UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > !!!---Any Coonhunters using the Garmin Pro 550 Plus ?---!!!
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Triple K Kennel
UKC Forum Member

!!!---Any Coonhunters using the Garmin Pro 550 Plus ?---!!!

Just wondering if any of you are using the Pro 550 Plus when running your Hounds & what you think of it ?
I have always thought that Garmin Tracking Systems had too much junk on them and this 550 Pro caught my eye. I don't needs Maps, I don't need to see roads, I dont need to Track my Buddy's dog.........I just need to see what direction my dog is & how far, that's it. I like it to be simple.
I watched several videos & most said the range is right there with the Alpha.
From what I can tell it's a reliable system & very simple.
Any feedback would be very appreciated.

I do have an Email to one of the Suppliers out West & hopefully I will hear back.
Thanks
Tim

Quality, Dependable Coon Lights--Built by a Coonhunter for Coonhunters
==================================
** Superior Lights

** Sunspot Hunting Lights

** Zepp's--Quality Products

** Boss Lights

**Brighteyes Lights

** They Twist it until they start believing it themselves**

Purina Dog Food
** Proven Results **

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Competition Coonhunters and Politicians
** Win anyway you have to & tell everyone what they want to hear **

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 11-28-2022 01:22 PM
Triple K Kennel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Triple K Kennel Click here to Send Triple K Kennel a Private Message Find more posts by Triple K Kennel Add Triple K Kennel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Driftwoodblue
UKC Forum Member

Garmin Pro 550 plus

I have had mine a bit over 2 years I like it a lot.not as complicated as the Astros for an old guy to understand!!!
It will show you the direction and distance without all the clutter that the Astro has. it has a good electric stimulation along with a TONE... when you condition the dog to the tone before stimulation most of the problems will be cured with the tone.

for some folks they would not be happy with the number of collars it handles-- 3-- but when I am hunting alone or any other time that is enough to handle.

BE AWARE OF THIS--- I have had several times I got back to the pickup and tries to find where a certain dog was .. got funny readings.. stepped away from it and got pinpoint location!

I traded my old Astro with Collars to Lion Country Supply. for mine
the Dogtra pathfinder is not as expensive BUT there is way too much of a learning curve for me.

Old Post 11-29-2022 02:31 PM
Driftwoodblue is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Driftwoodblue Click here to Send Driftwoodblue a Private Message Find more posts by Driftwoodblue Add Driftwoodblue to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Triple K Kennel
UKC Forum Member

Re: Garmin Pro 550 plus

quote:
Originally posted by Driftwoodblue
I have had mine a bit over 2 years I like it a lot.not as complicated as the Astros for an old guy to understand!!!
It will show you the direction and distance without all the clutter that the Astro has. it has a good electric stimulation along with a TONE... when you condition the dog to the tone before stimulation most of the problems will be cured with the tone.

for some folks they would not be happy with the number of collars it handles-- 3-- but when I am hunting alone or any other time that is enough to handle.

BE AWARE OF THIS--- I have had several times I got back to the pickup and tries to find where a certain dog was .. got funny readings.. stepped away from it and got pinpoint location!

I traded my old Astro with Collars to Lion Country Supply. for mine
the Dogtra pathfinder is not as expensive BUT there is way too much of a learning curve for me.

This is exactly the kind of info I am looking for.
Only able to Track/Train 3 dogs isn't a problem , only Hunt 1 dog at a time anyways.....so that's perfect.
The Astro, Alpha & Dogtra do have too much clutter & junk for me.
Thank you
Tim

** Superior Lights

** Boss Lights

**Brighteyes Lights

Purina Dog Food
** Proven Results **

Old Post 11-29-2022 08:45 PM
Triple K Kennel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Triple K Kennel Click here to Send Triple K Kennel a Private Message Find more posts by Triple K Kennel Add Triple K Kennel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Granular
UKC Forum Member

I use one on my English pointer for quail and pheasant hunting. I like the simplicity compared to the Alpha that I used before.

Last edited by Granular on 11-30-2022 at 02:09 AM

Old Post 11-30-2022 01:53 AM
Granular is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Granular Click here to Send Granular a Private Message Find more posts by Granular Add Granular to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

This sounds like a nice gadget, but I like maps so I'll know where roads and rivers are.

Old Post 11-30-2022 03:18 PM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by shadinc
This sounds like a nice gadget, but I like maps so I'll know where roads and rivers are.

I agree. With maps I don't just know how far and what direction but where he is.

Old Post 11-30-2022 04:18 PM
Preacher Tom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Preacher Tom Click here to Send Preacher Tom a Private Message Click Here to Email Preacher Tom Find more posts by Preacher Tom Add Preacher Tom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Granular
UKC Forum Member

Agreed lack of maps would be the main limitation using it on hounds hunting in unfamiliar territory.

I do all my quail/pheasant hunting on land I own so not an issue.

Old Post 11-30-2022 05:25 PM
Granular is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Granular Click here to Send Granular a Private Message Find more posts by Granular Add Granular to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Triple K Kennel
UKC Forum Member

Maps

quote:
Originally posted by shadinc

Not an issue for me......the area's I hunt I pretty much know how far the roads etc. are & just need to know what direction my dog is.

Tim

** Superior Lights

** Boss Lights

**Brighteyes Lights

Purina Dog Food
** Proven Results **

Old Post 11-30-2022 07:49 PM
Black Ash Bawl
UKC Forum Member

range

not comparable Gun supply states 2+ miles on the 550 . Most tracking collars are at least double that

Old Post 12-01-2022 08:29 AM
Black Ash Bawl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Black Ash Bawl Click here to Send Black Ash Bawl a Private Message Find more posts by Black Ash Bawl Add Black Ash Bawl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Triple K Kennel
UKC Forum Member

Re: range

quote:
Originally posted by Black Ash Bawl
not comparable Gun supply states 2+ miles on the 550 . Most tracking collars are at least double that

Lion Country & Double U told me that the Tracking Range is right there with the Alpha and the Shocking part was right about 2 miles, depending on Terrain etc.
If it gets 2 miles on Tracking or Training then I would be Very Happy......Never had my Garmin 320 track over 1.5 miles even though it's advertised at 9 mile ( no way )
Tim

** Superior Lights

** Boss Lights

**Brighteyes Lights

Purina Dog Food
** Proven Results **

Old Post 12-01-2022 10:03 AM
joseph robinson
UKC Forum Member

It's pretty nice to be able to mark the truck location with the Astro.
I get turned around, especially on unfamiliar ground. I'd miss that for sure.

Old Post 12-01-2022 08:28 PM
joseph robinson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for joseph robinson Click here to Send joseph robinson a Private Message Find more posts by joseph robinson Add joseph robinson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Triple K Kennel
UKC Forum Member

Truck Marking

quote:
Originally posted by joseph robinson
It's pretty nice to be able to mark the truck location with the Astro.
I get turned around, especially on unfamiliar ground. I'd miss that for sure.

I use a Bushnell Backtracker for that and it works perfectly & much simpler to use.
Tim

** Superior Lights

** Boss Lights

**Brighteyes Lights

Purina Dog Food
** Proven Results **

Old Post 12-01-2022 08:50 PM
heckler
UKC Forum Member

I bought one but haven’t used it yet. I got it for the same reasons. The bonus is that Garmin has an app for my phone and I can pair up by Bluetooth and still have maps and location and all that stuff. I never had nothing but a quick track. Looking at dogs on a screen seemed like it would take away from the hunt and my skills

Last edited by heckler on 12-02-2022 at 12:12 AM

Old Post 12-02-2022 12:09 AM
heckler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for heckler Click here to Send heckler a Private Message Find more posts by heckler Add heckler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Triple K Kennel
UKC Forum Member

550+

quote:
Originally posted by heckler
I bought one but haven’t used it yet. I got it for the same reasons. The bonus is that Garmin has an app for my phone and I can pair up by Bluetooth and still have maps and location and all that stuff. I never had nothing but a quick track. Looking at dogs on a screen seemed like it would take away from the hunt and my skills

Yep.....I agree that people seem to want to be glued the their Garmin Screen.
I am considering this System or the Garmin Alpha 10.....leaning more towards the 550+ because of the Simplicity of it, I can have the Garmin Explorer App on my phone should I need a Map & I have a Bushnell Back Track to Mark the Trucks location & get me back to it.
Thanks
Tim

** Superior Lights

** Boss Lights

**Brighteyes Lights

Purina Dog Food
** Proven Results **

Old Post 01-16-2023 12:07 PM