UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Off Topic > The Gardening Thread
Pages (18): « First ... « 14 15 [16] 17 18 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Rex Ridge
UKC Forum Member

They've been calling for rain here for the last 4 days. We finally got some today. I talked Chuck into planting sunflowers for me. He kinda went overboard. I saved seeds from some mammoth and some little ones. Not sure what they were called, but one plant had over a dozen flowers on it. Instead of planting my seeds on the edge of his food plot, he bought a bag of sunflower seeds and planted all my seeds plus half the bag and planted the whole food plot in sunflowers.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 05-17-2022 03:00 AM
Rex Ridge is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rex Ridge Click here to Send Rex Ridge a Private Message Find more posts by Rex Ridge Add Rex Ridge to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

RR, that will be beautiful! It will draw even more pollinators to your property too... good for your fruit trees and bushes.

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER PRO SPORT TRUCK WINNER

RIP
*GRNITECH PKC SCH REDNECK MAFIA PKC HALL OF FAME REPRODUCER INDUCTED 2022
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Old Post 05-17-2022 04:35 PM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rex Ridge
UKC Forum Member

Hoping to get some sunflowers. First, we were watching the crows and squirrels in the food plot, now 4 Jake turkeys are in it several times a day.
The blueberries have a lot of blossoms and so do some of the fruit trees.

Old Post 05-21-2022 05:01 AM
Rex Ridge is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rex Ridge Click here to Send Rex Ridge a Private Message Find more posts by Rex Ridge Add Rex Ridge to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CentralTn
UKC Forum Member

Tomato Plants

This is the third year my plants are drying up or dying from the bottopm up.Always had plenty until frost and had a lot canned so i didn't try anything until this year when i changed areas.I put four in different soil from four different locations yet they all have got this stuff.They are not under or over watered,have space,same as i have done for many years.Anyone have any solutions and i had rather not use chemicals as all options i have read advise.Ready to try anything that might help.

Old Post 06-03-2022 08:23 PM
CentralTn is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CentralTn Click here to Send CentralTn a Private Message Find more posts by CentralTn Add CentralTn to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RC-Abby
UKC Forum Member

Re: Tomato Plants

quote:
Originally posted by CentralTn
This is the third year my plants are drying up or dying from the bottopm up.Always had plenty until frost and had a lot canned so i didn't try anything until this year when i changed areas.I put four in different soil from four different locations yet they all have got this stuff.They are not under or over watered,have space,same as i have done for many years.Anyone have any solutions and i had rather not use chemicals as all options i have read advise.Ready to try anything that might help.

Try Epsom Salt. Sprinkle a rounded table spoon full around each plant. Then water in. When planting put a teaspoon full in bottom of hole.

I sprinkle 3 or 4 times a season. Sounds crazy but it works. I do all my plants.

Randi Bidlack

Last edited by RC-Abby on 06-04-2022 at 10:14 AM

Old Post 06-04-2022 03:28 AM
RC-Abby is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RC-Abby Click here to Send RC-Abby a Private Message Find more posts by RC-Abby Add RC-Abby to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rex Ridge
UKC Forum Member

Well it's far from the gardens of yesterday year, but I talked Chuck into helping me plant 4 tomato plants and 4 pepper plants in buckets. The peppers are Big Bertha, the tomatoes weren't labeled. Hopefully, they aren't cherry or grape. We like them, but they're kinda hard to slice for sandwiches.

Old Post 06-06-2022 01:09 AM
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

Re: Tomato Plants

quote:
Originally posted by CentralTn

Could be about 10 different things from fungi to bacteria, pests, improper watering (water at the ground not the top), lack of nutrients, lack of sunlight and even the weather and temperatures with cooler temperatures.
You can make a natural spray from baking soda and a little dish soap mixed with water. This helps with many fungi and blight. Cooper is another natural spray you can buy. For pest you can use neem oil or diatomaceous earth. There are lots of natural fertilizers on the market. Calcium, of course you can use egg shells or make calcium water by soaking egg shells in water for a few days. Phosphorus is another important nutrient for tomatoes. The Epson salts mentioned help add magnesium back to the soil as a micronutrient. It can also aid in photosynthesis.

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER PRO SPORT TRUCK WINNER

RIP
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Old Post 06-06-2022 03:20 AM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Rex Ridge
Well it's far from the gardens of yesterday year, but I talked Chuck into helping me plant 4 tomato plants and 4 pepper plants in buckets. The peppers are Big Bertha, the tomatoes weren't labeled. Hopefully, they aren't cherry or grape. We like them, but they're kinda hard to slice for sandwiches.

Good deal! Stock you a squash plant in a flower bed by the house and you'll have a whole garden!

"TEAM MAFIA"

RIP

Old Post 06-06-2022 03:22 AM
Rex Ridge
UKC Forum Member

I planted some squash seeds along the barn, they were left over and didn't come up. My dad never planted cucumber seeds until June 21st. I could try to get seeds yet, but if they vine out too much, the guy that mows the yard would probably mow over them.
The deer are enjoying the sunflowers 😞 Hope they'll quit if the sunflowers 🌻 get a little bigger.

Old Post 06-16-2022 02:36 AM
Rex Ridge
UKC Forum Member

I forgot to mention how well .my asparagus is doing this yr. I just got some to have for supper tonight, probably have enough to freeze or have it again tomorrow. We've had it several times and I gave some to my son and .my friends.
I was yelling at deer last night until midnight to get out of my sunflowers. I yell at them so often, they don't take me seriously. The dogs don't usually even bark at them anymore and if they do the deer don't pay any attention to them either. Except the other day, when we had Jake tied to an apple tree. A doe came in stomping her foot on one side of the tree and Jake laid still on the other. He finally jumped up and ran at her, but they keep coming in so it didn't bother her too much.

Old Post 06-17-2022 09:17 PM
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

Ash is going to get her first canning lesson tomorrow night. She's been picking green beans the last couple of days. The tomatoes are loaded with green ones but no ripe yet. Mom's picked a few ripe cherry tomatoes and some cucumbers. Everything is looking pretty good but we've been having to do quite a bit of watering. Mother nature has shut off the spicket here lately!

"TEAM MAFIA"

RIP

Old Post 07-01-2022 05:32 AM
Triple K Kennel
UKC Forum Member

Cabbage---Grilled

quote:
Originally posted by Redneck Mafia
I cooked some cabbage on the grill Monday night from my garden. Sliced it in patties then sprinkled it with salt and pepper and drisled with olive oil. Best I can say is I prefer it fried with bacon lol.
The cabbage worms got part of my crop while we were gone to Indiana and some of the broccoli too. I hadn't noticed any before we had left ☹ and I'm a little disappointed they were finally making big enough heads to eat. The chickens will be happy, happy, happy! Saturday I dug up a few potatoes for green beans and new potatoes and my contribution to mom's 4th of July dinner.
Tomatoes are looking good this summer and lots of green ones but no ripe except for the cherries so far.

Never heard of this but think I want to try it......Sounds Great...!!!
How long do you Grill it ?
Tim

Quality, Dependable Coon Lights--Built by a Coonhunter for Coonhunters
==================================
** Superior Lights

** Sunspot Hunting Lights

** Zepp's--Quality Products

** Boss Lights

**Brighteyes Lights

** They Twist it until they start believing it themselves**

Purina Dog Food
** Proven Results **

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Competition Coonhunters and Politicians
** Win anyway you have to & tell everyone what they want to hear **

Old Post 07-02-2022 01:41 PM
Triple K Kennel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Triple K Kennel Click here to Send Triple K Kennel a Private Message Find more posts by Triple K Kennel Add Triple K Kennel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rex Ridge
UKC Forum Member

Re: Cabbage---Grilled

quote:
Originally posted by Triple K Kennel
Never heard of this but think I want to try it......Sounds Great...!!!
How long do you Grill it ?
Tim

Tim, if you like garlic and parmesan cheese, sprinkle that over it.

Old Post 07-02-2022 03:03 PM
Rex Ridge
UKC Forum Member

We finally got a decent rain last night .6". I've been watering my tomato and pepper plants every couple of days. I finally have some green tomatoes, pretty sure they're not cherry or grape, but they're not very big yet. Blueberries aren't doing much, hopefully, this rain will help them. I've been able to pick them by this time in previous yrs to enter in the local fair.
The deer are coming into the orchard to eat all the fallen apples and the buggers are still munchin my sunflowers and daisies.

Hope everyone has a safe and happy 4th of July!

Old Post 07-02-2022 03:11 PM
Triple K Kennel
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Cabbage---Grilled

quote:

I Love Both....!!
Will definitely give this a try.
Thanks
Tim

** Superior Lights

** Boss Lights

**Brighteyes Lights

Purina Dog Food
** Proven Results **

Old Post 07-02-2022 08:04 PM
Triple K Kennel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Triple K Kennel Click here to Send Triple K Kennel a Private Message Find more posts by Triple K Kennel Add Triple K Kennel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Triple K Kennel
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Cabbage---Grilled

quote:

Going to try this in a few days.......👍👍
Tim

** Superior Lights

** Boss Lights

**Brighteyes Lights

Purina Dog Food
** Proven Results **

Old Post 07-05-2022 10:44 PM
Rex Ridge
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: Cabbage---Grilled

quote:
Originally posted by Triple K Kennel
Going to try this in a few days.......👍👍
Tim

Let us know how you like it. I do the same with asparagus.

Old Post 07-08-2022 04:39 AM
Triple K Kennel
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Cabbage---Grilled

quote:
Let us know how you like it. I do the same with asparagus.

I sure will let you how I like it & I think I will.
I have Grilled Asparagus on my Blackstone Grill before & it turned out Delicious......!!!
Tim

** Superior Lights

** Boss Lights

**Brighteyes Lights

Purina Dog Food
** Proven Results **

Old Post 07-08-2022 12:46 PM
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

Last night we fried up some green tomatoes and squash to have with dinner.
Been picking quite a few ripe tomatoes but not enough at a time to can so we've been chunking them up in freezer bags. The plants are loaded so it won't be long until canning time.
It is HOT here and DRY!

"TEAM MAFIA"

RIP

Old Post 07-18-2022 06:23 PM
Rex Ridge
UKC Forum Member

Hot and dry here, too. My tomatoes aren't doing very well, but the peppers look good. The deer ate all our sunflowers except a couple by the house and a few by the barn. They nibbled on a few by the barn, but didn't get all of them. The big patch (about a 1/4 acre is GONE!! They liked them so well Chuck is going to plant the little darlins more. He has 5 places plowed up to plant different things for them.

Old Post 07-22-2022 01:16 AM
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

Peppers always thrive in the heat! Our okra seems to be loving it too.
It sounds like if he keeps planting for the deer you can fill your freezer and never have to leave the porch 😂

"TEAM MAFIA"

RIP

Old Post 07-22-2022 07:34 AM
Rex Ridge
UKC Forum Member

We're only seeing does and fawns, he likes to hunt bucks in the Allegheny Nation Forest. Last yr, was one of the first time in yrs he didn't get a buck in regular archery season so he did shoot a backyard doe the last week of late archery season. I got a doe in rifle season. With just the 2 of us, 2 deer is enough. We might have to invite some friends to my tree stand to get a few more. The always seem to disappear a week or 2 before season. I don't know how they know!!

Old Post 07-22-2022 05:56 PM
yadkinriver
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Hot and dry here, too. My tomatoes aren't doing very well, but the peppers look good. The deer ate all our sunflowers except a couple by the house and a few by the barn. They nibbled on a few by the barn, but didn't get all of them. The big patch (about a 1/4 acre is GONE!! They liked them so well Chuck is going to plant the little darlins more. He has 5 places plowed up to plant different things for them.
Rex Ridge There is something that is gaining popularity around here to keep deer out of gardens. Milorganite: a slow release organit fertilize 6-4-0. After seeing what it's made of you may not want it under your plants but you can put it around your garden and it works. I use it and know several that do and it works for everyone so far. It was recommended to me by an agricultural agent. You may want to try it.

Old Post 07-22-2022 06:15 PM
yadkinriver is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkinriver Click here to Send yadkinriver a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkinriver Visit yadkinriver's homepage! Find more posts by yadkinriver Add yadkinriver to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rex Ridge
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by yadkinriver
Rex Ridge There is something that is gaining popularity around here to keep deer out of gardens. Milorganite: a slow release organit fertilize 6-4-0. After seeing what it's made of you may not want it under your plants but you can put it around your garden and it works. I use it and know several that do and it works for everyone so far. It was recommended to me by an agricultural agent. You may want to try it.

Thanks for the info. I'll check it out.

Old Post 07-22-2022 07:07 PM
sleepy head
UKC Forum Member

Something ate the top 1/4 of all my bell pepper plants, I would not of thought critters would find them tasty

Old Post 07-23-2022 01:08 PM
sleepy head is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sleepy head Click here to Send sleepy head a Private Message Find more posts by sleepy head Add sleepy head to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote