UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Tracking Garmin collar the old fashion way
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Wayne Valentino
UKC Forum Member

Tracking Garmin collar the old fashion way

I was thinking what would we do if the 320 went belly up and we had a lost dog. Well knowing that the collars use VHF frequencies to transmit data to the 320 I set out to find out what those frequencies are. Using my Icom R-10, I found them. Now if the 320 fails I can use my R-10 and a yagi antenna and track them like the older beep, beep collars. Granted the dc50 and T5 we have only send a signal every so many seconds and are not as constant as the beepers but it is enough to track em. This is an emergency back up in a situation that may never happen, but I now have a plan B if it does.

So you guys with the R-10's or R-20's don't be so quick to get rid of em, ya never know !! What are my collars freq. ?? DC50 151.820mhz T5 is 151.590mhz. Your collars may be different, so you will have to experinment. Or if you have access to a radio frequency counter unit it will tell you within seconds.. My ham radio hobby does come in handy for coon hunting sometimes LOL...

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 02-22-2015 09:47 PM
Wayne Valentino is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Wayne Valentino Click here to Send Wayne Valentino a Private Message Click Here to Email Wayne Valentino Find more posts by Wayne Valentino Add Wayne Valentino to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bayemup34
UKC Forum Member

Hey that's pretty smart. Never thought of that. Always run a beep beep collar anyway.

If they don't bay, they don't stay

Catch em and stretch em, tree em and free em

'PR' McPherson's Big Mouth Brandy

Old Post 02-22-2015 10:10 PM
Bayemup34 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bayemup34 Click here to Send Bayemup34 a Private Message Find more posts by Bayemup34 Add Bayemup34 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Wayne Valentino
UKC Forum Member

Don't

need an extra beep beep if you can tune into your Garmin.. It gives off a packet of data every 5 seconds or so,depending on your settings, it is not as easy as beeper but it will work.

Old Post 02-22-2015 10:34 PM
Wayne Valentino is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Wayne Valentino Click here to Send Wayne Valentino a Private Message Click Here to Email Wayne Valentino Find more posts by Wayne Valentino Add Wayne Valentino to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bayemup34
UKC Forum Member

I don't have an icom or any other tracking box bcuz we run bear dogs and they guy I ride with does so if I lose a dog I can track it with his. But Ive got a 2 meter handheld that I cut on just now to try it. I got a beep from 151.810 through 151.825. I'm guessing you must've got a louder beep on the 820, but mine doesn't seem to change?

Old Post 02-22-2015 11:04 PM
Bayemup34 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bayemup34 Click here to Send Bayemup34 a Private Message Find more posts by Bayemup34 Add Bayemup34 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Wayne Valentino
UKC Forum Member

I

used the r-10 on cw [morse code] mode so it would be very tight on recieve to narrow it down to the exact frequency. Your 2 meter handheld is FM very wide so it will hear the collar over a wide range as you just found out.

Old Post 02-22-2015 11:23 PM
Bayemup34
UKC Forum Member

Oh ok. Makes sense now

Old Post 02-22-2015 11:26 PM
V.R. Eakins
UKC Forum Member

R10 and garmin

have you tried to see what kind of distance. What about a wildlife 1000 tracking box would it also work or is this something you get extra with the Icom.

Old Post 02-23-2015 03:18 AM
V.R. Eakins is offline Click Here to See the Profile for V.R. Eakins Click here to Send V.R. Eakins a Private Message Find more posts by V.R. Eakins Add V.R. Eakins to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Wayne Valentino
UKC Forum Member

You

will see simular distance as the 320. Your wildlife box would have to be able to tune the right frequency, if it is a 219 box then NO. The Icom will tune ANY frequency, that is the difference.

Old Post 02-23-2015 03:32 AM
Bayemup34
UKC Forum Member

So if you had a 151 box it would work. And does it "lose communication" as much as the 320?

Old Post 02-23-2015 03:44 AM
Wayne Valentino
UKC Forum Member

yes

a 151 box would work as long as it covered the frequency of the collar, in my case 151.590 and 151.820.. You need to know what frequency your collars are on, it should be close I would think. I see frequency counters on Ebay for 15 bucks shipped free from China.. That will give you the exact frequency, They measure all Frequencies from 50Mhz up to 1 Ghz. as far as loosing signal I doubt it because it is only listening to the info. packets being sent not using the info. contained in the transmission them like the 320.

Old Post 02-23-2015 04:49 AM
Wayne Valentino
UKC Forum Member

btt

so more will see this info.

Old Post 02-27-2015 01:57 AM
garminguru
UKC Forum Member

Excellent reminder Wayne.
This was touched on a long time ago in this post

http://forums.ukcdogs.com/showthrea...threadid=407411

I never bothered to try because my Garmin has never failed but I gues the AOR needs to at least have the right frequencies in it if I had to use it.

Last edited by garminguru on 02-27-2015 at 03:02 AM

Old Post 02-27-2015 02:44 AM
garminguru is offline Click Here to See the Profile for garminguru Click here to Send garminguru a Private Message Find more posts by garminguru Add garminguru to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Wayne Valentino
UKC Forum Member

I

never saw that other thread of years gone by... Too bad that smart guy on there got banned !!!! LOL... I always knew it could be done. Now my son bought a Garmin so I just knew an emergency back up was a must. So why not share .... I have 2 r-10's maybe my extra one just got more valuable...

Old Post 02-28-2015 03:36 AM
garminguru
UKC Forum Member

Re: I

quote:
Originally posted by Wayne Valentino
never saw that other thread of years gone by... Too bad that smart guy on there got banned !!!! LOL... I always knew it could be done. Now my son bought a Garmin so I just knew an emergency back up was a must. So why not share .... I have 2 r-10's maybe my extra one just got more valuable...

That is a pretty old thread and the other guy was the one who hit on it. Your right about the value maybe going up...... My problem is, tracking dogs aside, lots of my "stuff" to listen to is going to Viper and I am not familiar with that technology much yet. My AOR won't do that.......

Old Post 02-28-2015 07:59 PM
garminguru is offline Click Here to See the Profile for garminguru Click here to Send garminguru a Private Message Find more posts by garminguru Add garminguru to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Wayne Valentino
UKC Forum Member

Not

familiar with Viper either... But I'm an old cw guy and I never do that anymore, just ssb on 160 meters. No one around here using 2 meters much either... Internet is killing the ham radio hobby I think..

Old Post 02-28-2015 09:55 PM
garminguru
UKC Forum Member

Re: Not

quote:
familiar with Viper either... But I'm an old cw guy and I never do that anymore, just ssb on 160 meters. No one around here using 2 meters much either... Internet is killing the ham radio hobby I think..

Looks that way here too...2 meters is dead.... I have an old straight key and can maybe pound out 18-20 but more like 8-10 on receive. I am rusty.

Old Post 03-01-2015 02:21 AM
Wayne Valentino
UKC Forum Member

btt

Up so more will see this.

Guru my cw is REAL rusty. I should get back at it.

Old Post 03-07-2015 09:56 PM
garminguru
UKC Forum Member

Re: btt

quote:
Up so more will see this.

Guru my cw is REAL rusty. I should get back at it.

We ought to make a sked one night and try it.

Old Post 04-03-2015 08:22 PM
Wayne Valentino
UKC Forum Member

shame

you can't get on 160 with us. couple of coonhunters on 1.923 with me..

Old Post 04-04-2015 03:10 AM
Wayne Valentino
UKC Forum Member

btt

so more will see this...

Old Post 05-16-2015 01:23 PM
Wayne Valentino
UKC Forum Member

Re: btt

quote:
so more will see this...
btt

Old Post 05-25-2015 12:03 PM
Wayne Valentino
UKC Forum Member

back up

to share this info....

Old Post 09-11-2015 11:43 AM
Wayne Valentino
UKC Forum Member

this is

an old thread but the info. may help those who have never seen it.

Old Post 04-17-2017 08:17 PM
Wayne Valentino
UKC Forum Member

btt

btt

Old Post 04-27-2017 02:10 PM