UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Big Game Hunting > Longest race on cat or ? Not bear
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Ray&Luie
UKC Forum Member

Longest race on cat or ? Not bear

We all know bear races can last days but whats the longest race on the ground youve had after a cat or yote or ?

Ray Hudson

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 07-01-2010 09:19 PM
Ray&Luie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ray&Luie Click here to Send Ray&Luie a Private Message Find more posts by Ray&Luie Add Ray&Luie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gary Roberson
UKC Forum Member

Partner,
Do you mean distance or time? Coyotes can cover miles while cats tend to run in small thick cover around here.
We dumped the hounds on a cat that I had called up about two months ago. It was 92 degrees and the humidity was in the 80's. We ran that cat off and on for two hours and 18 minutes and did not catch him. Finally, the dogs played out and started filtering back to the truck.
We were shooting for the TV show and need the cat in a tree so that our hunter could shoot it with a bow. I was afraid that the dogs were so beat that they would not be able to go the next morning. We cleaned their eyes up and dumped them out to road and loosen them up. After about a mile, the dogs struck a good track had him jumped in a couple of minutes and ran her for 48 minutes without making a loose before she treed.
The longest I have ever run a cat (and I mean run without any major looses with running walker type hounds) was an hour and 15 minutes. Normally, in my country, if I really pressure a cat without a major loose or two, 20 minutes is a long race. A cat does not have the big lung capacity that a coyote or even coon has.
The longest race I have heard of on a coyote started at sundown one evening and ended almost 50 mile away the next mroning about 7:00 a.m. when the workers started showing up at the D'hanis brick plant. One lemon spotted gyp finished the race with the coyote bayed under the office building. MY Great Uncle A. E. Outlaw was the hunter.
Adios,
Gary

Old Post 07-02-2010 04:10 PM
Gary Roberson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Gary Roberson Click here to Send Gary Roberson a Private Message Click Here to Email Gary Roberson Find more posts by Gary Roberson Add Gary Roberson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ray&Luie
UKC Forum Member

yotes & Cats

iv ran some cats before, and your right they do the same here they circle alot and dart here and there, one of the best races iv ever listen to was two walkers and a redbone, female, run head on with one, one night, on a branch and they run that thing about 2 hours befor they tree him up a big pine tree on a hill ..........never ran to many coyotes dont gess iv ever had the right kinda dog power lol

Ray Hudson

Old Post 07-13-2010 03:15 PM
Ray&Luie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ray&Luie Click here to Send Ray&Luie a Private Message Find more posts by Ray&Luie Add Ray&Luie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gary Roberson
UKC Forum Member

Partner
I don't know if I want the kind of dog power that it takes to catch a coyote as you generally have to change zip codes to see the catch.
Had a couple of good races this morning. Caught a couple of coons, killed a rattler and the dogs started a track about 8:00 a.m. They were handling it a little different and giving different mouths; more chopping on track. They made a big circle and were coming in my direction so I moved where I could see about 200 yards down a road in front of me. If the critter continued on course, it would have to cross this road. In a matter of seconds, I saw what I frst thought was a jackrabbit bouncing from the brush. Upon further examination, I realized that it was a gray fox. It hit the road and turned and was running up the road to me. When it got about 25 yards away, it left the road. I turned to watch the hound hit the road and you could have covered all three with a saddle blanket. They were gaining on the fox with every stride. The fox had left the road only long enough to avoid me and the pickup and hit it again behind me.
He did not go much further before the hounds put him in a big hollow log. I allow my dogs to run fox but don't let them have them so I called them to the truck.
Adios,
Gary

Old Post 07-13-2010 08:50 PM
Gary Roberson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Gary Roberson Click here to Send Gary Roberson a Private Message Click Here to Email Gary Roberson Find more posts by Gary Roberson Add Gary Roberson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Josh Farnsworth
UKC Forum Member

Gary,

You always seem to paint a vivid picture. Thanks for chiming in.

Old Post 07-13-2010 09:06 PM
Josh Farnsworth is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Josh Farnsworth Click here to Send Josh Farnsworth a Private Message Click Here to Email Josh Farnsworth Find more posts by Josh Farnsworth Add Josh Farnsworth to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gary Roberson
UKC Forum Member

Josh
That's cause I am windy!
Adios Partner,
Gary

Old Post 07-14-2010 03:16 PM
coondogedog
UKC Forum Member

Ray, Where have you been? I haven't noticed you on the board lately. Runnin' Bobcats?

Old Post 07-14-2010 03:47 PM
coondogedog is offline Click Here to See the Profile for coondogedog Click here to Send coondogedog a Private Message Click Here to Email coondogedog Find more posts by coondogedog Add coondogedog to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ray&Luie
UKC Forum Member

Iv been ?

quote:
Originally posted by coondogedog
Ray, Where have you been? I haven't noticed you on the board lately. Runnin' Bobcats?

Iv been around , and no, i wish i had the dog power to run a cat lol, Im in and out mostly weve been pretty busy the last few weeks so i dont have much goof off time

Ray Hudson

Old Post 07-14-2010 04:20 PM
Brady Davis
UKC Forum Member

I have heard of Lion races going on for days. I personally have ran a lion all day 15+ hours. Pulled hounds off and restarted the next morning and treed it about noon. Not sure exactly how far it was but we had some dead tired horses, mules and hunters. We hunt big country here and when we dump our hounds anything is possible.

Old Post 07-24-2010 12:18 AM
Brady Davis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Brady Davis Click here to Send Brady Davis a Private Message Click Here to Email Brady Davis Find more posts by Brady Davis Add Brady Davis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ray&Luie
UKC Forum Member

Lion

quote:
Originally posted by Brady Davis
I have heard of Lion races going on for days. I personally have ran a lion all day 15+ hours. Pulled hounds off and restarted the next morning and treed it about noon. Not sure exactly how far it was but we had some dead tired horses, mules and hunters. We hunt big country here and when we dump our hounds anything is possible.

Where are you From Brady ?

Ray Hudson

Old Post 07-27-2010 03:24 PM
Gary Roberson
UKC Forum Member

Brady
That covers a lot of time but how long did you run the lion after getting it jumped? What state are you from? Sounds like you are west of me and maybe a little north, of course most folks are a little north of me.
Adios,
Gary

Old Post 07-30-2010 03:16 PM
Brady Davis
UKC Forum Member

I live in Colorado now...Grew up hunting in UT....Very very similar type country in both states where I hunt. As I said, I dunno how far it was but it was dang far! LOL. I've never seen one run straight out that long and far... Good times!

Old Post 07-30-2010 05:51 PM
Brady Davis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Brady Davis Click here to Send Brady Davis a Private Message Click Here to Email Brady Davis Find more posts by Brady Davis Add Brady Davis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
joey+redticks
UKC Forum Member

One time we ran a yote 20 miles to the state line, Ohio/Indiana, and right before he hit the state line he turned around and went straight back the 20 miles where he bayed in a tile. I think at the end 23 different dogs had ran him. The one that finally caught him was the only july walker there.

Old Post 07-31-2010 03:54 PM
joey+redticks is offline Click Here to See the Profile for joey+redticks Click here to Send joey+redticks a Private Message Click Here to Email joey+redticks Visit joey+redticks's homepage! Find more posts by joey+redticks Add joey+redticks to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
psiskjr
UKC Forum Member

Ran a coon once two hours and forty five minutes. Best coon race I ever heard. This was with real coondogs too. Prior to this they only ran an average of five to ten minutes. Never did tree this coon but saw him numerous times crossing back and forth across the road.

psiskjr

Old Post 08-01-2010 03:56 PM
psiskjr is offline Click Here to See the Profile for psiskjr Click here to Send psiskjr a Private Message Click Here to Email psiskjr Find more posts by psiskjr Add psiskjr to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rmcmillan
UKC Forum Member

good reading , keep it up

Nt.Ch. Gr.Ch. Gr.WCh. Pr. McMillans Blue Crystal
Ntch. GrCh. Pr. McMillans Blue Magic
Gr.Nt.Ch. Pr. McMillans Blue Hawk
Nt. Ch. Pr. McMillans Blue Rage
all are gone now but will NEVER BE FORGOTTEN

CH. PR. MCMILLANS TREE ROCKIN BRANDY
CH. PR. MCMILLANS MIDNITES STINGIN SADIE

Old Post 08-19-2010 10:12 PM
rmcmillan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rmcmillan Click here to Send rmcmillan a Private Message Find more posts by rmcmillan Add rmcmillan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Brady Davis
UKC Forum Member

I once chased a girl for 8 months straight before I caught her and got her to say I do...After reading all your guys' posts above, I'd say that is the longest race ever....Dang she was a fast one too, but I'm just a hair quicker!

Old Post 08-19-2010 11:12 PM
Ray&Luie
UKC Forum Member

long chase

quote:
Originally posted by Brady Davis
I once chased a girl for 8 months straight before I caught her and got her to say I do...After reading all your guys' posts above, I'd say that is the longest race ever....Dang she was a fast one too, but I'm just a hair quicker!

I bet the fur flew when you caught her too lol
them shemales can really be tuff

Ray Hudson

Old Post 08-23-2010 03:13 PM