UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Collars with name tags
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Collars with name tags

It is very important to ALWAYS have a collar with your name and phone number on your dogs AT ALL TIMES. I recently purchased 2 dogs and after driving to pick the dogs up and back home, I put the 2 dogs in my kennels. Unfortunately, one of the dogs got out of his kennel without any name or phone number on his collar. I have spent a lot of time and money trying to find this dog. I put a picture in the newspaper and finally got a lead on this dog, as someone saw him last Wed. Night. Still haven't found the dog, only a positive sighting. All of this could have been avoided, if only I had put my collar on the dog as soon as I got home. Hope this shows the importance of always having a name tag and phone number on your dogs AT ALL TIMES. DAVE

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 06-25-2018 01:35 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

A excellent reminder for folks. All to often even the experienced people let their guard down at times.

Old Post 06-25-2018 12:29 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bill(Chew)
UKC Forum Member

Also check the tag from time to time and make sure it is readable.

Old Post 06-25-2018 02:48 PM
Bill(Chew) is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bill(Chew) Click here to Send Bill(Chew) a Private Message Click Here to Email Bill(Chew) Find more posts by Bill(Chew) Add Bill(Chew) to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

I have had phone calls from people in other states because someone didn't change to a collar with their name on it and dog ran off. Name tag is very very important. The only people that don't look at them and call you are animal control. They would rather spay/neuter and then adopt your dog out to someone else than call you.

Old Post 06-25-2018 03:40 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rex Ridge
UKC Forum Member

We quit putting license and rabie tags on the dogs collars because they kept loosing them. But we have white leather collars on them a9nd write our phone # on with permanent marker. Ruby has come home without her collar before...not sure if someone took it off or if she lost it in the woods.

Hope u find ur dog soon.

Old Post 06-25-2018 10:25 PM
Rex Ridge is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rex Ridge Click here to Send Rex Ridge a Private Message Find more posts by Rex Ridge Add Rex Ridge to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Roy Grant
UKC Forum Member

I just remembered today that I have my home phone # on my collars. I called Conkey's got some new ones with my cell# on them. Hope this reminds others to ck their collars

Old Post 06-26-2018 12:20 AM
Roy Grant is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Roy Grant Click here to Send Roy Grant a Private Message Click Here to Email Roy Grant Find more posts by Roy Grant Add Roy Grant to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ed Morgan
UKC Forum Member

Microchip

The most sure form of identification is a microchip implanted under skin over shoulders. They can’t lose them or have them altered and are the best ID if stolen and found. Must have scanner to read them which all vet clinics and most animal control shelters will do. Not a LoJack can’t use it to locate them.

Old Post 06-26-2018 02:30 AM
Ed Morgan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ed Morgan Click here to Send Ed Morgan a Private Message Find more posts by Ed Morgan Add Ed Morgan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Ed

I agree with the microchip and we have microchiped our house dogs. People still respond to a name tag and telephone number in these parts, microchips definitely work, but having a collar with your name and phone number is extra insurance. Dave

Old Post 06-26-2018 05:27 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ed Morgan
UKC Forum Member

Dave

I meant the microchip was the extra insurance (backup) for losing his collar and no ID. Hope u find him.

Old Post 06-26-2018 01:39 PM
Ed Morgan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ed Morgan Click here to Send Ed Morgan a Private Message Find more posts by Ed Morgan Add Ed Morgan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

When you hunt Redbones you don't have to worry about someone stealing them. They call you and say, " come get this sorry dog".

Old Post 06-26-2018 02:12 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Richard Lambert

LMAO Funny! Good sense of humor, but I suspect that you have some pretty good red dogs. Dave

Old Post 06-26-2018 09:41 PM
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Collar w/name tag

Update, I got a call today from a young man that had my LOST dog. He saw the picture that I put in the newspaper and realized the dog was mine. He had picked the dog up to prevent a car from hitting him and had no way to contact me. The picture in the paper was what allowed me to get my dog back. Lesson learned to ALWAYS have a name tag collar on your dog/s, as you never know when they might get loose. Always good to have pictures of your dogs, to provide positive I'd. Dave

Old Post 07-04-2018 02:36 AM
Rex Ridge
UKC Forum Member

Glad u got it back.
We have our dogs microchipped, too. But IF the wrong person finds them, it won't matter what ID u have on them, u won't get them back.

Old Post 07-04-2018 03:40 AM
Rex Ridge is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rex Ridge Click here to Send Rex Ridge a Private Message Find more posts by Rex Ridge Add Rex Ridge to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Wayne Cloyd
UKC Forum Member

Glad you got him back.

Old Post 07-04-2018 09:56 AM
Wayne Cloyd is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Wayne Cloyd Click here to Send Wayne Cloyd a Private Message Click Here to Email Wayne Cloyd Find more posts by Wayne Cloyd Add Wayne Cloyd to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Glad you got your dog back.

Old Post 07-04-2018 10:57 AM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Rexridge, Wayne, and Bruce

Thanks for your replies, I appreciate the kindness. My intentions are to WARN others how easy it is to lose a dog and how hard it is to find without identification, such as a name and telephone number. You can bet all my dogs will have collars with name and telephone number on them at ALL TIMES. Dave

Old Post 07-04-2018 07:17 PM