close Call
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Close Call

Wow, talking about a close call, we had one tonight, While out coon hunting tonight, the young dog we recently purchased was running a coon to catch, threw that big locate and next thing we heard was what sounded like a tree falling it made so much noise. Silence from the dog, luckily he had treed close to us and upon investigation we ascertained that he had fallen from a leaning tree, approximately 20 feet off the ground ( coon still in the tree ). We thought sure he had seriously injured himself, but he came around, must have knocked the breath out of him, limping slightly he was put into truck. Went on hunting with our other dog and treed another coon, decided to get the dog back out and check him over good, he wanted to go hunting and seemed just fine. I said turn him loose and he went hunting, struck, ran and treed 3 coons up one tree. I was so thankful that he seemed to be okay, will check him out again in the morning, but he seems okay. Thank GOD, these dogs are pretty tough and GOD was watching over him. You really never know what can happen, it was just a fluke thing, he was right on that coon and followed the coon up that leaning tree, until he fell off and was really close to us when it happened ( we were road hunting ). Dave

Last edited by Dave Richards on 09-15-2020 at 09:36 AM

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 09-15-2020 08:39 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

I had 1 fall like that a few years back the next morning he had swelling or air around his chest but a few days later he was fine.

Old Post 09-15-2020 01:50 PM
pamjohnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pamjohnson Click here to Send pamjohnson a Private Message Click Here to Email pamjohnson Find more posts by pamjohnson Add pamjohnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Dog

He seems fine today, eating good, but favoring hind leg just a little. I sure am thankful to say the least, it sure could have turned out bad. Had this happened a long distance from us, we would have not known what happened. I suspect that similar things happen to other dogs and at times with fatal results. Having tracking collars sure has been a game changer. Dave

Old Post 09-15-2020 09:36 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ov_blues
UKC Forum Member

Me and my Dad bought a hound a few years ago. 1st turnout he ran and treed a coon and had a beautiful mouth on the track and was a super nice tree dog. I thought I am going to enjoy listening to this dog tree some coon. The next turn out he was running a track and then shut up. Didn’t hear anything so I pulled out the beep beep and after a few minutes he wasn’t moving. Tracked him down and found him laying almost dead at the bottom of a cave. Carried him out and took him to a vet who said he had a collapsed lung and once he inflated the lung he might die which he did just as soon as the vet did that. Paid a pretty good penny to listen to a dog tree one coon.

Old Post 09-16-2020 02:59 AM
ov_blues is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ov_blues Click here to Send ov_blues a Private Message Click Here to Email ov_blues Find more posts by ov_blues Add ov_blues to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cory Highfill
UKC Forum Member

We had a female that fell out years ago that seemed fine, but laid down under the next tree and was comatose when we got there. Emergency trip to the vet revealed that she had bruised her heart and had swelling and fluid around it, restricting her heartbeat. Took several months but she recovered.

Old Post 09-16-2020 03:18 AM
Cory Highfill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cory Highfill Click here to Send Cory Highfill a Private Message Click Here to Email Cory Highfill Find more posts by Cory Highfill Add Cory Highfill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Dog

Thankfully, he seems to be okay, hunted him tonight, he hunted fine ran and treed good, treed harder than usual. I definitely know how blessed we were that he was not killed. Him falling out of that tree sound just like a tree falling. I sure hope he never climbs a leaning tree or any tree ever again. Dave

Old Post 09-16-2020 07:25 AM