UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Tracking ability?
Pages (7): « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
N Williams
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by yadkintar
Yes zeb 3 was a top reproducer and the only reason I missed it was because I am way older than you and I had a broke back, ankle and bad knees and couldn’t and wouldn’t follow a babbling ,bronkey, blow deep dog. And spend money my family needed to prove what ?

For some us the past is all we got. But we keep setting behind that table putting on hunts. so you can prove what a dog man really is.

Tar

Not all the dogs he produced babbled. I was using him as an example. I’ve got a walker female right now. Best track dog I’ve ever had and been hunting 30 years. Not saying best just best out grubbing up tracks and having the meat at the end. Ground pounding fool. Was in 14 th cast we put her in before she ever drew minus. That was with the leaves off and she’s not wipeout breed. I’ve only heard of one dog on her papers.
People that want settle for less have nice dogs today and they did 50 years ago.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 04-06-2020 03:08 AM
N Williams is offline Click Here to See the Profile for N Williams Click here to Send N Williams a Private Message Find more posts by N Williams Add N Williams to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

I know and I am not discrediting you but I owned the 2000 $$$ world champ go look at the play by play of how he operated I bought him after that and hunted him nearly every night after that. I trained grchgrntch yadkin tar deacon with him he was a double grandson of grntch yadkin tar rattler. That’s when I noticed the track speed that I am talking about and the deadly accuracy. Bozz was also a grandson of rattler and a lipper female. Deacon at a young age more times than not would destroy bozz on any kind of coon. Where I messed up I tried the stud dog route instead of the money hunts I regret that now.

Tar

Old Post 04-06-2020 03:30 AM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Trueblood85
UKC Forum Member

quote:
I would rather hear a dog start a bad track and get it jumped and push it to the tree than tree three pop ups but that’s just me.

Tar

Absolutely!

Old Post 04-06-2020 03:46 AM
Trueblood85 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Trueblood85 Click here to Send Trueblood85 a Private Message Find more posts by Trueblood85 Add Trueblood85 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
OLD TIMER
UKC Forum Member

Mr Tar

That because you know it’s more fun carrying a good coonhound then a score card😉👍

Old Post 04-06-2020 01:22 PM
OLD TIMER is offline Click Here to See the Profile for OLD TIMER Click Here to Email OLD TIMER Find more posts by OLD TIMER Add OLD TIMER to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Re: Mr Tar

quote:
Originally posted by OLD TIMER
That because you know it’s more fun carrying a good coonhound then a score card😉👍

You don’t make a good coonhound in the hunts. My favorite hunts now are with my son teaching him how to have an eye for natural talent. The type that are born with it you just hunt them.

And he likes snacks too lol.

Tar

Old Post 04-06-2020 01:31 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
OLD TIMER
UKC Forum Member

Brings back —-

Something Roy Blakesley said a long time ago, “you can teach a dog to tree but it’s a lot better if they do it naturally“.

I just talked with a well known coyote hunter this weekend (on the phone about 600 miles apart😂 who used to coon hunt who said he quit because they bred the tracking ability out and the hunts are won by the handler more then the hound. Then he said something that put a smile on my face in these trying times—“you should be breeding to the handler, not the dog!”

He does have a Limber Lost bred Black and Tan for old times that he lets train his puppies how to get though the woods and trail rabbits.

Old Post 04-06-2020 04:40 PM
OLD TIMER is offline Click Here to See the Profile for OLD TIMER Click Here to Email OLD TIMER Find more posts by OLD TIMER Add OLD TIMER to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Jacking a track back and forth 7 or 8 times 200 yards don’t mean they run that coon a mile.

Tar

Old Post 04-08-2020 12:29 PM
Mike Knuckols
UKC Forum Member

It’s bred into them . Most dogs shouldn’t be bred at all . They win a little and they are stud dogs . Now that the economy is in the crapper maybe people will make a breeding because they need a pup for themselves knowing what they don’t keep they will have to give away . What I’ve seen is these wipeout 3some pups don’t seem to ever miss , Wheeler pups open in the box let them out and bam there’s Rocky these Houses Jay pups are money and just my experience Drum pups are accurate. I’m about to have 3 generations down from drum x stylish clover pups . We will see what happens ? There are a bunch of balanced lines Swamp Clover etc . The problem is not many cull anymore due to the investment.

Home of :
CH NITECH Whitemans Poison
GRCH NITECH Cold Traxx Extra Man
CH GRNITECH Kings Hardwood Ranger
UKC CH PKC CH CHKC CH Cold Traxx Man Child
GRNTCH PKC CH Hunt it off Bella
Cold Traxx Southern Honey
Cold Traxx Mattie
Cold Traxx Super Freak

Gone but never forgotten :
NITECH McFarlands Joe
Knuckols Hooker
NITECH Cypress River Chance
NITECH Cypress River Honey
NITECH Cypress River Princess
NITECH Newcombs Miss Molly
NITECH Wilsons Hardwood Ann
GRCH GRNTCH Paulding Forrest Bubba

Old Post 04-08-2020 03:26 PM
Mike Knuckols is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mike Knuckols Click here to Send Mike Knuckols a Private Message Click Here to Email Mike Knuckols Find more posts by Mike Knuckols Add Mike Knuckols to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Clovis A Nailor
UKC Forum Member

Coonhounds are hard to figure out at how well one produces. If not put in the right hands who knows what they will be. I've kept a whole litter before. Some where crazy some where shy some would never make a coondog and there's that 1 I kept that made a real hound. Me and my hunting buddy bought 2 litter mate pups a year ago on my request that we needed pups bred like they where. His has made a nice hound and he don't hunt as much as me. Mine on the other hand is a real live retard that needs a .22 in his head. Now if you ask my hunting buddy opinion he would like another one off that cross if you ask me I would give you a complete different opinion.

Old Post 04-10-2020 08:32 PM
Clovis A Nailor is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Clovis A Nailor Click here to Send Clovis A Nailor a Private Message Click Here to Email Clovis A Nailor Find more posts by Clovis A Nailor Add Clovis A Nailor to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
oldsouth123
UKC Forum Member

N Williams

Re read your reply.That's what we were talking about,TDB wouldn't have won or placed at all,because there was no re entry.He would have went home the first night.Just think,how many of us even know of a dog that win's five cast in a row with plus points, even in the small local hunts.

Old Post 05-02-2020 04:20 AM
oldsouth123 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for oldsouth123 Click here to Send oldsouth123 a Private Message Find more posts by oldsouth123 Add oldsouth123 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
oldsouth123
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by N Williams
I’m not saying y’all were sissy’s. Thousand dallied Bill won the senior super stakes and the world. Both times he did it he won early 3 nights got beat late. Then won double cast thur night then won both hunts. Hunt all week all night long and still be standing. That’s a dog that’s still living and we’re talking about 3 hour hunts. Your problem tar is the best reproducer to ever lived died a few years ago. Your so hung up on the past you missed it. He produced 5 world champs. Love him or hate him don’t think one will ever do that again.
That's what we were talking about, he wouldn't have won or placed at all,because there was no re entrys.It don't matter how tough he is,he's got to win every cast with plus points against some of the best .The night he hunts alone, he has to hunt the whole three hours without minusing out and come in with PLUS POINTS

Old Post 05-02-2020 04:42 AM
oldsouth123 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for oldsouth123 Click here to Send oldsouth123 a Private Message Find more posts by oldsouth123 Add oldsouth123 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Charles Pullen
UKC Forum Member

Re: Tracking ability?

quote:
What makes dogs have superior tracking ability over others.

Are they more intelligent ?

Tar

Young man it’s called “ Drive “ . Hounds that has lot of heart or drive will go hunting without a buddy and they will have the meat when parked . But if they don’t have the drive or desire then they will put it in park when things get tough . Then a lot of hard hunting . Years ago people didn’t have to decide which dog they was taking tonight. It was the only hound they had . So it got hunted . But I would say it’s more desire / drive to finish the tracks .

Old Post 05-02-2020 01:48 PM
Charles Pullen is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Charles Pullen Click here to Send Charles Pullen a Private Message Click Here to Email Charles Pullen Find more posts by Charles Pullen Add Charles Pullen to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Re: Re: Tracking ability?

quote:
Originally posted by Charles Pullen
Young man it’s called “ Drive “ . Hounds that has lot of heart or drive will go hunting without a buddy and they will have the meat when parked . But if they don’t have the drive or desire then they will put it in park when things get tough . Then a lot of hard hunting . Years ago people didn’t have to decide which dog they was taking tonight. It was the only hound they had . So it got hunted . But I would say it’s more desire / drive to finish the tracks .

Haven’t seen it in a long time but back in the day it was pretty common to see on a running track dogs that would start locating 50 yards before they got to the tree.

Tar

Old Post 05-02-2020 01:58 PM
Charles Pullen
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: Tracking ability?

quote:
Haven’t seen it in a long time but back in the day it was pretty common to see on a running track dogs that would start locating 50 yards before they got to the tree.

Tar

Don’t you remember when dogs would cross a river and have it . Now it’s a mud puddle and they loose the track . Use to be they would get in a middle of a cutover or clearcut and still here the meat . Now they get hung up on blow downs or laps . To me it’s Desire & Drive both that makes one more special and lot of solo hunting.

Old Post 05-02-2020 02:04 PM
Charles Pullen is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Charles Pullen Click here to Send Charles Pullen a Private Message Click Here to Email Charles Pullen Find more posts by Charles Pullen Add Charles Pullen to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Re: Re: Re: Re: Tracking ability?

quote:
Originally posted by Charles Pullen
Don’t you remember when dogs would cross a river and have it . Now it’s a mud puddle and they loose the track . Use to be they would get in a middle of a cutover or clearcut and still here the meat . Now they get hung up on blow downs or laps . To me it’s Desire & Drive both that makes one more special and lot of solo hunting.

I can’t hunt mine on the river when it’s low they go to the other side just to see what’s over there then it’s a 50 mile drive to go get them when they get treed lol.

Tar

Old Post 05-02-2020 02:09 PM
N Williams
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by oldsouth123
That's what we were talking about, he wouldn't have won or placed at all,because there was no re entrys.It don't matter how tough he is,he's got to win every cast with plus points against some of the best .The night he hunts alone, he has to hunt the whole three hours without minusing out and come in with PLUS POINTS

Bottom line you got to win several cast in a row to win any major hunt. He had to win 5-6 to win both those. I know it’s been done but very few hounds go through stretches where they win 5-6 in a row against good competition. how many dogs have won 2 major hunts in there’s lifetime? I’m not against 3 hour hunts. It’s just a different time and if you had them now dogs would be scattered in different counties by the end of the hunt. It’s much easier to find a dog that can hunt alone and not draw minus than it is to find one that can tree coons and hold there points with dogs so y’all please don’t get started on that. Most cast now in major events all the dogs are hunting alone anyway.

Old Post 05-02-2020 07:19 PM
N Williams is offline Click Here to See the Profile for N Williams Click here to Send N Williams a Private Message Find more posts by N Williams Add N Williams to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Well we will see how that one coon a 2 hr cast stuff works with the new ukc rules.

And before anybody says well they treed more than that they just lost some of their points .......... OH REALLY !!!

Tar

Old Post 05-02-2020 07:55 PM
oldsouth123
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Bottom line you got to win several cast in a row to win any major hunt. He had to win 5-6 to win both those. I know it’s been done but very few hounds go through stretches where they win 5-6 in a row against good competition. how many dogs have won 2 major hunts in there’s lifetime? I’m not against 3 hour hunts. It’s just a different time and if you had them now dogs would be scattered in different counties by the end of the hunt. It’s much easier to find a dog that can hunt alone and not draw minus than it is to find one that can tree coons and hold there points with dogs so y’all please don’t get started on that. Most cast now in major events all the dogs are hunting alone anyway.
As you said. It's much easier to find a dog that can hunt alone and not draw minus than it is to find one that can tree coons and hold their points with dogs.Yep,thats what we've been saying.Tar,I think they're finally getting your point. I know it's hard,but that's what they had to do,or go home.

Old Post 05-03-2020 04:53 AM
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Mr. Pullen mentioned DRIVE. It starts there. Drive takes them on their mission of finding a coon. Drive can also get them into a lots of trouble if they don't have the tracking ability to take a colder track.

I am fortunate to have one now that has the drive/determination to find a coon. Day or night. I am fixing to start a couple pups in the early morning hours and I figured I needed a feeder bucket out. We are extremely dry down here and wanted to try and bunch a few coon up.

Couple days ago I went out in the afternoon to put a bucket out and decided to take a couple hounds, just to get them some exercise while I placed the bucket. Cut loose couple young ones and my older dog. He went through the timber and hit a DRY creek bed. He followed it till he found a mud spot in the creek. There he also found a coon. Now this is just after 3 in the afternoon with the temp. at 85*. Drive treed this coon.

https://youtu.be/ptKcma_UmTI

Old Post 05-03-2020 01:45 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

quote:
I know and I am not discrediting you but I owned the 2000 $$$ world champ go look at the play by play of how he operated......
Tar

Oh my goodness, that was 20 years ago. Have hounds changed any in the last 20 year's? How many years has it been since there was a Yadkin River line of dogs? How many years has it been since there was a Zeb 3 pup?

Last edited by Richard Lambert on 05-03-2020 at 03:49 PM

Old Post 05-03-2020 03:46 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lambert
Oh my goodness, that was 20 years ago. Have hounds changed any in the last 20 year's? How many years has it been since there was a Yadkin River line of dogs? How many years has it been since there was a Zeb 3 pup?

Brouther a little trip down memorie lane it was bozz , bad habit , the raid and jagg dog. Raid and jagg made it to the final 4 of that world hunt without a plus point. Bozz got in the first night raid and jagg had so many circle slicks they had to start writing them on the back of the card bozz and habit had coons in their trees while all that was going on that’s why my female is a grandaughter of habit. They won because they finished their tracks with coons seen and was indifferent while doing it.

That kind of dog will win today also.

Tar

Old Post 05-03-2020 04:32 PM
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lambert

Richard...I been wanting to say this for a looooong time...

A good or great hunting dog 20 years ago should be good or great today...

The difference should be that there should be a higher percentage of good to great pups in each litter today...

I realize hunting land is disappearing...and we now have the Garmin alpha etc...etc...there are pluses and minuses to consider...

I think we can all agree they “should be better today” but are they, why or why not? This should be another thread...

Old Post 05-03-2020 06:16 PM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Reuben there was no plan B back in the day they get by with more today because when coons ain’t moving they get paid for it simple as that !!

Tar

Old Post 05-03-2020 08:47 PM
N Williams
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Reuben there was no plan B back in the day they get by with more today because when coons ain’t moving they get paid for it simple as that !!

Tar

I remember I went to a Rqe about 20 years ago. Drew out with a bunch of well know dogs in our area. I remember we treed a coon right out of the truck. Then everything started slick treeing like crazy. Problem was everyone’s dog started backing. I remember the first tree was about 200 yards from first coon we treed and slick as they come. Everyone started voting to circle. I said you’ve got to be kidding me. They circled about 5 trees that night that we’re slick and should have been minuses. Now days dought this would have happened. It was a ukc hunt and it wasn’t ukc fault. Those trees would have been judged differently if dogs were alone. Last dog I ran she was alone and I mean wouldn’t even be backed on 90% or better trees she made. Questionable trees always got minused. I most certainly believe dogs of today get judged more correctly. When there packing people seem to rule in favor of there dog.

Old Post 05-03-2020 10:11 PM
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
I remember I went to a Rqe about 20 years ago. Drew out with a bunch of well know dogs in our area. I remember we treed a coon right out of the truck. Then everything started slick treeing like crazy. Problem was everyone’s dog started backing. I remember the first tree was about 200 yards from first coon we treed and slick as they come. Everyone started voting to circle. I said you’ve got to be kidding me. They circled about 5 trees that night that we’re slick and should have been minuses. Now days dought this would have happened. It was a ukc hunt and it wasn’t ukc fault. Those trees would have been judged differently if dogs were alone. Last dog I ran she was alone and I mean wouldn’t even be backed on 90% or better trees she made. Questionable trees always got minused. I most certainly believe dogs of today get judged more correctly. When there packing people seem to rule in favor of there dog.

I believe you till I go to the $$$ board and start reading the scores.

Tar

Old Post 05-03-2020 11:18 PM