UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Curs and Feists > FDM's Definition of a Cur Dog
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
fdm
Banned

FDM's Definition of a Cur Dog

A quick look in the dictionary will show us that cur means a mangy mongrel or a crossbred dog. However over the past century the usage of the word has come to have a different meaning. A Cur is a type, group, or family of dog. (i.e. – Hound, Terrier, Feist, etc)
After many years of petitioning the Merriam-Webster Dictionary, in Nov, 2006 they have agreed to review the meaning of the word Cur and will considering adding another meaning. This could still take years, but it’s a great start that the word has been added to their files for revision!

The Cur breeds were developed in remote and rural parts of the Southern United States. Most of the early American settlers who utilized a Cur breed of dog were not well off and so out of necessity they required a dog that could serve multiple purposes: hunter, family guardian and stock dog; a multi-purpose hunting and working dog with a strong spirit and stamina. These dogs played an important role in the everyday lives of their owners; protecting farm and family, working various livestock and hunting to help put food on the table.

Cur breeds were developed first and foremost for their performance, with their working instinct being the first factor a breeder would consider. A medium to medium-large sized, short coated dog, they are powerfully built, but yet fast and agile while trailing in rough terrain and swampy areas. A hard hunter that finds game using both ground and wind scenting. They are equally capable of hunting small game such as squirrel and raccoon or big game such as bear and cougar. They have a strong treeing instinct on all game and will also hold at bay larger game such as feral hogs or cattle on the ground.

While hunting on track they can be either silent, semi-open or open, depending on the breed and what the breeder/hunter prefers in his dogs. They are mainly a hot nosed dog, only following a scent that is strong and has been laid recently. When a hot track is not immediately available, many Cur breeds will circle wide areas or cold tracks until a hot track is located and can be followed, then leaving the track when their quarry is sighted.

They are intelligent, with a strong desire to please. Known as a courageous hunter that can stand their ground against formidable prey, they also make excellent companions and watch dogs as they are affectionate, very loyal and protective of their owner and family.

Even though individual Cur breeds have been around as purebreds since the early 1900's, many were not officially recognized with their own breed club until the 1950's because most of the breeders that owned these dogs were working people who were interested mainly in a working dog and not in registration papers.

(I once stopped in at a coffee shop and had a few of my dogs in the back of the van. An older gentleman stopped me, thrilled to see that I had Cur dogs with me and then proceeded to tell me stories of his childhood in Virginia with his own cur dogs.)

Because the Cur is a hunting dog they are sometimes confused or grouped together with the hound group. Being a Cur dog though, they do vary in their hunting methods as compared to a hound.

A few of the differences –

A Cur is silent on track, only baying when it’s prey is treed or bayed, where most hounds are open (bark) on track.

A Cur is hot-nosed (will only track a recent scent) where most hounds are cold-nosed (tracking a scent that is quite old.)

A Cur is short-ranged (will not trail far for it’s prey) where many hounds will go for miles and miles, sometimes being gone half a day on a track.

While an excellent hunter, a Cur will also work or bay cattle, something that most hounds can not do.

A Cur is protective of its family, while most hounds do not show this trait.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 11-09-2010 02:55 PM
fdm is offline Click Here to See the Profile for fdm Click here to Send fdm a Private Message Find more posts by fdm Add fdm to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nccatfisher
UKC Forum Member

You say this is your definition I call B/S on this. You say this in the first person I say cut and paste, you can't even catch your dogs to have had them in a van.

https://sites.google.com/site/riverroadkennel/

Old Post 11-09-2010 07:37 PM
nccatfisher is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nccatfisher Click here to Send nccatfisher a Private Message Click Here to Email nccatfisher Visit nccatfisher's homepage! Find more posts by nccatfisher Add nccatfisher to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
fdm
Banned

Tim, If you read to much of my stuff, you will go blind.

Old Post 11-09-2010 08:10 PM
fdm is offline Click Here to See the Profile for fdm Click here to Send fdm a Private Message Find more posts by fdm Add fdm to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nccatfisher
UKC Forum Member

No, I just call it out for the poor people that don't know any better like the guy with the new cur. I really figure you hunt just about exactly as much as Robert Kemmer.

https://sites.google.com/site/riverroadkennel/

Old Post 11-09-2010 08:53 PM
nccatfisher is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nccatfisher Click here to Send nccatfisher a Private Message Click Here to Email nccatfisher Visit nccatfisher's homepage! Find more posts by nccatfisher Add nccatfisher to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
triker
UKC Forum Member

i say fdm is so full of chit he cant see straight.what are you the new cur dog god.i have open mouth cold nosed kemmers so your definition is not at all correct.fdm if you hunted curs as much as you talk about them you might have something.thanks ron

GRCH GRNTCH CARGILLS JEWELL

Old Post 11-09-2010 09:22 PM
triker is offline Click Here to See the Profile for triker Click here to Send triker a Private Message Click Here to Email triker Find more posts by triker Add triker to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
fdm
Banned

triker, Sounds like you got alot of hound in your Kemmers.

Old Post 11-09-2010 09:49 PM
James Jamison
UKC Forum Member

If you don't know about cold nosed, open mouthed Kemmers, you know nothing at all about Kemmers, which I figured a LOOOONG time ago.

Old Post 11-09-2010 10:29 PM
James Jamison is offline Click Here to See the Profile for James Jamison Click here to Send James Jamison a Private Message Click Here to Email James Jamison Find more posts by James Jamison Add James Jamison to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
fdm
Banned

My definition is that of a Cur Dog, not some mixed breed hound.

Old Post 11-09-2010 11:27 PM
James Jamison
UKC Forum Member

Well, not to sound like a broken record, but how about a picture of one of your pure bred, hot nosed, cattle herding, guard dog, black mouthed, kemmer, treeing brindle, parnell carolina hybrid dogs that you can't catch?

And while you have the camera out, try and snap a pic of the ass end of that donkey running away from you.

Old Post 11-10-2010 01:02 AM
James Jamison is offline Click Here to See the Profile for James Jamison Click here to Send James Jamison a Private Message Click Here to Email James Jamison Find more posts by James Jamison Add James Jamison to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cur Hunter
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by nccatfisher
You say this is your definition I call B/S on this. You say this in the first person I say cut and paste, you can't even catch your dogs to have had them in a van.

Yep cut & paste. Here's the source of his stolen info::

http://www.bconnex.net/~langevin/ht..._cur__dog_.html

Old Post 11-10-2010 02:34 AM
Cur Hunter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cur Hunter Click here to Send Cur Hunter a Private Message Find more posts by Cur Hunter Add Cur Hunter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cur Hunter
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by fdm
My definition is that of a Cur Dog, not some mixed breed hound.

Your definition? Really? LOL!

Old Post 11-10-2010 02:37 AM
Cur Hunter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cur Hunter Click here to Send Cur Hunter a Private Message Find more posts by Cur Hunter Add Cur Hunter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
fdm
Banned

Cur Hunter, What do you think I should do, go up to the court house, and turn myself in? You read to much of my stuff, you will go blind.

Old Post 11-10-2010 01:21 PM
James Jamison
UKC Forum Member

Instead of turning yourself in at the courthouse,

You should consider signing yourself in, In a nuthouse!!!

Old Post 11-10-2010 03:45 PM
Mary Langevin
New UKC Forum Member

Info From My Website

I've been made aware that "fdm" has cited info from my website claiming it's his own. The info posted here on Cur Dogs is my own from my website and has been copied and pasted here.

James - thanks for pointing out that Kemmers are cold nosed.

Old Post 11-10-2010 05:22 PM
Mary Langevin is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mary Langevin Click here to Send Mary Langevin a Private Message Click Here to Email Mary Langevin Find more posts by Mary Langevin Add Mary Langevin to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote