UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Hunting alone = better bred dogs
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

Hunting alone = better bred dogs

Looking back from the past hunting right threw till today's hunting. I have been thinking about how in the past almost everyone hunted with other people and often times there dogs as well. Pack hunting so to speak. While today many people hunt alone as well as there dogs.
In the past i don't feel in many cases some people new what kinda dog they had because they always just packed up and in many cases just hid the faults that many dogs had. Today with all the alone time most hounds and handlers have shouldn't they have a better idea just what kinda dog they are carrying? There for producing better dogs?
This is just something I have been rolling around in my mind awhile lately.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 02-14-2020 02:57 PM
pamjohnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pamjohnson Click here to Send pamjohnson a Private Message Click Here to Email pamjohnson Find more posts by pamjohnson Add pamjohnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Pamjohnson

I think it takes a combination of hunting dogs alone by themselves and with other dogs to get a more ACCURATE picture of what the dog or dogs are doing both good and bad. By themselves, you really do not know if they missing coon tracks that other dogs might have struck you only get what you see. Another thing you can not see hunting a dog by themselves is how much tree pressure a dog can take or how accurate the dog is when other dogs are treeing slick trees. Hunting a dog by itself gives you the knowledge of knowing whether a dog will hunt by itself run and tree accurate by itself, but does cover up shortcomings the dog may have, that manifests itself when hunting the dog with other dogs. To be a TOP COON DOG a dog must prove it by hunting alone and with other dogs. Some dogs look great by themselves, some look great hunting with a pack, few look great doing both. Dave

Old Post 02-14-2020 11:33 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

I think to often years in the past many pack hunted so much that many dogs were never hunted alone to prove themselves and then was bred without the owner truly seeing that dogs true ability or short commings .

Old Post 02-15-2020 12:00 AM
pamjohnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pamjohnson Click here to Send pamjohnson a Private Message Click Here to Email pamjohnson Find more posts by pamjohnson Add pamjohnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by pamjohnson
I think to often years in the past many pack hunted so much that many dogs were never hunted alone to prove themselves and then was bred without the owner truly seeing that dogs true ability or short commings .

I'd have to say you're definitely correct. And I'll say I think the hounds suffered from the poor breeding practices same as today. And there's many many hunters that don't have or have never seen a truly great hound unsnapped.

And
Partners on a few common trashy young dogs

Gone but not forgotten

GrNtCh, PKC Ch Hillbilly Bildo
Pr Broken Oaks Wild Blue Gypsy

Old Post 02-15-2020 12:34 AM
novicane65 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for novicane65 Click here to Send novicane65 a Private Message Click Here to Email novicane65 Find more posts by novicane65 Add novicane65 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Adams, Harold
UKC Forum Member

As long as people are breeding to titles and you see term brood gyp there will always be a lesser hound than possible.

Old Post 02-15-2020 12:43 AM
Adams, Harold is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Adams, Harold Click here to Send Adams, Harold a Private Message Click Here to Email Adams, Harold Find more posts by Adams, Harold Add Adams, Harold to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Some of them brood gyps got titles without leaving the pen.

Tar

Old Post 02-15-2020 01:00 AM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Pamjohnson

Lol. Many years ago, it was very common for one man to hunt 3 to 4 dogs together every time he went hunting, 1 to strike the tracks, 1 to trail up tracks, and 1 to tree, it took a pack to do what 1 good dog does today. We have advanced in many ways only to fail in others. Dogs today have way too much tree in them, some to stupid to see there is no coon sitting on the little corn stalk they are treed on, good track dogs are getting rarer, and ghost coons have multiplied by the hundreds, seems every cast runs one these days. Balancing track dogs and tree dogs seems to be the major problem these days. Hide hunters hunted and wanted running dogs that would tree, competition hunters wanted tree dogs that would run and we ended up with more tree dogs that tree more than they run , right or wrong tree. Competition hunters call it gambling on a tree, I call it dead headed, the dig should know whether the coon is there or not and should not let a little scent over ride their brain and eyes. A good squirrel dog usually has the meat, using more than just it's nose, it takes brains. Dave

Old Post 02-15-2020 01:07 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Tar

Please say it isntttttttttttttttsoooooooooooooooand after all the big money generated by those all grand pedigrees, they at least should have had to earn their titles. DNA can't fix that problem. Lol. Dave

Old Post 02-15-2020 01:13 AM
Larry Hall
UKC Forum Member

Tar

The easy entry card for many a hound made more hunts than the dog ever did. Lol. Fact.

You boys keep dreaming that hounds were pack hunted more back in the day. A serious hide hunter and there were a bunch of them way back when didn’t hunt a pack of dogs and he didn’t hunt with company.

You can’t cut the fur check and make it work. Or at least you couldn’t when you were serious about it.

Coon dog was and is the measuring stick. These anti social loaners cannot compete or better said, will not compete head to head with a cast of dogs. Strike first and pull the track away and tree the coon first. They will quit the track, blow out of pocket and find a hot pop up. And folks will breed to that crap.

You want a coon dog or a score card dog?

Old Post 02-15-2020 01:43 AM
Larry Hall is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Larry Hall Click here to Send Larry Hall a Private Message Click Here to Email Larry Hall Find more posts by Larry Hall Add Larry Hall to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Larry

I bought several of them without trying them don’t even know if it was their papers but that dog didn’t win that title and that’s a fact. I always hunted hides with a buddy we always skinned them as they treed them and one led the dogs the other carried the hides and the rifle and we would switch out and split the money in half.

It always worked out good for us.

Tar

Old Post 02-15-2020 02:02 AM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Larry Hall

There was not any hide hunting in these parts , coons were to scarce. We hunted in Northern Indiania, Ohio, and Eastern Virginia on week long hunting trips. Prices if the hides paid for our expenses and we enjoyed the coon hunting. Coon hunting was and still is just a hobby for me, hide prices meant nothing but paying for your trip, gas, motel and eats, you can't put a price on a hobby or we would all quit. I had several friends that made lots if hunting trips to coon hunt and actually made decent money doing so, they were the dyed in the wool coon hunters, I had a good job and made good money working, they made more money from coon hunting than their jobs paid. Dave

Old Post 02-15-2020 02:22 AM
Larry Hall
UKC Forum Member

Some of us, and a bunch in this area were pretty serious. If we hunted together we alternated dogs and split the hides as you all mentioned but that was infrequent for most of us.

You hunted alone with your dog and cashed a check. Alternating dogs was common as you could gut one hunting him exclusively. I was blessed and always had a good job that turned into a career. But myself and many others turned a fair check every winter from our efforts.

I still hunt the same way. Coons are worth nothing but I sure hunt them like I used to, at least as much as my fat old butt can handle. Tree a lot more now though. We have unreal numbers up here.

Coon dog is always a coon dog. Score card dog isn’t always a coon dog.

The Easy Entry card from UKC created a huge pop in fraudulently titled dogs. Cell phone cameras have pretty much ended it I believe. I’m sure some still happens, but I think far less. There was a pretty tough old dog down the road here that allegedly made a good many of those all grand pedigrees folks bragged on so much.

Froze up and the hound is on the couch. We’ve softened up a bit I guess.

Old Post 02-15-2020 02:50 AM
Larry Hall is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Larry Hall Click here to Send Larry Hall a Private Message Click Here to Email Larry Hall Find more posts by Larry Hall Add Larry Hall to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

A while back I knew where three Grand Nights were that I wouldn't have hauled home. I mean they were sorry. I don't know how they got the titles but I know they weren't even close to being coon dogs.

Now about hunting alone, I am not a guy that thinks they need to be hunted by themselves all the time but I do think you really don't know if you've got a complete dog until you hunt them by themselves. I had a really nice B&T female 20+ years ago that had one fault. She just wouldn't hunt by herself. I really doubt that trying to hunt her by herself when she was 12 months old would have changed her. Other than that she was a really good dog and the others had to be really on their toes or she would have strike and tree on them.

Old Post 02-15-2020 02:54 AM
Preacher Tom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Preacher Tom Click here to Send Preacher Tom a Private Message Click Here to Email Preacher Tom Find more posts by Preacher Tom Add Preacher Tom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rip
UKC Forum Member

We have lost track speed by always hunting them by themselves. Doesn't matter how fast the dog can run the track if it is always by itself it will always get first tree.

Old Post 02-15-2020 03:00 AM
Rip is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rip Click here to Send Rip a Private Message Click Here to Email Rip Visit Rip's homepage! Find more posts by Rip Add Rip to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

I feel it is just as important to hunt a dog with other dogs as well as by itself. I just feel like back many years ago a lot of hunters, not all but many never hunted there dog by itself. In return they never really knew what there dog was and bred it without realizing it's faults. For instance I have seen some dogs that were poor track dogs alone but ya set them down with a pup that can track and they could look great. I have even had a neighbor who had 2 dogs that he always hunted them together and they both looked good but after 1 died the other was worthless.

Old Post 02-15-2020 02:24 PM
Ron Moore
UKC Forum Member

Re: Larry Hall

quote:
Originally posted by Dave Richards
There was not any hide hunting in these parts , coons were to scarce. We hunted in Northern Indiania, Ohio, and Eastern Virginia on week long hunting trips. Prices if the hides paid for our expenses and we enjoyed the coon hunting. Coon hunting was and still is just a hobby for me, hide prices meant nothing but paying for your trip, gas, motel and eats, you can't put a price on a hobby or we would all quit. I had several friends that made lots if hunting trips to coon hunt and actually made decent money doing so, they were the dyed in the wool coon hunters, I had a good job and made good money working, they made more money from coon hunting than their jobs paid. Dave

Dave, I saw first hand the hide hunters come through Northern Indiana when I lived up there in the late 70's and early 80's. But I saw some pretty sad sights. Saw one group come through where I was hunting one night with big bright lights and a pack of dogs that walked the back roads while they spotted coon. All the dogs did was retrieve any coon that wasn't shot out dead. They piled in on my little female one night and scarred her half to death while she was working a track. She came in to me and they didn't even attempt to run the track but came back out to the roads edge. They told me that they had killed 19 coon the night before. I lived out in the country and many times I would see their vehicles come by with the lights shining out of the vehicle windows to the woods line looking for coon setting up. I was just hunting one dog at the time. Like you said, most folks didn't want to shear the hide money plus when the fur was high, you didn't want too many dogs chewing on them. Where I lived back then in WV before moving to IN, the coon were extremely thin and we had a 2 coon per night and 20 per season and most were lucky to reach the season limit. Getting back to the original post, I always liked to keep dogs and still do, That will hunt alone or pack with honest dogs. If you have thin coon, a deep, independent dog will kill you if you want to have a good time with your hunting buddies, if you have any. I often wondered myself how one can judge a coon dog if it won't hunt with another hound. For instance, if you have one that trees coon that is a loner and one that does the same except it will hunt alone or with other dogs. The one that will pack will give a pretty good idea what you're leading compared to what you are hunting it against but the dead loner just trees a coon, so, what are you left with?? A coon dog that operates well in any instance and one that just trees coon alone. If you like hunting by yourself all the time with just one dog, that would be fine or if you competition hunt, in thick coon you will win some but how would a dog like this be able to help the breed if the only thing you have to judge it on is itself?

Old Post 02-15-2020 03:20 PM
Ron Moore is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ron Moore Click here to Send Ron Moore a Private Message Click Here to Email Ron Moore Find more posts by Ron Moore Add Ron Moore to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kler Kry
UKC Forum Member

Todays Dilemma

Could have said it better! The low fur price has produced a high coon population that helps the loner dogs of average ability to win big hunts.

Old Post 02-15-2020 03:31 PM
Kler Kry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Kler Kry Click here to Send Kler Kry a Private Message Click Here to Email Kler Kry Find more posts by Kler Kry Add Kler Kry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Ron Moore

My first trip to northern Indiania to coon hunt was an eye opening experience. We were hunting with a man that lived up there and gave him all of the coons we treed, we just loved coon hunting and the opportunity to tree a bunch of coons. Everything was fine until the man started spot lighting and wanting to shoot coons that our dogs had not treed. I told him NO, that WE wered not going to shoot any coons that the dogs did not tree. He was more interested in the money the hide was worth than how the hide was taken. We treed a lot of coons and had a good time, but never let him shoot out coons he spot lighted. He took me stories of how they spotlighted around field of corn, banged on pots and pans to run the coons out if the corn fields , etc. Hide hunting did not appeal to me then, nor does it appeal to me now. 30 to 40 dollar hide prices bring out ALL the undesirable acts of sportsmanship I have ever seen. Dave

Old Post 02-15-2020 06:23 PM
nextcoonhunters
UKC Forum Member

Re: Larry

quote:
Originally posted by yadkintar
I bought several of them without trying them don’t even know if it was their papers but that dog didn’t win that title and that’s a fact.

Tar

Talked to a guy the other day who informed me that kind of stuff don't happen in his part of the country. It has to be a coondog that can tree its own coon to get a title there.

Old Post 02-16-2020 05:59 PM
nextcoonhunters is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nextcoonhunters Click here to Send nextcoonhunters a Private Message Find more posts by nextcoonhunters Add nextcoonhunters to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Nextcoonhunters

That's what every one likes to think, but down deep knows otherwise. Buckets have been the answer across the country and we now have countless bucket champions that are lost hunting in thin coons. In my opinion it's the worst thing to ever happen when everyone started hunting off feed buckets. Dave

Old Post 02-16-2020 07:13 PM
Dogwhisper
UKC Forum Member

If that's the case rename this thread "feeder buckets" = better bred dogs .....hmmmmmmm

Old Post 02-16-2020 09:57 PM
Dogwhisper is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dogwhisper Click here to Send Dogwhisper a Private Message Find more posts by Dogwhisper Add Dogwhisper to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Doug Robinson
UKC Forum Member

My thoughts too

quote:
Originally posted by Larry Hall
Tar

The easy entry card for many a hound made more hunts than the dog ever did. Lol. Fact.

You boys keep dreaming that hounds were pack hunted more back in the day. A serious hide hunter and there were a bunch of them way back when didn’t hunt a pack of dogs and he didn’t hunt with company.

You can’t cut the fur check and make it work. Or at least you couldn’t when you were serious about it.

Coon dog was and is the measuring stick. These anti social loaners cannot compete or better said, will not compete head to head with a cast of dogs. Strike first and pull the track away and tree the coon first. They will quit the track, blow out of pocket and find a hot pop up. And folks will breed to that crap.

You want a coon dog or a score card dog?

X2

Past Home of:
GRNITECH FCH GRCH ROBINSON'S SILVERTONE BLUSPECK HTX DNA-P
GRNITECH GRCH PKC CH ROBINSON'S RED LINDSAY
NITECH GRFCH GRWCH GRCH ROBINSON'S CROOKTAIL KATE
GRNITECH GRCH ROBINSON'S CIDERHOUSE LULU
NITECH GRCH GRFCH GRWCH RED RIDGE'S SUPER SHOCK Z HTX2
NITECH GRCH ROBINSON'S OATKA VALLEY ANNIE (BLUSPECK DAUGHTER)
NITECH GRCH ROBINSON'S JJ THUNDER SUE

Current
CH PR ROBINSON'S OATKA VALLEY JUNEBUG - (GRNITECH PKC CH RIVER BOTTOM'S CRACKER JACK X NITECH GRCH ROBINSON'S OATKA VALLEY ANNIE)

Old Post 02-17-2020 12:17 AM
Doug Robinson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Doug Robinson Click here to Send Doug Robinson a Private Message Click Here to Email Doug Robinson Find more posts by Doug Robinson Add Doug Robinson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by pamjohnson

I have seen quite a few hunters that never cast their dogs alone and I have seen these dogs bred that I wouldn’t feed...

I tell the guys that don’t have much experience to hunt their dogs alone to find out how they cast, track and bay...and find out what type of bottom they have...there are dogs that won’t bay alone as well...

I like a dog that can do it alone...but I also like my dogs to pack up as soon as one opens on a track...

I believe a dog needs to be hunted alone and do a good job of it before it can even be considered for breeding...

Old Post 02-18-2020 12:46 AM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DL NH
UKC Forum Member

I can remember back in the early 80's when hides were bringing good money.
Good big prime Northern boar coon fleshed and stretched right could bring as much as $50 at the fur auctions locally. I was glad to see those days go by the way side! For a few years we had guys coming in from the mid-west with campers and 10 to 15 cubic foot chest freezers in tow. They'd roll in for 2-3 weeks hunt all night and shoot everything they treed. Bunch of money hungry game hogs. Didn't matter to them they didn't live here. Glad to see those days are gone!

Last edited by DL NH on 02-18-2020 at 11:43 AM

Old Post 02-18-2020 03:17 AM
DL NH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DL NH Click here to Send DL NH a Private Message Find more posts by DL NH Add DL NH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Dan

Any real coon hunter that hunted for the love of the sport itself HATED the days of high coon hide prices. It was one thing for the average coon hunter to be able to pay his expenses from selling coon hides to the wanton killing of coons. Many coons were spot lighted, killing coons that were not treed by dogs, but taken by any means they could get them. High fur prices were the bane of a true coon hunter that enjoyed the sport hunting with dogs taking one coon per tree and leaving coons for seed. Hide hunting was done without regard of the population or how the coon was harvested. Personally, I hope hides never sell for enough to bring out the spot lighters or anyone not interested in the sport only the dollars that the hides will bring. A lot if money was spent in my area by coon clubs and coon hunters buying and stocking coons to build up a decent population. We have succeeded in establishing a decent population, but not one that could stand up to high prices and wanton killing by any means. Dave

Old Post 02-18-2020 03:43 AM