UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > UKC Free Classifieds > Coonhound Classifieds > Blueticks: Stud Dog and Kennel Promotion > Misty River Kennels
Pages (77): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Misty river
UKC Forum Member

Shadow

I hunted Shadow alone again last night. 1st drop, He hit a cold track about 100 yrds in, worked it down an old slough for about 200 yrds. circled and came back across the slough, crossed the road and treed in some panted, 20 year old pines. I searched the tree, but I really don't think he was there. I think he just did the best he could with what he had to work with. 2nd drop, I turned Shadow into what looked like an old lake with trees growing in it. It had about ankle deep water in it, with an old slough running thru it with pockets of water here and there that looked pretty deep. It looked to be about 3/4 mile long and about the same width. The banks around it were about 20' high. I had never turned loose there beforeShadow struck in there about 300 yrds. A pretty good track. He moved it about half way around that place and treed. I went to him and he was treed up a large oak, but it was so thick around there that I couldn't see anything. I already find myself counting the months until some of these leaves are gone. I think this will be a good spot to hunt when it gets a little dryer, If the gators are not to bad in there. We got out of there and called it a night.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 05-24-2014 01:29 AM
Misty river is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Misty river Click here to Send Misty river a Private Message Click Here to Email Misty river Find more posts by Misty river Add Misty river to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Misty river
UKC Forum Member

Shadow

I hunted Shadow alone again tonight, we only made one drop. He went in about 100 yrds and struck a good track and moved it deeper about 100 more yrds and treed. We walked in and looked at the coon. I didn't want to keep the young guy that was hunting with me out too late, for he works offshore in the oil fields, and has to leave out early in the morning and drive down into La. and catch a boat for a 7 hr. boat ride out to his rig. I've done that many times. I have a soft spot in my heart for the guys that work out there. Its a dangerous Job, Not quite as bad as it use to be, but still pretty rough.

Old Post 05-27-2014 06:29 AM
Misty river is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Misty river Click here to Send Misty river a Private Message Click Here to Email Misty river Find more posts by Misty river Add Misty river to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Darren Hollis
UKC Forum Member

SHADOW

Jack sounds like Shadow is a nice young hound. It is very frustrating with these leaves and not knowing if they have that coon or not. I have walked away from several trees lately thinking maybe they just missed the coon, only to turn around and shine one last time and see him look. Hope all is well and stay on him,

Darren

HOME OF:
GrChGrNtCh PR Southern Blue S&H’s Goose (Sparks&Hollis)
GrChGrNtCh PR Southern Blue Hardwood Cotton
GrNtCh PR Mose's Pink Floyd ( Co-Owned with Scott V)
Ch GrNtCh PR Frost Hollow Strap
ChNtCh PR Southern Blue Hardwood Dolly
ChGrNtCh PR Southern Blue Spanky ( Hollis & Hollis)
PR Southern Blue Cobb (NtChCh Uchtmans Andy x Ratliffs Blue Tell)
PR Southern Blue Betsy (Goose x Dual Grand Cotton)
(REST IN PEACE)
GrNtChGrCh PR Southern Blue Moonshine
GrNtChGrCh PR Southern Blue Frostbite
NtChGrCh PR Southern Blue Queen
NtChGrCh PR Blue Eyes Blue Jessie
NtCh PR Southern Frost Hollow Blue Bell(BB)
NtCh PR Southern Blue Hammer
NtCh PR Hollis' Southern Blue Maggie
NtCh PR Hollis' Bull Mtn. Pearl
GrCh PR Southern Blue Jet
PR Southern Blue Sam
PR Southern Blue Rattler
GrChGrNtCh PR Lovell’s Smokey River Blue Ann

Old Post 05-27-2014 01:02 PM
Darren Hollis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Darren Hollis Click here to Send Darren Hollis a Private Message Click Here to Email Darren Hollis Find more posts by Darren Hollis Add Darren Hollis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Misty river
UKC Forum Member

Mr. Darren Hollis

Shadow is making a nice young dog. He makes young dog mistakes, but he does a lot of good things too. I had some trouble with him on slicktails. He just thought he had to tree them if he crossed them, but hopefully I've taken care of that, time will tell. He's got a lot of heart and he likes to be by himself. I think he will be a good one someday. I will give him the chance. Thanks for posting up Mr. Hollis. ---------------Jack

Old Post 05-27-2014 07:04 PM
steve bankston
UKC Forum Member

Rain

Mr. Jack,
Getting much rain over your way? We had 5" as of yesterday and have over an inch in the gauge now from today so far. Sounds like you have had some nice hunts lately. I'm hoping to get a break in the rain so the hounds and I can go swim around and find one. The blackberries and huckleberries are ripe and the kitten's should be moving around soon. Haven't had a quick pop up in I don't know when. Visited Mr. Frank Erwin a week or so ago and he's doing good. Only difference is he grumbles about beagles now instead of blueticks! He loved it all his life and I sure miss making the rounds with him. Keep them in the woods Mr. Jack even if you have to put a lifejacket on them. Take care.

Old Post 05-30-2014 10:03 PM
steve bankston is offline Click Here to See the Profile for steve bankston Click here to Send steve bankston a Private Message Click Here to Email steve bankston Find more posts by steve bankston Add steve bankston to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Misty river
UKC Forum Member

Rain

Yea Steve we have been getting our share of it,would be nice to get it spread out over the next few months, but we'll just have to let the Master take care of that, I haven't been out much in the last week. I did get to take Shadow out last night, he hit a cold track about 150 yrds. in and worked it up an ole slough, crossed it a few times. He moved it back up the swamp and tree on an old fence row. It was so thick in there that you could not see anything. 2nd drop, We moved on down the swamp and turned loose. He went in about 100 yrds. and struck another cold track. I believe that dog is getting to where he likes those cold tracks. He trailed it up a slough for a ways and hushed for probably 10 min. and when he opened again he had crossed over to another slough and worked his way back down it into about a 15 acre cutover and that place is thick in there. It is next to where I have a deer stand and plot, and I've often wondered what I would do if I wounded a deer and he went in there. I listened to SHadow work in there for a while. It was getting on toward about 2clock this morning and it didn't sound like it was getting any better so I called him out and we called it a night.

Old Post 06-02-2014 05:29 AM
Misty river
UKC Forum Member

Early

I took Shadow out last night, I went just about dark. He had been striking a cold track and getting into a cutover. I was going to try to strike him a little hotter last night, so when he got into the cutover Shadow would have a little better track to work with. I turned Shadow loose and he didn't go far before he struck a good track, but it didn't go into the cutover. He turned up an old slough for about 100 yards and treed. We walked in to the tree. I usually hunt by myself about 90 per cent of the time, but my neighbor hunted with me last night. I'm glad he was with me. If he hadn't been there to shake vines and wrap on the tree. I'm sure I never would have seen the coon. Most of the time where I hunt this time of year you just have to trust in your dogs, especially if you are hunting by yourself. I've been hunting this line of dogs for a lot of years. They don't get them all, but they are pretty accurate.-----Good Hunting

Old Post 06-03-2014 05:17 PM
Misty river
UKC Forum Member

Shadow

I hunted Shadow again tonight, he struck an old feeding track. but he moved it up an old slough fo a couple hundred yrds. brought it out of there and crossed the old road a couple hundred yrds. down from where I was sitting and got into some 15 year old planted pines. these coons will come out into these pines where all these briars are about as high as your head and real thick.
these briars have a lot of berries on them that they are eating now, but it sure is rough in there. He moved it about 400 yrds. in there and treed. I cut my way in there to him. He was treed next to a low place in there that held water about 8" deep, and looked to be about an acre that grew nothing but vines. I cut my way across it and he was treed up a big tree in there that was loaded with vines that went into several more trees around there. I could only parcially see one side of the tree that he was treeing in, I thought I caught a glimpse of him one time, but I wasn't sure. So we left out of there and made another drop, but it was a real cold track. He moved it up a slough about 300 yrds, but he couldn't get it going so I called him out and we called it a night. I was wondering if every one else is having as much trouble with horse flies as we are in this area. Good Hunting

Old Post 06-07-2014 07:59 AM
steve bankston
UKC Forum Member

Horse flies

Mr. Jack, the horse flies are Bad here to. 2 weeks ago not so much but since then they been after me. Sounds like Shadow is getting it done for you. Do you go out much early in the morning? I did this morning and it was still muggy but cooler than last night. Got after a couple good tracks. They seem to stir more in the early AM the hotter it gets. Take care.

Old Post 06-07-2014 12:20 PM
steve bankston is offline Click Here to See the Profile for steve bankston Click here to Send steve bankston a Private Message Click Here to Email steve bankston Find more posts by steve bankston Add steve bankston to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Misty river
UKC Forum Member

Echo 11 Again

I got the chance to go up an visit my ole friend Mr. Troy Sheffield of Lane, Ok. this past week. I rode up there with my hunting buddy Jeremy Purvis. I sure did enjoy sitting around and talking Hounds and hunters with Troy. I tried to get him to brag some on Echo 11 Again, but he wouldn't do it. We talked about several of the breeders and coonhunters of today and yesterday. Troy only had good things to say about them and their dogs. We carried one of the better females up there to visit Echo 11 Again that I've ever hunted with, but she belongs to Jeremy, so I'll let him tell about that when he gets ready. The only thing that I'll say about her is she is the mother to my Shadow dog and I've got my name on the list for one. I sure enjoyed the visit Troy. Good Hunting---------Jack

Old Post 06-07-2014 10:16 PM
bebee
UKC Forum Member

Hey

I sent you a pm thanks

BEBEE'S KANSAS BLUE SUE II---GR NT CH PR MAILES BLUE SUE'S RATTLER X. PR BEBEE'S KANSAS BLUE SUE

BEBEE'S KANSAS BLUE SIS---GR NT CH PR MAILES BLUE SUE'S RATTLER X PR CRIPPS ROCK CREEK BLUE DAISY

DOGS GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
PR BEBEE'S KANSAS BLUE SUE

Old Post 06-09-2014 12:04 AM
bebee is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bebee Click here to Send bebee a Private Message Click Here to Email bebee Find more posts by bebee Add bebee to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Misty river
UKC Forum Member

Tramp 11 and Shadow

I took Tramp 11 and Shadow out last night. I turned them loose headed up between two sloughs. They bared to the leftand went up the bigger of the two sloughs. shadow struck about 225 yrds in and Tramp opened right behind him. They had a pretty good track going. They moved the track farther in for about 300 more yrds. and crossed the slough and went in to a section of planted pines about 10 yrs. old and real thick in there. I could barely hear them when they treed. I think tramp got the tree, but I wasn't real sure because they were away in there. I had to come back out of the swamp and come around to get to them. Thank god for 4-wheelers. They were both treed solid on an old fence row that ran through the pines. There were bigger hardwood trees on the fencerow. They were treed on a large, I think it was a cherry tree, that went into a bigger pine. I could see pretty good on the side that I was on, but I couldn't even get to where I could look on the other side. It was getting on toward midnight and the dogs were hotter than I was and I was wet with sweat so we called it a night.

Old Post 06-09-2014 12:20 AM
Misty river
UKC Forum Member

Tramp 11--------Shadow

1st drop I hunted Tramp alone. He went in about 400 yrds. struck a working track, moved jt on in about another 150 yrds. and treed. I rode into about 150 yrds. of him. H was in pretty good woods. I walked in to him. Hwas treed up a big oak wit big pines all around it. I couldn't get to where I could see anything. I took Tramp back to the house and picked up Shadow. 2nd drop I turned Shadow up an ole slough He went up it a couple hundred yards and struck a fair track, moved it on up the slough about 100 yrds, and crossed over to the other side, went through some thick planted pines and tree on a large oak on an ole fence row. I think Shadow just missed this one. I could see the tree pretty good. If he was there he was locked in tight and wasn't looking. We loaded up and called it a night. Good Hunting

Old Post 06-11-2014 03:44 AM
Misty river
UKC Forum Member

Tramp11 and Shadow

I was kind of tired tonight, so I only made one drop. I turned Tramp and shadowndown an ole slough. They went down it about 250 yrds. and struck a pretty good track. They moved it on down the slough about another 200 yrds. and treed right next to the road. They knew I was tired. I could see part of the tree from where I parked the 4-wheeler. That's my kind of dogs. They were treed up a big turkey pine. I looked for him for about 30 min. and was fixing to give up on him, but he finally looked at me. The dogs was ready to go again, but I loaded them up and called it a night

Old Post 06-12-2014 05:23 AM
Tom Jones
UKC Forum Member

Re: The Smokey River Females

quote:
Originally posted by Scott VH
Mr Smith,
I Know that Tramp had Smokey River Breeding and you may know of these females that I see quite a bit in the Pedigrees in some of my dogs. Smokey River BB's J-Bell, NiteCh Smokey River JBells Be, NiteCh Smokey River Be's Kate, Smokey River Hoss' Blu Star, NiteCh Smokey River Be's Blue Jean, GrNite Smokey River Jean's Blue June. I see these females come up time and again and just wondering if you know about any of them. Any information would be appreciated. I have always liked this breeding and have an interest in the ancestors.
Thanks,
Scott

kate was owned by rod rose for awhile and was off sextons jimmy x jbell's be (littermate to chief) kate was a sister to double springs echo and smokey river b's blue jean

Last edited by Tom Jones on 06-17-2014 at 08:57 PM

Old Post 06-17-2014 08:43 PM
Tom Jones is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Tom Jones Click here to Send Tom Jones a Private Message Click Here to Email Tom Jones Find more posts by Tom Jones Add Tom Jones to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Misty river
UKC Forum Member

Smokey River Females

Tom, I knew that Jean and Double Springs Echo were littermates, but I didn't know that Kate was also. Thanks for the information. The Smokey River females contributed a lot to a lot of the bluetick hounds that a lot of us are hunting today and will keep on doing so for a long time. good Hunting-------Jack

Old Post 06-18-2014 07:45 AM
Misty river
UKC Forum Member

Females

I loaded Sheba and Gin on my 4-wheelertonight. I had been wanting to get Gin in on a couple of hot coons. I had turned a couple of coons loose for her over in my coon pen and she did a pretty good job on them, but you know how females are. When I loaded Sheba up, I noticed that she was dripping blood. She is about a month early, so no more hunting her for a while. good hunting-------Jack

Old Post 06-19-2014 06:55 AM
Misty river
UKC Forum Member

Tramp and Shadow

I got kind of lazy this past weekend and didn't hunt any, but took tramp and Shadow out for short run last night. They struck a hot track pretty quick and moved it up the swamp about 100 yrds. and I don't know where it was a litter of coons or what, but they treed, but I could tell they were not staying put. they were moving around with their heads in the air and up 0n their hind legs and moving around from tree to tree. I moved in closer to where I could watch them and they finally settled on a large viney oak. I couldn't hardly see anything. I searched for a while. I thought they might have treed a litter of coons the way they were acting, but if they were there I never got them to look, but as thick as it was there could have been three or four bears up there and I wouldn't have seen them either. Its rough hunting alone this time of year in this part of the country. Good hunting Jack

Old Post 06-24-2014 09:29 PM
Darren Hollis
UKC Forum Member

Mr. Jack

Could you please give me a call sometime when it is convenient for you.
Thanks. Darren

HOME OF:
GrChGrNtCh PR Southern Blue S&H’s Goose (Sparks&Hollis)
GrChGrNtCh PR Southern Blue Hardwood Cotton
GrNtCh PR Mose's Pink Floyd ( Co-Owned with Scott V)
Ch GrNtCh PR Frost Hollow Strap
ChNtCh PR Southern Blue Hardwood Dolly
ChGrNtCh PR Southern Blue Spanky ( Hollis & Hollis)
PR Southern Blue Cobb (NtChCh Uchtmans Andy x Ratliffs Blue Tell)
PR Southern Blue Betsy (Goose x Dual Grand Cotton)
(REST IN PEACE)
GrNtChGrCh PR Southern Blue Moonshine
GrNtChGrCh PR Southern Blue Frostbite
NtChGrCh PR Southern Blue Queen
NtChGrCh PR Blue Eyes Blue Jessie
NtCh PR Southern Frost Hollow Blue Bell(BB)
NtCh PR Southern Blue Hammer
NtCh PR Hollis' Southern Blue Maggie
NtCh PR Hollis' Bull Mtn. Pearl
GrCh PR Southern Blue Jet
PR Southern Blue Sam
PR Southern Blue Rattler
GrChGrNtCh PR Lovell’s Smokey River Blue Ann

Old Post 06-24-2014 11:38 PM
Darren Hollis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Darren Hollis Click here to Send Darren Hollis a Private Message Click Here to Email Darren Hollis Find more posts by Darren Hollis Add Darren Hollis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
HILLBILLYS BLU
UKC Forum Member

Back To The Top For My Good Friend Jack!!!

Old Post 06-30-2014 02:40 AM
HILLBILLYS BLU is offline Click Here to See the Profile for HILLBILLYS BLU Click here to Send HILLBILLYS BLU a Private Message Click Here to Email HILLBILLYS BLU Find more posts by HILLBILLYS BLU Add HILLBILLYS BLU to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kenny357
UKC Forum Member

Jack, it was a pleasure meeting you, I hope you guys have a good safe ride home.

Old Post 06-30-2014 06:50 PM
Kenny357 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Kenny357 Click here to Send Kenny357 a Private Message Click Here to Email Kenny357 Find more posts by Kenny357 Add Kenny357 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Misty river
UKC Forum Member

Bill

Good to hear from you, thanks for taking care of me ole buddy, are you getting to do any hunting or are you still building your house. I hope its not as hot up here as it is here. I went for a little while last night, but the heat and humidity was so bad that I didn't stay long. Take care---------Jack

Old Post 07-01-2014 10:56 PM
Misty river
UKC Forum Member

Kenny 357

I sure enjoyed meeting you, and getting to see Phil again, and meeting your wives. You guys are really blessed. I really liked the looks of your Sally female. Your two Bo pups really looked good too. I sure would have liked to went hunting with you guys, but it always seems like were always in a rush, but we'll get back up there one day and make a couple of hunts. Our two Sally and Rebel pups are really looking good. Can't wait till they are old enough to put in the woods.
Take Care Kenny----------Jack

Old Post 07-02-2014 12:03 AM
Misty river
UKC Forum Member

Tramp

I loaded ole Tramp up last night kind of late. It kept threatening to rain, but it never did. I turned Tramp down a branch and he soon hit a cold track and started moving it out of there. I thought about catching him for he was moving into about a 150 acre cutover, but I didn't and he moved it on in there about 700 yrds and I heard tramp just scream. I just knew that he had been snake bit. He about half heartedly barked a couple more times and then nothing. I kept watching him on the Garmin and preparing to go in there and get him. When he started moving back toward me. He came out in about 15 min. and I checked him over real good, but other than being hot and real nervous acting he was alright. I don,t know what happened in there. The next turn out I cast him up an ole slough and he struck pretty quick and moved a hot track in about 100 yrds and treed. I looked at this one. We moved on up the swamp and he struck another pretty good track and moved it on in another 200 yrds and treed. I went to him and he was treed up a huge pine. I couldn't get anywhere that I could see any part of the tree, so I just petted him up some and we called it a night.

Last edited by Misty river on 07-03-2014 at 03:56 PM

Old Post 07-03-2014 03:52 PM
Misty river
UKC Forum Member

Doll 1V and Gin

I hunted Doll 1V and Gin tonight. Doll 1V is out of my ole Dual Grand Lake x Doll 111. Lake and Doll 111 are both gone now, but they are buried here, as Doll 1V will be when she goes. Gin is out of my good friend Mr. Bill Goode's Gr. Ch. Nite Ch. Hillbilly's Smokey River Dutch x Gr. Nite Ch. Gr.Ch. "PR" Vining's Hammer Head, That now belongs to Mr. Scott VH of Wisconsin. Mr. Bill is from West Virginia. Doll Struck a good hot track pretty quick. Just what the pup needed. Gin got with her. Doll didn't go but about 50 yrds and treed. Gin was right with her. She didn't bark treed until I got there and started petting her, but she was up on that tree smelling just as high as she could reach. I shot the coon out and she really liked that. They fought the coon around there for a little while and I got the coon and hung it up for a minute and she treed on it, so I,m pretty sure it won't take but a few more tracks like that and she'll be doing her thing. I brought them on back to the house after that. I'll let her think about that till Monday night and we'll try it again. Good Hunting-------Jack

Old Post 07-06-2014 06:41 AM