UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Here is one I need Your Opinion on!!
Pages (5): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Here is one I need Your Opinion on!!

Looking at some results of one of them Pro Hunts last night held in UNION SC. Not saying they are good dogs but saying the owners thinks to to pay high entry fees. There were 16 cast and I think only two cast came in with over 200 points and they weren't much over that.

I guess you can call this a two part opinion.

In a month when the UKC SETWD hunt rolls to town will the scores be doubt the same. LOW with an the average winner at 125 to 150 points. Or are they going to be 500 and 600 points for the cast winners. Maybe higher.

If you say higher, whats your opinion why? Dog power, UKC Guides have better spots to hunt. Calling time out and moving to the next bucket. There has to be a factual reason and not an opinion on this. I sure don't have a crystal ball but I would be willing to bet the scores in a month will be a lot better.

Does anyone think the facts as to why, should concern you. I do because the winner get publicity and that publicity brings attention to breeding. If you understand the foundation of coon hunting and what is going on. You will understand why the house is cracking.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 01-13-2018 04:30 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Josh Michaelis
UKC Forum Member

Re: Here is one I need Your Opinion on!!

quote:
Originally posted by Bruce m. Conkey
Looking at some results of one of them Pro Hunts last night held in UNION SC. Not saying they are good dogs but saying the owners thinks to to pay high entry fees. There were 16 cast and I think only two cast came in with over 200 points and they weren't much over that.

I guess you can call this a two part opinion.

In a month when the UKC SETWD hunt rolls to town will the scores be doubt the same. LOW with an the average winner at 125 to 150 points. Or are they going to be 500 and 600 points for the cast winners. Maybe higher.

If you say higher, whats your opinion why? Dog power, UKC Guides have better spots to hunt. Calling time out and moving to the next bucket. There has to be a factual reason and not an opinion on this. I sure don't have a crystal ball but I would be willing to bet the scores in a month will be a lot better.

Does anyone think the facts as to why, should concern you. I do because the winner get publicity and that publicity brings attention to breeding. If you understand the foundation of coon hunting and what is going on. You will understand why the house is cracking.

Trees are not scored as strictly, and when you call time out and move, and multiple dogs are on the same tree your scores are going to be higher.

You want even a bigger discrepency look at the Grand Masters scores vs Autumn Oaks.

Last edited by Josh Michaelis on 01-13-2018 at 05:01 PM

Old Post 01-13-2018 04:39 PM
Josh Michaelis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Josh Michaelis Click here to Send Josh Michaelis a Private Message Click Here to Email Josh Michaelis Find more posts by Josh Michaelis Add Josh Michaelis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sleepy head
UKC Forum Member

In UKC your more likely to have casts of dogs that have a hunting style that lends itself to treeing more coon in less area

Old Post 01-13-2018 04:59 PM
sleepy head is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sleepy head Click here to Send sleepy head a Private Message Find more posts by sleepy head Add sleepy head to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jawscardodger
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Here is one I need Your Opinion on!!

quote:
Originally posted by Josh Michaelis

You want even a bigger discrepency look at the Grand Masters scores vs Autumn Oaks.

The new GRAND Night format as dropped the scores at AO.Now its walker days with the big scores

Old Post 01-13-2018 05:21 PM
jawscardodger is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jawscardodger Click here to Send jawscardodger a Private Message Click Here to Email jawscardodger Find more posts by jawscardodger Add jawscardodger to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jmyers8
UKC Forum Member

My dog has been at the lone star hunt is Texas all week each night of hunting they have averaged 2-300 plus cw and my dog got in the final four with 150. Talking to my buddy that is handling her no dog had been pulled off the same tree and my female at one point was a mile. You have dogs doing there own thing your gonna burn up some time.. now in ukc you may have a dog or two by it's self and a few treed together makes it easier to load them up and go to another spot. And I'm gonna guess two completely separate groups of people hunting. You don't see many ukc guys at bigger pkc hunts for whatever reason and when you go to a ukc hunt you don't see many of the other club hunters.

Old Post 01-13-2018 05:27 PM
Jmyers8 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jmyers8 Click here to Send Jmyers8 a Private Message Click Here to Email Jmyers8 Find more posts by Jmyers8 Add Jmyers8 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
John B.Dalton
UKC Forum Member

How about a different set of tree points??
How about a more pack orientated cast??
How about time out between trees if they are split??
How about buckets versus wild coons??
How about fewer minus points on questionable trees??
How spot hunting and moving??

Old Post 01-13-2018 07:17 PM
John B.Dalton is offline Click Here to See the Profile for John B.Dalton Click here to Send John B.Dalton a Private Message Visit John B.Dalton's homepage! Find more posts by John B.Dalton Add John B.Dalton to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cyoung
UKC Forum Member

In another month the temperature could be alot warmer and the coons could be moving alot better

Piney Creek Kennel
Pkc ch Grnitch Pr Hardtime Sue
(2018 St Jude 2nd over all hunt winner
High scoring grand nite Friday night
2018 Tennessee state hunt 2nd over all opposite sex winner high scoring grand night Friday night)
2020 Winter Classic overall winner.2nd Friday night 5th Saturday night.

Old Post 01-13-2018 07:42 PM
Cyoung is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cyoung Click here to Send Cyoung a Private Message Click Here to Email Cyoung Find more posts by Cyoung Add Cyoung to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Different rules , different style of dog , different strategy in the $$$ Hunts you always got plan B there is no plan B in ukc highest plus points wins.

Tar

Old Post 01-13-2018 07:53 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

Even if these 2 hunts were back to back weekends and there'd be some serious score differences. From my experience hunting in PKC, the guys that hunt UKC get irate if you vote to minus the tree. Verses PKC guys care but not near as much. So a lot of the trees that get circled in UKC would be minused in PKC. If the tree doesn't have a hole, or a nest its minuses in PKC. And the UKC guys try to argue that a coon could be hiding up there in a crotch, or on the leafy bundle on that limb. It's pretty easy to understand, PKC guys tend to be on a very strict judgement vs UKC.

And to throw a twist on this, if you hunted the same dogs in both registries on the same night would the scores be different?

Old Post 01-13-2018 09:09 PM
novicane65 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for novicane65 Click here to Send novicane65 a Private Message Click Here to Email novicane65 Find more posts by novicane65 Add novicane65 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
joey
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by John B.Dalton
How about a different set of tree points??
How about a more pack orientated cast??
How about time out between trees if they are split??
How about buckets versus wild coons??
How about fewer minus points on questionable trees??
How spot hunting and moving??

I'll add one more thing. You tend to get a dominate dog in some UKC cast and it doesnt happen as much in PKC. One dog running the show and getting the front end of everything makes for bigger scores. That plus John list is pretty much it.

http://www.sunspotlights.com/
When brightness matters!!

Home Of:
PKC Ch, Grch Grnch 2008 Tx state champion They call me Crazy Betty

PKC SCh CH Grnch They call me Howler too

Old Post 01-13-2018 09:50 PM
joey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for joey Click here to Send joey a Private Message Find more posts by joey Add joey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ctreeingsob
New UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by novicane65
Even if these 2 hunts were back to back weekends and there'd be some serious score differences. From my experience hunting in PKC, the guys that hunt UKC get irate if you vote to minus the tree. Verses PKC guys care but not near as much. So a lot of the trees that get circled in UKC would be minused in PKC. If the tree doesn't have a hole, or a nest its minuses in PKC. And the UKC guys try to argue that a coon could be hiding up there in a crotch, or on the leafy bundle on that limb. It's pretty easy to understand, PKC guys tend to be on a very strict judgement vs UKC.

And to throw a twist on this, if you hunted the same dogs in both registries on the same night would the scores be different?

I think u might have it backwards in the pkc is we’re ever one wonts to circle everything and no one wonts to take there minuse I’ve seen these so called pro judges in these pro hunts actually circle a tiny hole that u can barley stick three fingers in on a tree that was blowed over and dog was treed in the top of the tree pretty much barking straight up in the air

Old Post 01-13-2018 10:47 PM
ctreeingsob is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ctreeingsob Click here to Send ctreeingsob a Private Message Find more posts by ctreeingsob Add ctreeingsob to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Roy Grant
UKC Forum Member

I see a Cast Winner had 550 minus...really. lol at the Texas hunt

Old Post 01-14-2018 12:10 AM
Roy Grant is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Roy Grant Click here to Send Roy Grant a Private Message Click Here to Email Roy Grant Find more posts by Roy Grant Add Roy Grant to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
John B.Dalton
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Roy Grant
I see a Cast Winner had 550 minus...really. lol at the Texas hunt
So are you saying you think they cheated to get that score ??

Old Post 01-14-2018 12:27 AM
John B.Dalton is offline Click Here to See the Profile for John B.Dalton Click here to Send John B.Dalton a Private Message Visit John B.Dalton's homepage! Find more posts by John B.Dalton Add John B.Dalton to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rghnd123
UKC Forum Member

Low scores

In the other KC the dogs are more of a loner type. You don't have the dogs all packed up like in most UKC hunts. Once a dog has a title a good many comp hunters move to the other KC because, no matter how much money they have won they can still be hunted for a reward. There are hunts won with minus but it isn't going to happen all the time. If UKC found a better way to reward people for wins they would possibly see more support. I wish UKC would come up with a monetary system like the other KC's do but who am I to say. I have only been on one comp hunt in two years.

Old Post 01-14-2018 12:35 AM
rghnd123 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rghnd123 Click here to Send rghnd123 a Private Message Click Here to Email rghnd123 Visit rghnd123's homepage! Find more posts by rghnd123 Add rghnd123 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Clif Owen
UKC Forum Member

I believe the scores will be higher. Maybe not al of them but the winners will be. I kind of equate it to a bass tournament. The more guys that are out there; the better the odds that someone will get on them. Also, the weather very well may be better; leading to more movement

Old Post 01-14-2018 02:49 AM
Clif Owen is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Clif Owen Click here to Send Clif Owen a Private Message Click Here to Email Clif Owen Find more posts by Clif Owen Add Clif Owen to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rip
UKC Forum Member

You guys are forgetting one very important thing.

In PKC most of the time the only time there is 100 strike is the first drop. After that it is 25 strike and 100 tree.

UKC it is 100 strike and 125 tree.

Just simple math, 4 coons PKC taking first and first on every one is going to be 575

4 coons UKC first and first is 900.

That isn't considering the fact of not calling time out and having more time in UKC to score even more trees with more plus points available and also not considering calling time out between split trees that take more than 15 minutes to walk to.

It is very clear, same dog will have vastly different scores just because of the different rules.

Old Post 01-14-2018 03:34 AM
Rip is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rip Click here to Send Rip a Private Message Click Here to Email Rip Visit Rip's homepage! Find more posts by Rip Add Rip to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
B&Ttreed2017
Banned

Cast Winner

with 550 minus....How is that a "Winner"

Qualified for UKC World 2017
Won his first 4 Shows in a row
Made Champion at 11 months
Qualified for the Illinois Govenors Cup 2017
Owned & Handled by 10 yr old Lil Darik
Titus has been found!!! 4 hours north of us. Dariks Happy Again!
God Is Great!!

Bradleys Tenacious Super Star
Leons Darkside x Blue Label Lilly
2 Wins towards UKC Show Champion
Owned & Handled by 9 yr old Bradley__________________________
618-320-0880 Cell
~Rest In Peace Ole Boy~
Biehls Tenacious Jet
Hobo Hoss x Kansas Jewell

Old Post 01-14-2018 04:07 AM
B&Ttreed2017 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for B&Ttreed2017 Click here to Send B&Ttreed2017 a Private Message Click Here to Email B&Ttreed2017 Find more posts by B&Ttreed2017 Add B&Ttreed2017 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Every cast has a winner. The dog that does the best job in the cast wins. Is that so hard to understand? Every cast doesn't get turned out on coons. Every cast doesn't have one real coondog in it. But every cast has a winner. That is one thing that keeps people hunting PKC hunts. Even if you get an awful guide and have a bad night someone in your cast is going to win that cast.

Old Post 01-14-2018 04:18 AM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rghnd123
UKC Forum Member

UKC

In UKC it's not 100 strike except on the first drop. Unless all the dogs are wadded up together. Just the other KC has more loners. Someone is going to take the money home, how it works. You hear people down a dog for winning on minus. Go take the money if you can win with plus every time.

Old Post 01-14-2018 05:28 AM
rghnd123 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rghnd123 Click here to Send rghnd123 a Private Message Click Here to Email rghnd123 Visit rghnd123's homepage! Find more posts by rghnd123 Add rghnd123 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Stonewall24
UKC Forum Member

Look at who is guiding them

The PKC hunt doesn't draw as many hunters in Union so they don't drive as far as the one with UKC. Pkc hunters hunt local most of the time hunting game lands. Which everyone hunts them . The high scores that come into setwd the guides comes back to NC which they mostly hunt private land. Their on buckets and most of the time it's a little warmer then in Feb to coons are moving a little more. If you will look at the cast winners and their scores and guides for the past three years u will see the reason why scores are higher.

Old Post 01-14-2018 06:26 AM
Stonewall24 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Stonewall24 Click here to Send Stonewall24 a Private Message Find more posts by Stonewall24 Add Stonewall24 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Go to the play by play on Prohound Forum for the final cast at big hunt in Texas last night. They were continuously walking from tree to tree and scored on 7 or 8 trees. The dog that won the cast had 250 +.

Old Post 01-14-2018 02:56 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cry Tough Blues
UKC Forum Member

Different sets of rules, each of the kennel clubs has their pros and cons- no play on words intended

Old Post 01-14-2018 03:30 PM
Cry Tough Blues is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cry Tough Blues Click here to Send Cry Tough Blues a Private Message Find more posts by Cry Tough Blues Add Cry Tough Blues to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

So apple's to oranges huh, why are we trying to compare the two?

Old Post 01-14-2018 03:33 PM
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Richard, I think it is important to understand the differences, Why, you might ask?
We breed to different dogs for different reason. If I breed to a dog it is because I saw something with my own eyes, I wanted from the genetics in a hound. Hoping to get some.
We have way too many people that have never seen a hound or seen any brothers, sisters or kissing cousins to the hound. Breed because of what it won, being advertised in a pretty picture. I don't think that is good for the future of our hounds. It the same with all KC's. This picture with a dog that won a truck or that picture with a dog that won a table full of trophies. That is great for the people involved and they should be congratulated and they should cherish the moment they worked hard to achieve. That on the other hand is not a reason to breed to a hound. It is a reason to investigate the genetics behind the hound as there might be something there. Just not the reason for getting caught up in the moment and breed. An understanding of the rules and conditions that won the truck or won the trophies, helps keep the hype down.

Richard you have been around. If you were just evaluating the winnings of a dog. Do you put more stock in one kennel club over another having a winner that would operate like you want one to.

Old Post 01-14-2018 04:01 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Re: ,

quote:
Originally posted by Bruce m. Conkey
Richard, Do you put more stock in one kennel club over another having a winner that would operate like you want one to.

It all depends on which kennel club that the pups will be hunted in. Or which KC's members you will be marketing the pups to.
Very few people can actually hunt with these dogs any more. They have to base their opinions on "hype". The days of hunting with a stud before you breed your female to him are gone.

Old Post 01-14-2018 04:14 PM