UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > purina pro plan
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
UNCLE RAY
UKC Forum Member

purina pro plan

i feed purina dog chow and get good results. i was just wondering if the pro plan brand is worth the extra money?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 01-24-2010 01:23 PM
UNCLE RAY is offline Click Here to See the Profile for UNCLE RAY Click here to Send UNCLE RAY a Private Message Click Here to Email UNCLE RAY Find more posts by UNCLE RAY Add UNCLE RAY to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bluedogman
UKC Forum Member

I doubt it!

Old Post 01-24-2010 01:41 PM
Bluedogman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bluedogman Click here to Send Bluedogman a Private Message Find more posts by Bluedogman Add Bluedogman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cleo
UKC Forum Member

What do you think is comparable to Pro-Plan puppy? I am feeding two pups. When to a less expensive brand and didn't like the change I saw right off the bat.

Thanks!

~A man is only as good as his word~

Proud home to;

'PR' Kentucky River Fly Again (Kentucky River Rowdy frozen semen)
ACHA CHT x3 Broken Roads Little Texas (Kentucky River Rowdy x Houses Lipper's Hope)
CH Broken Roads Southern Stylish Boom (Kentucky River Rowdy x Houses Lipper's Hope)
Broken Road's Rowdy Lil Miss (Kentucky River Rowdy x Houses Lipper's Hope)
Broken Road's Meabie I will (Lipper's Rooster x Missy)
Broken Roads IMA Boomer2 (UKC NATL GRCH GRNTCH Honest Abe x Broken Roads Southern Stylish Boom
~~~~~Watch out!~~~~~
They just might make an IMPACT!

and the girls...Punkin and Tater!

Gone by never forgotten ~ Fly high my beautiful angels
~ GRCH GNTCH PKC SC Toucan Sam
~CH Toucan's Ugly Betty
~ CCH CH Southforks September Rain
~ Martin's Daisy JJ (what a beautiful litter you left behind)
~ Luke, the lab who brought us so many doves and ducks over the years
~ UKC GRCH,ACHA CH 2014 LWCH 2014 2 x's ACHA YOUTH WCH AKC CH AKC CH 'PR' Kentucky River Mundar ~ (Kentucky River Rowdy frozen semen) DNA Profiled ~ Fly high, old friend.

"The WILL of God will never take you where the GRACE of God can not protect you!"

Old Post 01-24-2010 03:01 PM
Cleo is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cleo Click here to Send Cleo a Private Message Find more posts by Cleo Add Cleo to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bluedogman
UKC Forum Member

You can feed them a good quality adult food and do fine.

Old Post 01-24-2010 03:04 PM
Bluedogman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bluedogman Click here to Send Bluedogman a Private Message Find more posts by Bluedogman Add Bluedogman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
galvodog
UKC Forum Member

I use Pro Plan after trying alot of different feeds. You feed the dog less and have less stool. When I hunt hard I switch to Pro Plan Performance. Great results. I only hunt one hound so that is also a factor. Hope it helps.

Old Post 01-24-2010 03:16 PM
galvodog is offline Click Here to See the Profile for galvodog Click here to Send galvodog a Private Message Click Here to Email galvodog Visit galvodog's homepage! Find more posts by galvodog Add galvodog to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lee Stocking
UKC Forum Member

Diamond is not a commercial company. They are a large privately owned outfit. BUT to the question and this is only my opinion is that you need to consider what your doing. How hard do you hunt? Welping bitch or growing pups? ect..
Pro Plan (and ive fed many brands) is one of the finest on the market for high performance feeds. You will see an improvement over Dog Chow in performance, muscle mass, looks, every thing all across the board. Is it worth the extra 17-19 dollars a bag? Thats a matter of opinion. There are other brands on the market that will do the same job for less money. I have hunted off of Dog Chow, even raised pups off of it with success with good straight feet and body mass. I have fed Pro Plan and there is a very noticable difference.
My problem with Purina is they are a corporate company and operate as such. They change their brand names regularly and make their buyers think they are getting deals when its the same ole feed its been for years. Dont like the Pro Club and have used it. Just sell me an honest to goodness quality bag of dog food for an honest to goodness price where the company makes decent profits and I go home happy, with quality feed for my hounds. Thats not Purina. Im babbling, I get upset lol
Im feeding Enhance 30/22 @ $30 a 40lb bag wich is comparable Pro Plan. I have one hard hunter and a bitch with pups on her. The Enhance is doing fine. Real hard to walk out of the store $60 less with 80lbs of feed though.

NTCH PKCSilverCH Coble & Stocking's Swamp Rat Poison

NTCH Coble & Stocking's Stinger (GRNTCH Troubles x GRNTCH Fancy)

NTCH ACHA WReserve Team Troubles Trippy
Black & Tan

Last edited by Lee Stocking on 01-24-2010 at 05:10 PM

Old Post 01-24-2010 03:28 PM
Lee Stocking is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lee Stocking Click here to Send Lee Stocking a Private Message Click Here to Email Lee Stocking Find more posts by Lee Stocking Add Lee Stocking to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Virgil
UKC Forum Member

Re: purina pro plan

quote:
Originally posted by UNCLE RAY
i feed purina dog chow and get good results. i was just wondering if the pro plan brand is worth the extra money?

YES, I am happy with Pro Plan and feed it to two of my dogs. After a few weeks on Pro Plan you want recognize your dogs any more they will look so much better and hunt harder.

Old Post 01-24-2010 03:45 PM
Virgil is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Virgil Click here to Send Virgil a Private Message Click Here to Email Virgil Find more posts by Virgil Add Virgil to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rmcmillan
UKC Forum Member

purina

I feed purina chow and occasionally hi pro. my dogs get poor on hi pro. I have also used purina one. I have no problem with purina and belong to the pro club. But I am not against trying other feeds and I have on occasions.

Nt.Ch. Gr.Ch. Gr.WCh. Pr. McMillans Blue Crystal
Ntch. GrCh. Pr. McMillans Blue Magic
Gr.Nt.Ch. Pr. McMillans Blue Hawk
Nt. Ch. Pr. McMillans Blue Rage
all are gone now but will NEVER BE FORGOTTEN

CH. PR. MCMILLANS TREE ROCKIN BRANDY
CH. PR. MCMILLANS MIDNITES STINGIN SADIE

Old Post 01-24-2010 04:00 PM
rmcmillan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rmcmillan Click here to Send rmcmillan a Private Message Find more posts by rmcmillan Add rmcmillan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
graudean13
UKC Forum Member

food

Pro plan is ok but switched to Loyall Professional 31/20
Saw Chuck Coopers dogs that are on it and changed my mind to Loyall.Great results !!!!

Old Post 01-24-2010 04:12 PM
graudean13 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for graudean13 Click here to Send graudean13 a Private Message Click Here to Email graudean13 Find more posts by graudean13 Add graudean13 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SCBluetickGal
UKC Forum Member

I feed Pro-Plan Performance and Chicken and Rice exclusively. I personally like the Performance much better than the Chicken and Rice, but when I'm not conditioning dogs for shows or hunting them as much they do fine on Chicken and Rice.

I will say, I have also fed the Purina ONE Chicken and Rice and I would say it's comparable to the Pro-Plan Chicken and Rice. Before I started feeding Performance I would switch the ONE and Pro-Plan every so often just so they would have something a little different. Plus you can usually find ONE at the grocery store or Wal-Mart, and my other half sometimes gets lazy about buying feed when I'm out of town

CH'PR'Moss Blue Carolina Rain-Queen of Show, BBOA Zone 6 Championship
NITECH CH 'PR' Carolina Flo
CH 'PR' Poison Whiskey Waylon
CH 'PR' Cruse's I'm Your Huckleberry
CH'PR' PoisonWhiskey WildHoney
'PR' Poison Whiskey CowgirlsDontCry
CH'PR' Bowers & O'Connor's Foxy Roxy
PoisonWhiskey SonOfTheSouth

Poison Whiskey Hello Darlin'-2013 AL State BMOS, AL State Hall of Fame King of Show

PoisonWhiskey LilMsHonkyTonk

Coming Soon...
PoisonWhiskeyMaybeItWasMemphis
PoisonWhiskey Heart Like Mine
-------------------------
In loving memory...
CCH GRCH 'PR' Swampland Blue Gypsy-RIP sweet girl
'PR' Miller Time

Old Post 01-24-2010 04:21 PM
SCBluetickGal is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SCBluetickGal Click here to Send SCBluetickGal a Private Message Click Here to Email SCBluetickGal Find more posts by SCBluetickGal Add SCBluetickGal to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
josh
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Lee Stocking
Diamond is not a commercial company. They are a large privately owned outfit. BUT to the question and this is only my opinion is that you need to consider what your doing. How hard do you hunt? Welping bitch or growing pups? ect..
Pro Plan (and ive fed many brands) is one of the finest on the market for high performance feeds. You will see an improvement over Dog Chow in performance, muscle mass, looks, every thing all across the board. Is it worth the extra 17-19 dollars a bag? Thats a matter of opinion. There are other brands on the market that will do the same job for less money. I have hunted off of Dog Chow, even raised pups off of it with success with good straight feed and body mass. I have fed Pro Plan and there is a very noticable difference.
My problem with Purina is they are a corporate company and operate as such. They change their brand names regularly and make their buyers think they are getting deals when its the same ole feed its been for years. Dont like the Pro Club and have used it. Just sell me an honest to goodness quality bag of dog food for an honest to goodness price where the company makes decent profits and I go home happy, with quality feed for my hounds. Thats not Purina. Im babbling, I get upset lol
Im feeding Enhance 30/22 @ $30 a 40lb bag wich is comparable to Pro Plan. I have one hard hunter and a bitch with pups on it. Its doing fine. Real hard to walk out of the store $60 less with 80lbs of feed though.

good post.

The better dog food isnt going to make your dog better or tree more coon, The difference in going to come when your in a late round after a few days of hard hunting.

Old Post 01-24-2010 04:52 PM
josh is offline Click Here to See the Profile for josh Click here to Send josh a Private Message Click Here to Email josh Find more posts by josh Add josh to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Justin Smith
Banned

The labels say it all .... Dog Chow , Diamond , Pedigree , Sam's Choice , Loyal , Black Gold , Science Diet...

... they are cheap chicken meal , ground corn and some fillers ... you get what you pay for .

ProPlan is about the best ... Candiae , Bil Jac , Diamond Naturals , Taste of the Wild , VF ....

... they use more meat meals and no corn , they are just plain better feeds and you're gonna pay more.

right now ... the Diamond Extreme Athlete is what I'm using .. I mix in ProPlan , VF or Canidae to balance things out and give them a little different flavor.

The Diamond EA actually has the better label over some of it's more expensive counterparts.

.. what the label won't tell you is quality ... big difference in whole corn on the cob that we'd eat .. and corn pieces left on the ground from where the corn cobs roll through ... but the labels will read the same no matter which one you are buying.

Old Post 01-24-2010 05:09 PM
Justin Smith is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Justin Smith Click here to Send Justin Smith a Private Message Find more posts by Justin Smith Add Justin Smith to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bluedogman
UKC Forum Member

I'm feeding Purina ONE right now. Have been for a couple of years. My dogs like it and it works well for me. I tried them on Pro Plan Lamb and Rice but they didn't like it for some reason. Almost refused to eat it so I give them what they like and I get the benifit of saving a dollar or two. I don't like having to fool with Pro Club either and as Tan Man said, I WISH Purina would stop some of the things they do and use the money to put their product out there so a coon hunter can afford it.

Old Post 01-24-2010 05:38 PM
Lee Stocking
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Bluedogman
I'm feeding Purina ONE right now. Have been for a couple of years. My dogs like it and it works well for me. I tried them on Pro Plan Lamb and Rice but they didn't like it for some reason. Almost refused to eat it so I give them what they like and I get the benifit of saving a dollar or two. I don't like having to fool with Pro Club either and as Tan Man said, I WISH Purina would stop some of the things they do and use the money to put their product out there so a coon hunter can afford it.

Me too Blue. Thats the main reason I look for the small guy. Something else and I have heard many state that their dog smugged their nose agains certain feeds,,,NOT MINE lol it must be in their strain to GOBBLE anything and everyfeed I put in front of them. They are not starved by any means(my word) ha ha
Just goes to show dogs are different just like us.

NTCH PKCSilverCH Coble & Stocking's Swamp Rat Poison

NTCH Coble & Stocking's Stinger (GRNTCH Troubles x GRNTCH Fancy)

NTCH ACHA WReserve Team Troubles Trippy
Black & Tan

Old Post 01-24-2010 05:45 PM
Lee Stocking is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lee Stocking Click here to Send Lee Stocking a Private Message Click Here to Email Lee Stocking Find more posts by Lee Stocking Add Lee Stocking to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rowdyhound
UKC Forum Member

I was feeding the Pro Plan Performance. It got really hard to find here and I wasn't gonna drive a 60 mile round trip to get it. I have switched over to Exclusive Performance, I like it alot.

Old Post 01-24-2010 07:11 PM
rowdyhound is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rowdyhound Click here to Send rowdyhound a Private Message Click Here to Email rowdyhound Find more posts by rowdyhound Add rowdyhound to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
UNCLE RAY
UKC Forum Member

i went to tracter supply after church the pro plan performance is 43$ a bag!

Old Post 01-24-2010 08:25 PM
UNCLE RAY is offline Click Here to See the Profile for UNCLE RAY Click here to Send UNCLE RAY a Private Message Click Here to Email UNCLE RAY Find more posts by UNCLE RAY Add UNCLE RAY to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Joey Donelson
UKC Forum Member

I've fed Pro-plan performance for some time & liked it pretty good but have switched to Diamond naturals Extreme Athlete and like it so far. I like the ingredients (no corn) and the k-cal numbers but will have to use it awhile longer before I can say it's as good or better.

Old Post 01-24-2010 08:49 PM
Joey Donelson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Joey Donelson Click here to Send Joey Donelson a Private Message Click Here to Email Joey Donelson Find more posts by Joey Donelson Add Joey Donelson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Virgil
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by CSnowgren
Thats what I mean. For that kind of money, there are better options. Heck, cut about $10 off that and that is what I pay for the Extreme Athlete, which is better than the performance. Purina and Diamond, head to head offers the Performance and the Extreme Athlete. EA is cheaper and better.

I have fed the Diamond Naturals Extreme Athlete and it is no where close to the feed Pro Plan Performance is. My dogs had loose stools and after about a week of the Diamond they were constantly shaking thier heads and I am not the only one who has had this problem. Many people on this board had the same problem with a lot of head shaking and ear problems from Diamond feeds.

Old Post 01-24-2010 09:11 PM
Virgil is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Virgil Click here to Send Virgil a Private Message Click Here to Email Virgil Find more posts by Virgil Add Virgil to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote