UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Thyroid level
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
l p w
UKC Forum Member

Thyroid level

Is 1.1 normal thyroid level for a coon hound or does it need pills asking for a friend

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 02-07-2020 12:29 AM
l p w is offline Click Here to See the Profile for l p w Click here to Send l p w a Private Message Click Here to Email l p w Find more posts by l p w Add l p w to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
steve bankston
UKC Forum Member

Thyroid level

Normal Thyroid is 0.8 to 3.5. So yes, 1.1 is normal though it’s on the low end of normal. Like to see it around 2 or better. If it was my hound I would put it in 0.7 thyroid pill once a day. Given an hour before feeding time so it will absorb into his system and the thyroid get all the good from it before you feed him. Will make a huge difference in how they perform when you get that thyroid level up to where it really needs to be. Good Luck

Old Post 02-07-2020 01:43 AM
steve bankston is offline Click Here to See the Profile for steve bankston Click here to Send steve bankston a Private Message Click Here to Email steve bankston Find more posts by steve bankston Add steve bankston to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jgarrett
UKC Forum Member

I have done a ton of research on thyroid problems and it is a complicated condition to understand and manage. One test is not sufficient to make a decision to put a dog on medication. There are a number of things that can cause thyroid levels to temporary drop. 1.1 is in the normal range and the 2 hounds I dealt with tested well below 1.0. Giving dogs thyrotabs that doesn’t need them can cause permanent damage to their thyroid gland. I would recommend finding a good vet and follow their advice and doing as much research as possible on the subject.

Old Post 02-07-2020 02:19 AM
Jgarrett is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jgarrett Click here to Send Jgarrett a Private Message Click Here to Email Jgarrett Find more posts by Jgarrett Add Jgarrett to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

My vet said that 1.5 was the low end of normal. My dog was .9. We did the 4 panel test and it was still low. Have had him him on thyroid pills for 3+ months starting at .5 a day to now 1.5 a day and he tested 1.1. So I don't know the answer. As far as hunting he will have 4-5 good hunts and then just falls apart. This is a really nice hound when he's right but when he's not he doesn't look very good. Don't know whether to go higher on the meds of not. Waiting on a call from the vet to talk about it.

Old Post 02-07-2020 04:30 AM
Preacher Tom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Preacher Tom Click here to Send Preacher Tom a Private Message Click Here to Email Preacher Tom Find more posts by Preacher Tom Add Preacher Tom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shane smith
UKC Forum Member

My experience with thyroid medicine is that it is a time realise pill. You must give them one every 12 hours. My female is on .6 twice a day

Grand Nite Ch. P.K.C. Ch Oak Run Shine

Grand Nite Ch P.K.C. Platinum Ch Wild Bill

Bills Wild Bear

Duel Stack Mack

NT. CH The Wild Bill Show

Minklers Kansas Thunder semen

Old Post 02-07-2020 04:40 AM
shane smith is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shane smith Click here to Send shane smith a Private Message Click Here to Email shane smith Find more posts by shane smith Add shane smith to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by shane smith
My experience with thyroid medicine is that it is a time realise pill. You must give them one every 12 hours. My female is on .6 twice a day

Shane the vets and studies are divided on whether once a day or twice is best. I have tried it both ways on my dog and can't see a difference but that may be because the pills are not really helping much.

Old Post 02-07-2020 03:30 PM
Preacher Tom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Preacher Tom Click here to Send Preacher Tom a Private Message Click Here to Email Preacher Tom Find more posts by Preacher Tom Add Preacher Tom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

Shane Smith I would also be interested as to what your dogs T4 level is now? What did it start at and how much improvement did you get. With mine .9 to 1.1 doesn't seem like it's enough.

Old Post 02-07-2020 03:31 PM
Jgarrett
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Preacher Tom
My vet said that 1.5 was the low end of normal. My dog was .9. We did the 4 panel test and it was still low. Have had him him on thyroid pills for 3+ months starting at .5 a day to now 1.5 a day and he tested 1.1. So I don't know the answer. As far as hunting he will have 4-5 good hunts and then just falls apart. This is a really nice hound when he's right but when he's not he doesn't look very good. Don't know whether to go higher on the meds of not. Waiting on a call from the vet to talk about it.

Stress is a major factor in where a dog’s levels will test and hunting stresses their body. Depending on what is causing your dog’s hypothyroidism matters too. If it’s autoimmune ( genetic) then their body is producing autoimmune antibodies that bind to the cells where the T4 is absorbed and it doesn’t matter how much of a dose you give the dog they can’t absorb it.

My dogs were above average hounds too and after 2 yrs of adjusting medication types, doses, hunting schedules and several thousand $$ in test & medication I didn’t have a dog anywhere close to what I had before. No more thyroid dogs for this boy.

Old Post 02-07-2020 06:02 PM
Jgarrett is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jgarrett Click here to Send Jgarrett a Private Message Click Here to Email Jgarrett Find more posts by Jgarrett Add Jgarrett to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Thyroid

When an animal has a normal thyroid it produces the amount needed daily, which can vary depending on a lot of variables. When the thyroid is messed up and we have to give thyroid meds it's very difficult to provide the exact amount an animal needs on a daily basis. Vets try to stay in an acceptable range which may orf may not be ideal for every dog. What works can actually change with added demands in the dogs system, it's a trial and error method to get it close to right, but it's better than no treatment at all. Dave

Old Post 02-07-2020 11:51 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shane smith
UKC Forum Member

Every thyroid medicine that I know of is a 12 hour pill. To keep everything even you have to give then a pill every 12 hours. I know I'll have people argue with me about this, but after a lot of research and experience, that is the only way I got accurate results. Shine was a .9 when I started her on medicine. She started at .8 twice a day. After 30 days she tested at a 2.8 and was crawling out of her skin. Lowered her to .6 twice a day and after 30 days, she tested closer to a 2.3 and was back to her normal self. This is a dog that was hunted hard.

I do agree that a large percentage of a low thyroid is caused by other issues. Don't jump on the thyroid boat unless you have eliminated everything else. Also every dog is different. You have to find their happy number. It might be a 1.5 or it might be a 3. And unless you hunt your dog hard several nights a week, you will never know.

Bills Wild Bear

Duel Stack Mack

Last edited by shane smith on 02-09-2020 at 04:30 PM

Old Post 02-08-2020 07:52 AM
shane smith is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shane smith Click here to Send shane smith a Private Message Click Here to Email shane smith Find more posts by shane smith Add shane smith to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Josh Michaelis
UKC Forum Member

They are all thyroid dogs if you check them often enough

In my experience, unless they are showing physical symptoms it is not worth the hassle of the thyroid meds. People are too quick to just start shoving pills down their throats.

Old Post 02-08-2020 02:29 PM
Josh Michaelis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Josh Michaelis Click here to Send Josh Michaelis a Private Message Click Here to Email Josh Michaelis Find more posts by Josh Michaelis Add Josh Michaelis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sonny Phipps
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by shane smith
Every thyroid medicine that I know of is a 12 hour pill. To keep everything even you have to give then a pill every 24 hours. I know I'll have people argue with me about this, but after a lot of research and experience, that is the only way I got accurate results. Shine was a .9 when I started her on medicine. She started at .8 twice a day. After 30 days she tested at a 2.8 and was crawling out of her skin. Lowered her to .6 twice a day and after 30 days, she tested closer to a 2.3 and was back to her normal self. This is a dog that was hunted hard.

I do agree that a large percentage of a low thyroid is caused by other issues. Don't jump on the thyroid boat unless you have eliminated everything else. Also every dog is different. You have to find their happy number. It might be a 1.5 or it might be a 3. And unless you hunt your dog hard several nights a week, you will never know.

I agree 110% . I have tried saying the same thing on here and folks don’t listen.

Old Post 02-09-2020 03:50 PM
Sonny Phipps is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sonny Phipps Click here to Send Sonny Phipps a Private Message Click Here to Email Sonny Phipps Find more posts by Sonny Phipps Add Sonny Phipps to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sonny Phipps
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Josh Michaelis
They are all thyroid dogs if you check them often enough

In my experience, unless they are showing physical symptoms it is not worth the hassle of the thyroid meds. People are too quick to just start shoving pills down their throats.

Another statement I agree with completely.

Old Post 02-09-2020 03:51 PM
Sonny Phipps is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sonny Phipps Click here to Send Sonny Phipps a Private Message Click Here to Email Sonny Phipps Find more posts by Sonny Phipps Add Sonny Phipps to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
2ol2hunt
UKC Forum Member

If a dog is on the medicine for thyroid condition how long does it take to show a different result in their hunting if you quit giving it to them?

Old Post 02-09-2020 04:38 PM
2ol2hunt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 2ol2hunt Click here to Send 2ol2hunt a Private Message Click Here to Email 2ol2hunt Find more posts by 2ol2hunt Add 2ol2hunt to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shane smith
UKC Forum Member

Well I know it takes 30 to 45 days after starting the medication to be able to get an accurate test to see if the dosage needs adjusted. I've never taken one off the medication. My thyroid dog's looked sick. Lost hair around the eyes. Doesn't seem right to ever take them off of it

Bills Wild Bear

Duel Stack Mack

Old Post 02-09-2020 05:33 PM
shane smith
UKC Forum Member

Well I know it takes 30 to 45 days after starting the medication to be able to get an accurate test to see if the dosage needs adjusted. I've never taken one off the medication. My thyroid dog's looked sick. Lost hair around the eyes. Doesn't seem right to ever take them off of it

Bills Wild Bear

Duel Stack Mack

Old Post 02-09-2020 05:33 PM
2ol2hunt
UKC Forum Member

A friend of mine bought a thyroid dog and never gave him the medicine for 3 months and said he couldn't tell any difference is why I asked. I've never had one so I didn't know.

Old Post 02-09-2020 07:58 PM
2ol2hunt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 2ol2hunt Click here to Send 2ol2hunt a Private Message Click Here to Email 2ol2hunt Find more posts by 2ol2hunt Add 2ol2hunt to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shane smith
UKC Forum Member

If you only hunt a dog a couple times a week then you probably would not ever be able to tell

Bills Wild Bear

Duel Stack Mack

Old Post 02-09-2020 09:55 PM
thomasg
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Jgarrett
Stress is a major factor in where a dog’s levels will test and hunting stresses their body. Depending on what is causing your dog’s hypothyroidism matters too. If it’s autoimmune ( genetic) then their body is producing autoimmune antibodies that bind to the cells where the T4 is absorbed and it doesn’t matter how much of a dose you give the dog they can’t absorb it.

My dogs were above average hounds too and after 2 yrs of adjusting medication types, doses, hunting schedules and several thousand $$ in test & medication I didn’t have a dog anywhere close to what I had before. No more thyroid dogs for this boy.

. As soon as a dog test positive for tgaa it is a thyroid dog .

Old Post 02-10-2020 02:14 AM
thomasg is offline Click Here to See the Profile for thomasg Click here to Send thomasg a Private Message Click Here to Email thomasg Find more posts by thomasg Add thomasg to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by thomasg
. As soon as a dog test positive for tgaa it is a thyroid dog .

Y’all put your dogs out in all the extreme elements night after night then they get tired and you check their thyroid and its low and you wonder why ?

Work 12 hour shifts all week and check yours and see what you get.

Them pills don’t do nothing but give the person that’s giving them to their dog false hope.

If the dogs sickley or all a sudden lacking ability in the woods that’s because it’s because of its genetic makeup nothing changes that.

Tar

Old Post 02-10-2020 12:37 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
thomasg
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by yadkintar
Y’all put your dogs out in all the extreme elements night after night then they get tired and you check their thyroid and its low and you wonder why ?

Work 12 hour shifts all week and check yours and see what you get.

Them pills don’t do nothing but give the person that’s giving them to their dog false hope.

If the dogs sickley or all a sudden lacking ability in the woods that’s because it’s because of its genetic makeup nothing changes that.

Tar

testing breeding stock is so simple a cave man can do it,it can be done now in your living room at your house without all those trips to the vet ,hemo pet canine autoimmune thyroiditis screening kit {tgaa} 25 $ ,

Old Post 02-10-2020 01:29 PM
thomasg is offline Click Here to See the Profile for thomasg Click here to Send thomasg a Private Message Click Here to Email thomasg Find more posts by thomasg Add thomasg to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
testing breeding stock is so simple a cave man can do it,it can be done now in your living room at your house without all those trips to the vet ,hemo pet canine autoimmune thyroiditis screening kit {tgaa} 25 $ ,

I don’t need to know ! If it’s got it I don’t want it and nobody else will own it simple as that !!

Tar

Old Post 02-10-2020 01:33 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
thomasg
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by yadkintar
I don’t need to know ! If it’s got it I don’t want it and nobody else will own it simple as that !!

Tar

I have always heard curiosity killed the cat ,lol before you breed that next female show up a month early with your test kit at the breeders house and get ya a blood sample so ya know what to expect ,lol

Old Post 02-10-2020 02:34 PM
thomasg
UKC Forum Member

Re: Thyroid level

quote:
Originally posted by l p w
Is 1.1 normal thyroid level for a coon hound or does it need pills asking for a friend
my English male tested 1,4 , he can at times be more dog than I can follow in these thin coon in the Ozark hill country ,

Old Post 02-10-2020 02:46 PM
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

quote:
I have always heard curiosity killed the cat ,lol before you breed that next female show up a month early with your test kit at the breeders house and get ya a blood sample so ya know what to expect ,lol

The breeders dog has never taken a thyroid pill in his life or any other daily med, he will be 7 in a couple of weeks. His daddy just died a 13 last month and had also never been a thyriod dog. Being up front and honest the one thing these dogs do get is occasionally seasonal allergies in the early summer and sometimes late summer when it's dry and dusty and crops are being cut. I give them zyrtec for this and 2x for Shack have gotten him an allergy shot and put on antibiotics for a week.
You don't fix what's not broken. What level may be perfectly normal for one dog may not be for another and all to often a number that is within range but maybe on the lower end is used as an excuse. Another thing many don't realize is that giving pills destroys the natural production. Levels are different at different times of the day and all sorts of things can alter a dogs levels just like a humans. A dog that is worn down and or sick will most likely test low, treat the condition and it quite often will level back to normal. Females varies with their hear cycle throughout the year. This is all normal!

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER PRO SPORT TRUCK WINNER

RIP
*GRNITECH PKC SCH REDNECK MAFIA PKC HALL OF FAME REPRODUCER INDUCTED 2022
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Old Post 02-10-2020 07:21 PM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote