UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > modify strike points to 25
Pages (4): « First ... « 2 3 [4]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

Why do we have cast? I have asked myself this very question so many times .
I'm very certain that the way the rules are set up has set our hounds genetic progress back. There is way to much handler influence involved in the training for the hunts. The very hunts that was originally supposed to bring the best genetics to the top. I mean that was what the hunts was originally supposed to do right? It's not about who's the best trainer. Who is the best handler.
The way the rules are set up has very little to do with the better dog and way to much to do with the best handler and best trainer for the rules that are in place.
Rules are like laws. Less is more.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 03-09-2023 02:59 PM
pamjohnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pamjohnson Click here to Send pamjohnson a Private Message Click Here to Email pamjohnson Find more posts by pamjohnson Add pamjohnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DL NH
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by pamjohnson
I'm very certain that the way the rules are set up has set our hounds genetic progress back. There is way to much handler influence involved in the training for the hunts. The very hunts that was originally supposed to bring the best genetics to the top. I mean that was what the hunts was originally supposed to do right? It's not about who's the best trainer. Who is the best handler.
The way the rules are set up has very little to do with the better dog and way to much to do with the best handler and best trainer for the rules that are in place.

Simple answer……..FOLLOW THE MONEY!

Old Post 03-09-2023 03:16 PM
DL NH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DL NH Click here to Send DL NH a Private Message Find more posts by DL NH Add DL NH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

quote:

I disagree. The number of dogs that are capable of treeing coons on their own has increased exponentially. What we have now are entire cast are now much of the time of dogs made up of dogs that at one time would have been considered the "leader of the pack". Some breeds history tells us breeding practices were eliminating pups based upon breed standards aka their color instead of ability where in a couple of others were not tied to this and culled by ability this practice from decades past preserved their breed but gave others a jump. The amount of studs available is much more diverse than it once was. Dam owners can pick and choose from a variety that may complement their females traits.
Why have cast?? It's a competition! Like any other type of game you need an opponent. Who can accumulate the most points in a given time by the rules that govern. Why have a handler? Why do teams have coaches? You are the coach and your dog is the player, together you are a team. Like any coach you should know the rules that govern your game and have your player prepared.

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER

RIP
*GRNITECH PKC SCH REDNECK MAFIA PKC HALL OF FAME REPRODUCER INDUCTED 2022
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Old Post 03-09-2023 04:13 PM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

Your caught up in the game.
The reason we have more and perhaps better groups of dogs that can tree coon is because of the modern training and tracking equipment, along with ease of knowledge thru the use of the internet. If you think it's because of the hunts, maybe you need to open your thoughts up to the reason coonhounds have such a low percentage of pups that make the cut.

The hunts and the way the rules are heading will drive a wedge in our sport between the old and young, pleasure and professional handlers. Time will reveal this.

The biggest opponent should be the dogs not the trainers and handlers.

Old Post 03-09-2023 05:55 PM
pamjohnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pamjohnson Click here to Send pamjohnson a Private Message Click Here to Email pamjohnson Find more posts by pamjohnson Add pamjohnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

quote:
Your caught up in the game.
The reason we have more and perhaps better groups of dogs that can tree coon is because of the modern training and tracking equipment, along with ease of knowledge thru the use of the internet. If you think it's because of the hunts, maybe you need to open your thoughts up to the reason coonhounds have such a low percentage of pups that make the cut.

The hunts and the way the rules are heading will drive a wedge in our sport between the old and young, pleasure and professional handlers. Time will reveal this.

The biggest opponent should be the dogs not the trainers and handlers.

I have worked with hundreds of pups from more lines than I can count. Across the board more pups are born with a natural ability that begins at a younger age than decades past. For those that do not make the cut many times the blame can be rightfully placed on handlers screwing them up by their training methods and most of all owners leaving them in the pen and not keeping them in the woods. People are busy, i get it.
Our own dogs do not even wear e collars. On the rare occasion that they do it is a set up controlled situation with a specific purpose.

Time has already revealed the wedge you speak of. We live in an obese lazy society to put it bluntly something that it getting worse with each passing year. Yes, some it's just age, something we will all face. But....So many are not in the shape it takes to compete in an event you are required to walk in. 50 years ago many walk hunted their dogs all night and a 3 hour competition hunt would have been the norm. People's lifestyles were not stagnant like so many are today and hunting from a side-by-side wasn't an option they walked and they worked.

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE

RIP
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Old Post 03-09-2023 06:41 PM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

I will also add that per UKC rules the cast still has to walk at a pace obtainable to all cast members. So regardless of your fitness level, age or whatever you may compete.
I believe the point many of you would like to make but haven't came out and said is that you don't want to walk to split trees from 4 different dogs which much of the time equates to miles by the time it's over. You believe all these dogs are man made this way because of hunt rules. Reality is that so many are born naturally indifferent to what others are doing. Maybe they were only pack animals following a leader when they themselves lacked enough ability to tree coons on their own and have evolved through breeding practices that more and more do not need help therefore more "pack leaders" and less "followers". Even today much of the time at least some of the dogs are on the same tree out of the truck especially if it's close.
Yes, comp hunts but even pleasure hunting with others, even back in the day, they wanted the one that's first. It's human nature.

"TEAM MAFIA"

RIP

Old Post 03-09-2023 07:09 PM
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

I can agree with a little of what your saying. Natural ability is better than it was in the 70's but isn't nearly what it could be.

I hunted wide hunting dogs before tracking collars. I have hunted dogs without any training collar. Put the coat out way too often. Today I don't cut loose without. Nobody serious about the hunts does. I've been told u train them till they die or your done putting them in the hunts.

Society is in general lazy I agree. Breaks my heart to see the older fellows unable to compete. Yeah I know the rules say keep a pace obtainable by all but it's not just the pace it is the miles as well. I also realize the best cast I've been on will walk your guts out and that's because them are fast hard going good coondogs. I'm still very much in great shape and condition for long hard walking up and down hill but I'm not as young as I once was.

I guess I've just seen some things in this sport that was better and realize some things are getting worse. Couple of them I can mention but I don't have answers to are.
Most fellows hunt alone. Me included
Dogs getting real deep. The miles get grueling
Trainers making dogs what they need to.
Lack of young and older hunters
There's more but I reckon we might as well take these rules and the independence of things all the way we can go with it. Go separate strike points

Old Post 03-09-2023 11:45 PM
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Today vs yesteryears

I have seen many changes in my 74 years and over 60 years coon hunting. I definitely know that today's dogs are way better than the dogs of the past were across the board. A top dog was rare in my country 50 years ago and are common today. A dog treeing it's own coon under 1 year of age is really common today, unheard of years ago. While the dogs have gotten better other things have gotten worse. We used to have more hunting places than we could hunt, nowadays places to hunt have diminished and soon will be hard to find. I have seen thousands of acres clear cut and more and more being clear cut. It takes a hundred or more years for oak trees to mature, that's 2 or more generations of humans to see these trees grow back and most of the clear cut areas grow back in pines. Animals like coons rely on oaks for food. Loss of timber and habitat has caused a loss in population of coons and other small animals. Even the National forest areas are being clear cut. Hunters are losing ground to hunt at a fast rate. I really wish that I could go back 50 years and do it all again, hunt all night in a boundary of timber enjoying a good population of coons, but those days are over. My wish today are that all of us can operate in the best interest of our sport of coon hunting while we still can. Dave

Old Post 03-10-2023 11:24 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
OLD TIMER
UKC Forum Member

Good post Mr Richards, but=

I learnt that “location” had more to do with how good of hound we had in the early years. I started hunting in 1956 with a gentleman who had a yellow lab and a black lab Airedale cross and I had a 3/4 blue tick 1/4 Walker. We treed a lot of coon but my biscuit eater wore out my jacket because I had to leave it out many a night because she loved to exercise deer if she didn’t fine a raccoon. Made my own shock collar using a Model A coil and a 9 volt battery. It was not cordless but it did send a message. In 63 I got my first Reg hound that was born deer proof and if the others ran junk he came back and would set by me. (In 88 I got a female from the same line and she would do the same) I raised a litter out of that grade female and kept a pup that was doing it all at 9 months of age and the funny thing is he was born as straight as an arrow and he and a couple of his litter mates treed me the biggest coon I have even harvested, 56 pounds and 51 inches from tip of nose to tip of tail. (It was weighted on a scale) All of the above hounds were natural tree hounds and stayed until you got to them. That first female treed for 5 hours one night before we got to her. And her pup is buried at the base of the tree we got that big raccoon out of. I hunted with lots of different hunters in the early years “up here” and they all had nice tree hounds. But I have talked with hunters from the south and they tell me that wasn’t the case for them.

I do believe you are right on with the lost of hunting ground but the bigger thing happening is those that hunt other game, bear, coyote or cats, can not use a dog that doesn’t pack. And for those that still pleasure hunt with friends don’t want “todays” winners. We still want to hear the music of the track and the good change over at the tree.

Enjoy what you like, but don’t feed what you don’t 😉

Old Post 03-11-2023 01:19 PM
OLD TIMER is offline Click Here to See the Profile for OLD TIMER Click Here to Email OLD TIMER Find more posts by OLD TIMER Add OLD TIMER to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kler Kry
UKC Forum Member

Identifying the BEST DOG

The high coon population makes it difficult to identify an outstanding track dog
When I find a outstanding running coon I give it a NAME and try not to kill it. It takes a coon that doesn,t want to tree to make a top track dog!

The Competition Hunts are becoming less of a place to identify SUPERIORITY of performance.

I don't want to hunt a dog during the week that won't compete. Lowering the strike points will just result in producing lower quality that are mentally challenged.

Ken Risley

Old Post 03-11-2023 03:33 PM
Kler Kry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Kler Kry Click here to Send Kler Kry a Private Message Click Here to Email Kler Kry Find more posts by Kler Kry Add Kler Kry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DL NH
UKC Forum Member

Top track dogs are born top track dogs. Same goes for tree dogs. All they need is an owner/handler to put them in the woods where they can find coon and take good care of them physically. It’s always more enjoyable if the owner/handler puts the extra time in getting them to handle as well.

It’s up to us humans to give them the chance to bring out the best of their genetically predisposed abilities. No hound becomes good at that by sitting in a pen or on the end of the chain.

Wonder if the Cummings family has any idea how many hours, miles and dollars it took to have a World Champion?

39 years ago when my wife and I married, she suggested we keep records on what it cost us to keep my hounds. I didn’t even pause to think about that. Just said, “Nope we don’t want to know!🤫

Old Post 03-11-2023 04:01 PM
DL NH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DL NH Click here to Send DL NH a Private Message Find more posts by DL NH Add DL NH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by DL NH
Top track dogs are born top track dogs. Same goes for tree dogs. All they need is an owner/handler to put them in the woods where they can find coon and take good care of them physically. It’s always more enjoyable if the owner/handler puts the extra time in getting them to handle as well.

It’s up to us humans to give them the chance to bring out the best of their genetically predisposed abilities. No hound becomes good at that by sitting in a pen or on the end of the chain.

Wonder if the Cummings family has any idea how many hours, miles and dollars it took to have a World Champion?

39 years ago when my wife and I married, she suggested we keep records on what it cost us to keep my hounds. I didn’t even pause to think about that. Just said, “Nope we don’t want to know!🤫

I know what I tell the IRS and deductions aren't hard to find lol!
2 WC this year and an old National Champion/Platnium Ch still being hunted and still producing pups. Countless hours and countless miles. We've been lucky and blessed that it has came to a point where they are paying their own way. But even if competition hunts ended tomorrow and we were in the hole like the old days Cheyenne would still be doing what he loves and doing his best to pass it on to others and future generations like was done before him.

"TEAM MAFIA"

RIP

Old Post 03-11-2023 09:06 PM
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Coon Hunting

quote:
Originally posted by Redneck Mafia
I know what I tell the IRS and deductions aren't hard to find lol!
2 WC this year and an old National Champion/Platnium Ch still being hunted and still producing pups. Countless hours and countless miles. We've been lucky and blessed that it has came to a point where they are paying their own way. But even if competition hunts ended tomorrow and we were in the hole like the old days Cheyenne would still be doing what he loves and doing his best to pass it on to others and future generations like was done before him.

Lol. I learned many years ago that the cost of coon hunting never compared to the joy that I got from coon hunting. You definitely do not make any money, but for those of us that love the sport, coon hunting is priceless. Men like Cheyenne Cummings know exactly what I mean by this statement. I am fortunate to be blessed in so many ways and coon hunting is up near the top. Dave

Old Post 03-12-2023 10:06 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote