UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Possum Conundrum
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Cory Highfill
UKC Forum Member

Possum Conundrum

Alright experts,

I've got a gyp with a possum problem. We've tried to be smarter, we've tried meaner, we've tried everything from the conventional methods to the outlandish and back. We've tried things that a man shouldn't admit to on a public forum, lol. I need ideas, this gyp is worth fixing if there is a fix.

So here's the brief backstory... bought her early last fall as a green started pup. Would miss pretty bad and tree a few possums then. Started working on the missing by just walking in, shining her trees, then walking off and tapping her with the collar when she was slick. She didn't take long to get surprisingly accurate. Throughout all that she'd tree the occasional possum, and we'd handle it just like the slicks. Mid winter she pretty well quit the possums and her accuracy was plenty good, better than most.
Recently she's started on the possums again in a big way. She trees more coons than anything I've seen and has all the chrome, but she can't pass the possums up. Suggestions?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 04-21-2018 08:27 PM
Cory Highfill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cory Highfill Click here to Send Cory Highfill a Private Message Click Here to Email Cory Highfill Find more posts by Cory Highfill Add Cory Highfill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

I don't lead mine away from possum trees. I give just enough stimulation so they don't vocalize. You might see her neck bow up. Tap her this way until she leaves. it might take 4 times. She might even come back in a minute or two. Repeat until she leaves and doesn't come back. Then she's making the decision to leave the possum. You're not making it for her.

Old Post 04-21-2018 09:03 PM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
KevinP
Banned

Break her off the track. I've broke several, but never mess with the dogs at the tree. That's how I do it.

Old Post 04-21-2018 09:50 PM
KevinP is offline Click Here to See the Profile for KevinP Click here to Send KevinP a Private Message Find more posts by KevinP Add KevinP to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cory Highfill
UKC Forum Member

I tried both. I've shocked her off trees and whipped her off trees. I've set her up on possums on the ground. I put one in a cage and from a distance buzzed her a little every time it moved. And without being too descriptive, I've gotten pretty rough on her a time or two.

What I can't figure out is that for a couple months, she would leave them alone. Completely alone. Like to the point that she wouldn't back a dog that was messing with one.

Old Post 04-22-2018 12:11 AM
Cory Highfill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cory Highfill Click here to Send Cory Highfill a Private Message Click Here to Email Cory Highfill Find more posts by Cory Highfill Add Cory Highfill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

Possum

Cory I know you are looking for a real answer that will help but I just can't believe that someone hasn't said get her thyroid checked, lol. I have never personally had one that bad on possum.

Old Post 04-22-2018 12:36 AM
Preacher Tom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Preacher Tom Click here to Send Preacher Tom a Private Message Click Here to Email Preacher Tom Find more posts by Preacher Tom Add Preacher Tom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
KevinP
Banned

Then you gotta do it some more. You gonna break the dog or is she gonna break you? Bring her to me, leave her a week, if she goes home and trees them regularly then you got two options.

Old Post 04-22-2018 01:01 AM
KevinP is offline Click Here to See the Profile for KevinP Click here to Send KevinP a Private Message Find more posts by KevinP Add KevinP to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Cory

If you can't break her, sell her to me. I am serious. Dave

Old Post 04-22-2018 01:03 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cory Highfill
UKC Forum Member

We're not giving up yet. Shes a 2 yr old with two wins to Gr Nt and has her money won for the SS. By far the most competitive dog I have seen in years. But she's sure made me mad.
My pardner loves this female and I never thought he's entertain the thought of selling her. But she was way out ahead of a cast with just a few minutes left to hunt at a RQE a couple weekends ago when she killed one and dropped it at his feet. That nearly broke his heart, lol.

Old Post 04-22-2018 03:01 AM
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Corey

I can feel his pain on that one! I just don't competition hunt much anymore, so keep my offer in mind. Dave

Old Post 04-22-2018 03:37 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bill(Chew)
UKC Forum Member

I feel your pain because I have one that is doing even worse, the last night out she left a coon to mess with a possum. I do have a couple of more tricks but I've used almost every thing I know of which is a lot.

Old Post 04-22-2018 05:30 AM
Bill(Chew) is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bill(Chew) Click here to Send Bill(Chew) a Private Message Click Here to Email Bill(Chew) Find more posts by Bill(Chew) Add Bill(Chew) to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
treedog69
UKC Forum Member

pos

Build a dog house with a possium house attached live them together untill there is no longer any intrest

Old Post 04-22-2018 07:34 AM
treedog69 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for treedog69 Click here to Send treedog69 a Private Message Find more posts by treedog69 Add treedog69 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Tyson McComber
UKC Forum Member

http://forums.ukcdogs.com/showthrea...eadid=928503285

By the sounds of it I'd try getting a hold of this gentleman.

Old Post 04-22-2018 07:36 AM
Tyson McComber is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Tyson McComber Click here to Send Tyson McComber a Private Message Click Here to Email Tyson McComber Find more posts by Tyson McComber Add Tyson McComber to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jmiller85
UKC Forum Member

What's the dog name
Sound like a female I use to own thats now in Arkansas

Old Post 04-22-2018 02:50 PM
Jmiller85 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jmiller85 Click here to Send Jmiller85 a Private Message Click Here to Email Jmiller85 Find more posts by Jmiller85 Add Jmiller85 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Terry Dye
UKC Forum Member

Alan, maybe I'm wrong, I thought that's what these forums were designed for. If a man is in need of help or asks a question about training, he could post on here and fellow hunters with pure intent to help out would step up and give their honest advice to help the guy or gal out. Maybe there's too much ego floating around in the coonhunting world to ever admit that you don't have all The answers 😳

Old Post 04-22-2018 08:57 PM
Terry Dye is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Terry Dye Click here to Send Terry Dye a Private Message Click Here to Email Terry Dye Find more posts by Terry Dye Add Terry Dye to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
oklared
UKC Forum Member

ID SEND HER UP TO ALLEN BROWN SOUNDS LIKE HE'D BREAK IN A HEART BEAT SENCE HE'S SMARTER THAN THE DOG

HOME OF 2010 HIGH SCOREING REDBONE FEMALE, DUAL CH Y2KD, #7 REPRODUCING RED FEMALE
NT.Ch. WINNER AT REDBONE SEC. 2008
3RD PL. NT.CH. 2009 BATTLE OF BREEDS AT ADA OKLA.
4TH PLACE R.Q.E 2010
2ND PLACE OVERALL AT ZONE 4 AND DOUBLE CAST WINNER 2010
WENT TO 2010 WORLD HUNT
AMERICAN REDBONE ASSOCIATION HIGH SCOREING REDBONE FEMALE OF THE 2010 WORLD HUNT
OVERALL HI SCOREING DOG AT 2010 BBCHA BLUE TIC SECTIONAL
GR.NT.CH. AT 12 and A HALF
MADE-EM SEE RED

Old Post 04-22-2018 10:03 PM
oklared is offline Click Here to See the Profile for oklared Click here to Send oklared a Private Message Click Here to Email oklared Find more posts by oklared Add oklared to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

Some can't be broke. Not by the conventional methods we use. I had a Walker female in the 80"s that knew she was born to be a deer dog. I could get her broke for 3 or 4 months, then one night she was gone again. I kept her until she died and never completely broke her. Wild Willy might be able to help you.

Old Post 04-22-2018 10:53 PM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
N Williams
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Alan Brown
Terry, maybe your part of the problem

Sir I don't know you and you might be a real nice guy. I've had disagreements with people on this forum before but never would I humiliate or belittle someone. I also know that not everyone agrees with me but we try and have fun with it. A lot of the comments your making will get you banned. I'm sure your a good person and disagreeing is ok. I would just watch the way you talk to people. People don't like to be disrespected just like I'm sure you don't.

Old Post 04-23-2018 12:02 AM
N Williams is offline Click Here to See the Profile for N Williams Click here to Send N Williams a Private Message Find more posts by N Williams Add N Williams to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
joey
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by N Williams
Sir I don't know you and you might be a real nice guy. I've had disagreements with people on this forum before but never would I humiliate or belittle someone. I also know that not everyone agrees with me but we try and have fun with it. A lot of the comments your making will get you banned. I'm sure your a good person and disagreeing is ok. I would just watch the way you talk to people. People don't like to be disrespected just like I'm sure you don't.

Just how some people are.

Its aggravating Cory but she will quit on her own. Just discourage it every time. She will eventually get tired of it. If you can last that long. Everyone thinks breaking possums should be the easiest thing and for some dogs it is. Others its harder and the same thing for one will not always work for the other. I have had them that I thought I would never get broke and at the end of the day I wasn't the one that broke them. They just got tired of it.

http://www.sunspotlights.com/
When brightness matters!!

Home Of:
PKC Ch, Grch Grnch 2008 Tx state champion They call me Crazy Betty

PKC SCh CH Grnch They call me Howler too

Old Post 04-23-2018 12:47 AM
joey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for joey Click here to Send joey a Private Message Find more posts by joey Add joey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cory Highfill
UKC Forum Member

Appreciate all the responses.
This is a way above average coon treeing dog, only with a problem. For what it's worth, I think I can tell the difference in common and above average and if she didn't have that little extra, we wouldn't be fooling with her. If she comes through the possum nonsense she'll be tough.

I've broke several, but never had one that didn't respond to correction like this one. You can really make it rough on her and she'll bounce right back immediately. Tried to outsmart and outthink, but maybe we just need to keep pushing and try to come out the other end. Sometimes makes me think maybe we aren't smarter than what we're hunting, lol.

Old Post 04-23-2018 01:21 AM
Cory Highfill
UKC Forum Member

Appreciate all the responses.
This is a way above average coon treeing dog, only with a problem. For what it's worth, I think I can tell the difference in common and above average and if she didn't have that little extra, we wouldn't be fooling with her. If she comes through the possum nonsense she'll be tough.

I've broke several, but never had one that didn't respond to correction like this one. You can really make it rough on her and she'll bounce right back immediately. Tried to outsmart and outthink, but maybe we just need to keep pushing and try to come out the other end. Sometimes makes me think maybe we aren't smarter than what we're hunting, lol.

Old Post 04-23-2018 01:21 AM
recon
UKC Forum Member

Get her thyroid checked. Had a buddy whose dog went to teeing opposums out of the blue. Bad, like what you are describing. Took him to vet n had thyroid issues. Put him on medicine and left the opposums alone. Just a thought but worth a shot.

Old Post 04-23-2018 01:42 AM
recon is offline Click Here to See the Profile for recon Click here to Send recon a Private Message Click Here to Email recon Find more posts by recon Add recon to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Terry Dye
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Terry, maybe your part of the problem

Yep. I'm part of the problem because I didn't bash the man because he asked a training question. That really makes a lot of sense to me !!!

Old Post 04-23-2018 02:52 AM
Terry Dye is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Terry Dye Click here to Send Terry Dye a Private Message Click Here to Email Terry Dye Find more posts by Terry Dye Add Terry Dye to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cory Highfill
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Then don't comment to what I post or I will do my best to Piss you off. Don't like you , never have so on here be no different !

Friendly feller, ain't he..?

Old Post 04-23-2018 03:23 AM
N Williams
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Cory Highfill
Friendly feller, ain't he..?

Seems like It.

Old Post 04-23-2018 03:36 AM
N Williams is offline Click Here to See the Profile for N Williams Click here to Send N Williams a Private Message Find more posts by N Williams Add N Williams to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Cory and NWilliams

It's easy to be "friendly" typing on a screen, the real question is, is he that "friendly" in person? I have found most guys with an attitude aren't near so tough in person. JS. Lol. Dave

Old Post 04-23-2018 03:54 AM