UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Can a dog ?
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
yadkintar
Banned

Can a dog ?

When a coon crosses a large body of water smell the scent under the water or on top of it ?

Tar

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 02-19-2020 04:16 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
delta nightlife
UKC Forum Member

🤪

Old Post 02-19-2020 04:25 PM
delta nightlife is offline Click Here to See the Profile for delta nightlife Click here to Send delta nightlife a Private Message Click Here to Email delta nightlife Find more posts by delta nightlife Add delta nightlife to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

I have had a couple that "trailed" across water and opened while they were swimming. I have also seen retrievers swim to the bottom of a pond and find a rock that was thrown in.

Last edited by Richard Lambert on 02-19-2020 at 04:31 PM

Old Post 02-19-2020 04:28 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkinriver
UKC Forum Member

Tar I think the dog would have to stick his head under water to smell under water. Pretty sure the scent comes to the top. Used to have a dog that when I cleaned catfish down here behind the house and threw the heads in the creek he would wade out winding and find the heads on bottom.

Old Post 02-19-2020 04:43 PM
yadkinriver is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkinriver Click here to Send yadkinriver a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkinriver Visit yadkinriver's homepage! Find more posts by yadkinriver Add yadkinriver to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

I have tooted under water and when the bubbles came to the top I smelled it.

Tar

Old Post 02-19-2020 04:51 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Tar lets talk a step back. For a dog to smell. Doesn't he have to inhale air through his nose If he is under water and inhales doesn't that means he is taking in water. Next step for dog is not realizing a scent. But realizing he is drowning.

Sounds like a good breaking method. Put a possum at the bottom of a pool. Throw your dog in and let hem try to smell it and about drown himself doing it. Bingo. Broke off possum.

Old Post 02-19-2020 04:57 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

These super dogs I read about but never see can smell underwater and walk on top of it. Or so I've been told. Lol

Old Post 02-19-2020 05:03 PM
Preacher Tom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Preacher Tom Click here to Send Preacher Tom a Private Message Click Here to Email Preacher Tom Find more posts by Preacher Tom Add Preacher Tom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sleepy head
UKC Forum Member

Re: .

quote:
Originally posted by Bruce m. Conkey
Tar lets talk a step back. For a dog to smell. Doesn't he have to inhale air through his nose If he is under water and inhales doesn't that means he is taking in water. Next step for dog is not realizing a scent. But realizing he is drowning.

Sounds like a good breaking method. Put a possum at the bottom of a pool. Throw your dog in and let hem try to smell it and about drown himself doing it. Bingo. Broke off possum.

If we do that breaking for several generations, the blow hole Gene might become dominant

Old Post 02-19-2020 05:07 PM
sleepy head is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sleepy head Click here to Send sleepy head a Private Message Find more posts by sleepy head Add sleepy head to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Roy Grant
UKC Forum Member

Tar is going stir crazy. Hitman take Dad for a walk.

Old Post 02-19-2020 05:15 PM
Roy Grant is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Roy Grant Click here to Send Roy Grant a Private Message Click Here to Email Roy Grant Find more posts by Roy Grant Add Roy Grant to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ING 194
UKC Forum Member

Don't they smell through taste also 😉

Old Post 02-19-2020 06:32 PM
ING 194 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ING 194 Click here to Send ING 194 a Private Message Find more posts by ING 194 Add ING 194 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

Dogs actually have taste buds located at the tip of their tongue that give them the ability to "taste" water, something many carnivores have but humans do not have. This is probably what helps give those retrievers the ability to find objects under water and also probably helps our dogs to not smell through their nose but also literally the ability to smell through various tastes in the water. Dogs ability to smell is also around a million times higher than ours so never discount their ability to smell even the tiniest droplet.
Because of all these heightened senses dogs will not be guilty of jumping in Tar's bath water lol!

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER PRO SPORT TRUCK WINNER

RIP
*GRNITECH PKC SCH REDNECK MAFIA PKC HALL OF FAME REPRODUCER INDUCTED 2022
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Old Post 02-19-2020 06:55 PM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

ING 194

Smell and taste are 2 completely different senses and act independent. Dave

Old Post 02-19-2020 06:56 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

I think I misunderstood Tar. Which is a habit of mine. Yes dogs can smell scent through water if they are above the water. If that was the question. Tar could you repeat the question? lol

Blind fold one of them retrievers fetching those rocks under water and see how well they do.

Old Post 02-19-2020 07:24 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Bruce

You seen my crazy for a long time lol. Maybe I was changing the subject from somthing else lol.

Buuuuuuuut I have seen a dog bark at a coon where the entrance to the hole was 3 feet under water.

Tar

Old Post 02-19-2020 07:46 PM
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

Re: ING 194

quote:
Originally posted by Dave Richards
Smell and taste are 2 completely different senses and act independent. Dave

Yes and no in dogs when it comes to water they have specific taste buds just for water that we humans do not have so even without the powerful nose their water sense is powerful. And with a sense of smell a million times ours we can't even begin to fathom what they are smelling.

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER PRO SPORT TRUCK WINNER

RIP
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Old Post 02-19-2020 07:52 PM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

Dogs noses are so finely-tuned they can even smell underwater thanks to the vomeronasal organ - commonly called the Jacobs organ._ This organ runs along the bottom of their nose and connects directly to the olfactory lobe with about 600 nerve bundles. In addition, a dog's skull contains two, tiny holes in the roof of their mouths that allow them to pull in a scent without inhaling, letting them draw in a smell while they're diving through a water.

Read more at:_https://wagwalking.com/sense/can-a-dog-smell-underwater
I knew there was a name for it but had to do a Google search so Tar here is your answer. Pretty fascinating actually!

"TEAM MAFIA"

RIP

Old Post 02-19-2020 08:20 PM
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Jen Cummings

Thank you for providing this information, it was eye opening and provided the FACTS as to how our dogs can perform around and in water. Dave

Old Post 02-19-2020 08:57 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Ahh ha ! Long as I get Jennifer to fact check my theories I don’t ever have to be a big dummy no more lol.

Tar

Old Post 02-19-2020 09:10 PM
DL NH
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lambert
I have had a couple that "trailed" across water and opened while they were swimming. I have also seen retrievers swim to the bottom of a pond and find a rock that was thrown in.

I had a golden retriever when I was a kid. Best house dog I ever owned. Also the smartest dog I ever owned! He came from a guy that raised them to hunt and as you might imagine he loved the water. We have a camp on a large lake in Northern VT so Pax and I got in a lot of water time. I discovered that I could throw a stone in the lake and as long as the water wasn't deep enough where Pax had to swim he would put his head under water and come back with the same stone I threw in.

Told my dad about it and he didn't believe it was possible. So I took a nail and scratched an "X" on it and threw it into about 2 feet of water. When Pax came out dad called him over and he placed that same stone in Dad's hand. We repeated the process several times with the same end result. To this day I don't know how he did it!

Old Post 02-19-2020 09:13 PM
DL NH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DL NH Click here to Send DL NH a Private Message Find more posts by DL NH Add DL NH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

This is all very interesting. Thanks Jen for the info. My dog must not have this or maybe just doesn't know how to use it. I have killed two coons over the last year that fell dead in 2-3 feet of water. He couldn't find either one of them. Think I'll just sell him if he's gonna have extreme faults like this.

Old Post 02-19-2020 09:55 PM
Preacher Tom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Preacher Tom Click here to Send Preacher Tom a Private Message Click Here to Email Preacher Tom Find more posts by Preacher Tom Add Preacher Tom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sleepy head
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by yadkintar
Ahh ha ! Long as I get Jennifer to fact check my theories I don’t ever have to be a big dummy no more lol.

Tar

It's almost like you Jen are cahoots, laying traps for us to make smarty butt replies. And then the burn comes

Old Post 02-19-2020 10:03 PM
sleepy head is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sleepy head Click here to Send sleepy head a Private Message Find more posts by sleepy head Add sleepy head to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Toad Hill
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by yadkintar
I have tooted under water and when the bubbles came to the top I smelled it.

Tar

LOL !!!!!!!!! IM ROLLIN !!!!!

* GRNTCH PKC CH SMALL TOWN LONE SURVIVOR "LONER" DNA-VIP
(GRNTCH Cabin Creek Rowdy semen X GRNTCH CH Lonesome Dove Lori)
----- Chilled semen available, 463 million total sperm per collection sent - Quality Documented & Guaranteed as of 11-15-23 -----
-English Days 2020 - 3rd place Fri / High Scoring male & 1st place Sat night
-2021 UKC World TOP 100
-2022 TOC Qualified
-2022 UKC World Qualified
-2023 UKC World Qualified
-2023 PKC World Quarter Finalist TOP 105
- For more on Loner, Go listen to Episode #1 on The Coonhound Collective podcast on Spotify.

* GRNTCH CH LONESOME DOVE LORI ( 2018 UKC World top 25 ) World Qualified 3 years straight [ double bred , 2X WLD CH Eng Fem GRNTCH Backroads Rosie ]

* GRNTCH CH SMALL TOWN BINGO STAR DNA-VIP ( 2019 Winter Classic 2nd place ) [ HOF GRNTCH Wilcox Thunder Bingo X Dual Grand Tree Rockin' Nelly ]
(( Star is the Dam to 2021 Southern Eng Days High Scoring Male & Overall Winner ))

- Live breeding doesn't dictate the future success of a puppy any more than a frozen breeding does.

+ I am the Wretch the song refers to

Old Post 02-19-2020 10:27 PM
Toad Hill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Toad Hill Click here to Send Toad Hill a Private Message Find more posts by Toad Hill Add Toad Hill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Toad Hill
UKC Forum Member

Tar - u looking for a good water dog now ?

* GRNTCH PKC CH SMALL TOWN LONE SURVIVOR "LONER" DNA-VIP
(GRNTCH Cabin Creek Rowdy semen X GRNTCH CH Lonesome Dove Lori)
----- Chilled semen available, 463 million total sperm per collection sent - Quality Documented & Guaranteed as of 11-15-23 -----
-English Days 2020 - 3rd place Fri / High Scoring male & 1st place Sat night
-2021 UKC World TOP 100
-2022 TOC Qualified
-2022 UKC World Qualified
-2023 UKC World Qualified
-2023 PKC World Quarter Finalist TOP 105
- For more on Loner, Go listen to Episode #1 on The Coonhound Collective podcast on Spotify.

* GRNTCH CH LONESOME DOVE LORI ( 2018 UKC World top 25 ) World Qualified 3 years straight [ double bred , 2X WLD CH Eng Fem GRNTCH Backroads Rosie ]

* GRNTCH CH SMALL TOWN BINGO STAR DNA-VIP ( 2019 Winter Classic 2nd place ) [ HOF GRNTCH Wilcox Thunder Bingo X Dual Grand Tree Rockin' Nelly ]
(( Star is the Dam to 2021 Southern Eng Days High Scoring Male & Overall Winner ))

- Live breeding doesn't dictate the future success of a puppy any more than a frozen breeding does.

+ I am the Wretch the song refers to

Old Post 02-19-2020 10:30 PM
Toad Hill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Toad Hill Click here to Send Toad Hill a Private Message Find more posts by Toad Hill Add Toad Hill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by Toad Hill
Tar - u looking for a good water dog now ?

We are already flooded and more rain coming tonight don’t care if the dog gets wet I don’t want to lol. Water is cold right now.

Tar

Old Post 02-19-2020 10:38 PM
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Sleepyhead

No, Tar starts something, gets in over his head and Jen Cummings has to bail him out. Lol. Serious, Jen is full of information about dogs and is wonderful about helping with problems or information. Dave

Old Post 02-19-2020 10:40 PM