UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Big Motor?
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Oak Ridge
UKC Forum Member

Big Motor?

I am interested in opinions from folks on here...

I have a buddy that has a young dog that seems to potter around when you turn it loose, seems that every drop this pup will toddle off a couple hundred yards at most, and get treed...have a coon every time it looks up...good tree dog, good tree manners...but just lacks that "burning desire" to get gone and get that same coon treed.

Anybody ever have one similar that turned into a fired up, bust a hole in the dark, get hooked type of dog?

I'm not talking about going a mile or more to get "alone"....I've had those dogs that run past five coon to tree one "deep and lonely"....

What advice can I offer my buddy...I have never had one that didn't twist and spin on the lead strap wanting to go hunting.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 10-22-2014 04:35 PM
Oak Ridge is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Oak Ridge Click here to Send Oak Ridge a Private Message Click Here to Email Oak Ridge Find more posts by Oak Ridge Add Oak Ridge to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Nathan Lattimer
UKC Forum Member

Hey Joe how's it going? He could try this: shoot several out but don't let him have any. Let him get within inches but hold him back. Obviously you won't be able to recast in that section and if you're carrying them back to the truck that won't work either.
But if you pull him off several coon that he can't get to and drive him to the next spot right away he still should be fired up, and eventually should start to bust in there.
If you kill and let him have the ones that he drives in hard after and tie him back on the "lazy" one he should figure it out pretty quickly. It has worked for me in the past.
It might lead to a few other minor issues but they can be worked thru as well.

Old Post 10-22-2014 04:48 PM
Nathan Lattimer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Nathan Lattimer Click here to Send Nathan Lattimer a Private Message Click Here to Email Nathan Lattimer Find more posts by Nathan Lattimer Add Nathan Lattimer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
deschmidt27
UKC Forum Member

Joe,

Does the dog act the same with company? Or has he only hunted it by itself?

As you know, sometimes competition makes all the difference.

Old Post 10-22-2014 04:49 PM
deschmidt27 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for deschmidt27 Click here to Send deschmidt27 a Private Message Click Here to Email deschmidt27 Find more posts by deschmidt27 Add deschmidt27 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
juross
UKC Forum Member

i

i like to cut them across open fields make them go hunting

PKC CH GRNITECHPR'TREE GUZLIN TINY

2016 OHIO ST PKC TOP 16

AND MANY MORE TO COME

Old Post 10-22-2014 05:41 PM
juross is offline Click Here to See the Profile for juross Click here to Send juross a Private Message Click Here to Email juross Find more posts by juross Add juross to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cheyenne
UKC Forum Member

turning across fields is the best, and to really fire one up you can run some long drag tracks with 3-4 other dogs, that usually will put the competitive edge on them. I got one now when he was 7-8 months old by himself would do about the same and now at 14 months he will hustle through the country until he finds one, what I like of him is he is calm at the box and has brains as to know when I say "dead coon" whether I shoot one or not he knows that tree is done and its time to find another!

Nt.Ch. 2010 World Hunt Finalist Tug River Stylish PJ, Pkc Ch. Nt.Ch. Stylish Polly, Pkc Ch. Nt.Ch. Stylish Cheyenne, Gr.Nt.Ch. Frieds Thunder Crank, Gr.Nt.Ch. Major Dan , Nt.Ch. Lil Red Rat, Stylish Tanks Style

Old Post 10-22-2014 05:51 PM
Cheyenne is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cheyenne Click here to Send Cheyenne a Private Message Click Here to Email Cheyenne Find more posts by Cheyenne Add Cheyenne to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
blackflagginit
UKC Forum Member

a few turn on and get fired up more with hunting and age......but most that don't have it at the start never will imo.

ive found it a lot easier to turn down the wild ones than it is to turn up the lazy ones..........just speaking from personal experience

*billy jack

It is well that war is so terrible, otherwise we should grow too fond of it.

Robert E. Lee

Old Post 10-22-2014 06:30 PM
blackflagginit is offline Click Here to See the Profile for blackflagginit Click here to Send blackflagginit a Private Message Click Here to Email blackflagginit Find more posts by blackflagginit Add blackflagginit to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
buck brush
UKC Forum Member

Re: Big Motor?

quote:
Originally posted by Oak Ridge
I am interested in opinions from folks on here...

I have a buddy that has a young dog that seems to potter around when you turn it loose, seems that every drop this pup will toddle off a couple hundred yards at most, and get treed...have a coon every time it looks up...good tree dog, good tree manners...but just lacks that "burning desire" to get gone and get that same coon treed.

Anybody ever have one similar that turned into a fired up, bust a hole in the dark, get hooked type of dog?

I'm not talking about going a mile or more to get "alone"....I've had those dogs that run past five coon to tree one "deep and lonely"....

What advice can I offer my buddy...I have never had one that didn't twist and spin on the lead strap wanting to go hunting.

why would you want to change it if it is getting treed with a coon, i call that hunting as soon as you turn it lose, not running past coon just to throw mud in your face. i bet when it is toddaling off its nose is hunting a track.

gone but will never be forgotten

PR Van Dusen's Hanna o/h
NTCH PR Buck Brush Little Maggie o/h
NTCH PR Buck Brush Little Mickey o/h
PR Buck Brush Copper o/h
D NTCH PR Crooked Oak Boss o/h
D NtCH PR Alford's Alibi h
NTCH PR Alford's Hatchet h
NT CH PR Mill's Dotty h

Old Post 10-22-2014 07:52 PM
buck brush is offline Click Here to See the Profile for buck brush Click here to Send buck brush a Private Message Click Here to Email buck brush Find more posts by buck brush Add buck brush to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
john Duemmer
UKC Forum Member

I got one like that and i wouldnt change her, if i hunt her with company she leaves like she was shot outta a cannon but when its just her and me she looks to me for direction cause i like to walk hunt. Those kind tree alot of coon close.

Old Post 10-22-2014 08:24 PM
john Duemmer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for john Duemmer Click here to Send john Duemmer a Private Message Click Here to Email john Duemmer Find more posts by john Duemmer Add john Duemmer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hoosier
UKC Forum Member

I have the best idea on here.

SELL HIM TO ME!!!!!!!

Old Post 10-22-2014 08:40 PM
Hoosier is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Hoosier Click here to Send Hoosier a Private Message Click Here to Email Hoosier Find more posts by Hoosier Add Hoosier to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dwils
UKC Forum Member

90% of coon hunters walk under more coon than they will ever tree without realizing it . With that being said there's no reason to have one go a mile to get treed . Fred bear goes too deep for my likening sometimes , but trees them around me as well . I don't want a dog to shoot past coon that another dog may come along and tree and beat him in a hunt .

NtCh PKCCh Skuna River Faith
NtCh PKC Ch Catch This
Silver Ch River Bend Lacey

Old Post 10-22-2014 09:06 PM
Dwils is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dwils Click here to Send Dwils a Private Message Click Here to Email Dwils Find more posts by Dwils Add Dwils to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Huntnharris
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Big Motor?

[QUOTE]Originally posted by buck brush
why would you want to change it if it is getting treed with a coon, i call that hunting as soon as you turn it lose, not running past coon just to throw mud in your face. i bet when it is toddaling off its nose is hunting a track. [/QUOTE

Have to agree with this. Let all the big running dogs blow past and tree behind them. If he doesn't like him, let me know, I bet I would like him!

Old Post 10-22-2014 10:41 PM
Huntnharris is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Huntnharris Click here to Send Huntnharris a Private Message Click Here to Email Huntnharris Visit Huntnharris's homepage! Find more posts by Huntnharris Add Huntnharris to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Oak Ridge
UKC Forum Member

Thanks to everyone that has offered ideas....

To those that responded "don't change it".... Maybe I'm not painting the picture correctly. I've been following dogs for well over 40 years, and I know the difference between a dog that starts hunting as soon as you turn it loose, and one that is simply goofing off, standing around, and wasting time.

This dog will race across a field, get to the woods, then turn around and RACE BACK.... wait for you to start walking to the woods, then race back to the woods, and meet you again as you get half way...plays see saw two or three times. Once you get to the woods, you either have to walk it, or set down on a stump and "wait it out". Eventually it gets bored with you and goes hunting, but isn't hunting hard....it has as much raw coon treeing talent that I've seen in a young dog in a long time, but just doesn't give the impression that it is eaten up with desire to get a coon treed.

If we could develop the desire, this dog would have it all...but it's the ten minutes this dogs wastes goofing off, not hunting that is driving us nuts....

Old Post 10-23-2014 12:48 PM
Oak Ridge is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Oak Ridge Click here to Send Oak Ridge a Private Message Click Here to Email Oak Ridge Find more posts by Oak Ridge Add Oak Ridge to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

i know the type

from my experience these kind rarely or never change and waste a lot of time.

Old Post 10-23-2014 01:11 PM
pamjohnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pamjohnson Click here to Send pamjohnson a Private Message Click Here to Email pamjohnson Find more posts by pamjohnson Add pamjohnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
groworg1
UKC Forum Member

to me this is the fix but takes time and effort every time this dog comes in catch it and put it up layup 2-3 nights repeat within a month you will see a huge change but watch what you wish for or you could try the boot to the butt get gone routine as no 2 dogs are the same !temperament of dog as to which method I would try first is the real question ?

Old Post 10-23-2014 01:15 PM
groworg1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for groworg1 Click here to Send groworg1 a Private Message Click Here to Email groworg1 Find more posts by groworg1 Add groworg1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
J I Allen
UKC Forum Member

How old is this dog? You said he was a young dog.

Old Post 10-23-2014 01:40 PM
J I Allen is offline Click Here to See the Profile for J I Allen Click here to Send J I Allen a Private Message Find more posts by J I Allen Add J I Allen to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
John Carroll
UKC Forum Member

There are two things you can't do much to improve in a dog, in my experience.

Desire and brains.

It sounds like a hound somebody would love to own, just not somebody that wants a hustling type hound.

Old Post 10-23-2014 01:53 PM
John Carroll is offline Click Here to See the Profile for John Carroll Click here to Send John Carroll a Private Message Click Here to Email John Carroll Find more posts by John Carroll Add John Carroll to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
buck brush
UKC Forum Member

well i have followed dogs for going on 60 years and i have seen this kind before, that is why i have a rubber hose on my side i would let him know i did not want him around me.
on your first post you did not state all that he was doing, now this is a different, he seems like he is lazy or he wants to be your friend, let him know you do not want him standing around.

PR Van Dusen's Hanna o/h
PR Buck Brush Copper o/h
NT CH PR Mill's Dotty h

Old Post 10-23-2014 02:11 PM
buck brush is offline Click Here to See the Profile for buck brush Click here to Send buck brush a Private Message Click Here to Email buck brush Find more posts by buck brush Add buck brush to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
HOBO
UKC Forum Member

How old is this dog? Might try taking it and leaving it in the box for a few dumps knocking coon out to the other dogs.

Ch.Swampmusic Lil Bit Sassy
Ch.Swampmusic Misty Shadow
Gr.Ch.Swampmusic Boone
Gr.Ch.Swampmusic Pride

But Looking To The Future...

Nt.Ch.Gr.Ch.Swampmusic Big Hoss

Dennis Robinson
Cell 540-295-3892

Old Post 10-23-2014 02:33 PM
HOBO is offline Click Here to See the Profile for HOBO Click here to Send HOBO a Private Message Click Here to Email HOBO Visit HOBO's homepage! Find more posts by HOBO Add HOBO to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GA DAWG
UKC Forum Member

How old is it?

Old Post 10-23-2014 02:40 PM
GA DAWG is offline Click Here to See the Profile for GA DAWG Click here to Send GA DAWG a Private Message Click Here to Email GA DAWG Find more posts by GA DAWG Add GA DAWG to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Carl Fox
UKC Forum Member

GUYS I KNOW THAT JOE HAS ASKED FOR YOUR OPINIONS ABOUT THIS DOG BUT DO YOU REALLY KNOW WHO YOU ARE TALKING TO?

JOE NEWLIN IS ONE OF THE TOP10 BREEDERS AND TRAINERS IN THE WORLD TODAY.

I AM SURE HE HAS TRIED 80% OR MORE OF THE SUGGESTIONS THAT HAVE BEEN GIVEN IN GOOD FAITH AND ALL WILL WORK ON SOME DOGS.

I HAVE BEEN COON HUNTING 50 YEARS AND WOULD NOT TRY TO GIVE ADVICE ON THIS SUBJECT FOR SHOULD THIS BE A CLOVER DOG IT MIGHT BE IMPOSSIBLE TO CORRECT FOR I HAD A SIMLIAR PROBLEM WITH TWO CLOVER DOGS.

JUST A SHORT PARAGRAPH TO EXPLAIN IN THE MOUNTAINS YOU USUALLY HAVE TO DRIVE UP HOLLOWS OR UP GRAVEL ROADS TO GET TO YOUR HUNTING SPOTS AND IF YOU PASSED A COON ON THE WAY BOTH DOGS WOULD BARK A FEW BARKS EVEN WITH SHOCK COLLARS ON AND WHEN YOU TURNED OUT WOULD GO BACK TO WHERE THEY SMELLED THAT COON AND TREE IT INSTEAD OF HUNTING IN FRONT OF YOU AND LIKE D.WILSON SAID MORE COONS WITHIN 150-200 YARDS AROUND YOU THAN 800 YARDS AWAY.
IMO TOO MANY BEE LINE HUNTERS THAT GET TREED WITH A COON BUT PASS UP MANY COON IN DOING SO BUT YOUNGER GUYS PAY NO ATTENTION TO THAT BUT AS YOU GET OLDER YOU DON'T WANT YOUR DOG PASSING UP ANY COONS SHORTER DISTANCE TO TREE THE BETTER YOU LIKE IT.LOL.

TAKE YOUR KIDS HUNTING INSTEAD
OF HUNTING FOR YOUR KIDS!!!

Old Post 10-23-2014 02:50 PM
Carl Fox is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Carl Fox Click here to Send Carl Fox a Private Message Find more posts by Carl Fox Add Carl Fox to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
buck brush
UKC Forum Member

so why did he ask is he trying to trick us ,

quote:
Originally posted by Carl Fox
GUYS I KNOW THAT JOE HAS ASKED FOR YOUR OPINIONS ABOUT THIS DOG BUT DO YOU REALLY KNOW WHO YOU ARE TALKING TO?

JOE NEWLIN IS ONE OF THE TOP10 BREEDERS AND TRAINERS IN THE WORLD TODAY.

I AM SURE HE HAS TRIED 80% OR MORE OF THE SUGGESTIONS THAT HAVE BEEN GIVEN IN GOOD FAITH AND ALL WILL WORK ON SOME DOGS.

I HAVE BEEN COON HUNTING 50 YEARS AND WOULD NOT TRY TO GIVE ADVICE ON THIS SUBJECT FOR SHOULD THIS BE A CLOVER DOG IT MIGHT BE IMPOSSIBLE TO CORRECT FOR I HAD A SIMLIAR PROBLEM WITH TWO CLOVER DOGS.

JUST A SHORT PARAGRAPH TO EXPLAIN IN THE MOUNTAINS YOU USUALLY HAVE TO DRIVE UP HOLLOWS OR UP GRAVEL ROADS TO GET TO YOUR HUNTING SPOTS AND IF YOU PASSED A COON ON THE WAY BOTH DOGS WOULD BARK A FEW BARKS EVEN WITH SHOCK COLLARS ON AND WHEN YOU TURNED OUT WOULD GO BACK TO WHERE THEY SMELLED THAT COON AND TREE IT INSTEAD OF HUNTING IN FRONT OF YOU AND LIKE D.WILSON SAID MORE COONS WITHIN 150-200 YARDS AROUND YOU THAN 800 YARDS AWAY.
IMO TOO MANY BEE LINE HUNTERS THAT GET TREED WITH A COON BUT PASS UP MANY COON IN DOING SO BUT YOUNGER GUYS PAY NO ATTENTION TO THAT BUT AS YOU GET OLDER YOU DON'T WANT YOUR DOG PASSING UP ANY COONS SHORTER DISTANCE TO TREE THE BETTER YOU LIKE IT.LOL.

PR Van Dusen's Hanna o/h
PR Buck Brush Copper o/h
NT CH PR Mill's Dotty h

Old Post 10-23-2014 03:16 PM
Rocketman55
UKC Forum Member

Well Joe I will offer my two cents as well. Since this is a young dog, the good thing is that you have time on your side.

I say just keep hunting him by himself as much as possible. Set him up so that he can get struck within the initial distance that he usually runs out in front of you before he returns. Give him one coon out of every tree that he makes that has one in it. This will strengthen his desire to catch/kill a coon. As his desire to catch/kill strengthens so will his desire to immediately go to a coon track. Make it a fun game for him because the more fun he has the stronger his desire to please you will be.

Now this is not going to happen over night. This may very well take all of this season plus some of next spring. But once this pup starts to settle down and see that you actually want him to go find a coon, he will start hustling to the track and getting treed.

It sounds to me like this dog is loaded with natural talent but has no idea yet what you are wanting from him, he is simply still doing what feels good to him and does not yet realize he has a job to do.

One other thing that I have done with young dogs like this is, I carry a long switch and (every time) the dog comes running up to me when I don't want him too, I lightly switch his face and tell him to get gone. Then when he gets treed I praise him for about one minute on each tree. That will also help him to realize you are wanting him to go get treed. However when doing this switching, you must not strike him hard enough to hurt him but simply strike him hard enough to make it uncomfortable. He will eventually get the idea you don't want him returning to you.

I have read a lot of posts that say a dog doesn't need every coon, and there are some out there that do not. But there are also some out there that giving them every coon till they get it right sure helps with the frustration of training a young dog. Oh by the way Joe, I have been hunting coonhounds for over 45 years and I have never bought one, as I always raised and trained my own.

I say if you have the patients to stick with this dog, he will end up being a pretty nice hound. But only you know how much you can tolerate.

Good Luck with him.

Glouster, Ohio 45732
Home To:
Gr.Nt.Ch. Hooper Ridge Hang'em High Holly
Gr.Nt.Ch. Hooper Ridge Rockets Top Gun.
Gr.Nt.Ch.Hooper Ridge Rocket
Gr.Nt.Ch Hooper Ridge Dolly
Nt.Ch Hooper Ridge Queen
Nt.Ch Raw Dawg Rowdy
PR Tree Banging Buddy
HOOPER RIDGE ENGLISH-POUND FOR POUND THEY ARE ONE TOUGH HOUND!!!!

Old Post 10-23-2014 03:31 PM
Rocketman55 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rocketman55 Click here to Send Rocketman55 a Private Message Click Here to Email Rocketman55 Find more posts by Rocketman55 Add Rocketman55 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
John Carroll
UKC Forum Member

Joe forgot more before breakfast this morning than most of us will learn this year about hounds.

Of that I have no doubt.

He didn't really ask for training tips.

He asked if we had ever seen one like that change.

The older I get the less interested and motivated I am in trying to figure out ways to train dogs.

I am interested in getting my hands on the ones who are naturals.

Old Post 10-23-2014 03:42 PM
John Carroll is offline Click Here to See the Profile for John Carroll Click here to Send John Carroll a Private Message Click Here to Email John Carroll Find more posts by John Carroll Add John Carroll to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dan Dogs
UKC Forum Member

here is what I would try if it was my dog. Take the dog and tie him to the tail gate, then take a caged coon not ever letting it on the ground. Show the dog the coon and carry the coon across an open field and into a timber, then hang the coon in a tree low enuff he can wind it. Let a buddy turn the dog loose then after a few times leave him in the box and set the coon up a couple hrs ahead of time and just release the dog without him seeing you carry the coon to the woods.

- Gr. CH Nite Ch. Hickory Nut Dan II
- CH. Gr. Nite Ch. Hickory Nut Dan III 2008 Performance Sire
- CH. Gr.Nite Ch. Hickory Nut Dan IV 2004 ukc world hunt finalist
- Ch. Gr.Nite Ch. Mounds Creek Sassy II
- Nite Ch. Hickory Nut Bucky HTX 3 wins towards grnite
- GrCh.GrNtCh Hickory Nut Bawlie HTX
-Nite ch. PR Iowa County CryBaby II 2013 Badger State Hunt Champion
qualified for 2013 UKC World Hunt
CH Nitech She Hate Me (scar) HTX Iowa County Kennels

Old Post 10-23-2014 03:56 PM
Dan Dogs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dan Dogs Click here to Send Dan Dogs a Private Message Click Here to Email Dan Dogs Find more posts by Dan Dogs Add Dan Dogs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
deschmidt27
UKC Forum Member

Joe - does it "goof off" when in company? To get to your original question, about experience with other dogs and whether they changed, I would need to know if they did the same when around others that didn't goof off.

I've had one that goofed off by themselves and matured out of it. But I've never had one, goof off, when others were throwing mud in our face.

Old Post 10-23-2014 04:02 PM
deschmidt27 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for deschmidt27 Click here to Send deschmidt27 a Private Message Click Here to Email deschmidt27 Find more posts by deschmidt27 Add deschmidt27 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote