UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Buying a dog is a circus these days
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
coonhunter1287
UKC Forum Member

Buying a dog is a circus these days

Purchasing dogs is a circus anymore. Everyone selling a dog thinks if it will tree a coon it should be worth $6000.00. Everyone says they will show in the woods but when push comes to shove they always have an excuse why they can't and try to claim someone is coming so you better buy off the chain. Internet hunters and blowhards call people and say the dog is sold when they know they won't be buying knocking other people out of buying. Had a guy tell me today he would show a dog in the woods but it was suppose to be some rain tonight so it would cost extra to go with it. Coonhunters are worse than dealing with car salesman as far as being crooks and bullcrapppers.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 06-22-2017 08:02 PM
coonhunter1287 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for coonhunter1287 Click here to Send coonhunter1287 a Private Message Click Here to Email coonhunter1287 Find more posts by coonhunter1287 Add coonhunter1287 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

I have learned that breeding my own is way better than trying to buy pups...cost more but the end results are way better...

Old Post 06-22-2017 08:28 PM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Stan Ferrell
UKC Forum Member

It is easy to buy a dog, It is way harder to sell a dog.

Old Post 06-22-2017 08:57 PM
Stan Ferrell is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Stan Ferrell Click here to Send Stan Ferrell a Private Message Find more posts by Stan Ferrell Add Stan Ferrell to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
johnny reb
UKC Forum Member

I believe I would have walked away like you did.

Old Post 06-22-2017 09:14 PM
johnny reb is offline Click Here to See the Profile for johnny reb Click here to Send johnny reb a Private Message Click Here to Email johnny reb Find more posts by johnny reb Add johnny reb to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
S.Davis
UKC Forum Member

The dogs are purt high but the pups have blown my mind I seen some that's down right stupid pricey

Old Post 06-22-2017 09:24 PM
S.Davis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for S.Davis Click here to Send S.Davis a Private Message Click Here to Email S.Davis Find more posts by S.Davis Add S.Davis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
S.Davis
UKC Forum Member

Some pups are.high as dogs

Old Post 06-22-2017 09:26 PM
S.Davis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for S.Davis Click here to Send S.Davis a Private Message Click Here to Email S.Davis Find more posts by S.Davis Add S.Davis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
H.W. Moore
UKC Forum Member

Selling a dog is way worse! I can find a pup anytime for $200-$300 same as they were 20 years ago.

Old Post 06-22-2017 09:47 PM
H.W. Moore is offline Click Here to See the Profile for H.W. Moore Click here to Send H.W. Moore a Private Message Click Here to Email H.W. Moore Find more posts by H.W. Moore Add H.W. Moore to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
S.Davis
UKC Forum Member

Yea some aren't bad but some are a lot more than others

Old Post 06-22-2017 10:18 PM
coonhunter1287
UKC Forum Member

I'm not talking about pups but I have seen some recently for $2000 smh... I am talking about ones treeing coons. Used to you could find a consistent coon treer for a couple thousand now it's "Started hound has treed several coons
$5000 and you must buy off chain on my word."

Old Post 06-22-2017 10:41 PM
coonhunter1287 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for coonhunter1287 Click here to Send coonhunter1287 a Private Message Click Here to Email coonhunter1287 Find more posts by coonhunter1287 Add coonhunter1287 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cyoung
UKC Forum Member

If i got a dog priced for 5000 ill show it any night any were u pick the spot

Old Post 06-22-2017 11:02 PM
Cyoung is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cyoung Click here to Send Cyoung a Private Message Click Here to Email Cyoung Find more posts by Cyoung Add Cyoung to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JiM
UKC Forum Member

Re: Buying a dog is a circus these days

quote:
Originally posted by coonhunter1287
Purchasing dogs is a circus anymore. Everyone selling a dog thinks if it will tree a coon it should be worth $6000.00. Everyone says they will show in the woods but when push comes to shove they always have an excuse why they can't and try to claim someone is coming so you better buy off the chain. Internet hunters and blowhards call people and say the dog is sold when they know they won't be buying knocking other people out of buying. Had a guy tell me today he would show a dog in the woods but it was suppose to be some rain tonight so it would cost extra to go with it. Coonhunters are worse than dealing with car salesman as far as being crooks and bullcrapppers.

These days??? The pricing may be different but relatively speaking, this is not a bit diffefent today than it was 30 years ago. Buyer beware because those dog jockeys make their living on that sucker that is born every day.

AKC/UKC GrNtCh Sizemore's Timber Jam Jessi 12/21/04 to 1/21/2011 R.I.P.

Old Post 06-22-2017 11:26 PM
JiM is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JiM Click here to Send JiM a Private Message Click Here to Email JiM Find more posts by JiM Add JiM to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

Yep...beware of the dog jocks...and then there are those that really think they have good dogs for sale...

Usually the good dogs aren't for sale...it is the second rate and third rate dogs that are...those are enough reasons to breed my own...

Old Post 06-22-2017 11:39 PM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
swamp1
Banned

Re: Re: Buying a dog is a circus these days

quote:
Originally posted by JiM
These days??? The pricing may be different but relatively speaking, this is not a bit diffefent today than it was 30 years ago. Buyer beware because those dog jockeys make their living on that sucker that is born every day.
and it ain't just dog jockeys doing it.some well known big name kennels been doing it for yrs. One just won a big hunt that was bought for around$1500 ,after that sold for 5 figures, 10 times more, Lol. Man hurried up and brought it back.lol.

Old Post 06-23-2017 02:35 AM
swamp1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for swamp1 Click here to Send swamp1 a Private Message Find more posts by swamp1 Add swamp1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
swamp1
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by Reuben
Yep...beware of the dog jocks...and then there are those that really think they have good dogs for sale...

Usually the good dogs aren't for sale...it is the second rate and third rate dogs that are...those are enough reasons to breed my own...

x2, that's why they selling them for 5,6,7, 000. There's a sucker out there and they know it.then it's for sale again, sometimes. Lol.

Old Post 06-23-2017 04:05 AM
swamp1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for swamp1 Click here to Send swamp1 a Private Message Find more posts by swamp1 Add swamp1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ole hoss
UKC Forum Member

I keep young dogs for sale but the thing is usually after they spend 10 mins on the phone with me telling them every bad thing the dog has done they don't even want to come look at it. Then they call some slick talker that makes his $hit sound like roses and they go buy his and are unhappy. People say they want the truth but I'm here to tell u they don't want it. Cause the truth is they all have holes some have more than others and what's holes to me maybe what shines to you. I'm very picky when it comes to a dog. I got one now I've turn down $$,$$$ for and he's not what I'd call a GOOD one but he's tolerable to me and thats why I've kept him. Any pup or dog I have for sale you can come look at day or night cause it will be the only way u buy him and most the time they always say the dog is better than I said it was but to me it ain't!!

Old Post 06-23-2017 05:00 AM
ole hoss is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ole hoss Click here to Send ole hoss a Private Message Click Here to Email ole hoss Find more posts by ole hoss Add ole hoss to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
S.Davis
UKC Forum Member

The female I hunt now is the best money spent on any dog I have ever bought and didn't break the bank lol I'm happy with her and I'm a hard man to please also

Old Post 06-23-2017 12:10 PM
coonhunter1287
UKC Forum Member

Same here. One I bought last year from an old country coonhunter that I still have I bought as a 1 year old for $1500. I knew some places close so the guy said leave the money and take him a few drops. I took him and treed 5 singles within a matter of an hour. Coming 3 and he is still clicking with coons every night. Won tons of casts and beat some tough competition but i just got lucky on that deal

Old Post 06-23-2017 02:36 PM
S.Davis
UKC Forum Member

It don't hurt to have a little luck.i just don't see paying thousands of dollars on a dog just cause it's bred (GD)

Old Post 06-23-2017 02:40 PM
JustinH23
UKC Forum Member

Shoot, I guess I ought to put mine up for sale. Sounds like he's worth 3,000. Who says their isn't money in coon hunting?!

Proud member of the Deer Creek Cartel

Founding Member of the BSKC. Making coon hunting great again.

Home of:

`PR` B$C Clifford (BoonexCopper)
`PR` Johnson Branch Stub (GitXCree)

Old Post 06-23-2017 03:40 PM
JustinH23 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JustinH23 Click here to Send JustinH23 a Private Message Click Here to Email JustinH23 Find more posts by JustinH23 Add JustinH23 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
swamp1
Banned

Luck is good but smart is better.I've had people try to give me dogs they paid thousands for.Lol. always remember, all because someone paid a lot for something don't mean it worth a lot. That's one thing that happened I believe, breeding them $2500 brood dogs.

Last edited by swamp1 on 06-24-2017 at 04:54 AM

Old Post 06-24-2017 01:10 AM
wjoey
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by S.Davis
The female I hunt now is the best money spent on any dog I have ever bought and didn't break the bank lol I'm happy with her and I'm a hard man to please also
You talking about Bell?

UKC PREFORMANCE SIRE Nt ch pkc ch BAM BAM The only one out of WORLD CH BIG D X GRNT SKIPPERS UMFORGIVEN SAIGE she has 21 pups 4nt ch 5 grnt ch thats 42.85%
He is a coon dog!
Nt ch ch Insane Minnie MouseInsane cain x Malden Branch Mouse

HOME OF 2 TIME AQHA HORSE OF THE YEAR
World champion working cow horse snaffle bit
SMART LITTLE LEGEND
ETCHA CHAMPION
HCHA CHAMPION
Top 16 NCHA WORLD Champion
Home of GHSRA All Around Cowboy Champion Chris wilbanks

Jerico Rebel our Movie star horse hes been in three films now 35 years old
Just passed away February 4th 2016

MY OLD DOGS GONE BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN
The one I will allways miss now deceased 01/09/2013
GR CH GRAND NT CH Handosme Trudy
SIRE PKC WLD CH GR NT WHATS UP DOC
DAM GR NT HUTCHINS SUGAR

GRCH GR NT CH COBBLER CREEK WENDY
GR NT STYLISH TUFF - WENDY X STYLISH LIPPER
GR NT STYLISH TACK - WENDY X STYLISH LIPPER

NT CH SOUTHERN STYLE - JP'S HIGH STYLE X HOUSES LADY

Old Post 06-24-2017 05:28 PM
wjoey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wjoey Click here to Send wjoey a Private Message Find more posts by wjoey Add wjoey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
S.Davis
UKC Forum Member

Nope this lil female came from KY where she has been pleasure hunted

Old Post 06-24-2017 05:36 PM
swamp1
Banned

Buying dog

Bought one around 6 mths ago for around $300, around 3, not been hunted much in 20 mths.Nice dog,I'll take a sack full like that,everyday. Better than most $2500 dogs I've seen .

Old Post 06-24-2017 10:40 PM
swamp1
Banned

Re: Buying a dog is a circus these days

quote:
Originally posted by coonhunter1287
fellow the other day priced a female for $5500, show her anytime anywhere,Lol. Can't get no one to answer phone.Lol take $300 dog and wear it out,I bet. Done it before in UKC hunt to dog that was leading in state $kc hunts.its not real complicated to figure out.

Old Post 06-24-2017 10:48 PM