UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Bawl Mouth or Chop Mouth You
Bawl Mouth or Chop Mouth
You do not have permission to vote on this poll.
Chop Mouth 93 48.19%
Bawl Mouth 56 29.02%
Don't Care 44 22.80%
Total: 193 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Mark A. Hauck
UKC Forum Member

Bawl Mouth or Chop Mouth You

tell me which one you like on the TREE?????

I've read where folks say they have a chop mouth tree dog, only to draw out with that very dog and it be a Bawl mouth Tree dog. Now, it doesn't matter which breed, or color, what do you prefer??

To me a chop mouth tree dog is barking every time it opens its mouth, not barking and the bark lasting 3,4,5 seconds, to me thats a bawl mouth dog, some are even longer, some will bark one time to another dogs 10 barks. LOL

As an owner, hunter, breeder, which do you prefer?????

I guess it's just a matter of taste, but I like a dog that peaks my interest, and a bawl mouth dog just doesn't do that for me, I like that loud ringing CHOP on the tree, and of course a tree with the coon in it !!

OK, so what is your preferance ???????????

Chop Mouth

Bawl Mouth

Don't Care

GR NIte CH GR CH'PR' Dalton & Haucks BluRidge Lynn

GR Nite CH GR CH'PR' Southland's So Blue Queen

GR NIte Ch Rogers Blue Molly

Nite CH GR CH'PR' Daltons BluRidge Pat (Full liitermate brother to Smokey II)

Nite CH GR CH GR W CH'PR' Hauck's Carlolina Star

Nite CH GR CH'PR' Southland's Blue Queen II (Daughter of Queen)

GR CH'PR' Southland's Blue Nancy Ann

GR CH'PR' Southland's Blue Ebony (Daughter of Ann)

Nite CH'PR' Southland's Blue River Joe (4 wins to Grand & 15 cast wins !!)

Gr Nite CH CH'PR' Blue River Little Sue (Daughter of Lynn)

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 08-02-2003 05:37 PM
Mark A. Hauck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mark A. Hauck Click here to Send Mark A. Hauck a Private Message Click Here to Email Mark A. Hauck Find more posts by Mark A. Hauck Add Mark A. Hauck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Vickie Lamb
UKC Forum Member

Hello Mark!

One of my dogs is a mixture of bawl and chop. They tell me when he was young he was a bawl mouth tree dog. Now, his previous owner of several years ago has followed him many times and can't believe the difference.

While he used to be almost all bawl, he is now almost all chop, on the tree. He locates with some gorgeous dying bawls, and then turns it over, but he does throw some occasional bawls in there, some times more than others. And when he knows you are coming/and/or close, he is 99.9% chop.

Overall, I like a chop mouth tree dog, but I sure do like this dog and his music sure sounds wonderful to me....

---Vickie

Old Post 08-02-2003 06:21 PM
Vickie Lamb is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Vickie Lamb Click here to Send Vickie Lamb a Private Message Click Here to Email Vickie Lamb Visit Vickie Lamb's homepage! Find more posts by Vickie Lamb Add Vickie Lamb to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
z-town-blue
UKC Forum Member

tree dogs mouth

Mark, i along with you like a chop mouth tree dog. I have heard some bawl mouth dogs that would also get ones attention. I guess that if a dog stays put with a steady rythem , that is whats its all about.. Good Hunting, Murph............

Old Post 08-02-2003 06:32 PM
z-town-blue is offline Click Here to See the Profile for z-town-blue Click here to Send z-town-blue a Private Message Click Here to Email z-town-blue Find more posts by z-town-blue Add z-town-blue to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redtick
Banned

I have had Dual Grand Champion bawl mouthed tree dogs, I have had Dual Grand Champion chopped mouthed tree dogs. I prefer Dual Grand Champions. I have had a number of what I would call short bawl mouthed tree dogs. I prefer any good change on the tree but I know competition hunters that like a change only they can pick up. I have had dogs with a great change-over that other handlers would call their dogs on.

Old Post 08-02-2003 07:00 PM
Redtick is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redtick Click here to Send Redtick a Private Message Click Here to Email Redtick Find more posts by Redtick Add Redtick to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce Ordway
UKC Forum Member

If I can get it, bawl on track, squall locate, chop on tree.
Oh yeah, all three loud and distinctive.

>I prefer Dual Grand Champions<
Yeah, I guess that would be OK too.

Old Post 08-02-2003 08:48 PM
Bruce Ordway is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce Ordway Click here to Send Bruce Ordway a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce Ordway Visit Bruce Ordway's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce Ordway Add Bruce Ordway to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lynn Wilson
UKC Forum Member

I like a bawl on track and a clear changeover to a chop - makes them easier to call. For all practicality they should also be LOUD, but for my own personal preferences, I like a bawl mouth with a pure, clear, musical quality to it that is beautiful to hear. Ahhhhhh nothing like standing under the stars on a moonlit night hearing those music makin hounds...... I know this has nothing to do with actual ability, but I love a purdy voice as long as the dog has the talent to back it up.

People may forget what you said, people may forget what you did, but they will never forget how you made them feel

Old Post 08-02-2003 09:03 PM
Lynn Wilson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lynn Wilson Click here to Send Lynn Wilson a Private Message Click Here to Email Lynn Wilson Visit Lynn Wilson's homepage! Find more posts by Lynn Wilson Add Lynn Wilson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
EnglishBabe
UKC Forum Member

For me...

I like a nice, LOUD, bawl on track with a very easy to call change over on tree! Autumn, my blueticked English gyp, has just that. She has a bawl that will drown out even the loudest Bluetick, lol, the owners of those dogs hate to draw me in a cast, hehe. But once she is sure of a tree, she changes over to a study chop, chop, chop on tree, that can be heard just as well as her track bawl. JMO

Old Post 08-02-2003 09:48 PM
EnglishBabe is offline Click Here to See the Profile for EnglishBabe Click here to Send EnglishBabe a Private Message Click Here to Email EnglishBabe Find more posts by EnglishBabe Add EnglishBabe to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
texhog
UKC Forum Member

I used to prefer a Chop mouth treedog as long as they bawl on track. My Arkie dog gave 2 or 3 long locates then steady chop on tree! Just what I liked!.....Untill my Rock dog came along! Now I love bawl mouth tree dogs as long as they are a certain style. What I mean is if they act like something has ahold of their tail and are screaming their head off at the tree! Chop mouth tree dogs are just not "unique" every mongrel, or cur, or fiest I have ever heard tree all chopped on tree!v But I have never ever heard anything other than a hound Bawl on tree! I guess when I say I like a Bawl mouth tree dog, I really mean a "screaming bawl" mouth treedog.

Old Post 08-02-2003 10:10 PM
texhog is offline Click Here to See the Profile for texhog Click here to Send texhog a Private Message Find more posts by texhog Add texhog to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Town Creek Blue
UKC Forum Member

chop,chop,chop,chop,chop,chop,chop,chop,chop,chop,
chop,chop,chop,chop,chopp,chop,chop,chop,chop,chop
,chop,chop,chop,chop,chop,chop,chop,chop,chop,chop
,chop,chop,chop,chop,chop,chop,chop,CHOP!

I think I prefer,,,,,,,CHOP MOUTH............................TCB

Old Post 08-02-2003 11:26 PM
Town Creek Blue is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Town Creek Blue Click here to Send Town Creek Blue a Private Message Click Here to Email Town Creek Blue Visit Town Creek Blue's homepage! Find more posts by Town Creek Blue Add Town Creek Blue to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bludawg
UKC Forum Member

I also like a chop mouth tree dog. We have a female that has a very distinctive bawl on track, give 3 long dying locates then rolls it over to a fast steady chop. Send chills up your spine!

We also have a male that has a bawl mouth on track and the tree. He also has a long dying locate, his bawl on tree is more like what Mark described. He is a very accurate dog, and has a very nice mouth on him, make a big grin come over your face when you hear him! Not to take anything away from him, I just prefer a chop mouth on the tree.

Keep 'em True 'n Blue!

Jeff-n-Deb Hovious
812-585-9791
317-364-7035
[color=Blue]
Magnum Blue Kennels
NITECH "PR" Mead's Blue Moese Jet Eleven

* In memory of NITECH GRCH "PR" Hovious' Blue Jets' Turbo DNA-P #686556P
* In Memeory of "PR" NITECH Deb's Northen Blue Pokey Dot*

Old Post 08-02-2003 11:27 PM
bludawg is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bludawg Click here to Send bludawg a Private Message Click Here to Email bludawg Find more posts by bludawg Add bludawg to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
John Carroll
UKC Forum Member

I like a smooth, clear, horn bawl or bugle bawl on track if I can get it, and a ringing chop on tree. But I also like the kind of bawl-mouthed tree dogs Kelly described.

I'll say this--I'd sooner have a bawl-mouthed tree dog than a chop mouthed track dog.

Old Post 08-02-2003 11:38 PM
John Carroll is offline Click Here to See the Profile for John Carroll Click here to Send John Carroll a Private Message Click Here to Email John Carroll Find more posts by John Carroll Add John Carroll to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce Ordway
UKC Forum Member

>I'd sooner have a bawl-mouthed tree dog than a chop mouthed track dog<
Isn't that the truth.
I had an old, slow, track straddling chop mouth bluetick called Sadie.
I was just starting out and I loved her but.. I'd never train another one like that now.
I can still hear her, yip yip yip yip, yip yip yip yip, all around the woods, slow as could be.
Must have drove everybody I hunted with just crazy.

Old Post 08-02-2003 11:55 PM
Bruce Ordway is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce Ordway Click here to Send Bruce Ordway a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce Ordway Visit Bruce Ordway's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce Ordway Add Bruce Ordway to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RON CHESNEY JR.
UKC Forum Member

I LOVE THE SOUND OF A BAWL MOUTH TRACK DOG THAT CAN REALLY MOVE TRACK PUT WHEN IT COME TO THE TREE THERES NOTHIN BETTER THEN A NICE BIG BAWL LOCATE AND A CHANGE OVER TO A STEADY HARD RINGGING CHOP THAT JUST MAKE MY NIGHT LOVE COON HUNTIN.

Old Post 08-03-2003 12:51 AM
RON CHESNEY JR. is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RON CHESNEY JR. Click here to Send RON CHESNEY JR. a Private Message Click Here to Email RON CHESNEY JR. Find more posts by RON CHESNEY JR. Add RON CHESNEY JR. to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
willscrk
Banned

i can be happy with either as long as its distinct and steady but i prefer a steady chop everything else being equal.

Old Post 08-03-2003 04:17 PM
willscrk is offline Click Here to See the Profile for willscrk Click here to Send willscrk a Private Message Click Here to Email willscrk Find more posts by willscrk Add willscrk to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
chris baker
UKC Forum Member

When my dog was young untill he was two and a half or there abouts he was all bawl. Track to tree, but he was loud enough that he would drown out most dogs and it would make your ears ring at the tree. Then he started chopping at the tree and it made winning with him lots easier. He sarted locating real hard and then would turn it over. When he hits a good tree off a hot track he will definitly let you know he has done his job. That sends chills up the spine and makes you smile. He still bawls some on the wood but usually a short bawl to a chop. I just like coon dogs that sound like coon dogs and that tree rings not trees. He will miss sometimes but not often.

Old Post 08-04-2003 04:25 AM
chris baker is offline Click Here to See the Profile for chris baker Click here to Send chris baker a Private Message Find more posts by chris baker Add chris baker to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mulberry Blue
UKC Forum Member

Hard to please

I like them to hunt hard, be loud, get treed, and stay until I get there. Whatever it takes to do all the above. If they can and do these things, I'll take it in any package it comes in!!! These type hounds are way too few to get picky about. A lot of people think they have it, only to find out they don't.Good hunting and good hounds.

Old Post 08-04-2003 05:05 AM
Mulberry Blue is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mulberry Blue Click here to Send Mulberry Blue a Private Message Click Here to Email Mulberry Blue Find more posts by Mulberry Blue Add Mulberry Blue to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
John Vaught
UKC Forum Member

Bawl mouth tree dogs

I really don't have a preference since I have never owned both chop, and bawl mouth tree dogs at one time. I have found in training dogs that you can't be to hard on all the things you want because you are going to fall short of your wants. I do like a chop tree mouth dog, but I am hunting a dog at this time that is all bawl mouth both track, and tree his ability in other things makes me not worry a lot on his bawl mouth at the tree, and if I had one here that had his same ability that was bawl track, chop on tree I still wouldn't cull the bawl mouth dog just to let folks know I have a dog that bawls on track, and chops on the tree.......I sure wish I could train another one as good as this Hammer hound has been.

Old Post 08-04-2003 11:36 AM
John Vaught is offline Click Here to See the Profile for John Vaught Click here to Send John Vaught a Private Message Click Here to Email John Vaught Find more posts by John Vaught Add John Vaught to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pee dee
UKC Forum Member

the change

I realy like a bawl if the dog has a good change , to many chop mouthed dogs, cann`t tell the difference in them , my hearing is not what it was, cann`t tell tones like I did .

Old Post 08-04-2003 01:33 PM
pee dee is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pee dee Click here to Send pee dee a Private Message Find more posts by pee dee Add pee dee to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mad max
New UKC Forum Member

love a bawl mouth

i hunt blue dogs and i think there is nothing better than a bawl or a bawl/chop on the wood especialy if the dog sounds like he/she is dying.the dog i was hunting had one of the best bawl mouths on the wood i have heard.he is out of RAMBO 2 and a jimmy 2 female. this cross was made twice before RAMBO 2 died and most all of the pups had outstanding bawl mouths on the wood and most scream and squall some

Old Post 08-04-2003 05:45 PM
mad max is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mad max Click here to Send mad max a Private Message Find more posts by mad max Add mad max to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
blueticker
UKC Forum Member

Bawl Mouth

I have owned one bawl mouth hound that I enjoyed listening to her treed. Extra loud screaming bawl mouth. One bark ended with the next one on it's way. On a windy night or three or four miles away you could hear her over the chop mouth hounds. I would take them like that every time. I guess what made her mouth so good was the fact she was an extra nice coon dog.

Old Post 08-04-2003 06:00 PM
blueticker is offline Click Here to See the Profile for blueticker Click here to Send blueticker a Private Message Find more posts by blueticker Add blueticker to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jim Harris
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by John Carroll
I'll say this--I'd sooner have a bawl-mouthed tree dog than a chop mouthed track dog. [/B]

Amen to that. About every chop mouthed tree dog I've ever been to the woods with (Bluetick) also chopped on track, notice I said about every. Maybe we should turn this poll around and ask what you prefer, a chop mouthed track dog or a bawl mouthed track dog? Personally I've never owned a chop mouthed tree dog, but I have also never owned a chop mouthed track dog, so I guess to answer the question, I prefer a bawl mouthed tree dog.

Old Post 08-05-2003 11:26 PM
Jim Harris is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jim Harris Click here to Send Jim Harris a Private Message Click Here to Email Jim Harris Find more posts by Jim Harris Add Jim Harris to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pete
UKC Forum Member

i like them as long as they are treed and loud and i can tell the difference... .. i have one chop mouth track dog that anybody would think was treed.. she drives me nuts sometimes.. shes a great tree dog. doesnt jump just sits there and barks and i dont know how she can breathe.. i have one chop mouth tree dog. i guess its a long chop... take a picture of her and sometimes looks like her mouth is open a foot.... you cant see this with your eye.. if you cant hear her barking real plain better look for a way to drive closer. 3rd dog i have has a terrible squeaky voice... when treed she sounds tolerable and she makes it hard to hear other dogs... her voice stinks but carries for miles.. thats the three i have now. they are bear dogs , anytime they get treed im happy... so how much luck does anybody have breeding for voice.. ??? can you predict the voice a litter of pups will have by parents... this hasnt been the case with me.. i breed for ability. take the voice im stuck with.. when ive tried breeding for voice ive been disapointed.. all three dogs i just mentioned dont sound anything like any of their parents... all three are at least as loud as average and two probably louder than average.. pete

Old Post 08-06-2003 10:46 AM
pete is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pete Click here to Send pete a Private Message Click Here to Email pete Visit pete's homepage! Find more posts by pete Add pete to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
John Carroll
UKC Forum Member

Pete, I'm no breeder, but in my experience a good mouth is about the hardest thing t keep in a line, and about the easiest thing to lose.

One reason I like the Blue dogs is that historically, the breed has had a higher percentage of the kind of mouths I like, and I have also been able to find dogs that pleased me ability-wise.

One cross on a dog with a poor mouth will haunt you for generations to come.

I have a female right now that comes, on the female side, from a long line of some of the loudest dogs, male and female, that you ever heard. Her grandmother, Nt. Ch. Coney River Blue Rose, had a better mouth than most mlae dogs. Her mother was a loud bawl mouthed dog, on and on I could go.

But her sire, though himself a dog with a tremendous mouth, had one littermate brother with a chop mouth. Guess what? Her and one of her littermate brothers have chop mouths. It is pretty loud, but it aggravates me because I like her very well in every other way. I want to breed her if she finishes out, but I know if I do I am boing to put more chop mouth genes into my dogs than I want. If I do breed her, I am going to line breed back on some of the dogs in her pedigree that have the good mouths and see how I come out. Her mother's half brother is a top Gr. Nt. Ch. hound with a huge mouth. He is also out of that old Rose female that was such a coon dog and had such a tremendous mouth.

Because I am a pleasure hunter mostly, a dog's mouth is real important to me.

Old Post 08-21-2003 02:32 PM
John Carroll is offline Click Here to See the Profile for John Carroll Click here to Send John Carroll a Private Message Click Here to Email John Carroll Find more posts by John Carroll Add John Carroll to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jesse Bedward
UKC Forum Member

REDBONE FEMALE

I HAVE A FEMALE REDBONE THAT SEMI SILENT ON TRAIL BUT WHEN SHE DOES OPEN IT IS A 3-5 SECOND BAWL, WHEN SHE TREES IT IS WHINNING BAWL WITH CHOPS IN THE MIDDLE HERE AND THERE, SHE IS KINDA HARD TO TELL IF SHE HAS A LOCATE, HAVENT HUNTED HER THAT MUCH TO TELL.....BUT MY REDBONE MALE IS 98% SILENT AND WHEN HE TREES ITS FOR SURE A 100+ BPM ON TREE, HE IS REAL EASY TO TELL WHEN HE IS TREED, ITS THE ONLY TIME HE BARKS, EVER!!!

Old Post 08-21-2003 02:54 PM
Jesse Bedward is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jesse Bedward Click here to Send Jesse Bedward a Private Message Click Here to Email Jesse Bedward Visit Jesse Bedward's homepage! Find more posts by Jesse Bedward Add Jesse Bedward to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Blue Style

I got ......

a couple dogs I hunt steady, and one of them is a chop mouth all the way, with a long dying squall locate....it isnt a pretty mouth, and its hard to tell if she is treed sometimes, but her sire and dam were both bawl, I am hopin she will throw bawl mouth....Ive been spoiled, I have a super nice young male that has a clear pretty tenor bawl mouth on track, a rollover three bawl locate, then steady bawl on tree.....its pretty, and is diff than most dogs, so I can tell him apart....I would rather have a bawl mouth if I had to choose.....I am actually expecting a litter out of these two dogs, we will see what happens.....they are both solid coondogs, so as long as I can hear them, and can tell when they are trackin or treein, I dont care too much.....

Old Post 08-25-2003 05:40 AM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote