UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Will squalling effect a pup if false treed
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
ColdNose93
UKC Forum Member

Will squalling effect a pup if false treed

Got to thinking about something and was real curious figured I’d run it by y’all. So let’s say you got a young dog that is starting out and he’s doing pretty good. Well when he trees and your not sure, it might can be there but your not sure. Due to thick leaves on and so forth or a den. Should you avoid squalling to find coon with a pup treeing if you don’t see the coon. I was thinking I don’t want to start squalling on a tree he might be slick or treed a squirrel or something else I don’t know about on becasause I feel like that squaller is somewhat rewarding him or gets him even more excited or even makes him think there’s a coon here even though he slick treed. What is yalls experience with this topic? Any advice or stories will help out a lot!
Thanks for reading

TK’s Skuna River Rock
TK’s Skuna River Roxy
TK’s Cayenne Pepper
TK’s Ole South’s Stylish Dixie
TK’s Ole South’s Stylish Black Betty
TK’s Backwater Sandy
Thomas Kimball
TK’s Training Program

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 12-16-2019 12:42 PM
ColdNose93 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ColdNose93 Click here to Send ColdNose93 a Private Message Click Here to Email ColdNose93 Find more posts by ColdNose93 Add ColdNose93 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
high ridge
UKC Forum Member

I agree. People set there and blow the reeds out of a squaller petting and knocking on tree because old wonder dog or pup just has to have him by the way they come treed. Heard it a million times
The longer you set there Shine squall and peck on tree the more amped up that dog becomes
Just be honest with yourself after you shine it a bit and cut the dog on off the tree.
You might overlook a few but most times if they there you find them. They just as curious to see you as you them most time.
Dogs today one doesn’t have to worry about taking tree out of them

Old Post 12-16-2019 01:55 PM
high ridge is offline Click Here to See the Profile for high ridge Click here to Send high ridge a Private Message Click Here to Email high ridge Find more posts by high ridge Add high ridge to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

Re: Will squalling effect a pup if false treed

quote:
Originally posted by ColdNose93
Got to thinking about something and was real curious figured I’d run it by y’all. So let’s say you got a young dog that is starting out and he’s doing pretty good. Well when he trees and your not sure, it might can be there but your not sure. Due to thick leaves on and so forth or a den. Should you avoid squalling to find coon with a pup treeing if you don’t see the coon. I was thinking I don’t want to start squalling on a tree he might be slick or treed a squirrel or something else I don’t know about on becasause I feel like that squaller is somewhat rewarding him or gets him even more excited or even makes him think there’s a coon here even though he slick treed. What is yalls experience with this topic? Any advice or stories will help out a lot!
Thanks for reading

Can it amp your dog up? Absolutely it can. But if you consistently squall trees, the dog will become accustomed to it and it won't have any effect on the dog. And it won't take months of doing this to accomplish. I

And
Partners on a few common trashy young dogs

Gone but not forgotten

GrNtCh, PKC Ch Hillbilly Bildo
Pr Broken Oaks Wild Blue Gypsy

Old Post 12-16-2019 02:06 PM
novicane65 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for novicane65 Click here to Send novicane65 a Private Message Click Here to Email novicane65 Find more posts by novicane65 Add novicane65 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

U are correct in your thinking thomas Kimball.
I have watched many people in our area and how they train with a young dog and the ones that sqaull and all that junk before finding the coon have less accurate dogs on a regular basis. There great tools for pts in a nite hunt. They can even be used for training a little if used properly.

Old Post 12-16-2019 02:12 PM
pamjohnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pamjohnson Click here to Send pamjohnson a Private Message Click Here to Email pamjohnson Find more posts by pamjohnson Add pamjohnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Josh Michaelis
UKC Forum Member

Eric is right.

It doesn't take long to get a dog used to squallers being used at a tree. If you do it a lot it has Zero effect on them.

Old Post 12-16-2019 05:05 PM
Josh Michaelis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Josh Michaelis Click here to Send Josh Michaelis a Private Message Click Here to Email Josh Michaelis Find more posts by Josh Michaelis Add Josh Michaelis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ColdNose93
UKC Forum Member

Squalling

Thank y’all for the help

What’s everyone’s favorite squaller for getting coons to look or move? Even if they are 50 bucks is it worth the extra money?

TK’s Skuna River Rock
TK’s Skuna River Roxy
TK’s Cayenne Pepper
TK’s Backwater Sandy
Thomas Kimball
TK’s Training Program

Old Post 12-16-2019 09:38 PM
ColdNose93 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ColdNose93 Click here to Send ColdNose93 a Private Message Click Here to Email ColdNose93 Find more posts by ColdNose93 Add ColdNose93 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Cold nose

Try one of Josh's Michaelis coon squallers, they are the best. Dave

Last edited by Dave Richards on 12-16-2019 at 10:51 PM

Old Post 12-16-2019 10:49 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ColdNose93
UKC Forum Member

Thanks Dave which one of his do you recommend the most?

TK’s Skuna River Rock
TK’s Skuna River Roxy
TK’s Cayenne Pepper
TK’s Backwater Sandy
Thomas Kimball
TK’s Training Program

Old Post 12-16-2019 11:30 PM