UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Question, dog behavior
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
tstroud
UKC Forum Member

Question, dog behavior

I have a 2 year old dog that I just got and have been hunting for a few weeks now. He had been up for a couple months and I've been trying to knock the rust off for the last couple of weeks. He's been doing better. Normal issues, beating around on a track too much occasionally, but ends up with the meat and has generally looked pretty good.

Last night on my first drop he took off like a rocket, got off to about 500 yards and opened up, ran it around for another 10 minutes or so, then my tracking system just showed him stop moving, he wasn't treeing, he wasn't barking anymore. I thought his tracking collar might have actually fallen off. I waited a few more minutes and walked in to him. When I got to him he was just standing frozen with his tail sort of tucked, looked like a statue. I was very confused and ended up walking him back to the truck. Went up the road a bit and cast him again. He took off great, beat around on a track for longer than I wanted but eventually treed and had the coon.

My question is what could have made him lock up like that? He didn't seem to be hurt or anything. Almost seemed scared, any ideas?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 04-22-2019 06:45 AM
tstroud is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tstroud Click here to Send tstroud a Private Message Click Here to Email tstroud Find more posts by tstroud Add tstroud to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
chaz2012
Banned

Snake

Charlie Portwood Jr.

Old Post 04-22-2019 10:20 AM
chaz2012 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for chaz2012 Click here to Send chaz2012 a Private Message Click Here to Email chaz2012 Find more posts by chaz2012 Add chaz2012 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MUSKY
UKC Forum Member

Is it a English dog, I know of a certain line of them that has s bad habit of silent Garmin treeing, like they are waiting for who knows what and they are terrible bad about being ambushers that can’t run a track to save there a$$!

Home of:
A couple old plugs

Old Post 04-22-2019 11:16 AM
MUSKY is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MUSKY Click here to Send MUSKY a Private Message Click Here to Email MUSKY Find more posts by MUSKY Add MUSKY to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ghost14
UKC Forum Member

I’ve seen quite a few that were never taught anything and then dumped with a tt15 collar on and the “trainers” went to “training” on them. Some of them would freeze up and them poor dummies would have to walk in and get them! The only dogs I’ve ever seen freeze like that have been tri-tronics into it.

Old Post 04-22-2019 01:39 PM
Ghost14 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ghost14 Click here to Send Ghost14 a Private Message Click Here to Email Ghost14 Find more posts by Ghost14 Add Ghost14 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tstroud
UKC Forum Member

2 year old Walker Male. I don't use a shock collar but that could've been it. I don't know how he was handled before I got him. That's the only time anything off has happened so far. Thanks for the replies

Old Post 04-22-2019 04:25 PM
tstroud is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tstroud Click here to Send tstroud a Private Message Click Here to Email tstroud Find more posts by tstroud Add tstroud to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
natnicegg
UKC Forum Member

I had a German Shorthair that I used to show and he would do this. Turned out to be siezures.

Old Post 04-22-2019 05:06 PM
natnicegg is offline Click Here to See the Profile for natnicegg Click here to Send natnicegg a Private Message Click Here to Email natnicegg Find more posts by natnicegg Add natnicegg to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bearhunter747
UKC Forum Member

If you are using a alpha make sure you don’t have boundaries set up it could be shocking the dog by accident! Just a thought

Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid! (John Wayne)

Old Post 04-22-2019 06:07 PM
bearhunter747 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bearhunter747 Click here to Send bearhunter747 a Private Message Find more posts by bearhunter747 Add bearhunter747 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Bear hunter makes an excellent point. I would expect the dog somehow received a shock. Or thought it did.

Ghost 14 also eluded to it.

I would put the collar on the dog in the yard or where can monitor him and see how things work out. Dogs that have been shocked using improper methods can at times start the behavior that caused them to get shocked and in their mind by feeling the just the prongs. Think the are getting shocked. If you see this again you might want to take the prongs out and see what happens.

Last edited by Bruce m. Conkey on 04-22-2019 at 06:35 PM

Old Post 04-22-2019 06:32 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
joey
UKC Forum Member

I've seen dogs do this that were shocked on junk. Run it for a little while and then come to their senses and just sit there like they are waiting on what happens next.

http://www.sunspotlights.com/
When brightness matters!!

Home Of:
PKC Ch, Grch Grnch 2008 Tx state champion They call me Crazy Betty

PKC SCh CH Grnch They call me Howler too

Old Post 04-22-2019 10:27 PM
joey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for joey Click here to Send joey a Private Message Find more posts by joey Add joey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tstroud
UKC Forum Member

Thank you guys for the input. All good ideas. I was thinking the same about maybe he started on some off game and realized he had messed up. I haven't shocked him but the guy that handled him before I bought him said he didnt do well with the contacts on the tt15 collars. I use a pathfinder and had removed the contacts but maybe something clicked from his past.

Old Post 04-22-2019 10:39 PM