UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Do Elkhounds mix with hounds well?
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
griff
UKC Forum Member

Do Elkhounds mix with hounds well?

I have a friend with young sons that seem interested in going coonhunting.
They also have a two year old elkhound with high prey drive.
I have it in mind to try and train the dog with my hounds to see if he will hunt. If it works out it would be a win/win for everybody, dog and boys.
Do they get along with other dogs, or more like a Finnish spitz, not good mixers?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 02-08-2023 01:03 PM
griff is offline Click Here to See the Profile for griff Click here to Send griff a Private Message Click Here to Email griff Find more posts by griff Add griff to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkinriver
UKC Forum Member

Worked on the railroad with a man that hunted elkhound Black and tan crosses. I never hunted with them but everyone that did talked about what treedogs they were and I know he caught a lot of coons with them.

Old Post 02-08-2023 01:32 PM
yadkinriver is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkinriver Click here to Send yadkinriver a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkinriver Visit yadkinriver's homepage! Find more posts by yadkinriver Add yadkinriver to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Elkhorn crosses

I owned a real coon dog that was half elk hound half mountain cur. He was a top coon dog. Opened on track with other dogs, but silent on track by himself. Super tree dog and deadly accurate. Hounds could not keep up with him on a running track, he was always the first to tree. I wish that I had one now as good as he was and I current own a Dual Grand Night Champion that's a pretty good coon dog. Definitely not as good as he was. Dave

Old Post 02-08-2023 10:23 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

Always interested in something different but I have not seen an elkhound in a long time. Are there some folks breeding them for hunting still.

Old Post 02-08-2023 11:18 PM
Preacher Tom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Preacher Tom Click here to Send Preacher Tom a Private Message Click Here to Email Preacher Tom Find more posts by Preacher Tom Add Preacher Tom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Elk hound

quote:
Originally posted by Preacher Tom
Always interested in something different but I have not seen an elkhound in a long time. Are there some folks breeding them for hunting still.

Tom, have not seen any in a long time, but they make excellent coon and squirrel dogs. They are exceptionally smart and love cold weather, but get very hot in the summertime. They are best suited for cool to cold weather. They have exceptional noses and can wind game at a long distance. They run tracks with their nose up in the air. I would love to find s good one myself. Dave

Old Post 02-08-2023 11:28 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
griff
UKC Forum Member

Thanks

Sounds like the answer to my question of whether they hunt with hounds OK would be a yes. Appreciate the response. If it works out I’ll let you know.

Old Post 02-09-2023 09:38 PM
griff is offline Click Here to See the Profile for griff Click here to Send griff a Private Message Click Here to Email griff Find more posts by griff Add griff to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Re: Thanks

quote:
Originally posted by griff
Sounds like the answer to my question of whether they hunt with hounds OK would be a yes. Appreciate the response. If it works out I’ll let you know.

I think you will be happy with the elk hound cross, as they have a excellent nose and are very smart. Dave

Old Post 02-09-2023 10:48 PM