UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Curs and Feists > treeeeeeeee dog
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
plottnation
UKC Forum Member

treeeeeeeee dog

I have a pup that loves to tree I have not had a dog that so tree minded before...Almost to the point of being a problem that I dont really know what to do. I worked him on a hang up one time 2 mths ago not done much with him since...I walked him today he treed on every big tree he walked by...not smelling on them just treeing ...Im thinking treeing idiot....walked to a different block I see him going through the woods and going past big trees and not barking he gets out of sight and starts treeing I get to him I see bushy tale starting to timber ..Shot him out pup sees it coming out goes on him ...ended on a good note.....My problem is if he keeps happy treeing what should I do?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 01-05-2013 11:47 PM
plottnation is offline Click Here to See the Profile for plottnation Click here to Send plottnation a Private Message Find more posts by plottnation Add plottnation to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
huntsmenbob
UKC Forum Member

Guess bout all you can do is kind of ignore him when he trees unless he has the meat then pet him up and shoot it out. Kinda a hard situation you don't want to punish him for treeing but you don't want to praise him either if he is treeing up every tree. Hopefully if you do like above he will eventually straighten out. Was this dog maybe messed with too much on caged game. Too much of that can ruin a dog or set you back a year or two.

Old Post 01-06-2013 12:47 AM
huntsmenbob is offline Click Here to See the Profile for huntsmenbob Click here to Send huntsmenbob a Private Message Click Here to Email huntsmenbob Find more posts by huntsmenbob Add huntsmenbob to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
plottnation
UKC Forum Member

I worked him on a hang up squirrel one time for 10 min. when he was 5 mths he is 7 mths now .He has been running loose for a couple mths

Old Post 01-06-2013 02:06 AM
plottnation is offline Click Here to See the Profile for plottnation Click here to Send plottnation a Private Message Find more posts by plottnation Add plottnation to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sy Sparks
UKC Forum Member

No more hang ups

He treed a sq by himself right, you are going to screw up that dog if you keep messing with him on hang ups. You should only do that if a dog doesn't have tree power or for a puppy to track it and find it. Your dog is already past that it sounds like. Now it's time to take him to the woods.

Old Post 01-06-2013 04:27 PM
Sy Sparks is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sy Sparks Click here to Send Sy Sparks a Private Message Find more posts by Sy Sparks Add Sy Sparks to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
plottnation
UKC Forum Member

Re: No more hang ups

quote:
Originally posted by Sy Sparks
He treed a sq by himself right, you are going to screw up that dog if you keep messing with him on hang ups. You should only do that if a dog doesn't have tree power or for a puppy to track it and find it. Your dog is already past that it sounds like. Now it's time to take him to the woods.
I wrote one hang up one time for ten min. thats all ...2 mths ago

Old Post 01-07-2013 03:41 AM
huntsmenbob
UKC Forum Member

That one hang up shouldn't have hurt it any. It is a young dog. Hopefully it will get it. Just don't praise her until you can see the meat and hopefully she will get it eventually. Dog probably has a colder nose. If she doesn't sort it out in the squirrel woods maybe she will make a good one for coon but if she was young she might straighten out. I have been having that problem some with an older dog this year. Just no squirrels out when I can get out and it has been so long since I got her on a hot one but she is a good dog and if I can get out and put a couple down she will be back to where she belongs. Also seems to me when she is in heat she does that and hopefully maybe she is coming into heat soon.

Old Post 01-11-2013 04:52 AM
huntsmenbob is offline Click Here to See the Profile for huntsmenbob Click here to Send huntsmenbob a Private Message Click Here to Email huntsmenbob Find more posts by huntsmenbob Add huntsmenbob to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote