UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Coon Slaughter Rodeo's
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
B McDaniel
UKC Forum Member

Coon Slaughter Rodeo's

Im guessing you guys have seen these things popping up around the country like I have. Makes me want to vomit. No need to preach to the choir here about how senseless they are. Only thing I know to do is to make the folks putting these things on's lives miserable and to make sure their business's are never partonized again by any coonhunters. Having said that one of these things has made it's way to South Georgia. I will try to attach a pic and more information about the folks putting it on. Please take a minute and call, message, comment on their post on Facebook and tell them exactly what you think about what they are doing!!! Shiver Outdoors and Archery - 1461 U.S. 19 South - Leesburg, Ga - 229-800-6972

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 03-26-2024 06:13 PM
B McDaniel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for B McDaniel Click here to Send B McDaniel a Private Message Click Here to Email B McDaniel Visit B McDaniel's homepage! Find more posts by B McDaniel Add B McDaniel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Georgeb
UKC Forum Member

Its all about turkeys.Thats not mentioned in the ad youve shown. Coon hunters i hope conserve their coons and dont ruin their own sport .Longer hunting seasons and increased bag limits is the plan in TN and ive heard of this type events being held in TN.TWRA is all for it.A sad sittuation.

Old Post 03-26-2024 07:48 PM
Georgeb is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Georgeb Click here to Send Georgeb a Private Message Click Here to Email Georgeb Find more posts by Georgeb Add Georgeb to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MOcoondogs
UKC Forum Member

We have seen them here some in the past 2-3 years. Like every thing it's 2 sided. We see a lot of anti dog sport in our state because trophy hunters are being taught that our hunting hounds ( of all kind and purpose) are running off deer and turkey. Many believe that all dog hunters are putting up a front to pursue coon, coyotes, wild hogs, rabbits, etc to run and kill deer. Things like this has seemed to help team the trophy hunters with the houndsmen and build some what of a mutual respect. Now understand this I know nothing about other areas but I read on here where most areas that have a weak coon population have had disease wipe them out. We have not had disease hit here yet. I can't imagine anything would bring more people out to kill coons than good fur prices and I doubt we'll ever see that again. I don't like the senseless killing but I would hate to see a great coon population and use of hunting with dogs for sport not allowed

Old Post 03-27-2024 02:48 AM
MOcoondogs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MOcoondogs Click here to Send MOcoondogs a Private Message Click Here to Email MOcoondogs Find more posts by MOcoondogs Add MOcoondogs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sostangcrazy
UKC Forum Member

It’s a shame really. No other species would they do this with. This is 100% driven by turkey hunters and theirs is more turkey than ever. Deer and turkey bring in more revenue. I’m hoping TN never does this coon is state animal for one and it’s down right silly. We need a good balance of species they have proven that with wolves being introduced back to areas.

Old Post 03-27-2024 03:54 AM
Sostangcrazy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sostangcrazy Click here to Send Sostangcrazy a Private Message Click Here to Email Sostangcrazy Find more posts by Sostangcrazy Add Sostangcrazy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Josh Michaelis
UKC Forum Member

We have them here all the time. They have zero impact on raccoon numbers where any houndsmen in the area hunt. Most of the raccoon are caught along major highways and in towns. Some even compete in them.

While I agree the optics are terrible, we have to look at what affect this has on us as houndsmen and women. And to be honest, from what I have seen, it is basically zero.

I think a better tact than boycotting American small businesses, would be to find these turkey hunters, tell them about how you can harvest the raccoon off of their property with your hounds better than a contest that won't really target anything other than urban trash pandas and highway coons, and then you can not only bridge a gap between sportsmen, but have new land to hunt.

Old Post 03-27-2024 01:55 PM
Josh Michaelis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Josh Michaelis Click here to Send Josh Michaelis a Private Message Click Here to Email Josh Michaelis Find more posts by Josh Michaelis Add Josh Michaelis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
B McDaniel
UKC Forum Member

Josh, Im guessing the coon population where you live is a little different than South Georgia. We have coons, but no where like other parts of the country. Said I shouldn't have to preach to the choir here, but guess that was wrong too.....................

Old Post 03-27-2024 04:32 PM
B McDaniel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for B McDaniel Click here to Send B McDaniel a Private Message Click Here to Email B McDaniel Visit B McDaniel's homepage! Find more posts by B McDaniel Add B McDaniel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Georgeb
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by B McDaniel
Josh, Im guessing the coon population where you live is a little different than South Georgia. We have coons, but no where like other parts of the country. Said I shouldn't have to preach to the choir here, but guess that was wrong too.....................

Preach on. Whats going on bothers me and should any coonhunter.

Old Post 03-27-2024 07:57 PM
Georgeb is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Georgeb Click here to Send Georgeb a Private Message Click Here to Email Georgeb Find more posts by Georgeb Add Georgeb to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Josh Michaelis
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by B McDaniel

Just keep an open mind, and see if you tree less raccoons per year because of these contests.

Old Post 03-27-2024 08:40 PM
Josh Michaelis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Josh Michaelis Click here to Send Josh Michaelis a Private Message Click Here to Email Josh Michaelis Find more posts by Josh Michaelis Add Josh Michaelis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Georgeb
UKC Forum Member

Like many folks i have to hunt w m a s and public land alot.I worry the turkey hunter organizations will start putting out traps and the hounds will get in them.yes trapping is probably legal anyway but nobody does it because theres no money in it.These radical turkey hunters have made up their minds that coons are why they dont have as many turkeys.Any predator you can name is eating turkeys at some stage of their life .I bet more are killed after they hatch than whats killed in the nest.which is what they are guessing the coons do.

Old Post 03-27-2024 10:21 PM
houndsound
UKC Forum Member

I'd need more data... I've seen areas that were overpopulated with coons and I guarantee these types of hunts wouldn't really hurt the population. Is there any evidence they are over populated in this area? If so it could be good for the population in the long run. Disease will wipe them out in a far worse manner if over population isn't handled. I would prefer game n fish / dnr type agency issue a license when they feel it is necessary.

Last edited by houndsound on 03-27-2024 at 11:31 PM

Old Post 03-27-2024 11:29 PM
houndsound is offline Click Here to See the Profile for houndsound Click here to Send houndsound a Private Message Click Here to Email houndsound Find more posts by houndsound Add houndsound to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Travis O.
UKC Forum Member

I live a couple of hours from Josh so we have similar coon population. I've seen zero decline in my coon treeing after these events take place. I've also seen zero increase in our turkey population. In my county we have very few turkey and 15 years ago we had a booming population so I don't know what has taken place but I don't think predators are as big of a problem as Missouri dept of conservation might think.

NT CH CROOKED RIVER TWO TONE ZEB
NT CH OLIPHANTS DBL BARREL SHOTGUN
GR NT CH CROOKED RIVER RED TURKEY HTX
NT Ch CROOKED RIVER RED SASSY HTX
CROOKED RIVER REDTICK ROWDY

Old Post 03-28-2024 11:03 AM
Travis O. is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Travis O. Click here to Send Travis O. a Private Message Click Here to Email Travis O. Find more posts by Travis O. Add Travis O. to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote