UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Whats the Problem??
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
bluetikman
UKC Forum Member

Whats the Problem??

I got young dog just turned 2 and has had no issue treeing coon and normaly when parks you expect to see a coon. And bad thing is just other night treed 5-6 singles but last two nights has just looked plum stupid like he can't buy a coon. Also the trees he been making or just seems it to me they have vines in them. The dog is hunted hard i would say in last 30+ nights maybe off 5. But dog was very accurate to me to now looking like garbage.

'Pr' Mabel's Treeing Blue Jay (bluetick)
GrCh 'Pr' Josh's Stylish Hitman 2nd in ukc (walker)
Ch 'Pr' Hard Knocking Deamon (walker)

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 09-06-2020 09:16 AM
bluetikman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bluetikman Click here to Send bluetikman a Private Message Find more posts by bluetikman Add bluetikman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Hard to ask these questions without sounding disrespectful or negative. Sorry if they sound that way but this is what I would ask if we were talking and face to face so you could see my concern and wanting to help.

You have kept track of how many nights you have hunted and how many coon the dog has treed or not treed. Lets me ask if the dog has changed in any other way. Either around the house or while loading or unloading or just in his hunting style. Any other indication of perhaps a physical problem in the dogs actions, beside binging off with his hunting ability.

Sounds like a nice hound. Has a weather change taken place the last few nights. More rain than before or maybe an average of a few degrees hotter with no rain. You hunting the same locations.

If noting in the environment has changed and there has been no change in the dogs behavior or looks. For now you can probably only chalk it up to a couple of bad nights where the moon and the stars didn't line up. But if this is a start of some illness. Keep a close eye on any physical or mental change when not hunting. His eating habits also. Keep a close eye on his coat/hair for becoming dull or perhaps more corse. Best wishes on the dog coming back to performing for you.

Old Post 09-06-2020 11:08 AM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pbhoward10
UKC Forum Member

Acorns?

im also from seKY, and this may have nothing to do with it but i have noticed my deer cams reflecting that most coons in my area are stirring very late the last couple weeks. i guess due to the acorn mast coming in coons seem to be stirring very early in the morning, maybe he is having a hard time finding a decent track? Hope you get him figured out

Old Post 09-06-2020 02:05 PM
pbhoward10 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pbhoward10 Click here to Send pbhoward10 a Private Message Click Here to Email pbhoward10 Find more posts by pbhoward10 Add pbhoward10 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Was building fence yesterday and saw a mother coon And 3 kittens come down to the pond and get a drink it was 93 degrees at 6:00. Coons don’t stick to being nocturnal during tuff times they have to eat and drink. I have been waiting till about 11:00 at night to leave the house and been having more luck.

Tar

Old Post 09-06-2020 02:14 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cory Highfill
UKC Forum Member

Without knowing the whole story, or being able to pin down an external issue (weather etc...) I'd suggest putting him up for a week or two. May be as simple as needing a break. I've always felt like that works better than trying to push through an issue, seems like that can make it worse.

Old Post 09-06-2020 02:14 PM
Cory Highfill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cory Highfill Click here to Send Cory Highfill a Private Message Click Here to Email Cory Highfill Find more posts by Cory Highfill Add Cory Highfill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bluetikman
UKC Forum Member

Yeh the weather has changed been getting some rain and has cooled down quite a bit but I mean he has been hunted in about everything but just dont see it as a excuse dog has went from treeing 7-8 coon out of 10 to treeing like 5 blanks in a row.

Old Post 09-06-2020 02:33 PM
bluetikman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bluetikman Click here to Send bluetikman a Private Message Find more posts by bluetikman Add bluetikman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Maybe he is going through puberty and has something else on his mind.

Old Post 09-06-2020 02:52 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
larry geesling
UKC Forum Member

on these blank tree he has made is he working track or just falling treed?

Old Post 09-06-2020 03:02 PM
larry geesling is offline Click Here to See the Profile for larry geesling Click here to Send larry geesling a Private Message Click Here to Email larry geesling Find more posts by larry geesling Add larry geesling to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bluetikman
UKC Forum Member

He never has been a trailing type he just falls treed on all his tracks.

Old Post 09-06-2020 03:13 PM
GCH Viper
UKC Forum Member

Lay him up

He’s young. Sometimes you have to let the dog tell you how they need to be hunted. If he’s been hunted that hard and was doing that good, it won’t hurt a thing to lay him up a week or two.
I don’t claim to know it all. Just speaking from personal experience on this one.

Old Post 09-07-2020 07:08 AM
GCH Viper is offline Click Here to See the Profile for GCH Viper Click here to Send GCH Viper a Private Message Find more posts by GCH Viper Add GCH Viper to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
houndsound
UKC Forum Member

Two is still pretty young, but a good bit of advice I got was this; When your dog looks great and amazing, conditions were just perfect. When your dog looks terrible, conditions were awful for that dog. Don't get frustrated- just know something changed in the scenting or opportunity that is not as ideal for that hound as it was.

Every hound has conditions that match up with their abilities, and one's that do not.

The few that can rise above any conditions are those once in a lifetime hounds I suspect.

Old Post 09-07-2020 11:33 AM
houndsound is offline Click Here to See the Profile for houndsound Click here to Send houndsound a Private Message Click Here to Email houndsound Find more posts by houndsound Add houndsound to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkinriver
UKC Forum Member

Gonna make a broad statement and not pointing fingers. Sometimes it's the dog and sometimes it's the man. One of the biggest problems I've seen is the coon squaller. I've watched a lot of men even after seeing the coon just keep trying to blow the reed out of the squaller. Just making a coon wilder and harder to tree. Then pull the dog off and send him on after all the coons in a mile radius have heard the squaller and headed for home or another zip code. Gets worse if hunting the same ground regular and even on buckets. If you can find the coon without the squaller just pat old Rover on the head and hunt on. Keeps your coon easy to tree.

Old Post 09-07-2020 02:40 PM
yadkinriver is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkinriver Click here to Send yadkinriver a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkinriver Visit yadkinriver's homepage! Find more posts by yadkinriver Add yadkinriver to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jmiller85
UKC Forum Member

See this with high power tree dogs with the squirrels start cutting

Old Post 09-08-2020 01:11 AM
Jmiller85 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jmiller85 Click here to Send Jmiller85 a Private Message Click Here to Email Jmiller85 Find more posts by Jmiller85 Add Jmiller85 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

Re: .

quote:
Originally posted by Jmiller85
See this with high power tree dogs with the squirrels start cutting
This could be the answer. Or the poodle next door might be in heat and his brain is scrambled.

Old Post 09-08-2020 01:50 AM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Re: Re: .

quote:
Originally posted by shadinc
This could be the answer. Or the poodle next door might be in heat and his brain is scrambled.

Or it’s in his genetics and it’s just the way he is going to be no matter what you do.

Tar

Old Post 09-08-2020 01:53 AM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bluetikman
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: .

[QUOTE]Originally posted by yadkintar
[B]Or it’s in his genetics and it’s just the way he is going to be no matter what you do.

Dog don't go from being accurate to just treeing slick out of the blue there is a reason but its not genetic

Old Post 09-08-2020 02:53 AM
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

bluetikman

Lol. Just consider the source of who posts what and let it go. Opinions are just that, nothing more or nothing less, most are worthless. Dogs are just dogs, for example, my hunting buddy and I are hunting a pretty decent young dog we recently purchased, he has been very accurate, but tonight he treed slick up a bunch of pawpaw trees. Why, no one knows, they just use their nose and brain, but like most folks, they make mistakes. Young dogs are usually very accurate, but can be ruined if handled improperly. Don't encourage your dog at any tree unless you see the coon. Dave

Old Post 09-08-2020 07:52 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Re: Re: Re: Re: .

quote:
Originally posted by bluetikman
[QUOTE]Originally posted by yadkintar
[B]Or it’s in his genetics and it’s just the way he is going to be no matter what you do.

Dog don't go from being accurate to just treeing slick out of the blue there is a reason but its not genetic

I can tell you from experience a line of walkers that at about 2 1/2 yrs old past will be one minute the best you ever unsnapped to wood monsters over night that cannot be fixed. I am talking my dogs are more less running dogs that tree and pretty accurate. But I mixed that stuff in and oh my goodness !! I tried to fix it if you just didn’t care if you seen a coon or not they sounded right dropped in got struck honest worked the track just right got treed man it was enjoyable!! But 22 trees in a row with the leafs off no coon not even one in shining didstance lol. I have had several like that out of others crosses and got it narrowed down to the dog I think is causing the slick treeing and if a dog is out tracking them they pull up jealous treed. If you would like to visit I will pm you my phone number I have worked a lot with this problem.

I know the heat here is wearing dogs out they just get tired and it’s not fun no more and when I don’t feel good you don’t get 100% from me.

Tar

Last edited by yadkintar on 09-08-2020 at 12:43 PM

Old Post 09-08-2020 12:39 PM
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

So often it's a man made issue. If he was an accurate dog once then the odds are to take a hard look in the mirror. It could be a great deal of things from who your hunting him with to how your hunting style is. Sometimes to get change you have to ask yourself how important it is to you.
I have friends that always have accurate dogs and I have friends that never have accurate dogs.

Old Post 09-08-2020 02:18 PM
pamjohnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pamjohnson Click here to Send pamjohnson a Private Message Click Here to Email pamjohnson Find more posts by pamjohnson Add pamjohnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by pamjohnson
So often it's a man made issue. If he was an accurate dog once then the odds are to take a hard look in the mirror. It could be a great deal of things from who your hunting him with to how your hunting style is. Sometimes to get change you have to ask yourself how important it is to you.
I have friends that always have accurate dogs and I have friends that never have accurate dogs.

I agree with this comment, I know plenty who have average dogs and a couple who always have a coondog. The handler plays a big big big role in the dogs performance. Dave

Last edited by Dave Richards on 09-09-2020 at 12:25 AM

Old Post 09-08-2020 09:56 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
houndsound
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Dave Richards
I agree with this comment, I know plenty who have average dogs and a couple who always have a corndog. The handler plays a big big big role in the dogs performance. Dave

Now I'm hungry for a corn dog 😅

Old Post 09-08-2020 09:57 PM
houndsound is offline Click Here to See the Profile for houndsound Click here to Send houndsound a Private Message Click Here to Email houndsound Find more posts by houndsound Add houndsound to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Houndsound

Lol. Thank spell check and laziness on my part for the corndog, it should have been coon dog. Dave

Old Post 09-09-2020 12:24 AM