UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Breeds > Treeing Walkers > Is cancer a common health issue in Walkers?
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
JeanneMeier
UKC Forum Member

Is cancer a common health issue in Walkers?

I have had two Treeing Walker hounds, both seemed to pass much sooner than I would've expected - one at 7 years old and the other at 6-1/2 years old. Both had different cancers, but I am wondering if cancer is a common health ailment in this breed.

Does anyone know?

Thank you,

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 12-17-2017 02:19 AM
JeanneMeier is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JeanneMeier Click here to Send JeanneMeier a Private Message Visit JeanneMeier's homepage! Find more posts by JeanneMeier Add JeanneMeier to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Larry Atherton
UKC Forum Member

The long and short of it ... too many unknown variables to make such a broad statement because of 2 occurrences.

Aim small miss small

Old Post 12-17-2017 02:50 AM
Larry Atherton is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Larry Atherton Click here to Send Larry Atherton a Private Message Click Here to Email Larry Atherton Visit Larry Atherton's homepage! Find more posts by Larry Atherton Add Larry Atherton to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kordog
UKC Forum Member

I'm going to say it is definitely not a problem in the treeing walker breed as they may die from various things like all hunting dogs,but to lose two at those ages to cancer would make me ask a lot of questions as to why this happened.my friend lost a black n tan to cancer which came as no surprise to me as she was just a pet that was way way overfed with dog food people food ,treats,and under exercised,making her weigh twice what a normal hound of her frame should 130 lbs.they also kept giving this dog steroid shots ever month for allergies when the dog was more stressed out from lack of exercise and dried out from laying in front of heaters ,and woodstoves 24 7. the vet they had preyed very heavy on their emotions right to the bitter end.the dog was literally killed with kindness.he wouldn't run her,because they meaning him ,and his wife were so afraid something would happen to her.the hound he had previous to this one lived to be 15 was in great shape 45 lbs ,hunted hard, fed once a day with very minimal vet visits other than rabies shot.

Old Post 12-17-2017 12:29 PM
kordog is offline Click Here to See the Profile for kordog Click here to Send kordog a Private Message Click Here to Email kordog Find more posts by kordog Add kordog to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JeanneMeier
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by kordog
I'm going to say it is definitely not a problem in the treeing walker breed as they may die from various things like all hunting dogs,but to lose two at those ages to cancer would make me ask a lot of questions as to why this happened.my friend lost a black n tan to cancer which came as no surprise to me as she was just a pet that was way way overfed with dog food people food ,treats,and under exercised,making her weigh twice what a normal hound of her frame should 130 lbs.they also kept giving this dog steroid shots ever month for allergies when the dog was more stressed out from lack of exercise and dried out from laying in front of heaters ,and woodstoves 24 7. the vet they had preyed very heavy on their emotions right to the bitter end.the dog was literally killed with kindness.he wouldn't run her,because they meaning him ,and his wife were so afraid something would happen to her.the hound he had previous to this one lived to be 15 was in great shape 45 lbs ,hunted hard, fed once a day with very minimal vet visits other than rabies shot.

Kordog, you hit the nail on the head with this post.

My first hound was a real looker, perfect body weight - very active and healthy, but she had a lot of "false pregnancies", which the vet said can cause breast cancer (which she had). The second hound was emaciated when we got her, and had a vicious appetite that could never be filled. Even though I walked her nightly, she was way too big for her own good. When we moved to Tennessee she had the worst issue with allergies that I have ever seen. The county I live in is in the top ten of the world (literally) for allergies. Anyway, she, too, had to have steroid injections repeatedly. The vet said it could shorten her life span, but I had no idea it would cut her that short. I do not know what kind of cancer she had, but they suspected a tumor on her spine. She went down so fast that it didn't matter to me. Both back legs went lame in a matter of a few days, and I couldn't let her go like that.

I feel much better regarding the cancer issue. I think I need to find a hound that is native to this area, as that would probably help on the cancer end of it. Once I do find one I will try not to kill her with kindness, because I tend to do that. My dogs are just pets, hunting only when a chicken goes missing or something like that.

Thanks for your input. You've helped me settle my mind quite a bit.

Old Post 12-18-2017 07:12 PM
JeanneMeier is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JeanneMeier Click here to Send JeanneMeier a Private Message Visit JeanneMeier's homepage! Find more posts by JeanneMeier Add JeanneMeier to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
4play
UKC Forum Member

JMO

Bi products,fillers and preservatives put into today's Dog food is a big part of Cancer in dogs.
Also pesticides sprayed on farmers fields, we hunt our dogs in don't help.They have to ingest them into their body if their breathing it?
JMO

Old Post 12-19-2017 09:20 PM
4play is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 4play Click here to Send 4play a Private Message Click Here to Email 4play Find more posts by 4play Add 4play to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kordog
UKC Forum Member

I hope you have better luck in the future with the health of your dogs. sincerely ,kory

Old Post 12-20-2017 03:59 AM
kordog is offline Click Here to See the Profile for kordog Click here to Send kordog a Private Message Click Here to Email kordog Find more posts by kordog Add kordog to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
buck brush
UKC Forum Member

every good dog I have ever owned has died or came down with some sort of cancer. I have had two vets. tell me it is from smelling insecticides. weed killers .
if you read on the labels of a lot of them they have warnings . IMO I believe it is true.

gone but will never be forgotten

PR Van Dusen's Hanna o/h
NTCH PR Buck Brush Little Maggie o/h
NTCH PR Buck Brush Little Mickey o/h
PR Buck Brush Copper o/h
D NTCH PR Crooked Oak Boss o/h
D NtCH PR Alford's Alibi h
NTCH PR Alford's Hatchet h
NT CH PR Mill's Dotty h

Old Post 12-22-2017 10:08 PM
buck brush is offline Click Here to See the Profile for buck brush Click here to Send buck brush a Private Message Click Here to Email buck brush Find more posts by buck brush Add buck brush to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Fisher13
UKC Forum Member

round up has been linked.. but i know skuna river fred died of cancer, and the mother of my dog a daughter of fred died of cancer. I'm hoping my pup doesn't go the same route. If so that would be 3 generations which would strongly point towards a genetic trait.

Old Post 01-03-2018 04:43 AM
Fisher13 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Fisher13 Click here to Send Fisher13 a Private Message Find more posts by Fisher13 Add Fisher13 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote