UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > fleas on pups
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
BIGGUN!
UKC Forum Member

fleas on pups

What can u do for a.pup that has fleas at 7and 8 weeks old

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 08-11-2012 07:26 PM
BIGGUN! is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BIGGUN! Click here to Send BIGGUN! a Private Message Click Here to Email BIGGUN! Find more posts by BIGGUN! Add BIGGUN! to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JiM
UKC Forum Member

Comfortis is what I use. No fleas for 30 days.

AKC/UKC GrNtCh Sizemore's Timber Jam Jessi 12/21/04 to 1/21/2011 R.I.P.

Old Post 08-11-2012 07:45 PM
JiM is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JiM Click here to Send JiM a Private Message Click Here to Email JiM Find more posts by JiM Add JiM to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BIGGUN!
UKC Forum Member

Where do i get it

Old Post 08-11-2012 08:19 PM
BIGGUN! is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BIGGUN! Click here to Send BIGGUN! a Private Message Click Here to Email BIGGUN! Find more posts by BIGGUN! Add BIGGUN! to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rowdyhound
UKC Forum Member

You get Comfortis from your vet. I been washing my pups in dawn dish soap, but I sprayed the kennel and all other dogs are on Trifexis so we don't have much of a flea problem. Check to make sure you can use is on young pups.

Old Post 08-11-2012 08:43 PM
rowdyhound is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rowdyhound Click here to Send rowdyhound a Private Message Click Here to Email rowdyhound Find more posts by rowdyhound Add rowdyhound to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rowdyhound
UKC Forum Member

Check on CapStar too, forgot about that, may be able to use is on young pups. It kills the fleas they have for like 24 hours I think.

Old Post 08-11-2012 08:45 PM
rowdyhound is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rowdyhound Click here to Send rowdyhound a Private Message Click Here to Email rowdyhound Find more posts by rowdyhound Add rowdyhound to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gadog1
UKC Forum Member

DAWN DISH DETERGENT & SKIN SO SOFT BATH OIL

We have been using Dawn Dish Detergent to wash Dogs & Pups in for Fleas. Might use it to wash pup's & mom's house out with also. Works really well. When pups are dry we use Skin So Soft Bath Oil (Regular Scent-green cap) by Avon. You can just put some in the palm of your hand and rub each pup & Mom (Just rub her back & Maybe her Face) down with it. Very Gentle. I keep a Qt. size spray bottle of Water & 2 or 3 Tablespoons of SOS mixture to spray pups & dogs with @ kennel.

CHNITECH PR LILLYS SOU. SCOUT (13) (LillysGaJoe/LillysSugarBaby(Tige)

YOUNG DOGS:
PR Lillys Sou. Ga. LongShot (BIG BOY)
Born 7-13-14 Kansas Kate/Scout

STEVE & GALE LILLY
229-559-7079 HOME
229-834-5904 Gale's Cell
229-834-4095 Steve's Cell
E-Mail steve-gale7343@att.net

Old Post 08-11-2012 08:59 PM
gadog1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for gadog1 Click here to Send gadog1 a Private Message Click Here to Email gadog1 Find more posts by gadog1 Add gadog1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BIGGUN!
UKC Forum Member

K thanks i use dawn detergent and skin so soft i will clean his house in a lil while and spray it and the other dogs house monday will go.to.vet and get some of that stuff to

Old Post 08-11-2012 09:09 PM
JiM
UKC Forum Member

I used the Dawn, sprayed the kennel, blah,blah,blah. Then I turn my pup loose while I do chores and she heads for the tall weeds and brushpiles and comes back covered with fleas again. I bought a Comfortis pill and said goodbye to fleas for the next month.

Old Post 08-11-2012 09:20 PM
JiM is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JiM Click here to Send JiM a Private Message Click Here to Email JiM Find more posts by JiM Add JiM to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
patches9452
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by JiM
I used the Dawn, sprayed the kennel, blah,blah,blah. Then I turn my pup loose while I do chores and she heads for the tall weeds and brushpiles and comes back covered with fleas again. I bought a Comfortis pill and said goodbye to fleas for the next month.
do you use them on 7 to 8 week old pups

Old Post 08-11-2012 10:53 PM
patches9452 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for patches9452 Click here to Send patches9452 a Private Message Click Here to Email patches9452 Find more posts by patches9452 Add patches9452 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
8hawg
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by JiM

I use both. Both are good in their own way.

Dawn dish washing liquid- is fast safe way to remove fleas from the puppies right away, plus it clean them I like to use the anti-bacterial dawn soap. It kills them instantly. However it will not prevent them from getting fleas.

Comfortis pill- starts killing fleas on pups fairly quickly and will provide 30 days of prevention.

My suggestion would be bath the pups in the dawn for immediate results then follow up with the comfortis pill as soon as you can, or follow up with Frontline spary it is one of the few that is safe for pups under a certain age.

Old Post 08-11-2012 11:12 PM
8hawg is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 8hawg Click here to Send 8hawg a Private Message Find more posts by 8hawg Add 8hawg to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
patches9452
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by 8hawg
I use both. Both are good in their own way.

Dawn dish washing liquid- is fast safe way to remove fleas from the puppies right away, plus it clean them I like to use the anti-bacterial dawn soap. It kills them instantly. However it will not prevent them from getting fleas.

Comfortis pill- starts killing fleas on pups fairly quickly and will provide 30 days of prevention.

My suggestion would be bath the pups in the dawn for immediate results then follow up with the comfortis pill as soon as you can, or follow up with Frontline spary it is one of the few that is safe for pups under a certain age.

i use comfortis after 4 months just wondered if anyone had used on weaning age pups

Old Post 08-11-2012 11:14 PM
patches9452 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for patches9452 Click here to Send patches9452 a Private Message Click Here to Email patches9452 Find more posts by patches9452 Add patches9452 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BIGGUN!
UKC Forum Member

I.will.give every dog around the hse that pill hope.no.more fleas

Old Post 08-11-2012 11:17 PM
coondogman
UKC Forum Member

COFORTIS

Pups are supposed to be 12 weeks old before you can give them comfortis!!!

Plus I read some reviews on the comfortis and it said that it may cause male dogs to go sterile, so I went on comfortis web site and it clearly says it has not been tested on breeding males but has been tested on breeding females, I dont like that and I wouldnt give it to a adult dog much less a puppy.

I use blue dawn has to be the blue, I like the idea of the skin so soft,

and I also use cedar bedding that seems to help.

Be carefull with the comfortis,

Old Post 08-12-2012 12:30 AM
coondogman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for coondogman Click here to Send coondogman a Private Message Click Here to Email coondogman Find more posts by coondogman Add coondogman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BIGGUN!
UKC Forum Member

Ok will do the other dogs here have been fixed.

Old Post 08-12-2012 12:37 AM
JiM
UKC Forum Member

My vet told me that Comfortis had just recently been relabeled for puppies 8 weeks or older.

Old Post 08-12-2012 01:03 AM
ssgied
UKC Forum Member

Trifexis, for use on puppies 8 weeks and older.

Old Post 08-12-2012 02:09 AM
ssgied is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ssgied Click here to Send ssgied a Private Message Click Here to Email ssgied Find more posts by ssgied Add ssgied to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BIGGUN!
UKC Forum Member

So far so gd

Old Post 08-12-2012 04:29 PM