UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > When May A Bench Show Judge?
Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
yadkintar
Banned

I will have to say that numbers are down at the shows also and somtimes you have to give a win to a dog that if there was any stiffer competition there you would not pick it. I like a bigger boned more durable built dog with good feet and I have seen them show boarderline shy dogs at the bigger shows because they don't move around as much once set.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 04-26-2017 11:18 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
HOBO
UKC Forum Member

I don't love showing as much as it seems with all the ch's & gr.ch's I've made over the years. I show my dogs at the local level because most of them are put up pretty well and it helps the club a little bit.

I've always gotten a kick out if hearing guys walk by at the hunts and see my banner and mumble just show dogs and never slow down to look at their pedigree or ask about them. The few that have stopped to talk I've always told them I would turn them loose anytime they'd like to see them go.

As far as showing and not hunting one it doesn't bother me at all if that's what the owner wants to do that's their right. We have enough people fighting against us that we don't need to fight among ourselves.

Ch.Swampmusic Lil Bit Sassy
Ch.Swampmusic Misty Shadow
Gr.Ch.Swampmusic Boone
Gr.Ch.Swampmusic Pride

But Looking To The Future...

Nt.Ch.Gr.Ch.Swampmusic Big Hoss

Dennis Robinson
Cell 540-295-3892

Old Post 04-26-2017 11:51 PM
HOBO is offline Click Here to See the Profile for HOBO Click here to Send HOBO a Private Message Click Here to Email HOBO Visit HOBO's homepage! Find more posts by HOBO Add HOBO to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

I like to show a good looking dog but usually don't get to because with so few of us judges left we take turn about so people get their wins under the different judges like they need to to finish their dogs.

Old Post 04-27-2017 12:00 AM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
msinc
Banned

I have shown a few dogs in the past and even made a few a champion, I mostly just hunt. I never make fun or comment or talk down on show dog folks. It's like anything else you like...whatever gets you though the night!!! The simple fact is that folks who show dogs have just as much a chance of getting that special dog as anyone else. I don't know any die hard, hunt only people that as a matter of routine keep on getting the kind of dog we all want to own either, so why is what they are doing any different?? And again, why not have both??? The only way is to first get some stock with good confirmation. I cannot stand and will not hunt a dog that is ugly. I might not show him, but he is going to at least look acceptable.

Old Post 04-27-2017 12:48 AM
msinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for msinc Click here to Send msinc a Private Message Click Here to Email msinc Find more posts by msinc Add msinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

I think that a dog that meets the standreds for the bench show also is the type that should hold up well physicly at night in the woods but the wippet look is what I call it is frail looking to me and in rough terrain would not hold up like I said before I like a bigger boned dog with good feet look at a picture of lipper that's my kind of build on a dog.

Old Post 04-27-2017 01:33 PM
wvcoonrunner
UKC Forum Member

I like mine to do both. This is CH"PR" Wide Open Mountain Thunder. Turns a year old next month, has been running track since he was 4 months old, made champion in 3 shows and has 2 wins toward grand including winning ch male at an RQE.

Last edited by wvcoonrunner on 04-28-2017 at 11:51 AM

Old Post 04-28-2017 11:49 AM
wvcoonrunner is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wvcoonrunner Find more posts by wvcoonrunner Add wvcoonrunner to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
msinc
Banned

That is a nice looking hound!!! And not the first all blue one I've seen in Elk Garden....must be something in the water over that way!!! Good luck with him. I wish my blue dogs had feet and legs like that!!!!

Old Post 04-28-2017 12:48 PM
msinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for msinc Click here to Send msinc a Private Message Click Here to Email msinc Find more posts by msinc Add msinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wvcoonrunner
UKC Forum Member

Thanks, his grandmother made the top 100 last year so I'm really hoping he turns into the hound she was.

Old Post 04-28-2017 12:50 PM
wvcoonrunner is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wvcoonrunner Find more posts by wvcoonrunner Add wvcoonrunner to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

I think that what Mr Conley is referring to are the hounds that win major shows on the National level. They appear to be a different breed of dogs. But then their handlers also don't look like the handlers that you see at your local Sat night hunt either.

Old Post 04-28-2017 12:56 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Wnoahclarl
UKC Forum Member

I have been blessed this year with a few state level wins with two of my redbones on the bench. I also hunt mine. I have a 9 month old running and treeing her own coon. She is a beautiful hound with great confirmation. What really gives her the edge over dogs that do not hunt is her back legs. Since she is hunted 4 nights a week she has very nice leg muscles. Those leg muscles is the reason she was queen of show at AL state. So do not think that a dog that has the frail legs will always win. Coonhounds are suppose to hunt, so there bodies are suppose to be in hunting form. A good judge knows this too.

Old Post 04-28-2017 03:52 PM
Wnoahclarl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Wnoahclarl Click here to Send Wnoahclarl a Private Message Click Here to Email Wnoahclarl Find more posts by Wnoahclarl Add Wnoahclarl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Thank you Richard. That is exactly what I am talking about.
At the Autumn Oaks, Grand American and so forth the dogs I see coming and going from the show ring look a lot different to me and any I see in the woods. The male walkers are tall and several of the other breeds have some skinny legs.

In no way guys am I talking about any of your hunting dogs that you also show on the weekends.

Old Post 04-28-2017 04:21 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
HOBO
UKC Forum Member

Re: .

quote:
Originally posted by Bruce m. Conkey

In no way guys am I talking about any of your hunting dogs that you also show on the weekends.

Just HOBO'S....

Gr.Ch.Swampmusic Boone
Gr.Ch.Swampmusic Pride

Dennis Robinson
Cell 540-295-3892

Old Post 04-28-2017 04:28 PM
HOBO is offline Click Here to See the Profile for HOBO Click here to Send HOBO a Private Message Click Here to Email HOBO Visit HOBO's homepage! Find more posts by HOBO Add HOBO to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

HOBO, I question some of your ear length but I think you found Big Mike to solve that problem. lol
I feel I can pick on you about ear length and not make you made because I have one that his ears are twice as short as yours. You know the funny thing. When I deposited the $6,000 check he won at the SS, I didn't even think about ears. lol

Old Post 04-28-2017 04:39 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
HOBO
UKC Forum Member

Bruce,
I've read thread after thread on here for years about ling eared dogs being better cold nose track dogs.... It's taken me YEARS to get those short ears in my dogs.... WHY short ears you ask? Simple answer really..... I like this short eared dogs because a coon doesn't have as much ear to grab a hold of and chew on...

Gr.Ch.Swampmusic Boone
Gr.Ch.Swampmusic Pride

Dennis Robinson
Cell 540-295-3892

Old Post 04-28-2017 05:24 PM
OLD TIMER
UKC Forum Member

Simple ---

Don't send them North to tree coon, just keep them after those 5 and 10 pound monsters 😂

Old Post 04-28-2017 06:32 PM
OLD TIMER is offline Click Here to See the Profile for OLD TIMER Click Here to Email OLD TIMER Find more posts by OLD TIMER Add OLD TIMER to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
HOBO
UKC Forum Member

Those northern coon didn't chew on Hoss's ears.... They chewed on his back! DANG REDBONES!

Gr.Ch.Swampmusic Boone
Gr.Ch.Swampmusic Pride

Dennis Robinson
Cell 540-295-3892

Old Post 04-28-2017 06:33 PM
wvcoonrunner
UKC Forum Member

Re: .

quote:
Originally posted by Bruce m. Conkey

I know you weren't, I just like taking the opportunity to show off this young pup. I haven't done much competition hunting here lately because I'm very picky when it comes to my dogs but I have put a few show titles on dogs that didn't make it hunting wise. I like taking them to shows because it gets them used to being around different people and dogs. If I win fine, if not that's fine too.

Old Post 04-28-2017 06:37 PM
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Old Timer, mine get hunted North and South. I have two up North right now and they are doing just fine. If I could get these down here doing as good I would be headed in the right direction.

Old Post 04-28-2017 07:36 PM
OLD TIMER
UKC Forum Member

Bruce---

Some night when she's right, sneak over to HOBO's and introduce her to Hoss👍

Your problems will be over!

Old Post 04-28-2017 07:57 PM
OLD TIMER is offline Click Here to See the Profile for OLD TIMER Click Here to Email OLD TIMER Find more posts by OLD TIMER Add OLD TIMER to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote