UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Hound health question
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Greg Coots
UKC Forum Member

Hound health question

I have an 8 year old male dog that has a problem with his feet between his toes and around his pads it is just raw meat he can barely walk idk if it's an infection or what I've been giving him penicillin and even a tetracycline shot and I put the blue kote medicine on his feet twice a day nothing has worked any advice would be greatly appreciated thanks.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 09-19-2017 07:17 PM
Greg Coots is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Greg Coots Click here to Send Greg Coots a Private Message Click Here to Email Greg Coots Find more posts by Greg Coots Add Greg Coots to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kris Cisna
UKC Forum Member

Do they smell?

Have you tried Betadine?

Old Post 09-19-2017 07:33 PM
Kris Cisna is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Kris Cisna Click here to Send Kris Cisna a Private Message Click Here to Email Kris Cisna Find more posts by Kris Cisna Add Kris Cisna to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Greg Coots
UKC Forum Member

No I haven't tried Betedine what is it and where do you get it?

Old Post 09-19-2017 07:37 PM
Greg Coots is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Greg Coots Click here to Send Greg Coots a Private Message Click Here to Email Greg Coots Find more posts by Greg Coots Add Greg Coots to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

Probably a fungal infection so antibiotics will do nothing but maybe cover for secondary bacterial infection. You can but betadine at DG or Wal-Mart it usually does take care of fungus, staph ringworms ect. I would get a good over the counter yeast infection cream (ask your wife she may hace some)or athletes foot antifungal medication maybe even the spray because it is drying. Also try to keep him in a clean dry environment till healed. If he is in the ground or in a kennel that is dirty or wet it will prolong it. If the over the counter treatment is not showing improvement in a few days are your vet for prescription topical and antifungal pills. You may also have luck with sulfur mixed with coconut oil. I have found very few skin issues it doesn't heal.
Jen

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER PRO SPORT TRUCK WINNER

RIP
*GRNITECH PKC SCH REDNECK MAFIA PKC HALL OF FAME REPRODUCER INDUCTED 2022
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Old Post 09-19-2017 07:47 PM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Greg Coots
UKC Forum Member

Ok thanks I'm willing to try about anything

Old Post 09-19-2017 07:56 PM
Kris Cisna
UKC Forum Member

I would try Betadine for 2 days and see what happens before I would start putting any topicals on it. You can even use Betadine and vinegar separately for 2 days to see if the paws improve any.

Betadine is a surgical scrub that, I feel, is amazing at wound care.

As redneck mafia said, walmart, CVS, walgreens or any drug store should have it.

Old Post 09-19-2017 08:08 PM
Kris Cisna is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Kris Cisna Click here to Send Kris Cisna a Private Message Click Here to Email Kris Cisna Find more posts by Kris Cisna Add Kris Cisna to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
KYHoundDawg
UKC Forum Member

Could be allergies if you have switched his food up or given new treats lately.

PR B&B Docs Buzzed Again

Past Hounds
PR Horsefly Hollow Pepper, passed with a 1st and HTX pass
GRCH NITCH PR Allens Nationwide Suckerpunch HTX
GrCH2 NITCH PR Brockman's Remington Clover HTX

GRCH GRNITCH PKC SCH PR Brockman’s Blue Buzz HTX (semen available)
BBOA
502-417-2086

Old Post 09-19-2017 08:32 PM
KYHoundDawg is offline Click Here to See the Profile for KYHoundDawg Click here to Send KYHoundDawg a Private Message Click Here to Email KYHoundDawg Find more posts by KYHoundDawg Add KYHoundDawg to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bearhunter747
UKC Forum Member

My friend had a black dog with an allergy and he had to give his dog 4mg if prednisone every other day or his pads would come bout off and between his toes would be raw. Vet said it was an allergy to something. He would get a 90 day supply from vet at a time and as long as the dog had pills no problem with the feet!

Old Post 09-19-2017 10:42 PM
bearhunter747 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bearhunter747 Click here to Send bearhunter747 a Private Message Find more posts by bearhunter747 Add bearhunter747 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote