UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Where have all the good coon treeing dogs gone ?
Pages (7): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
ant12
UKC Forum Member

good ones

Oh there are PLENTY good ones still out there you must be messing with some of the sorry lines. Believe me there are plenty of all grand latest and greatest that are not worth a bullet. But there are plenty good lines and reproducers out there. You want one line breed to any bitch get some BONE, you will be fine. I have one out of Bone and BACKWOODS BARBIE and i have turned down 2500.00 for him when he was six months old, it would take more than 10,000.00 to buy him now. COONDOG, HONEST HONEST first strike and has the coon. GET SOME BONE, i recently sold a six month old pup from bone and a skuna river fred bitch for 1500.00. I have a pup out of BACKWOODS BARBIE and Stylish PJ coondog. They are out there must get on the right bloodlines.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 03-24-2015 12:42 AM
ant12 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ant12 Click here to Send ant12 a Private Message Click Here to Email ant12 Visit ant12's homepage! Find more posts by ant12 Add ant12 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jason Baldwin
UKC Forum Member

Re: jmo

quote:
Originally posted by hillbilly56
the older blood was way better about makeing sure there was a coon in the tree where todays dogs have so much tree instink bred into them they don't check they smell alittle scent on a sapling the lock up right there not all but a high percentage

Exactly and some people don't care if a dog slick trees 50% of the time it trees. The best dog I ever owned rarely missed but she had other faults most other hunters wouldn't put up with they would give her away or shoot her.

Old Post 03-24-2015 12:48 AM
Jason Baldwin is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jason Baldwin Click here to Send Jason Baldwin a Private Message Find more posts by Jason Baldwin Add Jason Baldwin to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Bred my grch ntch female to bone one Grntch two ntchs one with two first places best cross on her so far !

Old Post 03-24-2015 12:48 AM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
John Carroll
UKC Forum Member

Re: jmo

quote:
Originally posted by hillbilly56
the older blood was way better about makeing sure there was a coon in the tree where todays dogs have so much tree instink bred into them they don't check they smell alittle scent on a sapling the lock up right there not all but a high percentage

I am a fanatic about accuracy.

I won't keep one that misses much.

I agree that we had less trouble with slick treers back in the day.

We also waited until they were two or three years old for some of them to make solid tree dogs.

Old Post 03-24-2015 12:51 AM
John Carroll is offline Click Here to See the Profile for John Carroll Click here to Send John Carroll a Private Message Click Here to Email John Carroll Find more posts by John Carroll Add John Carroll to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GA DAWG
UKC Forum Member

Id like to see some of these old super coon dogs go. My feist prolly tree more coon

Old Post 03-24-2015 01:16 AM
GA DAWG is offline Click Here to See the Profile for GA DAWG Click here to Send GA DAWG a Private Message Click Here to Email GA DAWG Find more posts by GA DAWG Add GA DAWG to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rthompson
UKC Forum Member

Re: good ones

quote:
Originally posted by ant12
Oh there are PLENTY good ones still out there you must be messing with some of the sorry lines. Believe me there are plenty of all grand latest and greatest that are not worth a bullet. But there are plenty good lines and reproducers out there. You want one line breed to any bitch get some BONE, you will be fine. I have one out of Bone and BACKWOODS BARBIE and i have turned down 2500.00 for him when he was six months old, it would take more than 10,000.00 to buy him now. COONDOG, HONEST HONEST first strike and has the coon. GET SOME BONE, i recently sold a six month old pup from bone and a skuna river fred bitch for 1500.00. I have a pup out of BACKWOODS BARBIE and Stylish PJ coondog. They are out there must get on the right bloodlines.
mine is alittermate. great cross mine is NOT for sale turned down 4 grand at ayr. old.

Old Post 03-24-2015 01:18 AM
rthompson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rthompson Click here to Send rthompson a Private Message Click Here to Email rthompson Find more posts by rthompson Add rthompson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hillbilly56
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: jmo

quote:
Originally posted by John Carroll
I am a fanatic about accuracy.

I won't keep one that misses much.

I agree that we had less trouble with slick treers back in the day.

We also waited until they were two or three years old for some of them to make solid tree dogs.

yea the old blood hounds didn't start like todays dogs but when they did go they usally made a good hound i haven't fooled with a pup for awhile im gettin old and tard but i still wouldn't start 1 today till at least 10 -11 months old

Old Post 03-24-2015 01:26 AM
hillbilly56 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hillbilly56 Click here to Send hillbilly56 a Private Message Click Here to Email hillbilly56 Find more posts by hillbilly56 Add hillbilly56 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hillbilly56
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by GA DAWG
Id like to see some of these old super coon dogs go. My feist prolly tree more coon
you youngins probly couldn't carry all the coon out in a nite behind them old day hounds lol '

Old Post 03-24-2015 01:28 AM
hillbilly56 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hillbilly56 Click here to Send hillbilly56 a Private Message Click Here to Email hillbilly56 Find more posts by hillbilly56 Add hillbilly56 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rthompson
UKC Forum Member

Ya well try packin mine out!lol i treed 180 this season. only killed a dozen i was too hard on em last yr. lol i wasnt around 40 yrs ago but i sure like what i got.

Old Post 03-24-2015 01:38 AM
rthompson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rthompson Click here to Send rthompson a Private Message Click Here to Email rthompson Find more posts by rthompson Add rthompson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hillbilly56
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by rthompson
Ya well try packin mine out!lol i treed 180 this season. only killed a dozen i was too hard on em last yr. lol i wasnt around 40 yrs ago but i sure like what i got.
yea me and my buddy don't shoot many out neither we give what we do take to his nephew they was worth keeping back in the day now they ain't worth grap use ta help with dog food when a large hide was worth 30 bucks or more

Old Post 03-24-2015 01:45 AM
GA DAWG
UKC Forum Member

Aint a 180 coon in my whole county.

Old Post 03-24-2015 01:54 AM
GA DAWG is offline Click Here to See the Profile for GA DAWG Click here to Send GA DAWG a Private Message Click Here to Email GA DAWG Find more posts by GA DAWG Add GA DAWG to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

I knew if I got my poop stirring stick out it would put some life back in this board it's getting dark I gotta go to the woods !!

Old Post 03-24-2015 01:59 AM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ant12
UKC Forum Member

the old great blood

How was that old great blood and how short is your memory? I have been hunting 38 years and I know the lines what they throw and dogs of yesterday and today. Please give me today's with the right lines any day, ANY DAY. I know how many in a littler of old would make. How many would track how many would tree, and that was not the same. How many would start. I have had them out of all, top studs. Today's are better; but you must have the correct lines. I KNOW they are better, different and better. Or if you think dogs of old are better that means you believe every cross has been bad and none of the crosses have bettered what was before, please. I think you are rolling them too tight. So you want a litter where the pups maybe two before they tree and maybe three or four out of eight will tree, oh the good old days.

Old Post 03-24-2015 02:24 AM
ant12 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ant12 Click here to Send ant12 a Private Message Click Here to Email ant12 Visit ant12's homepage! Find more posts by ant12 Add ant12 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Greg Burks
UKC Forum Member

They all over here at my house...want to see them some time holler at me...

Old Post 03-24-2015 02:48 AM
Greg Burks is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Greg Burks Click here to Send Greg Burks a Private Message Find more posts by Greg Burks Add Greg Burks to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hillbilly56
UKC Forum Member

Re: the old great blood

quote:
Originally posted by ant12
How was that old great blood and how short is your memory? I have been hunting 38 years and I know the lines what they throw and dogs of yesterday and today. Please give me today's with the right lines any day, ANY DAY. I know how many in a littler of old would make. How many would track how many would tree, and that was not the same. How many would start. I have had them out of all, top studs. Today's are better; but you must have the correct lines. I KNOW they are better, different and better. Or if you think dogs of old are better that means you believe every cross has been bad and none of the crosses have bettered what was before, please. I think you are rolling them too tight. So you want a litter where the pups maybe two before they tree and maybe three or four out of eight will tree, oh the good old days.
everybody likes differnt things just like we like differnt breeds of hounds ive had al breeds except plotts and these leparod hounds ive always kept redbones and have had good luck with them but i really haven't kept up on the red dog blood in serval yrs i just get what i like i try the walker dogs back in the 70s wasn't for me ive had dogs for over 50 yrs and just like what i like

Old Post 03-24-2015 02:50 AM
elvis
UKC Forum Member

A top hound is very hard to find I don't care how much money you have to spend,
A lot of people claim to have one but very few measure up when you go look at them.

Old Post 03-24-2015 03:10 AM
elvis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for elvis Click here to Send elvis a Private Message Find more posts by elvis Add elvis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bluff country
UKC Forum Member

Nowhere in my original post did I make this about old blood vs. new blood . I'm in the market for a coon treeing dog . I don't care what breed or sex . I'm looking for a dog like I described in my original post. I log for a living and look at trees without coon in them all day long . Less people coon hunt these days and less than that know what a real coon treeing dog is . Elvis hit the nail on the head with his post . Oh yeah I'm still looking , I've had a couple guys say they have one that can be bought and I'm looking into it . Haven't found one yet .

Old Post 03-24-2015 04:43 AM
bluff country is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bluff country Click here to Send bluff country a Private Message Find more posts by bluff country Add bluff country to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
John Carroll
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by elvis
A top hound is very hard to find I don't care how much money you have to spend,
A lot of people claim to have one but very few measure up when you go look at them.

They are hard to find now, and they were hard to find twenty or thirty years ago.

I think a higher percentage of today's pups make usable dogs that will suit somebody than what we raised years ago, and for sure they start earlier and make something a lot sooner.

These souped up tree dogs require a lot different kind of training than the dogs we used to hunt.

All those tricks we learned to train dogs to tree aren't useful any more.

Old Post 03-24-2015 01:18 PM
John Carroll is offline Click Here to See the Profile for John Carroll Click here to Send John Carroll a Private Message Click Here to Email John Carroll Find more posts by John Carroll Add John Carroll to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Carl Fox
UKC Forum Member

I never have claimed to have nothing more than an average coon dog once in a while in 50 years of hunting but one thing i will guarantee you a one hour hunt is not what you can call a hunt in eastern or southeastern kentucky for by the time you get to the top of the first mountain and back your hour is ove hunt over and your dog gone money entry fee gone gas gone and you hungry as H***.

You call that fun and coon hunting if you want to i call it a bunch of crap.

Oh what were the subject we were discussing any way?????

TAKE YOUR KIDS HUNTING INSTEAD
OF HUNTING FOR YOUR KIDS!!!

Old Post 03-24-2015 01:31 PM
Carl Fox is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Carl Fox Click here to Send Carl Fox a Private Message Find more posts by Carl Fox Add Carl Fox to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Tom Jones
UKC Forum Member

im lost

half of the people posting says the good'er'uns are hard to find, the other half is claiming they have em? wtf

Old Post 03-24-2015 01:56 PM
Tom Jones is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Tom Jones Click here to Send Tom Jones a Private Message Click Here to Email Tom Jones Find more posts by Tom Jones Add Tom Jones to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
blackflagginit
UKC Forum Member

last one I had died. I haven't seen one since

*billy jack

It is well that war is so terrible, otherwise we should grow too fond of it.

Robert E. Lee

Old Post 03-24-2015 01:57 PM
blackflagginit is offline Click Here to See the Profile for blackflagginit Click here to Send blackflagginit a Private Message Click Here to Email blackflagginit Find more posts by blackflagginit Add blackflagginit to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ant12
UKC Forum Member

the good ones

The good ones are not a dime a dozen, hard to find but it starts with two things. The right blood and training. Although the real real good ones don't require as much training that's for sure. I know I posted about old blood versus new. One of the main ways dogs are better now than then, is more tree. Dogs of old lots would track but no tree or weak. I know some will say oh wait now we have these slick treeing idiots. True some are tree happy, but lots and lots get there slick treeing trained in. These dogs have to be trained different. Too many get to the tree and pet them, show dog they are happy squawl before a coon is ever seen. With dogs that have a high tree drive, you have to train. No petting squawling until coon seen. Anyway there is a lot more about training.

Old Post 03-24-2015 04:02 PM
msinc
Banned

Re: im lost

quote:
Originally posted by Tom Jones
half of the people posting says the good'er'uns are hard to find, the other half is claiming they have em? wtf

That's funny right there!!! But, when you think about it, it does kinda add up don't it???? It's like money...half's wondering where it all is and the other half has it.

Old Post 03-24-2015 04:10 PM
msinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for msinc Click here to Send msinc a Private Message Click Here to Email msinc Find more posts by msinc Add msinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rocky tanner
UKC Forum Member

Really good coon dogs are about like a bobcat around here. What I mean is as much as I travel and ramble day and night up and down the road in the woods , fields pastures swamps, hills and bottoms I don't remember when the last time I saw a Bobcat live......but I know there out there cause I see them in the road run over occasionally.

They are out there........... not easy to spot or buy.......If you are having trouble locating one change shopping places or habits....

Old Post 03-24-2015 06:16 PM
rocky tanner is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rocky tanner Click here to Send rocky tanner a Private Message Click Here to Email rocky tanner Find more posts by rocky tanner Add rocky tanner to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Vic Stoll
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Jason Baldwin
People like different things. There are people that would take the best dog you or me have ever owned and shoot them in the head or take them to the pound. There are dogs that you would give away that a man has searched for for years and years and years. Some people don't care one single bit about a dog whatsoever as long as it wins hunts. That's it. Period. End of story. Some people such as myself are hunting a dog that trees possums as well as coons and are having a good time pleasure hunting. Some people think if a pup hasn't treed a coon by 10 months old that they are a give away pup. Then they give him away and the man that gets him gets the best dog he EVER owned in his life.

Jason, what you are referring to is more of "beauty is in the eye of the beholder", or "one man's trash is another mans treasure".

It is all relative, & I still say it boils down to how an individual defines "good".

Gone but not forgotten:
Nt Ch Fanny's Midnite Blue Annie - aka Sodie Pop R.I.P. - I will miss you old girl

Nt Ch Becky’s Midnite Blue Hank - R.I.P. Old Boy, thank you for the memories

Gr Nt Ch S&E's Midnite Lite Blue Snow (Co-Owned with my good friend Harry Eidenier) - We had a blast following you ole girl!

Old Post 03-24-2015 06:19 PM
Vic Stoll is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Vic Stoll Click here to Send Vic Stoll a Private Message Find more posts by Vic Stoll Add Vic Stoll to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote