UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Do any of you INTENTIONALLY have Combination Hounds!
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Do any of you INTENTIONALLY have Combination Hounds!

There are a lot of things out there that are fun to run with a hound. I know most of us stick to Coon and shake at the thought of running something else. Not talking about the accidental Possum or Diller. Not your buddies Prokie Dog.

I am talking about intentionally using your coonhound bred dogs for say also Bobcat, Yotes. Bear or even Hogs and maybe Mountain Lion. I have seen Gary on TV that visits this board have some blue dogs that probably are used on three of those animals named.

Last edited by Bruce m. Conkey on 06-10-2017 at 01:42 PM

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 06-10-2017 01:34 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MIKE CARDER
UKC Forum Member

Coon/Bear

I had a buddy in West Virginia (Raymond Louke) that ran his on bear and coon. Would rig them up bear hunting and hunt in different areas for coon. Had some decent hounds.

Phone number 270-820-5560

Old Post 06-10-2017 01:49 PM
MIKE CARDER is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MIKE CARDER Click here to Send MIKE CARDER a Private Message Click Here to Email MIKE CARDER Find more posts by MIKE CARDER Add MIKE CARDER to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hey Preacher!!!
UKC Forum Member

WAAAY back, as a teenager, I had a little walker female that was one of the best squirrel dogs around. I'd squirrel hunt her by day, and tree coons with her at night. She was by far a better squirrel dog, but also a pretty good coon dog. Her only fault at night was not getting deep enough, probably from being walk hunted after squirrels. I'd love to have another just like her!!!

...", nevertheless I am not ashamed, for I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that He is able to keep what I have committed to Him until that Day" - 2 Timothy 1:12

"Are we at last brought to such humiliating and debasing degradation that we can not be trusted with arms for our own defense?" - Patrick Henry

"Those who would give up essential Liberty,to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety" - Benjamin Franklin

Old Post 06-10-2017 02:09 PM
Hey Preacher!!! is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Hey Preacher!!! Click here to Send Hey Preacher!!! a Private Message Find more posts by Hey Preacher!!! Add Hey Preacher!!! to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Nevadacatdogs
New UKC Forum Member

My Walkers have never been on a coon. They probably won't take a coon track if it was smoking hot. Not many coons out here in the desert. I run mine on Bobcat and Lion.

Old Post 06-10-2017 02:19 PM
Nevadacatdogs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Nevadacatdogs Click here to Send Nevadacatdogs a Private Message Click Here to Email Nevadacatdogs Find more posts by Nevadacatdogs Add Nevadacatdogs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jparker
UKC Forum Member

Deer hunt and ran a few bobcats while deer hunting with them coyotes bear we deer hunt with trail hounds we find buck tracks and turn them loose on them they take off with it and jump the buck thats buck hunting i guess you would call it my dads dogs last hunting season had 21 bucks killed in front of them any dog can jump a deer but it takes a special dog to jump tracks you turn them loose on and not jump does or yearlings all the time and we coon hunt them to the smart ones you deer hunt and run deer all day and take them coon hunting at night and wont mess with nothing but a coon at night

Old Post 06-10-2017 02:34 PM
Jparker is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jparker Click here to Send Jparker a Private Message Click Here to Email Jparker Find more posts by Jparker Add Jparker to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

jparker I had one like that back in 1980. He was actually the Famous Lippers Uncle. Half Brother to Clint. As I look out my window now I see 1,000 acres of land I turned him out on back in 1980 and 15 minutes later we collected a nice 7 point in front of him. I hunted him in some of the thickest deer woods at night and he just wouldn't run them. He treed coon. I would not attempt to do that today and I didn't train him to do that. I just hunted him on what I wanted to hunt and when I wanted to hunt and he responded well.

I think the bottom line in hunting is just do it. The right dogs are smarter than you think.

Yotes are getting awful thick down here and I bad want to try running them with hounds. Just not sure I can get me a yote by day and coon by night type of hound. But I will never know till I try.

I still haven't went totally crazy. Here is how I do it. I don't wait around for a dog to be two to figure out if it is going to be a coonhound. I can spot it pretty early in them. If you have one that is not responding to the coon, I see nothing wrong in finding out what will stir its interest. You can always try the coon again in a few months. You would be surprised how much a coon dog can learn about running a track, getting stretched out behind some fast game that wants to run.

Old Post 06-10-2017 02:56 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jparker
UKC Forum Member

Yea ive even seen hounds my cousin had that he bear hunted during bear season and when the season goes out took them coon hunting in the day time in January and February and he would put a hurting on the coons here and the bear with those dogs. And yea we had hounds that would flat out run coyotes here had a dog last year that ran some while deer hunting its fun killing them they run like a rabbit in circles we are loaded with them things and turkeys even seen dogs tree a turkey once lol

Old Post 06-10-2017 04:52 PM
Jparker is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jparker Click here to Send Jparker a Private Message Click Here to Email Jparker Find more posts by Jparker Add Jparker to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
trsizemore
UKC Forum Member

dual hounds

run coons in the sumer lions and bobs in the winter

Old Post 06-10-2017 07:20 PM
trsizemore is offline Click Here to See the Profile for trsizemore Click here to Send trsizemore a Private Message Click Here to Email trsizemore Find more posts by trsizemore Add trsizemore to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
thomasg
UKC Forum Member

i bad a english female you could kill rabbits to all day long . at night she was coon only . used her twice to find wounded deer . i was a teenager then and had all the time in the world ..if a dog has any brains at all and you have the time you can get them to do about anything you desire . she would also sit stay shake play dead and fetch a ball .

Old Post 06-10-2017 09:04 PM
thomasg is offline Click Here to See the Profile for thomasg Click here to Send thomasg a Private Message Click Here to Email thomasg Find more posts by thomasg Add thomasg to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Clif Owen
UKC Forum Member

Used to have an old Walker female that was a decent squirrel dog too. The guy I bought her from said she's work cows a little. I never tried that though.

Old Post 06-11-2017 03:08 AM
Clif Owen is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Clif Owen Click here to Send Clif Owen a Private Message Click Here to Email Clif Owen Find more posts by Clif Owen Add Clif Owen to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Autumn Clements
UKC Forum Member

I've run one of the hounds I coonhunt on bobcat as well. Bobcat is the only creature I would run my coondog on, I will not intentionally run one on coyote, fox or bear.

'PR'LEAD'S MIDNITE SASSY
CFC CH Canadian GCH Multi Group Placing MBPIG BBPIG LEGACYK STANNYFIELD PRIME TIME (AKC & UKC Pointed)
BPIG MBBPIG WINDAMIRS RED LIGHT DISTRICT V AMBERLANE
LEGACYK DARE TO DREAM V CBLUES
LEGACYK WHITE AS A GHOST V CBLUES

Gone but not forgotten
GRNITECH GRCH PKC CH'PR'CLEMENTS' BLUE PRANCER

GRNITECH GRCH'PR'SPIKE'S TWILITE HOOKER
'PR'PRANCER'S GETTIN DOWN N DIRTY (PrancerxHooker)
NITECH CH’PR’BUELL’S BLUE ROCKY(Whitey x Spice)

CKC BBPIG MARIES BABY BREEZE

Old Post 06-11-2017 11:30 AM
Autumn Clements is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Autumn Clements Click here to Send Autumn Clements a Private Message Click Here to Email Autumn Clements Find more posts by Autumn Clements Add Autumn Clements to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
STROKIN
UKC Forum Member

I have had some that Coon hunted and bear hunted. Also had and have one that Coon hunts as well as squirrel hunts

Old Post 06-11-2017 02:42 PM
STROKIN is offline Click Here to See the Profile for STROKIN Click here to Send STROKIN a Private Message Click Here to Email STROKIN Find more posts by STROKIN Add STROKIN to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
trsizemore
UKC Forum Member

only once

in over 20 yrs runnin coons only treed 1 lion at night and that was with a young dog he stayed at tree till i found him 3 pm in the aftternoon so dehydrated could hardly walk i know there are bobs and lions in the river bottoms but dogs seem to know we are coonin but wait till dec and there all about the cats in the day time thanks Tim

Old Post 06-11-2017 04:15 PM
trsizemore is offline Click Here to See the Profile for trsizemore Click here to Send trsizemore a Private Message Click Here to Email trsizemore Find more posts by trsizemore Add trsizemore to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
john Duemmer
UKC Forum Member

Up here the coonhound breeds just don't have what it takes to push yotes 30 miles a day in the snow. The runnin walkers are what it takes, they are just tougher and faster.

Old Post 06-11-2017 05:20 PM
john Duemmer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for john Duemmer Click here to Send john Duemmer a Private Message Click Here to Email john Duemmer Find more posts by john Duemmer Add john Duemmer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Donnie Stevens
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Autumn Clements
I've run one of the hounds I coonhunt on bobcat as well. Bobcat is the only creature I would run my coondog on, I will not intentionally run one on coyote, fox or bear.

Now Autumn I told you guys that was a fisher track not a cat track before you ever dropped the tailgate lol.

I had a 4 yr old Gr Nt walker female that was as straight as a dog gets. Nice rig dog off the back of the truck too. She was kenneled beside my beagle one winter and we'd drive out back get the beagle go shoot some bunnies and come home and unload beagle and rabbits. Apparently my walker bitch was taking notes cause after about a month of that it warmed up enough to go coon huntin and she was striking rabbits off the back of the truck at 30 mph. I put her down three times before I believed what I was seeing lol.

Old Post 06-11-2017 05:41 PM
Donnie Stevens is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Donnie Stevens Click here to Send Donnie Stevens a Private Message Find more posts by Donnie Stevens Add Donnie Stevens to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Autumn Clements
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Donnie Stevens
Now Autumn I told you guys that was a fisher track not a cat track before you ever dropped the tailgate lol.

I actually thought of that as I wrote this but does that really count when the dog we turned out wasn't mine?!?! Mine stayed in the truck remember? Haha

'PR'LEAD'S MIDNITE SASSY
CFC CH Canadian GCH Multi Group Placing MBPIG BBPIG LEGACYK STANNYFIELD PRIME TIME (AKC & UKC Pointed)

Gone but not forgotten

Old Post 06-11-2017 08:45 PM
Autumn Clements is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Autumn Clements Click here to Send Autumn Clements a Private Message Click Here to Email Autumn Clements Find more posts by Autumn Clements Add Autumn Clements to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
George pouliott
UKC Forum Member

Dual purpose

Down here we run dog's on hogs and bear regularly and i know some guy's that use them running walkers on deer and fox and coyote in pens some do well some don't . Some dog's no matter how they are bred just don't cut it for coon hunting usually a dog that won't stick the tree makes good hog dog's . Now though I'm a coonhunter I've probably got the best armadillo dog this country has ever seen .

Old Post 06-11-2017 09:20 PM
George pouliott is offline Click Here to See the Profile for George pouliott Click here to Send George pouliott a Private Message Click Here to Email George pouliott Find more posts by George pouliott Add George pouliott to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Donnie Stevens
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Autumn Clements
I actually thought of that as I wrote this but does that really count when the dog we turned out wasn't mine?!?! Mine stayed in the truck remember? Haha

I remember two male dogs I thought one was Prancer

Old Post 06-11-2017 10:03 PM
Donnie Stevens is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Donnie Stevens Click here to Send Donnie Stevens a Private Message Find more posts by Donnie Stevens Add Donnie Stevens to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

John Dummer how do the yotes run up there. From talking to several guys up north i got the impression they covered a lot of ground and you needed a dog just like you described. I have been talking to several people down here whose deer hounds get on them going and they say they run this thick stuff in circles.

Old Post 06-11-2017 11:20 PM
HOBO
UKC Forum Member

I run mine on the bench some and then hunt them some

Ch.Swampmusic Lil Bit Sassy
Ch.Swampmusic Misty Shadow
Gr.Ch.Swampmusic Boone
Gr.Ch.Swampmusic Pride

But Looking To The Future...

Nt.Ch.Gr.Ch.Swampmusic Big Hoss

Dennis Robinson
Cell 540-295-3892

Old Post 06-12-2017 01:14 AM
HOBO is offline Click Here to See the Profile for HOBO Click here to Send HOBO a Private Message Click Here to Email HOBO Visit HOBO's homepage! Find more posts by HOBO Add HOBO to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Autumn Clements
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Donnie Stevens
I remember two male dogs I thought one was Prancer

yes we had 2 dogs with us and we only turned one loose, Prancer stayed in the truck

'PR'LEAD'S MIDNITE SASSY

Gone but not forgotten

Old Post 06-12-2017 01:52 AM
ma taylor
UKC Forum Member

combination dogs

when I was younger I had a half feist half bird dog who would hunt anything tree rats rabbits point birds tree turkeys anything but a deer hunt all day then grab a light and tree coons and opussoms all night when I would get off the school bus he would be waiting and before I got my gun he would be treed now I'm lucky if my hounds will chase a biscut

Old Post 06-13-2017 02:54 AM
ma taylor is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ma taylor Click here to Send ma taylor a Private Message Click Here to Email ma taylor Find more posts by ma taylor Add ma taylor to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Went out this morning trying to find a Yote track. Found several but they each traveled several miles right down a road and never could find where they went in the woods. My coon hunting soul won't let me cut a dog right down a road. I get on them for running roads. lol

Old Post 06-13-2017 03:15 PM
John B.Dalton
UKC Forum Member

Great topic...have a cur dog that hunts moles in my yard by day,point him to the tree line and he will tree a squirrel then for fun send him down the creek on a dark dark night he will tree a coon..Is that something close to what you are talking about??

Old Post 06-13-2017 10:09 PM
John B.Dalton is offline Click Here to See the Profile for John B.Dalton Click here to Send John B.Dalton a Private Message Visit John B.Dalton's homepage! Find more posts by John B.Dalton Add John B.Dalton to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cry Tough Blues
UKC Forum Member

Re: Do any of you INTENTIONALLY have Combination Hounds!

quote:
Originally posted by Bruce m. Conkey
There are a lot of things out there that are fun to run with a hound. I know most of us stick to Coon and shake at the thought of running something else. Not talking about the accidental Possum or Diller. Not your buddies Prokie Dog.

I am talking about intentionally using your coonhound bred dogs for say also Bobcat, Yotes. Bear or even Hogs and maybe Mountain Lion. I have seen Gary on TV that visits this board have some blue dogs that probably are used on three of those animals named.

Yep deer and fox go hand in hand here in the south

Old Post 06-14-2017 12:49 AM
Cry Tough Blues is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cry Tough Blues Click here to Send Cry Tough Blues a Private Message Find more posts by Cry Tough Blues Add Cry Tough Blues to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote