UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Off Topic > The Gardening Thread
Pages (18): « First ... « 15 16 [17] 18 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Rex Ridge
UKC Forum Member

The last yr we had our garden the deer trashed it. They ate the tops of our peppers and tomatoes, plus everything else we had to sink their teeth into.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 07-25-2022 12:09 AM
Rex Ridge is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rex Ridge Click here to Send Rex Ridge a Private Message Find more posts by Rex Ridge Add Rex Ridge to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Driftwoodblue
UKC Forum Member

I had deer eating apples off the lower limbs on my apple trees..and coyotes too. tried the soap trick, did not work too well... I got some moth balls from Walgreens and drove a stake in the ground about ever 30 feet and tied a tin can to them put about 3 moth balls in each.. sure seemed to work the last 2 years.. the Coyotes did start returning after about 3 weeks.
just refresh them when they evaporate.
just started it again this year

Old Post 07-28-2022 01:06 PM
Driftwoodblue is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Driftwoodblue Click here to Send Driftwoodblue a Private Message Find more posts by Driftwoodblue Add Driftwoodblue to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rex Ridge
UKC Forum Member

We've tried soap and hair before, it seems they get use to it. Have to try some new things next year. They're welcome to come in and eat now. He's planting food plots. The only things we'll be using to deter them now will be a broadhead or lead this fall.

Old Post 07-29-2022 02:48 AM
Rex Ridge is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rex Ridge Click here to Send Rex Ridge a Private Message Find more posts by Rex Ridge Add Rex Ridge to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rex Ridge
UKC Forum Member

Is everyone canning or freezing? We got a few tomatoes and some peppers. Made sandwiches with the tomatoes and sliced some of the peppers to eat raw plus chopped some up to freeze. I didn't pick them until they turned red...really sweet.

Old Post 09-08-2022 11:30 PM
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Rex Ridge
Is everyone canning or freezing? We got a few tomatoes and some peppers. Made sandwiches with the tomatoes and sliced some of the peppers to eat raw plus chopped some up to freeze. I didn't pick them until they turned red...really sweet.

We've been doing both. Ash has a ton of tomatoes in the freezer we're going to can. This has been working really well to freeze as they come ripe then can in big batches.
She had been quite a but of okra and freezing it then the cows got in her yard and ate it 😠. She froze a lot of corn for us and I've been canning sweet pickle relish with the bigger cucumbers. Dalton loves it and using a ton making tuna fish sandwiches.
I freeze sweet peppers chopped up for winter use but jalapeņos I slice and can. The chili peppers get stung up on fishing line to dry and I just break off and crumble up as I need them. Herbs get bundled and hung upside down from a hanging rack in my kitchen and same thing, I just break off as needed when I'm cooking. For longer storage, if I get energetic, I will crush and put into glass jars.
We've finally been getting some rain after a long HOT, DRY summer. The fields are looking good for a second cutting of hay!

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER PRO SPORT TRUCK WINNER

RIP
*GRNITECH PKC SCH REDNECK MAFIA PKC HALL OF FAME REPRODUCER INDUCTED 2022
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Last edited by Redneck Mafia on 09-10-2022 at 04:25 AM

Old Post 09-10-2022 03:39 AM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER PRO SPORT TRUCK WINNER

RIP
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Old Post 09-20-2022 05:12 AM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RC-Abby
UKC Forum Member

Frost

Might be done picking tomatoes 4 this year. I had 30 degrees at 8:15 this morning. In the past 6 weeks I have picked well over 2 bushels and put out by road. This does not include the 3 to 4 bushel my family put up. Don't remember picking tomatoes this late in the fall. Planted 3 Amish Paste/Roma. WoW did they produce this year. Next year I will give each plant more room to expand. But maybe next year they won't need it.

Cow manure last fall. Epson salts and milk replacer 5 times thru the summer.

Hope your garden's were good also!

Randi

Old Post 10-14-2022 02:27 PM
RC-Abby is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RC-Abby Click here to Send RC-Abby a Private Message Find more posts by RC-Abby Add RC-Abby to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

Good advice on what you used, thanks! We are still picking alot! They are loaded down with green ones too but Ash and mom are going to pick them all this weekend and pull up the cages. Ashton and Tyler sold the farm that garden is on and have just moved to another one and this is the last weekend there. I asked mom to make me some pickled green tomatoes and some sweet tomato relish then we're going to wrap some up and put them in the basement to ripen out. I've honestly never seen as many as are on those plants! Good river bottom dirt and I hope at the new place we can grow them like that. She has countless bags in the freezer we've just been chunking up to can later. Between hunts and moving a farm no one has had time to can for a while!
Happy fall gardening y'all,
Jen

"TEAM MAFIA"

RIP

Old Post 10-15-2022 02:32 AM
Rex Ridge
UKC Forum Member

We had snow this week, the next day, Chuck mowed 3rd crop. Temps are in the high 60s, heavy dew and short days r of course hurting the drying, but it's going to be dry a few more days. The worst part about getting it made is I probably can't help at all. I stepped over Ruby yesterday while turning and that one step was so painful! First, I went to a Chiropractor, but that didn't help so I ended up in the ER last night. Nothing is broken, but I never thought there was. Got steroids, but they're not helping much. Main transportation at this point is a wheelchair. They wanted to give me a walker, but since my collar bone still hasn't healed, I didn't think I should use it.
These GOLDEN YEARS aren't all they're cracked up.to be.

Old Post 10-23-2022 03:39 AM
RC-Abby
UKC Forum Member

Oops!

Boy was I wrong. That 30 degrees in my last post only took out the volunteer cherry tomatoes. Since then I have had thin ice form in the dog buckets. Now be leave or not I need to pick rip tomatoes today.

My thoughts: These plants are staked up on 4 Ft. X 18 In. field fence cylinders. The plants are so thick and grown together that ground temp moving up thru keeps the freeze off? (very tips of some show freeze damage)

The weeds in the soybeans froze and are dead and dry. Corn that had green leaves show freeze damage. Double crop soybeans got frosted and are drying.

LOL! Mistory! Or maybe God wants me to keep giving away tomatoes? Your thoughts?

Randi

Old Post 10-23-2022 01:47 PM
RC-Abby is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RC-Abby Click here to Send RC-Abby a Private Message Find more posts by RC-Abby Add RC-Abby to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rex Ridge
UKC Forum Member

Neighbors and friends might be praying for more tomatoes 😉

Went back to the ER this AM. Woke up.at 5 AM in horrible pain. Told Chuck I couldn't take it anymore. Different Dr same story, the xrays show nothing is broken. At least, he gave me some pain meds and told me to take Ibuprofen instead of Tylenol. He thinks it's the sciatic nerve. Seeing orthopedic dr on Wed and pulmonogist tomorrow, saw an optometrist today after we left the ER and probably chiropractor on Friday depending what orthopedic dr thinks on Wednesday. I hated to go to the optometrist as much pain as I'm in, but I lost my glasses a couple of weeks ago and this is the quickest I could get in. Same as the pulmonogist, I made the appointment weeks ago.
I use to not even go for a yrly checkup...feeling like I'm really falling apart, kind of pathetic.

Old Post 10-25-2022 04:14 AM
RC-Abby
UKC Forum Member

It Is Spring!!

Just planted peas. Only had 36 seeds in the package. Was told they like cool weather. Ground had a frozen crust this morning. Raked out nice this afternoon so I planted just before dark.

Randi

Old Post 03-22-2023 01:42 AM
Rex Ridge
UKC Forum Member

I tried planting some flower seeds, but our groud is still frozen.
I started physical therapy a couple of weeks ago. I had another episode (sciatica) is what they called it last fall. This year the doctor said I had arthritis in my knee and bursitis in my hip.
Chuck wasn't very happy last fall that I couldn't walk for 2 weeks, but it paid off for him. Since it was during archery season, he couldn't hunt for over a week. I finally told him to go back on our property. By that time, I could get out of bed, just not back in. We have an electric recliner so I told him I would stay in it until he got home if I got up. He came in an hr or so later and said he hit a big one, but couldn't find it. He finally did find it, but we had highs in the 70s so.the meat wasn't good. He reported it as an 18 pt, but when they scored it they scored it as a 16pt. One pt was 7/8" long if there not an inch they don't count them. It scored 169 so it will be in the record book. We have a bunch of does coming in so no garden again this yr for us.
Hope yinz have a great garden season.

Old Post 03-22-2023 02:57 AM
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

Well...my little garden spot got dozed over and a new kennel built and the big dummy hubby had my goodness dirt hauled off!!! Ash and Tyler moved to a new farm and mom is waiting on the neighbor guy to come and work her spot up. Ashton has picked her new garden spot and is patiently awaiting it to be tilled while impatiently awaiting the arrival of their bouncing baby boy. We are all way behind lol! Good thing there isn't much we could get in the ground yet anyway!

"TEAM MAFIA"

RIP

Old Post 03-22-2023 08:16 PM
Nathan Harder
UKC Forum Member

Put new mulch down on the asparagus bed last weekend. Have two spears poking through the dirt already. Put fertilizer down on all the other beds along with calcium. Planted broccoli yesterday. Took a walk in the woods with the dogs. Found two 1.5" grey morels. That was it. Coming this week.

Iraq War Vet 03-04, 05-06
RECON
618-410-3034

Old Post 04-08-2023 03:10 PM
Nathan Harder is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Nathan Harder Click here to Send Nathan Harder a Private Message Click Here to Email Nathan Harder Find more posts by Nathan Harder Add Nathan Harder to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

The neighbor guy got mom's garden spot worked up this week and Tyler finished Ashton's last week. He's been planting all kinds of seeds but we have no idea where the rows are at because one of the pups pulled up the marker stakes 🤣. Let's hope part of this doesn't pop up until after our last frost! They also started an asparagus / strawberry bed. Me I have 3 fence post where my garden once was I'm going to have to get a tractor up here to get my utility poles put where they need to be soon and buy more dirt!

"TEAM MAFIA"

RIP

Last edited by Redneck Mafia on 04-09-2023 at 03:44 AM

Old Post 04-08-2023 07:14 PM
Nathan Harder
UKC Forum Member

Been to wet to get a tractor there?

Glad I waited on trying to get a head start on tomatoes. Supposed to be a good chance of hail tomorrow afternoon. Hopefully the broccoli will make it. About a dozen spears up. Getting ready to grab the first batch.

RECON
618-410-3034

Old Post 04-15-2023 03:25 AM
Nathan Harder is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Nathan Harder Click here to Send Nathan Harder a Private Message Click Here to Email Nathan Harder Find more posts by Nathan Harder Add Nathan Harder to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rex Ridge
UKC Forum Member

Welcome Nathan. I need to check my asparagus. I gave a lot away last year and froze some...thus year, I think I'll freeze more and not give as much away.
Our 40th anniversary was on the 15th, a friend gave us a book about mushroom. Never found a morel, but I keep looking in an old apple Orchard nearby.
Not planning on a garden, but I'm gonna check to see if I can find Milorganite and plant some tomatoes and sunflowers by the barn.

Old Post 04-20-2023 08:19 PM
Nathan Harder
UKC Forum Member

Supposed to be in the mid 20's tonight! There goes the asparagus. The garden will have to wait another week before I touch it. hopefully the broccoli makes it.

RECON
618-410-3034

Old Post 04-22-2023 06:28 AM
Nathan Harder
UKC Forum Member

I didnt find anymore mushrooms yet. I am going to try again this weekend. should still be some around my area coming up. we will see.

RECON
618-410-3034

Old Post 04-22-2023 06:30 AM
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Nathan Harder
I didnt find anymore mushrooms yet. I am going to try again this weekend. should still be some around my area coming up. we will see.

I haven't had time to go but Dalton and his buddy found quite a few. We got some much needed rain and I think more will be popping up around here. Hopefully I can go out this weekend and find more than a bunch of ticks lol!

"TEAM MAFIA"

RIP

Old Post 04-26-2023 05:01 PM
Nathan Harder
UKC Forum Member

ended up finding a good mess last sunday after the rain moved through. we needed it as well. we still need some. the river here is already down so low you can't get the boat on to fish it.

i think i am going to plant the rest of the garden today. been getting plenty of asparagus and broccoli is going good. going to run to the nursery and get some tomatoes, peppers and jalapeņos this morning.

my neighbor has 4 large oak trees he is having cut down. company is going to drop them and put all the wood over at my cutting/splitting area. these are massive oaks. im going to have more wood than i can deal with and bad back this summer!

RECON
618-410-3034

Old Post 04-29-2023 01:52 PM
Rex Ridge
UKC Forum Member

It's been cold and rainy here. I'm trying to get poinsettias started from clippings. I'm sure Chuck hopes they die soon so I get them off the table.
I've seen pictures on FB of people finding tons of morels, but haven't seen where anyone around here has.
Spring gobbler season came in here this AM. 2 gobblers followed a hen through the hay field this evening

Old Post 04-29-2023 11:52 PM
RC-Abby
UKC Forum Member

Warmer?

Well my March 26 post I planted peas. Not good! Only got 3 up. Yesterday we went to local nursery. Got 4 Amish Past tomato plants and 4 green pepper plants. Planted them in the afternoon. Was in 70s and had plenty of moisture. Received 1/2 inch warm rain over night. They sure looked pretty this morning. Dark green on black dirt.

This is the first spell of warm temps. we have had.
Anyone else getting any gardening done?

Randi Bidlack

Old Post 05-08-2023 12:25 AM
yadkinriver
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Rex Ridge
Welcome Nathan. I need to check my asparagus. I gave a lot away last year and froze some...thus year, I think I'll freeze more and not give as much away.
Our 40th anniversary was on the 15th, a friend gave us a book about mushroom. Never found a morel, but I keep looking in an old apple Orchard nearby.
Not planning on a garden, but I'm gonna check to see if I can find Milorganite and plant some tomatoes and sunflowers by the barn.

Was wondering if you ever found Milorganite. Hope you have as much success with it as I have and several friends that have been using it. Finally got all my garden in last week. All I have up now are my beets but got them in early.

Old Post 05-08-2023 05:49 PM
yadkinriver is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkinriver Click here to Send yadkinriver a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkinriver Visit yadkinriver's homepage! Find more posts by yadkinriver Add yadkinriver to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote