UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Hot nose vs. Cold nose
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
dustin15
UKC Forum Member

Hot nose vs. Cold nose

Which trees more coon?

GR NITE CH PR' Tuff River Angel
GR NITE CH PKC CH PR' Tuff River Crank
RIP GR NITE CH PR' Marcum's Wild Solo (handler)

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 07-01-2010 06:02 PM
dustin15 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dustin15 Click here to Send dustin15 a Private Message Click Here to Email dustin15 Find more posts by dustin15 Add dustin15 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JiM

Prolly depends on where you hunt.

Old Post 07-01-2010 06:03 PM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CWS
Banned

The hot nosed dog will tree way more coon then the cold nosed dog but you will also see more slick trees with a hot nosed dog.

The "great" dogs have both.

Old Post 07-01-2010 06:06 PM
CWS is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CWS Click here to Send CWS a Private Message Find more posts by CWS Add CWS to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Autumn Clements
UKC Forum Member

Depends all on conditions, time of yr etc..

With a hot nose dog I think you'll tree alot of coons closer and in less time than you will with a cold nose dog but when times get tough and coons are not moving good your not going to tree as many coons with a hot nose dog.

'PR'LEAD'S MIDNITE SASSY
CFC CH Canadian GCH Multi Group Placing MBPIG BBPIG LEGACYK STANNYFIELD PRIME TIME (AKC & UKC Pointed)
BPIG MBBPIG WINDAMIRS RED LIGHT DISTRICT V AMBERLANE
LEGACYK DARE TO DREAM V CBLUES
LEGACYK WHITE AS A GHOST V CBLUES

Gone but not forgotten
GRNITECH GRCH PKC CH'PR'CLEMENTS' BLUE PRANCER

GRNITECH GRCH'PR'SPIKE'S TWILITE HOOKER
'PR'PRANCER'S GETTIN DOWN N DIRTY (PrancerxHooker)
NITECH CH’PR’BUELL’S BLUE ROCKY(Whitey x Spice)

CKC BBPIG MARIES BABY BREEZE

Last edited by Autumn Clements on 07-01-2010 at 06:19 PM

Old Post 07-01-2010 06:10 PM
Autumn Clements is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Autumn Clements Click here to Send Autumn Clements a Private Message Click Here to Email Autumn Clements Find more posts by Autumn Clements Add Autumn Clements to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Autumn Clements
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by CWS
The "great" dogs have both.

cold nose dogs, can/will tree hot coons

'PR'LEAD'S MIDNITE SASSY
CFC CH Canadian GCH Multi Group Placing MBPIG BBPIG LEGACYK STANNYFIELD PRIME TIME (AKC & UKC Pointed)
BPIG MBBPIG WINDAMIRS RED LIGHT DISTRICT V AMBERLANE
LEGACYK DARE TO DREAM V CBLUES
LEGACYK WHITE AS A GHOST V CBLUES

Gone but not forgotten
GRNITECH GRCH PKC CH'PR'CLEMENTS' BLUE PRANCER

GRNITECH GRCH'PR'SPIKE'S TWILITE HOOKER
'PR'PRANCER'S GETTIN DOWN N DIRTY (PrancerxHooker)
NITECH CH’PR’BUELL’S BLUE ROCKY(Whitey x Spice)

CKC BBPIG MARIES BABY BREEZE

Old Post 07-01-2010 06:11 PM
Autumn Clements is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Autumn Clements Click here to Send Autumn Clements a Private Message Click Here to Email Autumn Clements Find more posts by Autumn Clements Add Autumn Clements to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Casey_Lee
UKC Forum Member

I'm with Autumn and JiM. Agree fully with both.

Old Post 07-01-2010 06:20 PM
Casey_Lee is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Casey_Lee Click here to Send Casey_Lee a Private Message Click Here to Email Casey_Lee Find more posts by Casey_Lee Add Casey_Lee to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Okie Dawg
UKC Forum Member

I don't think it is weather a dog is hot or cold nosed. It is how hot or cold of track it is willing to try to work. I think if you hunt them year around they are more apt to take them as they come and swap to a hotter track if they come to one. That is waht I think would show you the most coon on average in all conditions year in and year out.

Tonkawa Okla. 74653
580-628-0507
CH 'PR' Grady's Dark Woods Waylon -Bluetic

NITECH 'PR' Grady's Insane Tinker Bell (Tink) - Treeing walker --Okla. State Hunt open redg. winner

'PR' Grady's Barley - Treeing Walker

Old Post 07-01-2010 06:21 PM
Okie Dawg is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Okie Dawg Click here to Send Okie Dawg a Private Message Click Here to Email Okie Dawg Find more posts by Okie Dawg Add Okie Dawg to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Majestic Tree H
UKC Forum Member

I want the Largest Olfactory System I can Pack in the Nose and Brain, then I want to Put that In the Highest Preformance Frame and Conformation I can Build and the Most Important of all, The Highest Drive to Catch Ability.. "Cold Nosed and Fast"

Their in the Works !!

540-421-2875

PR, Saltlick's Blue Misty Linga "Bluetick Coonhound"

French X American Hounds

Old Post 07-01-2010 06:38 PM
Majestic Tree H is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Majestic Tree H Click here to Send Majestic Tree H a Private Message Click Here to Email Majestic Tree H Visit Majestic Tree H's homepage! Find more posts by Majestic Tree H Add Majestic Tree H to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pigsit
UKC Forum Member

To tell the truth, I don't think it makes any difference. The deciding factor is BRAINS; I've seen hot nosed and cold nosed dogs, both could tree a lot of coon, but they had to have the desire to catch game and brains enough to make their noses work best for them. I have also seen hot nose and cold nosed dogs that could tree slick and stand on their heads all night long. Brains and desire were the deciding factors. JMO. Tom

Dual GRNTCH Wendy
GRNTCH Cola
GrNtCH Honky Tonk Rock and Roll
Dual GRCH Bumper
Dual CH June
Dual CH Jill

Old Post 07-01-2010 06:45 PM
pigsit is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pigsit Click here to Send pigsit a Private Message Click Here to Email pigsit Find more posts by pigsit Add pigsit to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JiM

I also think think cold nosed dogs are the excuse used for slow track dogs and hot nose dogs are what coonhunters today call anything that can fast track a coon, especially if that fast tracker is tight with it's mouth.

Old Post 07-01-2010 07:25 PM
CWS
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by JiM
I also think think cold nosed dogs are the excuse used for slow track dogs and hot nose dogs are what coonhunters today call anything that can fast track a coon, especially if that fast tracker is tight with it's mouth.

Wow! What a true statement!

I hear that all the time. Well if you're dog didn't run threw the woods and pass 3 coon that my "cold" nosed dog tryed to work it wouldn't keep backing youre dog. Youre dog is treeing the easy "hot" tracks.

Got to love it! There are a few famous breeds that have alot of "cold" nosed dogs.

The walkers are all percieved to be "Hot" nosed. Maybe that's why they win nearly every major event.

Old Post 07-01-2010 07:50 PM
CWS is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CWS Click here to Send CWS a Private Message Find more posts by CWS Add CWS to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Christy
UKC Forum Member

Location: Sylva, North Carolina (the far Western Tip of the State)

ONE IMPORTANT THING TO REMEMBER IS DRIVE.

IT DOESNT MATTER WHAT KIND OF NOSE THE DOG HAS IF IT DOESNT HAVE THE DRIVE TO USE IT AND WANT TO TREE THE COON IT'S NOT GOING TO MATTER WHAT KIND OF NOSE IT HAS.

*GRCH NTCH'PR'RB'S Rock River Sid-R.I.P.

*CH'PR'Jet's Tember Shakin Sadie (UKC 2ND)

*Banjo

Independent Consultant for Jamberry Nails!! Check them out!!

Quincy-828-269-8768
OR Christy-828-269-4678---If we dont answer, please leave a message!!!

EVERYTHING happens for a reason.

Old Post 07-01-2010 07:52 PM
Christy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Christy Click here to Send Christy a Private Message Click Here to Email Christy Visit Christy's homepage! Find more posts by Christy Add Christy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
capt_agricultur
UKC Forum Member

Jmo

All hounds have the same nose....Some just have more Brains than others...JMO

Old Post 07-01-2010 08:27 PM
capt_agricultur is offline Click Here to See the Profile for capt_agricultur Click here to Send capt_agricultur a Private Message Click Here to Email capt_agricultur Find more posts by capt_agricultur Add capt_agricultur to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
OldSouth
UKC Forum Member

The biggest excuse for a poor track dog is he's cold nosed.You hear these poor fellows always saying my dog trailed a coon for an hour before the other dogs could even smell it and then the hot nosed dog joined in and got the tree on him.If your dog can trail a track for an hour before mine can even smell it,by the time mine can smell it as a cold track,your dog should be running it to catch and should get the tree first.Many times these so called cold nosed dogs aren't even on a coon.If a dog can smell a track good enough to strike it and dosen't go the wrong way,it should get better,not stay the same.It's amazing how some of these guys will listen to a dog trail around in the same spot for an hour and brag about how great a cold nose he has.The proper remark is;NO BRAIN;A comment above about a dog running thru and treeing a hot coon while a cold nosed dog tried to trail three different cold trails and ended up backing the other dog.Why didn't the dog tree at least one of his own.It's called NO BRAIN.

Old Post 07-01-2010 08:33 PM
OldSouth is offline Click Here to See the Profile for OldSouth Click here to Send OldSouth a Private Message Find more posts by OldSouth Add OldSouth to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ml2543
UKC Forum Member

So if there is no difference in a Hot nose and a colded nose dog. Why is it in the winter with snow on the ground cold as heck, the cold nosed dogs will run and track a coon that the hot nose dog doesnt even know is up there? And the hotter nose dog i am talking about is a coondog.

Old Post 07-01-2010 08:40 PM
ml2543 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ml2543 Click here to Send ml2543 a Private Message Click Here to Email ml2543 Find more posts by ml2543 Add ml2543 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Majestic Tree H
UKC Forum Member

Sorry they all Do Not have the Same Nose !! Some Hounds have Retained More of their org. Bloodhound Genetic Size..

But One thing is Ture Every Single Dog, Hound, Wolf ect have the Exact Same Genetic Olfactory Code .. Size is the Difference

Reference: http://www.pnas.org/content/93/20/10897.full.pdf

Nose Comes from mostly 2 Organs, One is the Area of the Olfactory Receptors in the Nasal Cavity the Other are the 2 Olfactory Blubs Located in the Brain ..

The Difference is the Overall Size and Mass of the Receptors and the Size of the Process of the Olfactory Bulbs .
Quote:
Number of human olfactory receptor cells = 12 million (Shier, D., Butler, J. and Lewis, R. Hole's Human Anatomy & Physiology, Boston: McGraw Hill, 2004)
Number of rabbit olfactory receptor cells = 100 million
Number of dog olfactory receptor cells = 1 billion
Number of bloodhound olfactory receptor cells = 4 billion (Shier, D., Butler, J. and Lewis, R. Hole's Human Anatomy & Physiology, Boston: McGraw Hill, 2004)
Surface area of olfactory epithelium (contains olfactory receptor cells) in humans = 10 cm2 (Bear, M.F., Connors, B.W. and Pradiso, M.A., Neuroscience: Exploring the Brain, 2nd edition, Baltimore: Lippincott Williams and Wilkins, 2001, p. 269)
Surface area of bloodhound olfactory epithelium = 59 in2 (Shier, D., Butler, J. and Lewis, R. Hole's Human Anatomy & Physiology, Boston: McGraw Hill, 2004)
Area of olfactory epithelium in some dogs = 170 cm2 (Bear, M.F., Connors, B.W. and Pradiso, M.A., Neuroscience: Exploring the Brain, 2nd edition, Baltimore: Lippincott Williams and Wilkins, 2001, p.

Reference: http://faculty.washington.edu/chudler/facts.html

540-421-2875

French X American Hounds

Old Post 07-01-2010 08:46 PM
Majestic Tree H is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Majestic Tree H Click here to Send Majestic Tree H a Private Message Click Here to Email Majestic Tree H Visit Majestic Tree H's homepage! Find more posts by Majestic Tree H Add Majestic Tree H to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JiM

So look for the pup with the biggest nose?

Old Post 07-01-2010 09:07 PM
Majestic Tree H
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by JiM
So look for the pup with the biggest nose?

LOL I Wish it was that Easy !!! Well you could do CT Scans on all of them $$$$$$

540-421-2875

French X American Hounds

Old Post 07-01-2010 09:10 PM
Ray&Luie
UKC Forum Member

Nose

quote:
Originally posted by Christy
ONE IMPORTANT THING TO REMEMBER IS DRIVE.

IT DOESNT MATTER WHAT KIND OF NOSE THE DOG HAS IF IT DOESNT HAVE THE DRIVE TO USE IT AND WANT TO TREE THE COON IT'S NOT GOING TO MATTER WHAT KIND OF NOSE IT HAS.

Ditto !!

Ray Hudson

Last edited by Ray&Luie on 07-01-2010 at 09:13 PM

Old Post 07-01-2010 09:11 PM
Ray&Luie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ray&Luie Click here to Send Ray&Luie a Private Message Find more posts by Ray&Luie Add Ray&Luie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jackbob42
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by ml2543
So if there is no difference in a Hot nose and a colded nose dog. Why is it in the winter with snow on the ground cold as heck, the cold nosed dogs will run and track a coon that the hot nose dog doesnt even know is up there? And the hotter nose dog i am talking about is a coondog.

This statement about a cold-nosed dog treeing coon in the winter time (and a hot-nosed dog can't) makes me believe about 90% of the coonhunters out there don't know the difference between the two. LOL

BackWoods River Walkers/Beagles
Just all 'round , meat gettin' hounds.

Old Post 07-01-2010 09:14 PM
jackbob42 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jackbob42 Click here to Send jackbob42 a Private Message Find more posts by jackbob42 Add jackbob42 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GA DAWG
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by pigsit
To tell the truth, I don't think it makes any difference. The deciding factor is BRAINS; I've seen hot nosed and cold nosed dogs, both could tree a lot of coon, but they had to have the desire to catch game and brains enough to make their noses work best for them. I have also seen hot nose and cold nosed dogs that could tree slick and stand on their heads all night long. Brains and desire were the deciding factors. JMO. Tom
X2

Old Post 07-01-2010 09:22 PM
GA DAWG is offline Click Here to See the Profile for GA DAWG Click here to Send GA DAWG a Private Message Click Here to Email GA DAWG Find more posts by GA DAWG Add GA DAWG to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mike Van Dusen
UKC Forum Member

Brains and desire are very important,but they still have to have a nose.
I have seen dogs that could really look good,till the frost hit,and they couldn`t tree a coon!I seen a guy back in the `80`s pay $3500.00 for a dog and when the frost hit, walked to 17 straight slick trees!Needless to say he sold the dog,The next summer the dog looked so good he bought him again!Frost hit, and same result!

"Coma Power"
"It's in the blood"
HOME- 219-326-7907
CELL-219-575-0067

Old Post 07-02-2010 01:48 AM
Mike Van Dusen is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mike Van Dusen Click here to Send Mike Van Dusen a Private Message Click Here to Email Mike Van Dusen Find more posts by Mike Van Dusen Add Mike Van Dusen to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Okie Dawg
UKC Forum Member

My wifes rat terrior ran a track on a run away kid that was 12 hours old in town about a half mile long a few years back. I wonder how many cells it had in its nose. Desire has a lot to do with it. Takes very little scent even for a small dog if it has the brains and enough desire. I know you are right about the olfatory thing but I think it is kind of over rated. The smallest nose can do some really amazeing things. No telling what a blood hound could do if they had as much give a hoot as some of the other breeds.LOL

Tonkawa Okla. 74653
580-628-0507
CH 'PR' Grady's Dark Woods Waylon -Bluetic

NITECH 'PR' Grady's Insane Tinker Bell (Tink) - Treeing walker --Okla. State Hunt open redg. winner

'PR' Grady's Barley - Treeing Walker

Old Post 07-02-2010 08:28 AM
Okie Dawg is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Okie Dawg Click here to Send Okie Dawg a Private Message Click Here to Email Okie Dawg Find more posts by Okie Dawg Add Okie Dawg to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Majestic Tree H
UKC Forum Member

Well I would Guess the Nose of the Rat Terrier is coming from their Heartage of the English Fox Terrier which is thought to come from verious breedings And Beagles Which were Breed From the English Fox Hound a cross of the Talbet Hound, St. Huberts (Org. Bloodhound) and Gray Hound and some Other Crosses .

"Smooth Fox Terrier
The Smooth Fox Terrier developed earlier than the Wire Fox Terrier and probably came from different stock. The Smooth Fox Terrier may have emerged from various crosses of the Greyhound, Beagle, Bull Terrier, and an old smooth-coated black and tan terrier."

"William Shakespeare"

My hounds are bred out of the Spartan kind,
So flewed, so sanded: and their heads are hung
With ears that sweep away the morning dew,
Crooked-kneed, and dewlapped like Thespian bulls.

540-421-2875

French X American Hounds

Last edited by Majestic Tree H on 07-02-2010 at 01:31 PM

Old Post 07-02-2010 12:50 PM
delta nightlife
UKC Forum Member

it dont matter to my dogs they find the first track they come across and they run it and then they tree it, hot or cold they can handle it.

Old Post 07-02-2010 12:51 PM
delta nightlife is offline Click Here to See the Profile for delta nightlife Click here to Send delta nightlife a Private Message Click Here to Email delta nightlife Find more posts by delta nightlife Add delta nightlife to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote