UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Kennel ideas
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
AAThoundhunter
UKC Forum Member

Kennel ideas

I just moved and need some ideas on how to set up a kennel in a timely manner and not to expensive (houses cost a lot of money and I’m feeling light right now). I only have one dog right now but would possibly like something for two in case one day I decide to get another. Im thinking a quick way is to build basically a 10x10 deck and set a kennel on top of that. Anyone have something like this? How is it as far as holding smell and clean ability? It’s February in Michigan there is no pouring concrete..

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 02-07-2023 03:18 PM
AAThoundhunter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AAThoundhunter Click here to Send AAThoundhunter a Private Message Find more posts by AAThoundhunter Add AAThoundhunter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bill(Chew)
UKC Forum Member

That does sound like a good idea, not to expensive and could be moved easily.

Old Post 02-07-2023 04:57 PM
Bill(Chew) is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bill(Chew) Click here to Send Bill(Chew) a Private Message Click Here to Email Bill(Chew) Find more posts by Bill(Chew) Add Bill(Chew) to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

We went to a guys house a while back and he had horse mats on the ground and TOC retriever kennels setting on them. It looked pretty sharp and he said they were easy to clean. For someone that needs something not permanent it would be a perfect set up..

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER PRO SPORT TRUCK WINNER

RIP
*GRNITECH PKC SCH REDNECK MAFIA PKC HALL OF FAME REPRODUCER INDUCTED 2022
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Old Post 02-07-2023 05:24 PM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
lonesomedog1
UKC Forum Member

I agree with Cheyenne stall mats work good and look good.

Old Post 02-07-2023 09:22 PM
lonesomedog1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for lonesomedog1 Click here to Send lonesomedog1 a Private Message Find more posts by lonesomedog1 Add lonesomedog1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Whitty
UKC Forum Member

Do the horse mats not get really hot in the summer. I know the ones we had in horse stalls would get really hot when we had them out in the sun. I guess as long as it is shaded it would be fine.

Old Post 02-07-2023 10:24 PM
Whitty is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Whitty Click here to Send Whitty a Private Message Click Here to Email Whitty Find more posts by Whitty Add Whitty to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Purple12
UKC Forum Member

The pens on the deck are what I do, I make mine 10x20, just have to scoop and spray em, I have a small portable sawmill business so I just find some old cheap wood that holds up to the weather.

Old Post 02-07-2023 11:11 PM
Purple12 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Purple12 Click here to Send Purple12 a Private Message Click Here to Email Purple12 Find more posts by Purple12 Add Purple12 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Triple K Kennel
UKC Forum Member

Pens

I will be doing this in the Spring and have done it in the past and works pretty good.

I have the ground level and make a 10x10 area and put sand down and lightly spray water on it. I then have 16x16 Patio Pavers & lay them on the sand & keep them lever by adding or taking away sand., I leave about a half inch gap in between each Paver, once those are in place I then brush dry sand across the Pavers filling in the Gaps with the dry sand, I then sweep off any excess Sand. I take a Water Hose & Lightly Spray Water on the Pavers. I then let it setup about 48 hrs.....then I put 2 Welded Wire Kennels on top of the Pavers. It's pretty easy to put a roof on top of them but I usually get a Kennel Cover that allows water to go thru the Cover but has plenty of Shade.
This works pretty good & easy to move if you need to.
Tim

Quality, Dependable Coon Lights--Built by a Coonhunter for Coonhunters
==================================
** Superior Lights

** Sunspot Hunting Lights

** Zepp's--Quality Products

** Boss Lights

**Brighteyes Lights

** They Twist it until they start believing it themselves**

Purina Dog Food
** Proven Results **

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Competition Coonhunters and Politicians
** Win anyway you have to & tell everyone what they want to hear **

Old Post 02-08-2023 12:39 AM
Triple K Kennel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Triple K Kennel Click here to Send Triple K Kennel a Private Message Find more posts by Triple K Kennel Add Triple K Kennel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
treedog2345
UKC Forum Member

For the past 4 years I have used a piece of 5 foot wide by 10 feet long mine belt . Indestructible amd cleans off great . Bleach doesn't affect it and dogs seem to like it . I worried about the heat also have had no problems bit mine does have fence row with trees next to it for shade in evening time. Only down side belt is heavy

Old Post 02-08-2023 04:58 PM
treedog2345 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for treedog2345 Click here to Send treedog2345 a Private Message Find more posts by treedog2345 Add treedog2345 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Drafts
UKC Forum Member

10x10 deck

I have had the 10x10 deck with kennels on top for years. I made a floor frame out of 2x4’s on the ground and then put decking boards on top. I also put 4x4 posts in the corners the exact width apart of my 10’ wide chainlink panels. I attach the panels to the posts with pipe straps. Then I frame the roof out of 2x4’s also and put a tin roof on top. Works well. No smell at all. I like it much better than concrete for the reasons of not holding pee smell and also easy on the dogs joints.
Couple things to consider that I will be changing in the future.
1.). Use 2x6’s instead of decking boards for the floors. I spray my pens out every day and the decking boards get weak and break too easily.
2.) Raise the deck up off the ground about 2’. Mine are on the ground now, mice get under the decks and drive some dogs nuts now and then. Also, makes a breeding ground for fleas that is absolutely a pain to try and kill them because you cant access them.

A couple things I’ve noticed over the years,
1.) Put a tin roof on your pens and put the pens under an oak tree. When the acorns start falling you wont have to worry about having a gun shy pup.
2.) I cut a 4” pipe long ways and made a “trough”. Screw it to the back side of the pen and angle it down slightly. Then dig a hole or have a bucket of some sort to catch the dog crap. Makes clean up a lot easier. Next time I will use atleast 6” pipe though. Make sure the back panel is raised up off the floor about 2”.
3.) Be sure to put your decking boards on front to back and not side to side. It will help when washing pens out. The boards won’t “catch” the crap when spraying out near as bad this way.
4.) Next pens I build will not be standard 10x10 chainlink panels. They simply do not last! Will hands down be the Tractor Supply Retriever brand kennels. They are built much better and you dont even need the 4x4 posts or a framed roof for those. Just put the 2x4’s directly on top and screw tin to that.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by Drafts on 02-10-2023 at 12:52 AM

Old Post 02-10-2023 12:48 AM
Drafts is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Drafts Click here to Send Drafts a Private Message Find more posts by Drafts Add Drafts to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote