UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Off Topic > The Gardening Thread
Pages (18): « First ... « 12 13 [14] 15 16 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Rex Ridge
UKC Forum Member

When we had the garden, I grilled cabbage, too. I haven't found a way to use cabbage that I don't like😉
I planted some sunflowers and the deer are them off, they were mixed in with some lilies in the FRONT yard. We have a porcupine destroying a pear tree. Chuck walks out every night around 11 pm hoping to find it, but it's coming in later.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 07-07-2020 07:57 PM
Rex Ridge is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rex Ridge Click here to Send Rex Ridge a Private Message Find more posts by Rex Ridge Add Rex Ridge to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ridgerunner1988
UKC Forum Member

We got white half runner greenbeans that are ready to pick already sold a few bushels. Ambrosa sweet corn has some pretty decent ears on them will be ready in a week if we can keep the coons out of it. Lol Got okra growing to but will be a little while before it's ready. Picked a bunch of peppers and cucumbers today. Our tomatoes are coming along pretty good. Some rain would do some good it's not been raining much around here like we need for our crops, an inch of rain a week is ideal for a garden to produce really good but that hardly ever happens. They will sale no matter what though especially as cheap as we always sale the green beans for but it keeps our customers happy so that's what matters.

Old Post 07-07-2020 09:04 PM
Ridgerunner1988 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ridgerunner1988 Click here to Send Ridgerunner1988 a Private Message Find more posts by Ridgerunner1988 Add Ridgerunner1988 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

I forgot to post on the lettuce.... I've planted 3 times now just a little bit at a time and had planned on doing a continuous crop throughout the summer into fall. Lettuce nearly always gets bitter when it bolts but these are young, tender and watered daily yet very bitter. I think I will wait until later in August for the next planting.

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER

RIP
*GRNITECH PKC SCH REDNECK MAFIA PKC HALL OF FAME REPRODUCER INDUCTED 2022
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Old Post 07-07-2020 10:07 PM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rex Ridge
UKC Forum Member

My friend brought us down supper one day we were making hay. It included spaghetti with her homemade sauce and a salad with some lettuce out if her garden. It was nice and tender.

Chuck got the porcupine last night, but the deer got the rest of my sunflowers the night before.

Old Post 07-10-2020 03:58 AM
Rex Ridge is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rex Ridge Click here to Send Rex Ridge a Private Message Find more posts by Rex Ridge Add Rex Ridge to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

Getting quite a few cucumbers and I'm going to have to start making some pickles and relish. Mom got one good picking of green beans and canned a bunch of them. Squash and okra are starting to come on really good. I finally picked my first red tomato today! Plants have a bunch of green ones and lots of new blooms so hopefully before long I'll be canning tomatoes and salsa.
Been terribly hot and dry here for most of the month and the humidity has been horrible! We have rain forecast for next week coming off the hurricane that is hitting Texas right now. I went and got some new soaker hoses a couple of weeks ago.
My grandma who I mention often here was moved into a nursing facility last month against my and moms will. She has short term memory loss but aside from that gets around great and can work a grown man in the ground at 93! I'm still pretty upset about losing my blackberry picking and gardening buddy. I've lived near her except a few years when Chey and I were first married since I was 5 years old.
Today Cheyenne weedeated down my little spot in the garden where I had the broccoli and cabbage since they were done. Saved me from pulling them lol! I think I will till it back up before long and replant another group for a later fall/early winter harvest. I saw a few bugs on the tomato plants today so I've got to get them sprayed tomorrow evening.
Potato plants have died back so I can harvest them but I've just been getting a few at a time as I need them. There is not much better than green beans with new potatoes!
How I cook them...
Fry bacon cut into pieces with onion.
When done add fresh green beans washed and snipped (mom snaps hers into pieces, I leave mine whole)
New potatoes the little ones I leave whole the bigger ones I chunk up.
Water not quite enough to cover. Then salt and pepper to taste and a little sugar to balance the flavors.
Bring to a boil then reduce heat cover and let it simmer until potatoes are tender. I like using my Dutch oven kettle or my deep cast iron skillet.
Jen

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE

RIP
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Last edited by Redneck Mafia on 07-26-2020 at 07:54 AM

Old Post 07-26-2020 07:50 AM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

Been getting enough rain here in August that my yard is now nice and green and we've had to do just minimal watering of the garden plants. Today I finished what I started yesterday and got the weeds pulled around what's all still going strong and used my new method lol of using the weedeater on the rest. Everything is looking pretty good but Cheyenne noticed that the tomato plants in his back bed by the house had a few bugs so I've got to get them treated tomorrow. Those plants, though in mostly full sun, have been slower to produce ripe tomatoes than the ones in my little garden on the south side. They do have a ton of green ones right now and most are old heirloom varieties so I'm not sure if it's the plant type or the location.
I've got to get to pickle and relish canning as the cucumbers are taking over. I did find several on the ground vines that have chew marks and we've been seeing rabbits in the yard. Ol Red and Lizzy need to step it up, the yard coonhounds are forgetting their trashy ways!
I have decided that next year I am going to wait a little while longer to plant a few of the herbs like my dill and cilantro. It is almost done by the time it is time to pickle and can salsa. Every year even though most of us have been doing this most of our lives we find some way we can improve our outcome or method.
I always look forward to a little bit of cooler weather that comes with fall but there is nothing better than all the fresh produce going straight from the garden to the dinner table!
Happy gardening everyone,
Jen

"TEAM MAFIA"

RIP

Old Post 08-17-2020 05:48 AM
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

Strangely it is Oct and I've been canning tomatoes and still have tons of green ones. Several had died out in August but the survivors have been enjoying these cooler nights and are still producing. A few nights ago I canned 7 quart of juice and have about that much more to put up. Two sweet pepper plants have also decided to start growing and producing after a summer of pretty much nothing from them. What we haven't ate I chop up into freezer bags for wintertime cooking.
My youngest grandson turns 6 months old this month so it is time to start him on some solid foods. With his main source of nutrients coming straight from the tap (momma) we have not been in a hurry to get him eating baby food. We've been making stage 1 (very smooth texture) and freezing it. After cooking or steaming (don't over do it loses nutrients with over cooking) I then puree in my food processor. Miranda had bought baby food making kit that had an electric food pureer The Baby Bullet, it was useless. Some foods require a little of the water from cooking to get the proper smooth texture for the little ones, older babies food can have small chunks. After pureeing it is put into either containers made for freezing baby food or ice trays work great. When the trays are frozen pop out and place into marked freezer bags. I did this for his older sister and she never ate a jar of baby food from the store. There really is nothing like knowing where the foods that go into these little tummies came from.

"TEAM MAFIA"

RIP

Old Post 10-14-2020 06:07 AM
yadkinriver
UKC Forum Member

Calling for frost here this weekend so guess I'd better pick all my green tomatoes and sit them out to riped. Sometimes have tomatoes for close to a month by doing this.

Old Post 10-14-2020 01:49 PM
yadkinriver is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkinriver Click here to Send yadkinriver a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkinriver Visit yadkinriver's homepage! Find more posts by yadkinriver Add yadkinriver to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by yadkinriver
Calling for frost here this weekend so guess I'd better pick all my green tomatoes and sit them out to riped. Sometimes have tomatoes for close to a month by doing this.

Chey and I picked all mine Thursday evening. I may make myself 1 jar of pickled green tomatoes from the smallest ones. It didn't frost here but did at Mom's a 1/2 mile down the road but she lives in the creek bottom. Grandma always stored her green tomatoes in the basement and quite often we would be having them up into December. I know many wrap them in newspaper to ripen that way. I usually just set them in the kitchen window.
I also picked quite a few herbs I hung upside down to dry. There was volunteer dill and cilantro that had sprouted back up from fallen seed 😁 perfect for the pickled green tomatoes and a last batch of salsa!
I built our first fire tonight in the wood stove. I read Bob Hennessy got snow last night! We are needing some rain here pretty bad.

"TEAM MAFIA"

RIP

Old Post 10-17-2020 06:37 AM
Rex Ridge
UKC Forum Member

We had 3 frosts in a row in September. We didn't have a garden, but my friend said it got her tomatoes.
Chuck started our outside wood burner last week. Staying warm now. I saw Bob's post, I'm not ready for snow yet and I guess that's a good thing because the forecast is for 70° days later this week.

Old Post 10-19-2020 11:33 PM
yadkinriver
UKC Forum Member

ttt

Old Post 11-27-2020 12:11 PM
yadkinriver is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkinriver Click here to Send yadkinriver a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkinriver Visit yadkinriver's homepage! Find more posts by yadkinriver Add yadkinriver to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

I'm accidentally growing lettuce. All of a sudden nice bright green tender lettuce has sprouted in my little garden bed. It must have came from part that got bitter this summer and I let bolt and go to seed. It's a nice December surprise though I've never had happen before. We've had plenty of below freezing nights and frost that should have gotten it but it looks and is growing great.
After Thanksgiving I used so of those tomatoes that I had picked as green ones back a couple of months ago on sandwiches. It's so nice to still be enjoying the garden fresh vegetables into the cold weather.
I'm hoping Chey can help me to get some more compost put on the garden to winter over and be ready for spring planting. Just think in about 3 months it will be time to plant potatoes again and start seeds!

"TEAM MAFIA"

RIP

Old Post 12-07-2020 08:26 PM
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

I lost my gardening buddy late last night but l have zero doubt that there was a celebration in heaven as it gained another angel. I'm hoping that God has a little piece of dirt for her to tend to and even a few rocks to pick up.
Grandma taught me so many things but most of all love. Love of life and it's many little blessings. Love of family, neighbors and friends. Love of the land and how it can sustain us. Love of her lord and savior who she served all the days of her life. Till we meet again granny❤ happy gardening!

"TEAM MAFIA"

RIP

Old Post 01-14-2021 11:32 AM
RC-Abby
UKC Forum Member

Sorry to here!

She has given you the knowledge of love, kindness and gardening to remember her by. Grasp hold of these memories until you can be together again.

Prayers Be With You!

Randi Bidlack

Old Post 01-14-2021 11:48 AM
RC-Abby is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RC-Abby Click here to Send RC-Abby a Private Message Find more posts by RC-Abby Add RC-Abby to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rex Ridge
UKC Forum Member

So sorry, Jen. You have our condolences 🙏

Old Post 01-15-2021 05:28 AM
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

Getting to be that time of year again!

Today I worked on cleaning up some of Chey's flower beds and clearing some brush. Irises and lilies are coming up and my grandson Kase picked me some daffodils this week. They are a nice touch of spring in the kitchen window after a nasty cold snowy icy February. In the valley at Mom's just down the road one mornings low was -21, a temp not seen here in right at 100 years. I don't know how you northerners do it!
Tonight I'm heading to get seed potatoes to plant Wednesday on St. Patrick's day. Tomorrow I'll chunk them up and set them lay them out to air dry so they will be ready for planting. This will help prevent them from rotting after planting. I still haven't decided what method I'll use for growing them. Last year I made a bed at the end of my little garden for them but Chey is thinking of cutting a couple of trees down and moving/expanding it for me into a bigger garden spot with plenty of sunlight 😊😊😊. For those of you who have followed this thread for the years that we've had it going you know this is something I've wanted for a long time! Today it was his idea lol. Back to the tators... if the garden space is going to be moved I'm thinking of using the tire method again. It's worked well for me in the past but I've got to find an inconspicuous spot as he won't even think of letting a bunch of old tires be stacked up in the yard. It's Rednecked up around here enough all ready 😂. Hound dogs running loose, dog houses at the edge of the woods and 3 kennel pens and a chicken coops are one thing but God forbid we add old tires stacked up to grow food into the mix.
Tires method... put a few seed potatoes on the ground inside a tire and cover with straw and dirt when they spout through that cover again. Stack additional tires on top and keep adding straw and soil as the top spot through. When ready to harvest take it down. Your potatoes will have grown the entire height of the tire stack. Mine usually just end up about 3 or 4 high but I've seen them taller than me. Some people also use pallets to make a box and use the same method adding a little more dirt and straw until the box is full.
Get out and get those hands dirty!
Happy Gardening Everyone,
Jen

"TEAM MAFIA"

RIP

Old Post 03-14-2021 01:27 AM
micooner
UKC Forum Member

Maybe spray paint the tires white???

Old Post 03-14-2021 07:10 PM
micooner is offline Click Here to See the Profile for micooner Click here to Send micooner a Private Message Click Here to Email micooner Find more posts by micooner Add micooner to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

Cold Front!

Today the high was near 70°. Tomorrow high here is 42° and low of 27° with a 90% chance of snow. Glad I don't have the garden planted yet but a lot around here when the warm weather came have been getting an early start. I am hoping it get my peony plants they are full of buds. Chey was going to get annuals for his planters over the weekend but decided to hold off until 1st of May. After a cold late winter and those -20° temps we've been taking the cautious approach this year.
Cover or bring in anything you don't want frozen 🤞! Supposed to be near 80° by the first of next week. Crazy Missouri weather if we don't like it wait 5 minutes and it will change lol.

"TEAM MAFIA"

RIP

Old Post 04-20-2021 03:48 AM
Driftwoodblue
UKC Forum Member

sweet potatoes

you ever try growing sweet potatoes in a mineral tub? thinking about trying it this year.
. any suggestions?

Old Post 04-20-2021 01:47 PM
Driftwoodblue is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Driftwoodblue Click here to Send Driftwoodblue a Private Message Find more posts by Driftwoodblue Add Driftwoodblue to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

Re: sweet potatoes

quote:
Originally posted by Driftwoodblue
you ever try growing sweet potatoes in a mineral tub? thinking about trying it this year.
. any suggestions?

I don't see why it wouldn't work. Make sure to drill some holes in the bottom and I would put some rock in the bottom for adequate drainage. Another thing that can be used to line the bottom of containers used as planters is packing peanuts.

"TEAM MAFIA"

RIP

Old Post 04-21-2021 02:55 PM
RC-Abby
UKC Forum Member

Planting Time?? LOL!

Monday morning (4-19) I worked manure/dirt into my garden. Soil really mixed nice. This morning (7:00am) 28 degrees and 6 inches of snow on my garden. Just had to laugh, must not be time to plant yet.

Randi

Old Post 04-21-2021 07:07 PM
RC-Abby is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RC-Abby Click here to Send RC-Abby a Private Message Find more posts by RC-Abby Add RC-Abby to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rex Ridge
UKC Forum Member

The cherry, plum, pear and peach trees were in blossom and we got 2 days of snow last week ☹ Hopefully, we'll get apples and blueberries. I fell off my horse and hurt my shoulder in March so I'm hoping to get my flower beds cleaned out and worked up without making it worse.

Old Post 04-27-2021 03:06 AM
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

I bought 16 tomato plants today and some red peppers. I haven't worked the ground up yet and I need to add in some compost before they can go in the ground. That April cold spell and snow has me behind this year and hesitant about a late frost after a colder longer winter. I will probably just put them out on the back deck and hope to get them in the ground sometime next week. There haven't been enough hours in the day lately to get much extra accomplished!
Rex Ridge, trees down here were the fruit trees blooming too I hope the freeze and snow doesn't harm their harvest either. Take it easy on that shoulder!

"TEAM MAFIA"

RIP

Old Post 04-28-2021 05:35 AM
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

Beautiful day here today after a low of 38° this morning! I pulled weeds in the flower beds and worked in the garden until nearly dark. The little garden is ready for planting.
Chey's lawn mower quit this week so I've hired a lawn service to come tomorrow and mow. I hope it gets fixed soon before he gets to used to them doing his work for him. I can just see him kicked back in the shade enjoying a cold one while they get the grass mowed every week lol!

"TEAM MAFIA"

RIP

Old Post 05-06-2021 05:24 AM
RC-Abby
UKC Forum Member

Lost track

Has rained everyday this week I think! Somedays only a 1/10. Wet and cold low temps in low 30s also. Picked up a inch over night. As I type 36 degrees 15 to 20 mph wind from N/E and rain. Sure putting chill back in the ground. Forecast frost/freeze warning next 3 nights.
Plants are doing fine on enclosed (heated) porch.

HAPPY MOTHERS DAY
Randi

Old Post 05-09-2021 02:42 PM