UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > UKC Free Classifieds > Coonhound Classifieds > Black & Tans: Stud Dog and Kennel Promotion > Ch GrNtCh 'PR'Starr's Blackjack Northern Oz HTX
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
John D
UKC Forum Member

Ch GrNtCh 'PR'Starr's Blackjack Northern Oz HTX

Oz is a new kid on the block, representing some breeding you don't see every day but it has consistently produced above average coondogs at an above average rate.

Oz finished to GrNt this past summer and this is HOW the cast went:

Rusty told me it was a 3 dog cast. First drop the other 2 dogs treed a "circle". Oz went on and treed and had a coon. 2nd drop, the other 2 dogs treed and left it. They treed again deeper. Oz treed some distance to the left of them. The other 2 dogs had a slick and Oz had another coon.

Oz has 2 litters on the ground and is showing some signs of reproducing. The oldest was on a Rex x Ace bred female and 2 of them are NtCh's. The 2nd litter, from a Scheanker's Jet female is about a year old and some of them are treeing their own coon.

I'd say if you want an independent dog with coontreeing ability and showing the ability to reproduce it, this is a stud to consider.

Oz is a 2014 Performance Sire.

......GrNtCh. Whitaker's Black Smokey II
...GrNtCh Ch 'PR' Clear Creek Jag
.......NtCh Ch 'PR' Collins' Smokin' Queen
Ch GrNtCh 'PR'Starr's Blackjack Northern Oz HTX
......NtCh 'PR' B and B's Black Hoss
...GrNtCh 'PR' Hoss' Smokin' Lizzy
......NtCh 'PR' Smokey's Ragin' Ruby

Asa Briggs, an English man, has also hunted with this dog and I believe would describe him honestly and accurately.

I have nothing to do with this dog, so all inquiries need to go to Rusty Starr. I don't believe Rusty owns a computer. His no. is 2 31 93 7 5463

Click here to visit The B&T Coonhunters Message Forum for news, views, open discussion, ads, and event winners in the B&T Breed (Registration, with your full name, required)

Click here to see my Dog List

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 02-13-2014 03:27 PM
John D is offline Click Here to See the Profile for John D Click here to Send John D a Private Message Click Here to Email John D Visit John D's homepage! Find more posts by John D Add John D to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
davebastean
UKC Forum Member

Nice dog. Lots of Combs and Smiths Smokey breeding.

Treego's Smokin Bo (One-eye X Treego)

Old Post 02-15-2014 02:05 AM
davebastean is offline Click Here to See the Profile for davebastean Click here to Send davebastean a Private Message Click Here to Email davebastean Find more posts by davebastean Add davebastean to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Billy George
UKC Forum Member

Looking forward to seeing him go..

PR B and B's Smokin' Willie

"PR"B and B's Coon Doctor
( Gr.Nite Ch.Bee Creek Dr.Max xGr.Nite Ch. Moonshine Maggie)

Past Home of:

Nite Ch. "PR"B and B's Smokin' Misty (2007-2018)

Nite Ch B&B's Black Hoss (1992-2003)

Nite Ch.Gr.Ch. Shaker Hill Mr. Grubbs (2003-2011)

Old Post 02-20-2014 06:28 PM
Billy George is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Billy George Click here to Send Billy George a Private Message Click Here to Email Billy George Visit Billy George's homepage! Find more posts by Billy George Add Billy George to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Billy George
UKC Forum Member

bump

Past Home of:

Old Post 02-28-2014 10:09 PM
Billy George is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Billy George Click here to Send Billy George a Private Message Click Here to Email Billy George Visit Billy George's homepage! Find more posts by Billy George Add Billy George to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Billy George
UKC Forum Member

^^^^

Past Home of:

Old Post 03-16-2014 06:08 PM
Billy George
UKC Forum Member

Past Home of:

Old Post 03-26-2014 11:31 PM
John D
UKC Forum Member

2014 B&T Days, Thursday Night RQE, 88 dogs entered.

5th: Oz, owned by Russell Starr of Howard City, Michigan, handled by Robert Schumacher, 625+.

Click here to visit The B&T Coonhunters Message Forum for news, views, open discussion, ads, and event winners in the B&T Breed (Registration, with your full name, required)

Old Post 05-02-2014 08:14 PM
John D is offline Click Here to See the Profile for John D Click here to Send John D a Private Message Click Here to Email John D Visit John D's homepage! Find more posts by John D Add John D to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
John D
UKC Forum Member

2014 B&T Days, Thursday Night Youth Hunt.

This is a pup out of Oz that won 1st Place in the Youth hunt and was the High Scoring dog on Thursday night.

1st: Cole Elliott, 15, handled CH ‘PR’ Starr’s Black Jack Northern Ice, owned by Russell Starr of Howard City, Michigan, 950+.

Old Post 05-05-2014 03:16 PM
Billy George
UKC Forum Member

Congrats to all!!!

Past Home of:

Old Post 05-15-2014 03:56 AM
Billy George
UKC Forum Member

^^^^^

Past Home of:

Old Post 07-30-2014 03:42 PM
Kody
UKC Forum Member

Oz

Was he bought from Asa buddy? I am almost positive I hunted with him one night in Michigan then maybe guy named rusty owned him?

Home of:
Silver Ch Stylish Pit
Ntch Mr Wild Child Rambo (1-win)

All Co-owned with Colt Baldwin

Old Post 07-31-2014 03:50 PM
Kody is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Kody Click here to Send Kody a Private Message Click Here to Email Kody Find more posts by Kody Add Kody to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
John D
UKC Forum Member

Oz just turned 8 years old and far as I know is still healthy and getting pups.

He has 22 pups on the ground in 3 litters from nontitled females. Oz has produced 1 GrNtCh and 2 NtCh (13.6%).

Old Post 11-24-2015 05:35 PM
John D
UKC Forum Member

I just saw some results on a B&T Sectional in MI:

quote:
Originally posted by markncole
King of hunt and over all high scoring dog was GrNtCh Starrs Northern Blackjack Ice owned by Rusty Starr and handled by Cole Elliott 950+

Both Oz and Ice are, or will be, in the Champions Classic Sectional standings.

Old Post 03-16-2016 06:09 PM
blckntan337
UKC Forum Member

Congrats..
Can't wait to pick up my pup OUTTA OZ at B&T days

Old Post 03-17-2016 05:34 AM
blckntan337 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for blckntan337 Click here to Send blckntan337 a Private Message Click Here to Email blckntan337 Find more posts by blckntan337 Add blckntan337 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
John D
UKC Forum Member

Rusty Starr and I talked about it and in an effort to make Oz more accessible to more people, I brought him home with me after B&T Days. Oz will be here in Western Mo, for the purpose of making him available to female owners in Missouri and surrounding states. I may have him collected and if I do, it will be done at Symbion in Abilene, KS.

I've tried and prefer to keep a good female over a male dog. This is as close as you will ever see me promoting a stud dog. But I do know what a breeder is looking for in a stud dog and the man behind him. So, if you want some facts, or you decide Oz is right for your female, I will do whatever I can to help you make the cross.

I will be putting Oz in the woods enough to get some pics and video to better describe some of his traits. If you would like to see him go, he's available for that, as well. He's 8 years old and not quite retired.

Old Post 05-11-2016 10:00 PM
tharp
UKC Forum Member

oz

Is their pups in illinois or with in frw hours away

Old Post 05-12-2016 01:24 AM
tharp is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tharp Click here to Send tharp a Private Message Click Here to Email tharp Find more posts by tharp Add tharp to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DCorbin
UKC Forum Member

good looking black & tan, looks like hes really gettin it done!

Old Post 05-14-2016 12:27 AM
DCorbin is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DCorbin Click here to Send DCorbin a Private Message Find more posts by DCorbin Add DCorbin to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
John D
UKC Forum Member

I'm not aware of any pups on the ground from Oz, but you might give Rusty Starr a call at the no. posted above.

After hunting Oz a few nights I have an idea what he's like. He goes hunting fairly good, might stop in a hundred yards to empty out. He moves around well, not flying across the country but gets in the country. The furthest I've had him go was 3/4 mile from the truck. He is not a high end strike dog. He opens on the ground, but not alot. He has a real nice locate, one long bawl and then he's done. Steady, every breath treedog. Average volume. He trees with all 4's on the ground, but right up close to the tree. He will tree off to himself or with whatever dog I've hunted with him. I haven't seen him slick yet but he's had a couple leafy trees I couldn't shine well. I have some video and pictures of him that I intend to get posted.

Here's a video, from last week:

http://vid24.photobucket.com/albums...zpsrc867quh.mp4

Last edited by John D on 05-19-2016 at 01:21 PM

Old Post 05-16-2016 01:26 PM
John D
UKC Forum Member

Oz now has a web page! I've added some pictures and videos. There is a video there that uses the Garmin to show how he hunts.

Click here for a Web page on Oz

I've had Oz out a few more nights. Here's what he has to offer to the breed:

-Oz is accurate and uses brains and nose power to get the right tree.

-Oz doesn't cover slick treed dogs and will go get a coon treed by himself. I've seen both his parents do the same thing.

-Oz goes hunting, in company or alone.

-Oz is bred to tree coons and reproduce. He's a half brother to Kansas Hayes. He's loaded with coondogs up close in his pedigree and even some of the biggest winners in the B&T breed aren't too far back. Jag, his sire, put up some nice wins and sold for big money. Lizzy, his dam, was competitive wherever she was hunted and one of the breed's historical top producing females.

-Oz is reproducing, in limited opportunity. He has approximately 22 pups on the ground with 1 GrNtCh and 2 NtCh's. Thats about 13.6%. Compare that to ANY stud out there. One pup was made GrNt by a teenage boy.

Old Post 07-01-2016 05:21 PM
blckntan337
UKC Forum Member

Oz

I Have a female pup out of Oz and my friend Bill Wylie's female that started to tree last night.. She made 3 trees.. With a good mouth.. She is 9 months old and didn't take much to get her started.. She's seen one coon.. I'd commend Breeding to Oz if you have a quality female.. Just thought I'd share..

Last edited by blckntan337 on 07-25-2016 at 02:36 AM

Old Post 07-25-2016 02:33 AM
blckntan337 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for blckntan337 Click here to Send blckntan337 a Private Message Click Here to Email blckntan337 Find more posts by blckntan337 Add blckntan337 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
John D
UKC Forum Member

Good luck with your pup, sounds like a nice prospect. Feel free to post some pics of her if you want.

Old Post 07-29-2016 05:31 PM
blckntan337
UKC Forum Member

Here are a few pics of her at 7 months old when I picked her up at B&T Days..
I'll work on getting some pics or video of her while hunting..

Old Post 07-29-2016 05:49 PM
John D
UKC Forum Member

Nice! I see some of Oz in her.

I haven't hunted Oz for a few weeks so last night he decided to jail break and take himself. He was missing at feeding time this morning and I found him treed about 10 am. It was already about 93 deg. He had at least one coon, balled up in a low fork of this cottonwood tree.

Last edited by John D on 01-31-2018 at 02:29 PM

Old Post 08-04-2016 05:08 PM
blckntan337
UKC Forum Member

Lol, have to love his drive.. Hope people start breeding to him.. I'm planning on breeding my female to him when she comes in if you go by the every 6 months standard..

Old Post 08-04-2016 05:41 PM
John D
UKC Forum Member

He's a tough ol' hound. HOpe you get to make that cross.

There was a small ditch with water in it less than 10 yards from where he was treed. But when I led him from this tree and crossed it, there were ZERO dog tracks in the mud and he drank like a camel in the Sahara. He had probably been treed for hours in some terrible heat but hadn't let off so much as to even get a drink.

On the other hand, a 120 bpm dog would have quit or died by then.

Old Post 08-04-2016 09:50 PM