UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Coon hunt with air gun.
Pages (3): « 1 [2] 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
nitehunter2004
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Larry Atherton
I wouldn't recommend them on a big northern boar coon. I have seen too many that didn't flinch at a direct hit with .22 rim fire ammunition. In fact, I am so picky about my ammo I only use one specific brand and type.

One shot One kill.

GrNtCh Big Money
GrNtCh North Mt Mort
T&R’s Homemade Trouble

GrNtChGrCh Homemade Josie.
Homemade Tank.
GrNtCh Hardwood Bean (SEMEN)
GrNtCh Abbotts Bawling Rebel (SEMEN)
GrNtChGrCh Tj's Stylish Lipper (SEMEN)
GrNtCh Nite Life Pay Dirt (SEMEN)
GrNtCh PKC Ch Poison Smoke (SEMEN)

HomeMade Kennels
Newton N.C

2010 SETWA BREEDER OF THE YEAR!!
(828) 302-5480

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 10-12-2018 07:50 PM
nitehunter2004 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nitehunter2004 Click here to Send nitehunter2004 a Private Message Find more posts by nitehunter2004 Add nitehunter2004 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
high ridge
UKC Forum Member

My experience with air gun...

Was pleasure hunting in Ohio. Guy had one. Worked great. I wanted one.

Next morning get up and go to Fin Fur and Feather in Ashland Oh.

Me and a couple WVa hillibillies a Va hillbilly and a Tn hillbilly are standing at the rack checking them out.
I was talking about how quiet it was so I get the bright idea to cock it and pull trigger

One important thing to remember is not have the muzzle towards the floor

When I pulled trigger it sounded like a cannon. People started screaming some fell to the floor.

Obviously we were asked to leave the place of business LOL

Old Post 10-13-2018 07:13 PM
high ridge is offline Click Here to See the Profile for high ridge Click here to Send high ridge a Private Message Click Here to Email high ridge Find more posts by high ridge Add high ridge to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Billy Carter

I can imagine that scene! Lol. Dave

Old Post 10-13-2018 07:17 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nitehunter2004
UKC Forum Member

This NC hillbilly would have loved to been there.

GrNtCh Big Money
GrNtCh North Mt Mort
T&R’s Homemade Trouble

GrNtChGrCh Homemade Josie.
Homemade Tank.
GrNtCh Hardwood Bean (SEMEN)
GrNtCh Abbotts Bawling Rebel (SEMEN)
GrNtChGrCh Tj's Stylish Lipper (SEMEN)
GrNtCh Nite Life Pay Dirt (SEMEN)
GrNtCh PKC Ch Poison Smoke (SEMEN)

HomeMade Kennels
Newton N.C

2010 SETWA BREEDER OF THE YEAR!!
(828) 302-5480

Old Post 10-13-2018 07:18 PM
nitehunter2004 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nitehunter2004 Click here to Send nitehunter2004 a Private Message Find more posts by nitehunter2004 Add nitehunter2004 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Now that is a big coon.

Old Post 10-13-2018 07:23 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Like all guns, shot placement is the key to a clean kill. Dave

Old Post 10-14-2018 10:38 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

What brand and model air gun is in the picture with the coon? Is it a break barrel or a pcp?

Old Post 10-15-2018 12:10 AM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
treedog69
UKC Forum Member

air gun

Its a ruger black hawk elite break barrel 177 cal bout 1200 fps+.it's a rocker.that's a high country coon to bad to the Leroy Brown bone!!!! He lived at 6000 feet of pure hell and was king in his jungle but that's a story that will be written....

Old Post 10-15-2018 07:56 AM
treedog69 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for treedog69 Click here to Send treedog69 a Private Message Find more posts by treedog69 Add treedog69 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Larry Atherton
UKC Forum Member

One shoot one kill is not the bases for reliability. Bring that pellet gun up after a long season Oct 1st- January 31st, then lets brag about it.

I killed a absolute pile of critters back when i was a kid with my pellet gun, but that doesn't mean i would use one today.

Yes, pellet guns are better today, and more expensive, but that doesn't make them the best tool, or even a good tool for the job.

I can understand using them down south. The first few coons I seen down there I would have sworn they were squirrels in the tree.

Aim small miss small

Old Post 10-15-2018 06:47 PM
Larry Atherton is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Larry Atherton Click here to Send Larry Atherton a Private Message Click Here to Email Larry Atherton Visit Larry Atherton's homepage! Find more posts by Larry Atherton Add Larry Atherton to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
treedog69
UKC Forum Member

lmaooooo

Someone must need a nap.not bragging at all stateing the facts Jack...never did I say it's the best method nor did anyone else.it's more sporty in my opinion and I dig it I've killed over 200 coon with it in some of the roughest country on the planet and it takes and makes one he'll of a hound..oh off to bed I go momma said it's nap time

Old Post 10-15-2018 11:47 PM
treedog69 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for treedog69 Click here to Send treedog69 a Private Message Find more posts by treedog69 Add treedog69 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Andy212
UKC Forum Member

I’ve have hunted with a 22 a 17 and a 22 cal air rifle personally they all worked just fine I mainly switch back and forth depending on if my kids go with me yeah the air rifle is nice and quiet but odds are you will have a dog or two treed anyway leaves on I’ll take a 22lr leaves off I’ll gladly take an air rifle one pointer that I experienced which I’m sure has been fixed by now is an exposed spring on the air rifle that can easily become dirty but that’s any gun

Old Post 10-16-2018 02:33 AM
Andy212 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Andy212 Click here to Send Andy212 a Private Message Click Here to Email Andy212 Find more posts by Andy212 Add Andy212 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Travis O.
UKC Forum Member

I have a Gamo whisper fusion mach 1, 22 cal. It shoots a half inch group at 25 yards, it's very quiet and not heavy at all. It knocks a coon out with no problem but a head shot seems to be best. I've had more fun shooting this Gamo. I highly recommend this particular air rifle.

NT CH CROOKED RIVER TWO TONE ZEB
NT CH OLIPHANTS DBL BARREL SHOTGUN
GR NT CH CROOKED RIVER RED TURKEY HTX
NT Ch CROOKED RIVER RED SASSY HTX
CROOKED RIVER REDTICK ROWDY

Old Post 12-30-2018 12:11 PM
Travis O. is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Travis O. Click here to Send Travis O. a Private Message Click Here to Email Travis O. Find more posts by Travis O. Add Travis O. to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Karl w.
UKC Forum Member

.25 cal m rod

I use a benjamin maurader .25 cal 43.6 grain pellet at 1100 fps. I charge the chamber to 3000 psi and get 16 full power shots before i must recharge. Its bolt action eith 8 round mag. I the warm months its a killer. Head shot yotes at 60 yds and have killed squirrel and pidgeon at 100 + yds. Cold weather it is terrable. The psi constantly drops and results in underpowered shot. Also its as loud as a .22.

Old Post 12-30-2018 03:24 PM
Karl w. is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Karl w. Click here to Send Karl w. a Private Message Find more posts by Karl w. Add Karl w. to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Karl w.
UKC Forum Member

Pellet technology

Also pellets have com a long way. I use a solid pellet that will cut straight thru a pine 1x a 70 yds and i use a predator polymag with a polymer tip and it flattens out to the size off a dime in the same 1x at 50yds with no exit.thats 25ish foot pounds of energy tranfered straight to the target. Also 1.5 inch groups at 100 yds. On a calm day. Must have a mildot scope and always know the distance of the shot. Alot of climb and drop to any pellet rifle.

Old Post 12-30-2018 04:08 PM
Karl w. is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Karl w. Click here to Send Karl w. a Private Message Find more posts by Karl w. Add Karl w. to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Doug Robinson
UKC Forum Member

I agree with Larry

quote:
Originally posted by Larry Atherton
One shoot one kill is not the bases for reliability. Bring that pellet gun up after a long season Oct 1st- January 31st, then lets brag about it.

I killed a absolute pile of critters back when i was a kid with my pellet gun, but that doesn't mean i would use one today.

Yes, pellet guns are better today, and more expensive, but that doesn't make them the best tool, or even a good tool for the job.

I can understand using them down south. The first few coons I seen down there I would have sworn they were squirrels in the tree.

In my opinion it all depends on whether you want the reliability,repeatability and knock down power of the 22LR or the fun of using an air rifle that requires a more exacting shot placement. I have an old Benjamin my Dad left me and my son has a Gamo, I have a ball shooting red squirrels off the bird feeder from the house window lol! I coon hunt with a Ruger 10/22 and you could never convince me to start carrying a heavy, single shot air rifle as we hunt big woods and not worried about the shot noise. And on a windy night with a coon 100 feet up top a big northern Hemlock I will take the heavier 22 rifle load. Sure do love plinking with the air rifle for rats or squirrels tho it is fun.

Oh and treedog69 just because someone has a different opinion doesn't mean they need a nap, you certainly have your opinions. If you like the airgun for coon hunting great. Larry Atherton is a very knowlagble respected man he has forgotten more about coon hunting than most will ever know. So Im with Larry on this one That's a fact Jack LOL!

Past Home of:
GRNITECH FCH GRCH ROBINSON'S SILVERTONE BLUSPECK HTX DNA-P
GRNITECH GRCH PKC CH ROBINSON'S RED LINDSAY
NITECH GRFCH GRWCH GRCH ROBINSON'S CROOKTAIL KATE
GRNITECH GRCH ROBINSON'S CIDERHOUSE LULU
NITECH GRCH GRFCH GRWCH RED RIDGE'S SUPER SHOCK Z HTX2
NITECH GRCH ROBINSON'S OATKA VALLEY ANNIE (BLUSPECK DAUGHTER)
NITECH GRCH ROBINSON'S JJ THUNDER SUE

Current
CH PR ROBINSON'S OATKA VALLEY JUNEBUG - (GRNITECH PKC CH RIVER BOTTOM'S CRACKER JACK X NITECH GRCH ROBINSON'S OATKA VALLEY ANNIE)

Last edited by Doug Robinson on 12-31-2018 at 02:12 AM

Old Post 12-31-2018 02:08 AM
Doug Robinson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Doug Robinson Click here to Send Doug Robinson a Private Message Click Here to Email Doug Robinson Find more posts by Doug Robinson Add Doug Robinson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
treedog69
UKC Forum Member

air guns

Oh Doug your right about opinions but the post never asked for opinions it asked for facts about air gun hunting and said no opinions just facts so he hi jacked the post by interjecting his opinion a lot like you.it's for( people who hunt coon with airguns)so someone else may need a nap as well.plus air guns have come along way there nothing like an old air gun so unless you hunt coon with them you were asked not to give your opinion.

Old Post 12-31-2018 05:06 AM
treedog69
UKC Forum Member

air guns

And that's the facts Jack......all either one of you stated were opinions not at all what the post was about. facts....

Old Post 12-31-2018 05:23 AM
treedog69
UKC Forum Member

air guns

And fact is for all you and larry know about coon hunting neither one of you know anything about the post which is coon hunting with an air gun.so one might want to consider for all you know there is a trillion times that.... That you could learn.just my opinion. I must be a dumb turd

Old Post 12-31-2018 07:43 AM
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Here is a fact that I need explained. No questions about a pellet rile being cool and totally capable of harvesting a coon. My concern is all the other varmints I run in to at night that my gun protects me from. Snakes, Gators, Hogs. Not to mention the bears roaming around and the yotes looking for dinner. I would feel pretty stupid about hunting watching my dog cross a body of water and seeing a gator headed his way and all I had was a pellet gun to defend the dog with.
I agree one would be all I ever needed for coon. Its all the extras that go on out there that makes me feel more comfortable with a rifle that I can get off a lot of shots in a few seconds with.

Old Post 12-31-2018 01:11 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Travis O.
UKC Forum Member

Bruce, it sounds like you need to move! Here in Missouri the only other threat I have to worry about is the skeeters and ticks. The air rifle works good on both of those! Lol

NT CH CROOKED RIVER TWO TONE ZEB
NT CH OLIPHANTS DBL BARREL SHOTGUN
GR NT CH CROOKED RIVER RED TURKEY HTX
NT Ch CROOKED RIVER RED SASSY HTX
CROOKED RIVER REDTICK ROWDY

Old Post 12-31-2018 03:29 PM
Travis O. is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Travis O. Click here to Send Travis O. a Private Message Click Here to Email Travis O. Find more posts by Travis O. Add Travis O. to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
treedog69
UKC Forum Member

Now you went way off track of the post Bruce the content of your reply I think should have it's own thread ...it was olny facts of air gun coon hunting....if I was going to stop a bear,gator,or hog from eating my dog I sure as hell wouldn't be shooting a 22 most air guns are equal to a 22 and some have a ten round mag so I'm thinking that another nap may be needed.I have black,grizzly bear,wolf,yotes,lion,elk,moose,buffalo, snakes,badgers,wolverine,bobcat,lynx,but fact is thats not what the post was about ........

Old Post 12-31-2018 06:11 PM
treedog69
UKC Forum Member

Now you went way off track of the post Bruce the content of your reply I think should have it's own thread ...it was olny facts of air gun coon hunting....if I was going to stop a bear,gator,or hog from eating my dog I sure as hell wouldn't be shooting a 22 most air guns are equal to a 22 and some have a ten round mag so I'm thinking that another nap may be needed.I have black,grizzly bear,wolf,yotes,lion,elk,moose,buffalo, snakes,badgers,wolverine,bobcat,lynx,but fact is thats not what the post was about ........

Old Post 12-31-2018 06:11 PM
Doug Robinson
UKC Forum Member

Re: air guns

quote:
Originally posted by treedog69
And fact is for all you and larry know about coon hunting neither one of you know anything about the post which is coon hunting with an air gun.so one might want to consider for all you know there is a trillion times that.... That you could learn.just my opinion. I must be a dumb turd

Now now treeedog personal crap gets these posts deleted. And your personal opinion was not fact I just hate to see a god post asking a good question get side tracked and deleted.

The fact is Tim politely posted:

"Ok, who hunts with a air gun? I hunted with a guy last week that had one and I was impressed, I will own one this week, I’m doing some research but think I like the Umarex Gauntlet .22 cal. It shoots 1000fps Any personal info (not hearsay) you have fill free to post. Thanks.
T.Osborne."

So both Larry, Bruce and myself answered Tim's question as asked with our opinions and facts, nobody hi-jacked the post. We don't live under a rock, we all have shot and hunted with airguns and we all have seen the YouTube video of Keith Warren killing a hog with an airgun. Yes they are powerful now and I own two, but that doesn't mean we would hunt coon with one. I tend to trust the guys with a posting history on here that have shown level headed opinions and years of experience. Please be more considerate and remember there are other opinions than yours and a lot of young folks read these posts.

Sorry Tim, hope you find a good airgun, enjoy.

Past Home of:
GRNITECH FCH GRCH ROBINSON'S SILVERTONE BLUSPECK HTX DNA-P
GRNITECH GRCH PKC CH ROBINSON'S RED LINDSAY
NITECH GRFCH GRWCH GRCH ROBINSON'S CROOKTAIL KATE
GRNITECH GRCH ROBINSON'S CIDERHOUSE LULU
NITECH GRCH GRFCH GRWCH RED RIDGE'S SUPER SHOCK Z HTX2
NITECH GRCH ROBINSON'S OATKA VALLEY ANNIE (BLUSPECK DAUGHTER)
NITECH GRCH ROBINSON'S JJ THUNDER SUE

Current
CH PR ROBINSON'S OATKA VALLEY JUNEBUG - (GRNITECH PKC CH RIVER BOTTOM'S CRACKER JACK X NITECH GRCH ROBINSON'S OATKA VALLEY ANNIE)

Old Post 12-31-2018 09:47 PM
Doug Robinson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Doug Robinson Click here to Send Doug Robinson a Private Message Click Here to Email Doug Robinson Find more posts by Doug Robinson Add Doug Robinson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
treedog69
UKC Forum Member

air guns

Now now doug my post has nothing to do with personal opinion it 100 percent fact .I've hunted the last three years with that air gun posted at the top of page 2 and I have taken about 250 + coon with it.it may not be the best way or anybody's favorite including me but facts of hunting coons with air I do have. And that's in thin coon in the Rocky mountains.theres another fact I've found you can roll dung in sugar it's still dung lol.

Old Post 01-01-2019 12:26 AM
Joe Moore
UKC Forum Member

You have killed 250+ coon in two years in "thin coon"?

-2004 PKC Youth World Hunt, 3rd place
-2005 UKC PA State Overall Show Champion
-2007 UKC Youh National Hunt, 3rd place

-PKC Silver Ch, GRNTCH 'pr' Tree Stalkins Stylish Striker

Old Post 01-01-2019 01:49 PM
Joe Moore is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Joe Moore Click here to Send Joe Moore a Private Message Click Here to Email Joe Moore Visit Joe Moore's homepage! Find more posts by Joe Moore Add Joe Moore to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote