UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Just thinking ?
Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Coby Wright
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by T Felderman
Miss representing the facts again, lol
I paid $75 for first entry as did probably most every one else.

This is a little misleading as well.

You paid $75 FOR THE CHANCE to win a $300 entry fee and you had to enter other hunts to win it. So you had more than $75 in that "free" $300 entry that you won and the kennel club made more than $75 from you and that entry is tied to one particular dog.

You didn't just show up with $75 and a random dog and get a shot at $30,000.

At Stud: Gr. Nt. Ch. Wright's Stylish Lotto Bawls (click here to see ad)

Former Home of Gr. Nt. Ch. Bawling Rebel.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 03-09-2020 12:26 PM
Coby Wright is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Coby Wright Click here to Send Coby Wright a Private Message Visit Coby Wright's homepage! Find more posts by Coby Wright Add Coby Wright to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Coby

If you don’t get a double cast win that night the next night cost you $300. I think the last time I went which was way back there it cost me $1,200 + trip entry’s gas and lodging. And I never got close to no winnings lol.

Tar

Old Post 03-09-2020 12:43 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wart
UKC Forum Member

Hunt

In the early 2000 a hunter that went to Kentucky to the s.stakes and world hunt told me he stayed and hunted the super stakes and world hunt and spent 1500 to 2000 per year entry fees ,gas etc. he said he had spent at least 20,000 at that hunt he also told me he spent 3200.00 to win 800 to900 in his state race he kept reciepts on everything it can be expensive to hunt in the hunts

Old Post 03-09-2020 01:00 PM
wart is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wart Click here to Send wart a Private Message Find more posts by wart Add wart to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

You have to "pay to play". It is expensive but it sure is fun. I wonder why 300-400 people show up every year while the rest just stay home? I guess that everyone is different.

Old Post 03-09-2020 02:50 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ed Hillenbrand
UKC Forum Member

Just thinking

I think we have to accept the fact that the numbers we enjoyed years ago are gone. The new generation is too smart to stumble around in the dark and the old guys are losing their knees. I used to hear a coonhound on every country block. Now there are none. Hunting ground has dried up and the deer hunters are convinced that our hounds chase their trophy bucks out of the country. Our attention should be focused on youth hunts. Lots of trophys and prizes for the kids and more college scholarships.

Old Post 03-09-2020 03:15 PM
Ed Hillenbrand is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ed Hillenbrand Click here to Send Ed Hillenbrand a Private Message Click Here to Email Ed Hillenbrand Find more posts by Ed Hillenbrand Add Ed Hillenbrand to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Ed Hillenbrand

I am afraid you are correct, there are several valid reasons for the lower hunt numbers these days and NO easy fixes in sight. I think the Dollar KC'S elevated our sport from the hillbilly image it once had to level of respect the Bird dog hunts enjoyed. Saying that, the grass roots of coon hunting was given a Hugh shake up, no longer was our sport one of deep rooted enjoyment of coon hunting, it became a game of well heeled individuals seeking the prestige of winning at any costs. Individuals, who had the resources to buy the best, hire paid handlers, and spend what it took to win at a high level. Coon hunting for the average guy took a backseat to the "PLAYERS" in the game, while the little man could and still won once in a while, it was no longer their game to play. Winning major hunts become a thing for the well heeled owners and this carried on for way to many years. Now, it's a declining sport that's lost its interest for many, including the well heeled owners who have found other play grounds. Combine that with all the other factors like declining areas to hunt, older hunters health issues and a lack of interest by a majority if the younger generation, the HUNTS face an uphill battle to survive. Dave

Old Post 03-09-2020 09:44 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ed Hillenbrand
UKC Forum Member

Just thinking

Very well thought out and said, Dave. I have never met you but I kinda wish we were neighbors. Hope the leg is getting better.

Old Post 03-09-2020 10:35 PM
Ed Hillenbrand is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ed Hillenbrand Click here to Send Ed Hillenbrand a Private Message Click Here to Email Ed Hillenbrand Find more posts by Ed Hillenbrand Add Ed Hillenbrand to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Ed Hillenbrand

Thank you for your kind comments, I wish you were closer, I am sure we would enjoy hunting with each other. I am walking on my leg, but really do not have any stability, may have to have surgery as the ACL will not heal on it's own. Thanks for asking. Dave

Old Post 03-09-2020 11:24 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
brlan90
UKC Forum Member

This is coming more from a pleasure hunter than a comp hunter although I have spectated a couple good casts n some war zones at the end of the day y is it so hard to just call ur dog struck n treed

Old Post 03-10-2020 01:20 AM
brlan90 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for brlan90 Click here to Send brlan90 a Private Message Click Here to Email brlan90 Find more posts by brlan90 Add brlan90 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Tyler Stroh
UKC Forum Member

I'm fairly young compared to most of you (I'm 35) but I'm old enough to have seen the hunts and shows in the late 80s and early to mid 90s. I watched the hunts and shows I started to compete in in the late 90s/early 2000s go from drawing around 15 to 20 dogs in a bench show and 25 to 40 in a hunt down to about 3 or 4 in a bench show and maybe 10 in a hunt the last few years.

There's a lot to blame for this. For one, unless you live in a very rural area the animal rights activists make it difficult for ANYONE to raise dogs or any other animal. I was told by one coonhunter that his town passed an ordinance that if the outside temperature exceeded 85° that your dogs had to be brought in to a air conditioned environment. When he was getting written up for violating this ordinance he informed them that he didn't even have air conditioning for himself or his dogs!! There's tons of stories like this and I personally believe that is the biggest obstacle to the longevity of hunting with hounds.

I also hear a lot of guys my age and younger say they don't hunt UKC much because "there's no money in it!". Maybe I'm old school but to me hunting "for money" takes away from the bigger prize. Seeing all those hours and all the hard work you put into a dog start to pay off. Especially a dog that you've raised and worked and trained from a puppy start to reach their potential.

My daughter accompanies me to almost every show and hunt I show in now and sometimes it's very upsetting to see the lack of interest in getting kids involved at the clubs. I've asked at the last few I've been to to do a kids show after the show is finished and even though it's sometimes a last minute, haphazard event the kids love it! I personally think every club should be prepared to do things like this at all events (and I know a lot do) because these kids are the future of our sport. The last two weekends the shows I've competed in had 17 dogs and the hunts all had 20+... Still low but encouraging that maybe things are maybe starting to get better....

Home of:
GRCH NITECH 'pr' Wild Rivers Black River Boy 2
*2020 Autumn Oaks Mini Slam overall winner
*qualified 2021 UKC Tournament of Champions
*2021 Indiana Spring Classic overall hunt winner

CH NITECH Gilmans Rebel X Roxy Blk Rock
*qualified 2024 UKC tournament of champions
*UKC performance sire

CH 'pr' Wild Rivers Black Kat
CH 'pr' Wild Rivers Poison Ivy
pr Wild Rivers Big Ben

RIP:
CH NITECH 'pr' Black River Boy
CH 'pr' Wild Rivers Indiana ShowQueen

Last edited by Tyler Stroh on 03-10-2020 at 06:27 AM

Old Post 03-10-2020 05:18 AM
Tyler Stroh is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Tyler Stroh Click here to Send Tyler Stroh a Private Message Find more posts by Tyler Stroh Add Tyler Stroh to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Coby Wright
UKC Forum Member

Re: Coby

quote:
Originally posted by yadkintar
If you don’t get a double cast win that night the next night cost you $300. I think the last time I went which was way back there it cost me $1,200 + trip entry’s gas and lodging. And I never got close to no winnings lol.

Tar

Same here, lol.

Old Post 03-10-2020 06:42 AM
Coby Wright is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Coby Wright Click here to Send Coby Wright a Private Message Visit Coby Wright's homepage! Find more posts by Coby Wright Add Coby Wright to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Coby Wright
UKC Forum Member

Re: Just thinking

quote:
Originally posted by Ed Hillenbrand
I think we have to accept the fact that the numbers we enjoyed years ago are gone. The new generation is too smart to stumble around in the dark and the old guys are losing their knees. I used to hear a coonhound on every country block. Now there are none. Hunting ground has dried up and the deer hunters are convinced that our hounds chase their trophy bucks out of the country. Our attention should be focused on youth hunts. Lots of trophys and prizes for the kids and more college scholarships.

Well said!

I was lucky enough to have my step-dad get me involved when I was a teenager and I've been hunting for 20 years now. My wife and I brainstorm ways to get youth involved all the time but I've yet to put anything into action.

Anyone near middle TN want to do something for youth PM me as I would be willing to help as much as possible. With my first son due to be born in July I'm more excited than ever to get more youth involved.

If not for my step dad I probably would have never known about coonhunting. I'd like to do my best to pass the sport along to other youth that were like me.

Old Post 03-10-2020 06:48 AM
yadkintar
Banned

Re: Re: Coby

quote:
Originally posted by Coby Wright
Same here, lol.

Coby you do know you and Clayton used to hunt with me when you were kids lol.

Robert hitt

Old Post 03-10-2020 01:38 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Coby Wright
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: Coby

quote:
Originally posted by yadkintar
Coby you do know you and Clayton used to hunt with me when you were kids lol.

Robert hitt

Yes sir I do :-)

Old Post 03-11-2020 10:00 AM
yadkintar
Banned

Coby

Glad your doing well. This kc needs you young people.

Tar

Old Post 03-11-2020 01:22 PM