UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Big Game Hunting > bear guns ?
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
thomasg
UKC Forum Member

bear guns ?

what kind of gun do you carry . i have a 35 marlin leaver action . will this gun be effective enough to bring down a bear ?thinking about trying to bag one this fall .

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 07-20-2017 11:37 PM
thomasg is offline Click Here to See the Profile for thomasg Click here to Send thomasg a Private Message Click Here to Email thomasg Find more posts by thomasg Add thomasg to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kirschner
UKC Forum Member

It sure will. That old caliber with a 200 grain bullet does a dandy job on a black bear.

906-250-0089
Upper MI

Old Post 07-21-2017 12:27 AM
kirschner is offline Click Here to See the Profile for kirschner Click here to Send kirschner a Private Message Click Here to Email kirschner Find more posts by kirschner Add kirschner to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
markwood
UKC Forum Member

gun

that ought to do it we carry single shot 444 marlin shot placement more important than cal though have had kids kill them with a 223 only bear ive ever killed was with a 357 mag that was out of necessaty though

Old Post 07-21-2017 01:06 AM
markwood is offline Click Here to See the Profile for markwood Click here to Send markwood a Private Message Click Here to Email markwood Find more posts by markwood Add markwood to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Todd K / UKC
Administrator

35 Rem is one of my favorites. I would say that is nearly ideal as a bear gun. I have an old Marlin 336 also. Old school north woods rifle. Love it.

Old Post 07-21-2017 01:39 PM
Todd K / UKC is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Todd K / UKC Click here to Send Todd K / UKC a Private Message Click Here to Email Todd K / UKC Find more posts by Todd K / UKC Add Todd K / UKC to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JoeJones252
UKC Forum Member

I like a slingshot with a ball bearing lol.

Old Post 07-21-2017 01:51 PM
JoeJones252 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JoeJones252 Click here to Send JoeJones252 a Private Message Click Here to Email JoeJones252 Find more posts by JoeJones252 Add JoeJones252 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cry Tough Blues
UKC Forum Member

12 Gauge slugs

Old Post 07-21-2017 02:29 PM
Cry Tough Blues is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cry Tough Blues Click here to Send Cry Tough Blues a Private Message Find more posts by Cry Tough Blues Add Cry Tough Blues to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
steve pickett
UKC Forum Member

3006 with 180 grain shells

Old Post 07-22-2017 04:26 AM
steve pickett is offline Click Here to See the Profile for steve pickett Click here to Send steve pickett a Private Message Visit steve pickett's homepage! Find more posts by steve pickett Add steve pickett to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lee Wolford
New UKC Forum Member

Any gun works fine if you can shoot it. If your a horrible shot better go with the biggest possible caliber or RPG. lol

Old Post 07-22-2017 06:04 PM
Lee Wolford is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lee Wolford Click here to Send Lee Wolford a Private Message Click Here to Email Lee Wolford Find more posts by Lee Wolford Add Lee Wolford to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
glynnsdawgs63
UKC Forum Member

Uberti 45.70 for long gun and Ruger Blackhawk 44 mag as sidearm

Glynn Holmes
478-662-4238
www.tellsblueticks.webs.com

Old Post 07-24-2017 10:22 PM
glynnsdawgs63 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for glynnsdawgs63 Click here to Send glynnsdawgs63 a Private Message Visit glynnsdawgs63's homepage! Find more posts by glynnsdawgs63 Add glynnsdawgs63 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
thomasg
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by glynnsdawgs63
Uberti 45.70 for long gun and Ruger Blackhawk 44 mag as sidearm

Glynn Holmes
478-662-4238
www.tellsblueticks.webs.com

when i was 16 years old i had a marlin 45/70 leaver action . i got excited making a shot at a deer and the stock was resting on my collar bone and broke it .lol blew both front shoulders off the deer .lol traded the 45/70 for a .243 sissy gun .lol

Old Post 07-28-2017 04:15 AM
thomasg is offline Click Here to See the Profile for thomasg Click here to Send thomasg a Private Message Click Here to Email thomasg Find more posts by thomasg Add thomasg to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
B&Ttreed2017
Banned

8 guage?

Qualified for UKC World 2017
Won his first 4 Shows in a row
Made Champion at 11 months
Qualified for the Illinois Govenors Cup 2017
Owned & Handled by 10 yr old Lil Darik
Titus has been found!!! 4 hours north of us. Dariks Happy Again!
God Is Great!!

Bradleys Tenacious Super Star
Leons Darkside x Blue Label Lilly
2 Wins towards UKC Show Champion
Owned & Handled by 9 yr old Bradley__________________________
618-320-0880 Cell
~Rest In Peace Ole Boy~
Biehls Tenacious Jet
Hobo Hoss x Kansas Jewell

Old Post 07-31-2017 04:07 AM
B&Ttreed2017 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for B&Ttreed2017 Click here to Send B&Ttreed2017 a Private Message Click Here to Email B&Ttreed2017 Find more posts by B&Ttreed2017 Add B&Ttreed2017 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
steve pickett
UKC Forum Member

My grandson is wanting t go on a bear hunt he is 12 he has a 243,is a 243 big enough t take bear hunting

Old Post 08-19-2017 07:52 PM
steve pickett is offline Click Here to See the Profile for steve pickett Click here to Send steve pickett a Private Message Visit steve pickett's homepage! Find more posts by steve pickett Add steve pickett to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hunter4life96
New UKC Forum Member

We had a boy with us hunting that year he was 6 years old. He killed a good bear with a 243 it's all about shot placement.

Old Post 08-20-2017 12:18 AM
Hunter4life96 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Hunter4life96 Click here to Send Hunter4life96 a Private Message Click Here to Email Hunter4life96 Find more posts by Hunter4life96 Add Hunter4life96 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
steve pickett
UKC Forum Member

Ok,thanks he is usually a good shot he shoots the coons out for me with no problem in the trees he has killed several deer also

Old Post 08-22-2017 02:27 AM
Gary Roberson
UKC Forum Member

Check out the little Ruger Model 96 lever gun in .44 mag that I used on CARNIVORE for bear and lions. The 240 grain Hornady bullet has a lot of stopping power.
Adios,
Gary

Old Post 08-22-2017 03:15 PM
Gary Roberson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Gary Roberson Click here to Send Gary Roberson a Private Message Click Here to Email Gary Roberson Find more posts by Gary Roberson Add Gary Roberson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Todd K / UKC
Administrator

quote:
Originally posted by Gary Roberson
Check out the little Ruger Model 96 lever gun in .44 mag that I used on CARNIVORE for bear and lions. The 240 grain Hornady bullet has a lot of stopping power.
Adios,
Gary

I would like to check that gun out. You should sell it to me!

Old Post 08-22-2017 05:20 PM
Todd K / UKC is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Todd K / UKC Click here to Send Todd K / UKC a Private Message Click Here to Email Todd K / UKC Find more posts by Todd K / UKC Add Todd K / UKC to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gary Roberson
UKC Forum Member

Sorry Todd, they don't make it any more. If you find one, in .44 or .357, I highly suggest that you cabbage onto it. They are hard to find and will appreciate in value.
Adios,
Gary

Old Post 08-22-2017 05:39 PM
Gary Roberson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Gary Roberson Click here to Send Gary Roberson a Private Message Click Here to Email Gary Roberson Find more posts by Gary Roberson Add Gary Roberson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote