UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Garmin Tracking System Tip of the Day!!
Pages (24): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
max destruction
UKC Forum Member

On my 220 I could press map button when I was on map screen and it would take the courser back to wear I'm standing,just got a 320 and it doesn't is there a setting for it?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 10-04-2013 04:10 AM
max destruction is offline Click Here to See the Profile for max destruction Click here to Send max destruction a Private Message Click Here to Email max destruction Find more posts by max destruction Add max destruction to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce M. Conkey

What I do because of this is hit the dog page button then map and it takes you back.

Old Post 10-04-2013 04:23 PM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
garminguru
UKC Forum Member

Re: .

quote:
Originally posted by Bruce M. Conkey
What I do because of this is hit the dog page button then map and it takes you back.

Me too!

Old Post 10-04-2013 05:39 PM
garminguru is offline Click Here to See the Profile for garminguru Click here to Send garminguru a Private Message Find more posts by garminguru Add garminguru to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TBO kennels
UKC Forum Member

Back light on 320 keypad sucks. I can't even see my keys without a flashlight. Also dc40s I have only go about 700 yards even in flat corn country. I wasn't ever happy with my 220 and dc 30s either. It was the same but if I shut it off I'd never pick up that collars. That sux in a Nite hunt.

How do u get more range?

Dave Trumbo II
Kouts, IN
219-309-9257
Home of :
"GR NT CH TBO's Lucy Lawless"

R.I.P. :
"GR NT CH Chief Executive"
"GR NT CH Trumbos Lady"

Old Post 10-04-2013 07:13 PM
TBO kennels is offline Click Here to See the Profile for TBO kennels Click here to Send TBO kennels a Private Message Find more posts by TBO kennels Add TBO kennels to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce M. Conkey

You put a good aftermarket antenna on your collars and make sure your connection is clean, put good 14" antenna or folding antenna on your handheld. Update everything and range should be one mile.

Last edited by on 10-10-2013 at 12:34 PM

Old Post 10-04-2013 10:14 PM
Dan Vincent
UKC Forum Member

Alpha hand held

Good thread Bruce. On my Alpha if I stop tracking on a collar, then start tracking again. The collar won't link up. What I have to do is delete the collar out of the hand held, then reload it back in then it will link up and work fine. Never had to do this on my 320 with dc30. Thanks for any help you can give me on this.

Old Post 10-05-2013 02:48 PM
Dan Vincent is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dan Vincent Click here to Send Dan Vincent a Private Message Find more posts by Dan Vincent Add Dan Vincent to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce M. Conkey

Dan this is the first time I heard of this. I will do this on mine this afternoon and see just what it does. One thing that comes to mind is, I would check your ID number when your stop tracking and when you have to re-enter it see if it comes back as the same number.

Old Post 10-05-2013 04:54 PM
Dan Vincent
UKC Forum Member

Thanks I'll check that out. Actually one of my hunting buddies Alpha will do the same thing. Were running coyote and have a lot of collars going at once so I shut the ones of not in use

Old Post 10-06-2013 01:35 PM
Dan Vincent is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dan Vincent Click here to Send Dan Vincent a Private Message Find more posts by Dan Vincent Add Dan Vincent to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce M. Conkey

Garmin Repair out of warranty dog tracking products.

If you have a DC 30 or 40 or an astro 220/320 out of warranty you can call garmin at 1800-800-1020 and go through the automated system and get the dog tracking group. I always try and call right at 9am eastern and get right through.
You tell them whats wrong and give them the serial number off your device. They will give an RMA number and send them in with it.

Collars are $90 to replace
Astros are $150
plus shipping

They replace what you send in with a refurbished device and give you a 30 day warranty.

Old Post 10-08-2013 07:58 PM
Andy Bates
UKC Forum Member

Does the same truck mount ant. that worked on 220 and 320 work for the alpha? thanks

Old Post 10-08-2013 09:46 PM
Andy Bates is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Andy Bates Click here to Send Andy Bates a Private Message Click Here to Email Andy Bates Find more posts by Andy Bates Add Andy Bates to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
travis gideon
UKC Forum Member

Bruce,

I have not yet read up on this and thought I'd ask and see if you know what to do before digging in....when I ordered my Alpha it did not have the distance measuring option, so I updated it and it's now on there BUT when I updated it I now have colored triangles representing my dogs on the map screen instead of the dog symbols. I liked the dog symbols so it showed the dog treeing on the map screen, how do I get the triangles off and get the dogs symbols back?

Thanks!

Alexandria, IN
270-763-2151 Cell#
E-mail: travisgideon@msn.com

English-
UKC Gr.Nt.Ch. PKC CH Baby Stakes Champion Top 10 Futurity Oakwood's Emma (RIP-1/10/15)
UKC Nt.Ch. PKC SCH Oakwood's Sunkist (semen/RIP/co-owned with Shane Cannon)
UKC Gr.Nt.Ch. '98 English Day's High Scoring Male Sat. Oakwood's Blue Bomber (RIP)

Walkers-
UKC Gr.Nt.Ch. Raintree Hardwood Daisy (RIP)
UKC Nt.Ch. Big Woods Bubba (RIP/co-owned with Wes Coffman)

RED HOT KENNEL (feists)
Feist's-
NKC SQ CH ATFA GR SQ CH SOS Willie (RIP)
ATFA SQ CH Red Hot Dolly

Old Post 10-08-2013 11:59 PM
travis gideon is offline Click Here to See the Profile for travis gideon Click here to Send travis gideon a Private Message Click Here to Email travis gideon Find more posts by travis gideon Add travis gideon to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce M. Conkey

Andy the answer is yes, same antenna.

Travis click on map then dog setup then select show dog on map.

Last edited by on 10-09-2013 at 12:40 AM

Old Post 10-09-2013 12:13 AM
Andy Bates
UKC Forum Member

Ok, got another question how do you get to the measure distance on the alpha? I cant find it anywhere

Old Post 10-09-2013 12:37 AM
Andy Bates is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Andy Bates Click here to Send Andy Bates a Private Message Click Here to Email Andy Bates Find more posts by Andy Bates Add Andy Bates to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dumbdog1988
Banned

heres a tip~ if u replace the screws on your dc40 make sure u replace them with stainless steel or black steel. I replaced mine with just regular screws that were not stainless and they rusted pretty bad. Had a hard time backing them out.

Zach

Old Post 10-09-2013 02:06 AM
dumbdog1988 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dumbdog1988 Click here to Send dumbdog1988 a Private Message Find more posts by dumbdog1988 Add dumbdog1988 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
travis gideon
UKC Forum Member

[/B][/QUOTE]Travis click on map then dog setup then select show dog on map. [/B][/QUOTE]

Thanks, I'll do it before I go tonight!

Alexandria, IN
270-763-2151 Cell#

English-
UKC Gr.Nt.Ch. PKC CH Baby Stakes Champion Top 10 Futurity Oakwood's Emma (RIP-1/10/15)
UKC Gr.Nt.Ch. '98 English Day's High Scoring Male Sat. Oakwood's Blue Bomber (RIP)

Walkers-

RED HOT KENNEL (feists)
Feist's-
ATFA SQ CH Red Hot Dolly

Old Post 10-09-2013 02:18 AM
travis gideon is offline Click Here to See the Profile for travis gideon Click here to Send travis gideon a Private Message Click Here to Email travis gideon Find more posts by travis gideon Add travis gideon to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
travis gideon
UKC Forum Member

Got it, thanks Bruce!!!

Alexandria, IN
270-763-2151 Cell#

English-

Walkers-

RED HOT KENNEL (feists)
Feist's-
ATFA SQ CH Red Hot Dolly

Old Post 10-09-2013 05:19 AM
Dan Vincent
UKC Forum Member

Bruce back to the Alpha when the tracking is stopped on the collar then latter restarted and doesn't link up it still has the correct ID number. If I delete the collar then reload it with the same number it will link up.

Old Post 10-09-2013 05:58 AM
Bruce M. Conkey

Dan something sounds strange. One of the better points about the ALPHA is how far they could hook up by just adding the id number and not touching the collar. If they can do that they surly can reconnect once tracking has been stopped and restarted.

The first thing that comes to mind is your antennas and their connection. I would take the antenna off of your TT-10 and check the connection and I think you will find it slightly corroded if it has any age on it. Clean up the connection on the antenna.

If you say it is new I would start in the yard and go about two hundred yards away and add the collar manually. Then stop tracking on it and then restart it. If you can put it on there at two hundred yards you should be able to reconnect.

Old Post 10-09-2013 02:46 PM
Bruce M. Conkey

Andy not sure of the age of the alpha but check out the software in it and it should be 2.9. You do this by selecting setup from the home page. Then scroll to the last item on the list which is ABOUT and select. It will tell you the software version in the ALPHA.
2.9 is the latest.

If you have it then go to your map page and then select menu, the last item should be measure distance.

Old Post 10-09-2013 03:12 PM
Andy Bates
UKC Forum Member

Thanks bruce it says 2.30 I just bought in new last week. ill have to do the update thanks!

Old Post 10-09-2013 08:49 PM
Bruce M. Conkey

Update on Garmin repair/replace pricing

I stated some pricing in another post that is off a little..

dc20 no longer repaired/swapped out.
dc30 $89
dc40 $89

Astro 220 $150
My mistake was in the Astro 320 as they are $130 not $150

Old Post 10-09-2013 09:50 PM
garminguru
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by TBO kennels
Back light on 320 keypad sucks. I can't even see my keys without a flashlight. Also dc40s I have only go about 700 yards even in flat corn country. I wasn't ever happy with my 220 and dc 30s either. It was the same but if I shut it off I'd never pick up that collars. That sux in a Nite hunt.

How do u get more range?

My 320 illuminates the keypad if I am not mistaken. Not very bright though but may increase if you increase the level of the screen. I keep mine turned way down.

Old Post 10-09-2013 11:46 PM
garminguru is offline Click Here to See the Profile for garminguru Click here to Send garminguru a Private Message Find more posts by garminguru Add garminguru to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jsb
UKC Forum Member

Need help

I lost one of the little screws that hold battery pack on any advice where I can't get one. It is one of the six little holding battery pack on. Thank you

Old Post 10-10-2013 01:10 AM
jsb is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jsb Click here to Send jsb a Private Message Click Here to Email jsb Find more posts by jsb Add jsb to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wishiwashunting
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Bruce M. Conkey
Wednesdays Tip

Your only getting 200 yards before you loose signal. That is a sure indication of a VHF antenna problem. The Collar and the Handheld communicate the same as many of the handheld radios do and that is through a VHF signal. The VHF antenna on the collar is the long thin antenna. The VHF antenna on the handheld is the antenna on the right side.
Why is 200 yards the magic number. Because without a VHF antenna you can get 200 yards before losing signal. So if your only getting 200 yards then one of the antennas is not working. First thing to do is determine if it is the collar or the handheld. That can be done buy checking other collars on your handheld or checking your collar with a buddies handheld. The collar antenna goes bad from constant flex and breaks the wire inside. On the Handheld the wire at the bottom of the SMA connection generally gets broke form changing antennas and putting the antenna on to tight and breaking the wire at the bottom of the connection. It can also happen if the nut that holds the sma connection in comes loose. This nut should be checked and kept snug.
One other indication of a vhf antenna problem on the collar is the signal will be in then lost and then picked it back up a few hundred yards away. This is the wire in the antenna broke and periodically making connection.

Mine has always been like this since the day I got it. Works some times and then loses signal but may pick up way on down then loses it again etc. Having trouble tryin to decide if it is The collar or the handheld. Any suggestions?

Home of the Roamin Kennels
PR' Lawyers Roamin Locktight Lucky (Plott)
PR' Lawyer's Atchafalaya Queen (Bluetick) RIP
PR' Lawyer's Roamin Cazadora "Cassie" (Walker) RIP

Old Post 10-10-2013 01:30 AM
wishiwashunting is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wishiwashunting Click here to Send wishiwashunting a Private Message Click Here to Email wishiwashunting Find more posts by wishiwashunting Add wishiwashunting to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
toe cutter
UKC Forum Member

Bruce

have you seen these? just wondered what you think.
quick connect fittings. sorry ,picture is small. can't seem to get it larger so you can really see them.
looks like the gold one screws onto the ant fitting on the hand held and the others on antennas so you can change out from rubber ducky to roof mount or which ever.

Last edited by toe cutter on 10-10-2013 at 02:52 AM

Old Post 10-10-2013 02:46 AM
toe cutter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for toe cutter Click here to Send toe cutter a Private Message Find more posts by toe cutter Add toe cutter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote