UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Breeds > Black & Tans > Help a newcomer learn
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
B&Thuntin'gal
New UKC Forum Member

Help a newcomer learn

I know nothing about black and tans other than that's all I my daddy hunted with and I love coon hunting. I want to get a dog but know nothing about bloodlines and what to look for.
Help...here is the puppy I am looking at..
sire is PR "Gomer's" Midnight Rooster
dam PR Gomer's Tillin Tilly

he was born 8/26/14

If I purchase I will need lots of experienced wisdom on starting him and how to get him going.

Thanks in advance

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 11-24-2014 03:48 AM
B&Thuntin'gal is offline Click Here to See the Profile for B&Thuntin'gal Click here to Send B&Thuntin'gal a Private Message Find more posts by B&Thuntin'gal Add B&Thuntin'gal to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Christophernidy
UKC Forum Member

Where ya located?

Best advice I can give ya just getting back into it is to find a started or finished dog. Starting a pup is a lot of work. Get your feet wet and figure the great sport out again. Then get a pup to start. If your close to ne Ohio your always welcome to tag along. Good luck to you.

Give me a call anytime and we can cut loose some black dogs. 330-553-0148

Old Post 11-24-2014 04:50 AM
Christophernidy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Christophernidy Click here to Send Christophernidy a Private Message Click Here to Email Christophernidy Find more posts by Christophernidy Add Christophernidy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rweller
UKC Forum Member

Re: Where ya located?

quote:
Originally posted by Christophernidy
Best advice I can give ya just getting back into it is to find a started or finished dog. Starting a pup is a lot of work. Get your feet wet and figure the great sport out again. Then get a pup to start. If your close to ne Ohio your always welcome to tag along. Good luck to you.

I agree with Chris. Get you a dog that can already tree a coon. Then he/she can help teach you. Then in a year or two you can try tackling a pup. Pups are a lot of work and may never work out.

GR.Nt.Ch. Pr Black Magic Queen
Past home of Gr.Nt.Ch. Splitters Magic Otis 2014 Black and Tan Days King of Hunt. GRNITECH'PR' Roughton's Black Splitter X Gr.Nt.Ch. Black Magic Queen

Old Post 11-24-2014 05:06 AM
rweller is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rweller Click here to Send rweller a Private Message Click Here to Email rweller Find more posts by rweller Add rweller to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
B&Thuntin'gal
New UKC Forum Member

I am in NorthEast Missouri. I have a neighbor that has a finished Black and Tan and is going to help me with the pup. Really can't afford a started/finished dog right now. We have a lot of irons in the fire. Horses cattle etc
What does anyone think about the pups bloodline I posted anyone know anything About them?

Old Post 11-24-2014 04:48 PM
B&Thuntin'gal is offline Click Here to See the Profile for B&Thuntin'gal Click here to Send B&Thuntin'gal a Private Message Find more posts by B&Thuntin'gal Add B&Thuntin'gal to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rweller
UKC Forum Member

personally I have never heard of them. Can you post there pedigree? That might help some people.

GR.Nt.Ch. Pr Black Magic Queen
Past home of Gr.Nt.Ch. Splitters Magic Otis 2014 Black and Tan Days King of Hunt. GRNITECH'PR' Roughton's Black Splitter X Gr.Nt.Ch. Black Magic Queen

Old Post 11-24-2014 04:53 PM
rweller is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rweller Click here to Send rweller a Private Message Click Here to Email rweller Find more posts by rweller Add rweller to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
berger
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by B&Thuntin'gal
I am in NorthEast Missouri. I have a neighbor that has a finished Black and Tan and is going to help me with the pup. Really can't afford a started/finished dog right now. We have a lot of irons in the fire. Horses cattle etc
What does anyone think about the pups bloodline I posted anyone know anything About them?

I guess for me I wouldn't worry so much about the bloodlines. If you are purchasing this pup and could hunt with the parents to see if you like what they can do in the woods might just be as important though genetics can help.
Also never heard of either dog and it doesn't say anything about the bloodlines just the name of the dog's. If you are able to let the pup run loose as much as possible for it's first 4 months of it life. haul it around and take it to the woods for walks will help in it's development and progress.

319-201-8445

Old Post 11-24-2014 06:18 PM
berger is offline Click Here to See the Profile for berger Click here to Send berger a Private Message Find more posts by berger Add berger to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
B&Thuntin'gal
New UKC Forum Member

I have the papers in pdf form...anyone know how to add them to this forum

Old Post 11-24-2014 06:39 PM
Christophernidy
UKC Forum Member

Like Berger said don't worry about bloodlines just hunt with the parents if you can. Just be careful not to hunt the pup with other dogs all the time.

Give me a call anytime and we can cut loose some black dogs. 330-553-0148

Old Post 11-24-2014 10:58 PM
Christophernidy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Christophernidy Click here to Send Christophernidy a Private Message Click Here to Email Christophernidy Find more posts by Christophernidy Add Christophernidy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote