UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Breeds > Treeing Walkers > Big Money
Pages (3): « 1 [2] 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Sfox91
UKC Forum Member

Back in the day my grandpa won a lot of money at hunts and water races, not $6500 entries but it’s nature of the beast. Prices go up, competitive nature goes up

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 05-20-2020 03:03 PM
Sfox91 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sfox91 Click here to Send Sfox91 a Private Message Click Here to Email Sfox91 Find more posts by Sfox91 Add Sfox91 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Mr Bruce, I think they call it jealousy. "If I can't do it, no one should be able to".

Old Post 05-20-2020 04:45 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkinriver
UKC Forum Member

Bruce and Richard

If it's the desire in ones heart or out of jealousy then you must have deep enough pockets to enter the 6500$ entry fee hunt. If either or both care to enter I'll pull for ya all the way. I got my education years ago trying to run with the big dogs.

Old Post 05-20-2020 08:49 PM
yadkinriver is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkinriver Click here to Send yadkinriver a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkinriver Visit yadkinriver's homepage! Find more posts by yadkinriver Add yadkinriver to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Running with the big dogs is definitely an education. You have to have the ability to get out in front occasionally. There is a difference between running with the big dogs and chasing the big dogs. Maybe that is part of the education. And running with the big dogs is not that easy. It takes a whole lot of effort and time. You sure have to do your homework. That is something else you will learn. It takes a lot more than just money. A lot of people think that you just need a pocketful of money, go out and buy a high priced dog and you are ready to go.

Last edited by Richard Lambert on 05-20-2020 at 10:45 PM

Old Post 05-20-2020 10:38 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ridgerunner1988
UKC Forum Member

JMO

JMO but I think a lot of these big time comp hunters are pushing a lot of the pleasure hunters out of the game. With the price of dogs now days it's making it hard for a man to afford a dog. When someone pays 5 or even 12000 dollars for a dog that Jack's all the prices up on dogs and makes it hard on the regular working man that's wanting to do what he loves to do for the love of the sport and the love of hearing a dog run a track and hammer down on a tree, who cant afford to pay that for a dog. JMO

Old Post 05-21-2020 12:03 AM
Ridgerunner1988 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ridgerunner1988 Click here to Send Ridgerunner1988 a Private Message Find more posts by Ridgerunner1988 Add Ridgerunner1988 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
delta slough
UKC Forum Member

Where was the truck hunt, which kennel and who won? Thanks Jr.Steelman

Old Post 05-21-2020 12:05 AM
delta slough is offline Click Here to See the Profile for delta slough Find more posts by delta slough Add delta slough to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkinriver
UKC Forum Member

Richard you hit the nail on the head. It goes a lot deeper than most expect. Sure helps to be in the click of things.

Old Post 05-21-2020 12:08 AM
yadkinriver is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkinriver Click here to Send yadkinriver a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkinriver Visit yadkinriver's homepage! Find more posts by yadkinriver Add yadkinriver to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

Re: JMO

quote:
Originally posted by Ridgerunner1988
JMO but I think a lot of these big time comp hunters are pushing a lot of the pleasure hunters out of the game. With the price of dogs now days it's making it hard for a man to afford a dog. When someone pays 5 or even 12000 dollars for a dog that Jack's all the prices up on dogs and makes it hard on the regular working man that's wanting to do what he loves to do for the love of the sport and the love of hearing a dog run a track and hammer down on a tree, who cant afford to pay that for a dog. JMO

Like what has been stated in this post, buy what you can afford. But the hound prices are just now getting to be equivalent to bird dogs. Now don't get me wrong there's plenty of dogs for sale that are priced reasonable and unreasonable. But if you're the seller of a dog with a bunch of talent. Why in the world would you sell that dog dirt cheap? Especially if you spent months in the woods hunting your rear off. Maybe I'm not looking at it correctly. If you only want to spend $300 but want a world champ, buy pups and put the time in them. Or see if you can take a cull and turn it into a decent dog.

FYI price some other working and sporting dogs. You'd be hard pressed to get a good bred pointer pup for less than $1500. Most sell for $2000 if they've got some decent genetics. And there's some that sell for 5 figures as 8 week old pups.

And
Partners on a few common trashy young dogs

Gone but not forgotten

GrNtCh, PKC Ch Hillbilly Bildo
Pr Broken Oaks Wild Blue Gypsy

Old Post 05-21-2020 01:10 AM
novicane65 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for novicane65 Click here to Send novicane65 a Private Message Click Here to Email novicane65 Find more posts by novicane65 Add novicane65 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

The amount of money spent in this sport has very little to do with the outcome one will have. A lot of money can be flopped down for a dog or for an entry fee. Money guarantees nothing. Your partnership with the dog. Your knowledge what a dog is suppose to do. Your knowledge of the rules. Handling situations in a mature fashion. All come together to get a win slip. In any size hunt. Can anyone try and convince me it is that hard to tree a coon. The difficulty comes from spending enough time with a dog that he knows your every move and you know his. If you know what a dog should do and you know what your dog is doing. You should understand if you can win a hunt or not. If you can. Then pay an entry fee you can afford and have fun. Or just turn the dog loose and tree some coon.

Old Post 05-21-2020 01:55 AM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Josh Michaelis
UKC Forum Member

Re: JMO

quote:
Originally posted by Ridgerunner1988

These guys aren't looking for dogs that just run a track and tree a coon. A dog that can tree a coon alone is still pretty cheap, and so are puppies.

Everybody hates the price of dogs until they go to sell one.

Old Post 05-21-2020 01:56 AM
Josh Michaelis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Josh Michaelis Click here to Send Josh Michaelis a Private Message Click Here to Email Josh Michaelis Find more posts by Josh Michaelis Add Josh Michaelis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

If you don’t want to pay the high price...then there are a few options...buy a few high quality pups...find a well bred older gyp and breed her to a related high powered dog and you can have fun testing and culling down to three Or 4 pups...test them and again cull down from there at an older age...culling doesn’t mean they won’t be any good...just means you are attempting to select the very best...

Old Post 05-21-2020 01:58 AM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

It would be hard to fetch a huge price nowadays for a dog that’s not a proven winner in top competition. A handler can only do so much. And to be a top winner the handler is not going to be home much with the family.

Tar

Old Post 05-21-2020 02:19 AM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Dog prices

We all want to buy as cheap as we can, that's a no brainer, but truth is as some have already stated it takes a lot of time and effort to produce a really nice coon dog. If someone counted their time at a reasonable amount per hour and the other costs like wear and tear on hunting trucks, equipment, etc, , a good dog would be priced so high that very few could afford them. Coon dogs are a bargain price considering just how much is invested into making a coon dog. I always buy a trained dog, way cheaper that training one myself and if I don't like the dog, then I don't buy it and have not wasted several years training a dog that does not suit me. I can tell anyone that coon hunting is NOT a sport for making money, it better be fun you are seeking and you better have a job if you plan on making a living. If you can not afford a top coon dog, get a dog that's started and finish it yourself. Dave

Old Post 05-21-2020 02:23 AM
Dave Richards is online now Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rick St.Clair
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by delta slough
Where was the truck hunt, which kennel and who won? Thanks Jr.Steelman

Wasn't a hunt put on by kennel club, unsanctioned. Believe Engle and Maynard put the hunt together in Ohio. Michael Ward a the Captain American dog won.

Old Post 05-21-2020 02:29 AM
Rick St.Clair is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rick St.Clair Click here to Send Rick St.Clair a Private Message Click Here to Email Rick St.Clair Find more posts by Rick St.Clair Add Rick St.Clair to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

If your not hunting a high percentage winner those high profile dog men will never dial your number.

Tar

Old Post 05-21-2020 02:47 AM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ridgerunner1988
UKC Forum Member

You all make good points I guess I'm not lookin at the big picture only the dollar signs when I see the price of a dog. All I was sayin is when I see a lot of ole timers around here a lot have had to quit because they say they cant afford to pay the price for a dog already goin. But I do understand the fact of how much is put into a dog to train him, I've trained a few myself and it's no easy task. I'm just sayin when i sale a dog i try to price him for the working man because i feel I'm helping someone out by doin that but that's just me and everyone is entitled to there own opinions and i have had a couple champion dogs but if i put that kind of time in a dog then he isnt for sale. But I can understand Salinger a dog for a higher price that is a higher caliber of dog I wouldn't sale a champion dog for cheap either so my apologies.

Old Post 05-21-2020 03:00 AM
Ridgerunner1988 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ridgerunner1988 Click here to Send Ridgerunner1988 a Private Message Find more posts by Ridgerunner1988 Add Ridgerunner1988 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Ridgerunner1988

No apologies needed my friend, no one wants to pay a high price for anything. I remember buying new 4wheel drive trucks for under 7K, today you are looking at at least 30K, dog food under 10 dollars 50 pound now around 30 dollars 40 pound. Prices have gone crazy, but I remember minimum wage at just over a dollar, so I guess things are still in proportion somewhat. Look at beef and pork prices today, going through the roof. I am sure glad most coon hunters just enjoy coon hunting and that you can still buy a decent dog at a bargain price. If a hunter considered the actual amount of time spent training a pup to a decent dog stage, the price would be unreal. Think around 200 plus nights a year 3 to 4 hours minimum a night times 3 to 4 years for a decent trained dog, that's 600 to 800 hours per year times 3 to 4 years equals minimum 1800 hours up to 3200 hours at say 10.00 ( that's cheap) 18K to 32K just in labor. Man, I am so glad that these hunters don't really count their time when they price a dog, as I always buy mine. Maybe a bad idea to post this information for ALL to see just how lucky we really got with dog prices these days, guys think about all the fun you have training these dogs, wink, wink. Dave

Old Post 05-21-2020 03:29 AM
Dave Richards is online now Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

If you got $6,500 to loose by all means go for it. But no matter how much you paid for your dog or how good it is the breaks you can’t control will make you loose it. It might just be me but I don’t see these high stakes hunts promoting coonhunting the little guys paying the weekly fees at the small hunts have always paid the bills and they always will.

Tar

Old Post 05-21-2020 12:14 PM
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Tar look at stock car racing. There are small dirt tracks all around the country that have races about every week depending on what part of the country you are in and weather conditions. Stock car racing has the same conditions that coon hunting has. There are several different styles of tracks. There are several different styles of cars. There are several races that have cars that are not stock cars but Indy cars, midget racers and many more. A mix bag of cars. Some look at NASCAR as the elite. The top of the game. But like coonhunting there are hundreds of thousands playing the game on some level. They all love the same thing and they all promote it in their own way. Just like coon hunting. A lot of the NASCAR drivers are at the smaller races all over the country during the week. Everytime anyone goes racing at a Race Track of any kind they are promoting the sport. Just like coon hunting. It is promoted from the local level all the way to a level that it cost big bucks to play.

Just because some Man has worked hard for the money he has earned. Then chooses to spend it with his wife's permission on a sport he loves. Doesn't make it wrong. Yes some spend it foolishly but the cash runs out fast and they come to their senses. They learn it is a lot more about how they do something than what they spend on doing something. Then the guys that have the determination and drive. Worked hard for their money. Have to listen to people saying it is all about the money they have. Giving them no credit for what they know. No credit for their physical ability to follow a coonhound where ever it goes, night after night. No credit for driving all over the country to do something they love.
There is a hunt with an entry fee that works for every coon hunter out there. If hunts are not your thing. There still is a block of woods to tree a coon in with no entry fee needed. But from the guy that trees one in his backyard to the man that travels the country. There is a common thread that should be appreciated. Not cut apart because the next man doesn't hunt like you do.

Old Post 05-21-2020 12:50 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Bruce I ain’t knocking it I like to watch the play by plays of those big hunts. In the past I spent my fair share on coonhunting I just got to the point it’s not a priority anymore I am content going pleasure hunting a hunt once in a while and fishing a lot lol.

But I ask you this question ? Why are you promoting a large entry hunt on a kc board that don’t have those hunts and a high percentage of their customers don’t have the money to play at that level ? It would seem more appropriate to me if you pumped it up over there. That comes from a guy that sets behind that moh table at least 8 hrs at a time fairly often for free trying to make this thing work.

I still love you brouther but don’t understand.

Tar

Old Post 05-21-2020 01:06 PM
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

I am promoting coon hunting at any and all levels is the first reason. Second is you started the post about big money hunts on this site. You stated in your first post that the sport growing beyond where many think it would go. Makes old coon hunters feel left out or left behind. I am just trying to explain from an old coon hunters point of view that isn't the case for all of us. I am left behind because of my hearing, and ability to get around the woods. That is a personal thing. Not something another coon hunter or Organization is doing to me. That my friend is what age does for you. But it doesn't put a damper on my appreciation and joy to see what is going on in the coon hound world at all levels. It doesn't make me want to throw stones at something I physically can't do or perhaps don't want to spend that amount of money and time doing.

If you get your panties in a wad and feel left behind because of the growth of others doing the same thing you're doing. Just at a different level. Keep living with with that attitude and you're going to die a bitter old man.

Old Post 05-21-2020 01:37 PM
yadkintar
Banned

Re: .

quote:
Originally posted by Bruce m. Conkey
I am promoting coon hunting at any and all levels is the first reason. Second is you started the post about big money hunts on this site. You stated in your first post that the sport growing beyond where many think it would go. Makes old coon hunters feel left out or left behind. I am just trying to explain from an old coon hunters point of view that isn't the case for all of us. I am left behind because of my hearing, and ability to get around the woods. That is a personal thing. Not something another coon hunter or Organization is doing to me. That my friend is what age does for you. But it doesn't put a damper on my appreciation and joy to see what is going on in the coon hound world at all levels. It doesn't make me want to throw stones at something I physically can't do or perhaps don't want to spend that amount of money and time doing.

If you get your panties in a wad and feel left behind because of the growth of others doing the same thing you're doing. Just at a different level. Keep living with with that attitude and you're going to die a bitter old man.

You better go back and look richard started this thread lol.

Tar

Old Post 05-21-2020 01:46 PM
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

I can't blame Richard. He hunts redbones and has enough trouble already.

Well then I need to ask you a question. What side of the fence are you on. For those hunts or against those hunts. If you're for promotion of the sport at all levels. I owe you an apology. If your with Richards statement of being felt left behind because of Physical or Cash Flow reasons. I stand by my statement.

Old Post 05-21-2020 01:59 PM
yadkinriver
UKC Forum Member

Tar asked me to post for him since he's driving to work. Said he's alright and comfortable with where he's at and he likes to read hunt results no matter what.

Old Post 05-21-2020 02:10 PM
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Thanks for the clarification. I have been dreaming of entering a dog in one of those hunts and wanted Tar to handle for me. I was overwhelmed that my dream was evaporating before my eyes. I see now it is Richard that won't be handling the dog.

Old Post 05-21-2020 02:32 PM